Raystown Lake, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Raystown Lake Camping Reviews
Beautiful park

This is a beautiful camping area and around Halloween they have a costume parade and a trick or treat at the campsites. Check with park services for dates.

A Hidden Gem In Central PA

The campground has approximately 35 sites, most with water and electric, which is rare for many PA state parks. The sites are mostly level, gravel, and good sized for averaged sized RV’s. Larger rigs may have some issues with site length on a few sites, so check ahead of time, but there are a couple pull through sites. Fire rings and picnic tables are at each site, but no wifi in the campground area. We did have cell phone service at our campsite.

The sites along the outer side of the look are more wooded than the inner sites.  The bathhouse is modern, very clean and well maintained. A playground is near bathhouse in the campground, along with several hiking trails. The dump station is easily accessible. Firewood is also available for purchase at the campground.

The campground is located across the road from the actual state park, which is beautiful and well maintained. A large lake is the centerpiece surrounded by multiple hiking trails, picnic areas, and a large swimming pool/aquatics area (in season). The road going to the park and campground is well maintained, with very wide shoulders for easy access, biking, and running. Fishing and boat rental are available on the lake.

We had a wonderful weekend at LBSP and plan to include it on our “Go-To” places to visit and camp.

Use caution

Let me start by saying that I assume the campground was not even fully open for the season yet so perhaps some of these problems occurred over the winter and they just hadn't had time to get everything in order yet. That being said, when we arrived the office was locked and we walked around for awhile before a woman (owner?) came by on a golf cart and told us to wait a few more minutes for her. Then, when we finally got checked in, she took my husband to show him where the site was. It was WAY too small and they should have known that ahead of time since they knew our trailer length. We literally would have been hanging over a hill. She took us to what she said was the only other available site. Looked like it had been a back in at one time, but she made us pull in meaning our truck was directly behind the trailer ahead of us with no way for us to drive off the site. We were with friends who were doing the driving that weekend, but if we had been on our own we would not have been able to drive anywhere- especially if the sites on either side of is were occupied. There was a burned out electrical box in front of our door and the water pipe was busted open. She told us we had to use the site down the hill from us for water, but our hose wasnt long enough. We talked about just using the bathroom there and not hooking up to water, but the womens room was locked with an out of order sign. After my daughter and I had to use the mens room, we went to walmart to buy a longer hose. That pipe was leaking and when we unhooked to leave it started gushing water and we couldn't turn it off. Had to go back down to the office to get someone (they were still sitting there watching the water when we left 20 min later).Bench and picnic table at the site were falling apart. There were farm animals there that did not look well cared for- though I'm certainly not an expert. Looks like it was a nice campground 20 years ago, but doesnt seem to have been maintained. To top it off, because it was considered a football weekend, they made us pay for 2 nights instead of just the 1 that we stayed. Total rip off considering the accomadations. We will not be back, but again, if they do some repairs and work on their customer service it could be a really nice place.

Quiet and peaceful

The owner is very friendly and helpfull. The location on the water adds for a great view. Electric only.

Love this place!

This is a great little campground with lots of electric sites and nice, updated bathrooms. It’s at the midpoint of the Appalachian Trail so there are lots of great hikes as well as a nice path between the two lakes. Our new favorite in Pennsylvania!

excellent super friendly family campground

we stayed at buttonwood for the first time the end of August. probably the friendliest campground I’ve stayed out. when you arrive you are met by a staff member on a golf cart that takes you to your campsite. he helped us back in and get level and offered to bring us ice or wood if we needed it. from there it was “take your time and head down to the office when you are ready to check in”. there is tons to do for the kids. ours really enjoyed the bounce pillow, laser tag and peddle cars the most. there is also a small pool and nice canopies around the pool to sit under. my wife’s favorite part was the wine bar on site with local made wine and wine slushees!

the campground is divided by a local road and has 2 different feels. the lower section is right by the river with several riverfront sites and many river view sites. the upper side has the playground and kids activities and feels more set out in the country.

only downsides I can say about this campground are the sites are small. we where on the upper side and it felt more like tailgating than camping but everyone was super friendly. also plan on spending $20 per person for an activity wristband that includes all the extras including mini golf and tubing shuttle.

Not impressed

While the area is beautiful, we were not impressed with the campground. We have a small 19” travel trailer which was almost impossible to park due to very tight sites. Sites are almost on top of each other - we had a group of people with tents next to us that were basically on top of us. Not their fault…it was the size of the sites. Staff was not very helpful at checkin. It was relaxing being away but won’t be back. We did hear that they are remodeling campground so hopefully they provide more room for the sites

Very nice!

We camped here over Columbus Day weekend. We wanted a quiet escape. We had one of the few full hook up sites. Very quiet and peaceful. Lots to do at the lake if you want or quiet enough to just kick back. Bath houses were very clean. Staff was pleasant.

Great place!

Wonderful state park. Spacious sites! Beautiful scenery. Nice hikes for various hiking levels. Quiet and relaxing. Clean shower houses.

Great place!!!

