the dyrt
Raystown Lake, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Raystown Lake Camping Reviews
Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Great Family Fun!

Great campground! Lots of fishing, swimming and you can rent kayaks or paddle boats. Beach had a concession stand and camping was very shaded and secluded! No cell service but you won't even miss it.

Fun fun!

Love going here with family and friends.

Excellent

Perfect place for a family camping trip.

Birch Run Appalachian Trail Shelter

Great spot located in a wooded area. Fresh flowing water in the front with an incline from beside & behind the shelter. There’s a newer built privy up hill. And the shelter is located between Quarry Gap & Tom’s Run.

Very nice and beautiful park!

Not only is it a beautiful area hike through or to tent in but there’s many interesting and historical spots located throughout Michaux Forest that are within hiking distance.

Great spot in PA

Very wooded and clean State Park. There is an Appalachian Trail Museum, tons of wildlife and a nice General Store here to see. Campsites were very private, and we met two of the greatest people and fellow campers ever! If traveling in an RV you will need to fill your fresh water tank as each site does not have water hook up. The cell service is “spotty” as they state on their website, but hey you are camping.

Great cabins!

We come here every year for a family reunion and always rent one of the cabins. We love coming here. The park is huge and there are lots of things to do. You can go to the beach, kayak, hike, or go outside the park to explore some caves or a bat church. We will continue to come here every year!

Primitive camping on a lake

Camping at Lake Raystown…it's a primitive campground with no electricity. Get your water at a hand pump and they have pit toilets. Nice place to camp along the lake. Water sites are available.

Nice!

I grew up camping here and it's a great place to stay! Penn's Creek runs beside it…it's a lot of fun to float the creek. Great fishing too! No cell service.

Great!

Great campground! They have a swimming area, concession stand, showers, bathrooms and changing area. You can camp, fish, boat, kayak, hike and swim! There isn't any cell service as you are way back in the mountain but it's so beautiful and relaxing you won't care!!

Beautiful and peaceful

This campground is beautiful! It's so peaceful and serene. There's a nice creek that rund through it, picnic pavilions and a playground for the kids! They used to have a swimming pool but they removed it a few years ago.

Gorgeous Riverside Camping

Large grassy sites right on the Juniata River. Tubing, canoeing, swimming. Nice pool. GORGEOUS landscaping. Very friendly.

Serene and quiet

This camp is located in the middle of the tuscarora mountains right on a beautiful little creek. Lots of trails come right into the camp. If you know where to hike to there are 3 leantos starting about a mile back. The bathrooms are modernized and there is potable water.

Nice campground. Bad water pressure.

I honestly struggled with what to rate this campground. I loved the area. Very peaceful and quite, but close to State College (a must since we were in town for a Penn State game). I also loved historic Bellefonte (I highly recommend eating at the Governors Pub). It had a cute little dog park, nice play ground, bouncy pillow, gem mining, pool, etc.- what you expect to find at a KOA. Once we were in it, I even loved our site once we were in it. It was very secluded, private, quite and woodsy. That being said- getting into the site was almost impossible. We didn't think we'd be able to do it. And as it was, our slide out was about an inch away from a tree on one side and up against a raised concrete pad on the other. For a smaller camper, it was probably perfect, but I really don't think they had any business putting a camper our size in that site. Width wise, the site was large and had some sort of shrub growing in the middle of the entrance which helped with giving it more privacy. Then there was the water pressure… or lack of water pressure. Saying it trickled out would be generous. Though there was a lot about the campground that I liked, I won't go back again just based on the water pressure alone. I've never been that stressed out trying to rinse my hair… It could very well have just been a problem with our site- we were in the very back on the hill. Or it may be a problem everyone was experiencing. I'm not sure which is why I gave it a 4 rating. I liked everything about it but that.

family friendly

This campground is very clean and family friendly. they have mini golf,fishing, and special events on weekends. the office staff are very friendly and helpful.

Great campground

Great campground, people were very friendly. Has a small store, very quiet, good view of the water in most areas of the campground. The guy that runs the campground is super nice and helpful.

Lots of Space

beautiful park with a lot of space between campers. Cute beach with an odd gate? Bring your kayak!

Small but cute

The fishing hasn’t exactly been amazing, but it was a nice place to take the kids and hang out for a day.

Quiet place!

This place is so quiet and so well maintained! The trails are awesome and the swimming pool is great for the kids in the summer!

beautiful and kid friendly!

The lake is so clean and refreshing and we have such beautiful views from our camp site. We went down to the swim beach and our kiddo made sand castles and swam in the clear water. We can’t wait to come back soon!

Great Family getaway!

Absolutely love this place! Dog friendly, park rangers are great, the facilities are super clean and accessible! just a great overall atmosphere!

Ranger Review: RoM Pack at Pine Grove Furnace State Park

Campground Review

We stopped at Pine Grove Furnace State Park for a little camping break on a drive to Virginia for a family vacation. What a great spot! We got the last available campsite for the night we stayed - I booked ahead of time by calling the campground office and they were very nice and helpful.

We stayed in site 29. It was nice and level with a large parking pad that could accommodate a camper or trailer. There's also a level tent pad if you are tenting, it, and a picnic table and fire pit. We were right at the intersection near the campground entrance and one of the other loops, but it wasn't noisy at all. The drinking water was right next to our site, which was handy. Bathrooms were close by and were fairly clean, and showers were free. There was firewood for sale at the host site, and the camp host was very friendly.

The park has two lakes for swimming, with a rail trail that separates them, so they are easily bikeable. There are some great trails for running/hiking - the park is the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail! We did a very nice run from our campsite out to the scenic viewpoint on top of Pole Steeple (about 7ish miles). The lake is great to jump in and cool off after a summer run. The park is also just north of the expansive Michaux State Forest, which has miles of trails for ATVs, biking, hiking/running.

The Park also has an old iron furnace (hence the name) with historical information about it. There is an Appalachian trail museum, which was very neat to check out, and the old Ironmaster's Mansion serves as a hostel and event venue. There is a well stocked camp/park store at the entrance.

Cell service is pretty much nonexistent in the campground, so keep this in mind if you can't be out of touch (we had Verizon). We loved our stay here, and would definitely go back.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the RoM Pack by RoM Outdoors. This is a pack that unfolds completely to serve as a blanket, and can also be used as an emergency poncho in inclement weather.

What I liked about the pack:

1. It seems like it would be difficult to unfold and then re-fold back into the pack, but it is actually very easy. I did it once with the instructions, and then was able to do it multiple times after that without them. The instructions were easy to follow.
  2. there is a drawstring bag that comes with the pack, and the two outer pouches are removable as well, so you have a place to put your stuff if you're unfolding the pack.
  3. The material is very thick and durable, and weather resistant. In a prolonged downpour I think it would eventually soak through, but it would offer pretty good protection for a quick shower (or a little snow!)

What I think could be better

1. The sizing - I have a small build, and with the straps tightened all the way it was still very big/loose on me. The material is pretty heavy, so even empty it sagged down some. With anything of substance in the pack it wasn't very comfortable because it pulled away from my back.
  2. When opened as a blanket, the plastic buckles are underneath the material. You have to be careful about what kind of surface you are putting it down on, and I wouldn't walk on it, etc - these definitely have the potential to break.

These packs are a very interesting concept, and I can see a variety of uses, particularly for people who may be out in the woods in one place for an extended period of time and don't need to carry a lot of gear in the bag (hunters come to mind for sure). I don't think this would be comfortable to do any real hiking with, but would make a great picnic bag or bag for festivals or sporting events where you can take your stuff out of it and spread out for the day.

Clean sites with nearby water and bathrooms.

We used the group tent sites for our Girl Scout weekend. It was a fun weekend. We participated in the Outdoors for Everyone event. The site was clean, decently level area for tents, accessible to potable water and bathrooms with showers. Rangers were wonderful to work with in setting up teaching opportunities for the girls. We will definately go back.

Clean , friendly , a lot to do .

It’s a very nice place to camp , people are friendly , boating -fishing-swimming-hiking . Something to do for everyone.

Great camping experience

Plenty of trails to hike from easy to difficult. Local history is right around the corner with the Lost Children of the Alleghenies Monument. Blue Knob houses the second highest peak in PA. The bathrooms were clean. Camp sites are rocky so be sure to bring a mat if tent camping. The park does not offer fire wood for purchase; bring extra.

Small, Cute

Nice enough area, though it is small.

Beautiful, secluded!

There are a ton of options for activities in the area!

Family Reunion & Birthday Party favorite!!!

We have had countless family gatherings here over the years. The fishing is good, the facilities are in the process of being updated, and there are plenty of picnic tables!