Really loved this campground! Had a blast with my family here on a family reunion trip. Here are a few things I loved about this place:

1. Hiking- some gorgeous hikes nearby!! The views are amazing, and the trails are in great condition. My pup loved these hikes, too!

2. Campsite is clean! Nothing makes me happier than a clean campsite. There are dumpsters where you can dump your trash which I think helps a ton! There is also a picnic table and fire ring. We enjoyed making s’mores at night and sitting around the campsite! Also the campsite spots are well separated. We didn’t feel like we were right on top of each other.

3. Biking trail- we brought our mountain bikes and enjoyed some great biking with the family and dog!

4. Road was great to the campsite. We have been to a few campgrounds where the road leading to the place is horrible and needs high clearance. This wasn’t the case.

If you go during the summer, definitely bring bug spray. We had some and used the whole bottle because the mosquitos were so bad!!

Full of adventure!

thankful to have raystown family campground so close to home. Can paddle and hike year round and camp in the spring, summer and fall. Amazing camp sites and several have beautiful lookouts over the lake

Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Great Family Fun!

Great campground! Lots of fishing, swimming and you can rent kayaks or paddle boats. Beach had a concession stand and camping was very shaded and secluded! No cell service but you won't even miss it.

Fun fun!

Love going here with family and friends.

Excellent

Perfect place for a family camping trip.

Birch Run Appalachian Trail Shelter

Great spot located in a wooded area. Fresh flowing water in the front with an incline from beside & behind the shelter. There’s a newer built privy up hill. And the shelter is located between Quarry Gap & Tom’s Run.

Very nice and beautiful park!

Not only is it a beautiful area hike through or to tent in but there’s many interesting and historical spots located throughout Michaux Forest that are within hiking distance.

Great spot in PA

Very wooded and clean State Park. There is an Appalachian Trail Museum, tons of wildlife and a nice General Store here to see. Campsites were very private, and we met two of the greatest people and fellow campers ever! If traveling in an RV you will need to fill your fresh water tank as each site does not have water hook up. The cell service is “spotty” as they state on their website, but hey you are camping.

Great cabins!

We come here every year for a family reunion and always rent one of the cabins. We love coming here. The park is huge and there are lots of things to do. You can go to the beach, kayak, hike, or go outside the park to explore some caves or a bat church. We will continue to come here every year!

Primitive camping on a lake

Camping at Lake Raystown…it's a primitive campground with no electricity. Get your water at a hand pump and they have pit toilets. Nice place to camp along the lake. Water sites are available.

Nice!

I grew up camping here and it's a great place to stay! Penn's Creek runs beside it…it's a lot of fun to float the creek. Great fishing too! No cell service.

Great!

Great campground! They have a swimming area, concession stand, showers, bathrooms and changing area. You can camp, fish, boat, kayak, hike and swim! There isn't any cell service as you are way back in the mountain but it's so beautiful and relaxing you won't care!!

Beautiful and peaceful

This campground is beautiful! It's so peaceful and serene. There's a nice creek that rund through it, picnic pavilions and a playground for the kids! They used to have a swimming pool but they removed it a few years ago.

Gorgeous Riverside Camping

Large grassy sites right on the Juniata River. Tubing, canoeing, swimming. Nice pool. GORGEOUS landscaping. Very friendly.

Serene and quiet

This camp is located in the middle of the tuscarora mountains right on a beautiful little creek. Lots of trails come right into the camp. If you know where to hike to there are 3 leantos starting about a mile back. The bathrooms are modernized and there is potable water.

Nice campground. Bad water pressure.

I honestly struggled with what to rate this campground. I loved the area. Very peaceful and quite, but close to State College (a must since we were in town for a Penn State game). I also loved historic Bellefonte (I highly recommend eating at the Governors Pub). It had a cute little dog park, nice play ground, bouncy pillow, gem mining, pool, etc.- what you expect to find at a KOA. Once we were in it, I even loved our site once we were in it. It was very secluded, private, quite and woodsy. That being said- getting into the site was almost impossible. We didn't think we'd be able to do it. And as it was, our slide out was about an inch away from a tree on one side and up against a raised concrete pad on the other. For a smaller camper, it was probably perfect, but I really don't think they had any business putting a camper our size in that site. Width wise, the site was large and had some sort of shrub growing in the middle of the entrance which helped with giving it more privacy. Then there was the water pressure… or lack of water pressure. Saying it trickled out would be generous. Though there was a lot about the campground that I liked, I won't go back again just based on the water pressure alone. I've never been that stressed out trying to rinse my hair… It could very well have just been a problem with our site- we were in the very back on the hill. Or it may be a problem everyone was experiencing. I'm not sure which is why I gave it a 4 rating. I liked everything about it but that.

family friendly

This campground is very clean and family friendly. they have mini golf,fishing, and special events on weekends. the office staff are very friendly and helpful.

Great campground

Great campground, people were very friendly. Has a small store, very quiet, good view of the water in most areas of the campground. The guy that runs the campground is super nice and helpful.

Lots of Space

beautiful park with a lot of space between campers. Cute beach with an odd gate? Bring your kayak!