The best DRIVE IN camping near
North Zanesville , OHIO

Most Recent North Zanesville Camping Reviews
Not for me

This is an amazing place. I felt like I had arrived at a cult gathering. Lots of kids on bikes and families having fun. Sounded like live music after dark accompanied by whooping and hollering and people having fun. I hiked with my dogs before leaving and got lost for awhile. The place is big. Did not go into shower or any Other facility. This is a certain kind of place but not for me. Sites on top of each other.

Beautiful, peaceful setting

We came to Shadow Lake in October to camp for the month. To get here, you must drive through the rolling hills of Southern Ohio, which is absolutely gorgeous in October! The campground is beautiful and peaceful, especially at this time of year as most of the campers have either gone south, closed up or pulled out for the season. There are several ponds located on the property and trails meander along and around the 100 acre property. We see deer almost every evening. There are a couple hiking trails nearby (Piatt Park and Raven’s Rock) which have incredible rock formations in the gorges. The owners, Lynn and his wife, recently purchased the resort and are very friendly and helpful. They are enhancing the amenities. Shadow lake is an excellent place to camp whether in a tent or a big rig!

Gorgeous

Beautiful setting. Campground has many permanent sites. Clean and spacious.

Nice little campsite

Cool little campground. First come first served with no reservations accepted. The sites are clean with picnic tables and fire rings and can accommodate small RVs. There are a couple of vault style outhouses, dump stations and a couple of water stations as well. No electric or water hookups, though. Came on a Thursday and there were only two sites occupied so it was nice and quiet even though there is a bit of road noise from the nearby roads. There’s also an easy 1 mile trail down to Burr Cove proper. The sites are $15 ($10 in the off season when the water is turned off) and you pay at an honor box at the entrance once you pick your spot.

Boring spot with lots of horse poop!

I got to Mohican a little late. Decided to do this free spot to save money. Well hidden with no view. Also had to dodge lots of horse manure. I definitely should have gotten a paid for spot.

Nice trails, not so nice campsites

Most of the sites at this state park campground are very small and don’t have much level ground. Even the sites meant for RVs and trailers are right on top of each other. It’s almost like they took what should have been one site and made it two. There’s a handful of sites that offer a little space and level ground for tent campers. You may or may not have a picnic table and fire ring with a grill at your campsite when you arrive. According to staff, people take the fire rings and I guess there’s nothing they can do. Bathrooms were clean. The lake view trail was nice and accessible from the campground.

Great Free Camping

We drove thru Sand Hollow, Bicentennial and Maple Grove before choosing Hook Lake. All of these Jesse Owens State Park/AEP campgrounds are free for up to 14 days. While most of the sites at Hook Lake do not have cell coverage we were lucky enough to find that at the "top of the hill" we were able to get both att and verizon at around 2 bars (3 to 5gb download but under 1 upload).

This campground was very quiet, lots of shade (not ideal if you are running on solar only). The DNR make rounds on a regular basis. There is a dumpster by the entrance to the campground but no longer cans at each site (October 2020).

Stayed in site 27 with a 33ft travel trailer and we're able to get level without and blocks.

Lots of hiking, mountain biking and The Wilds are near by. McConnelsville is about 20 min away for all your gas, food (Kroger) and propane (Greueys Fuel and Freed.

Great site!

Site 41 with a paved pad and electric. We were across from the shower house and bathrooms. The office is closed but a staff person was on site. Our site was perfect for us with trees on either side to help with shade. Across our site was also a big green space to walk our dogs. Not all the electric sites have shade especially if you are up top. The lower electric is much better however some of the sites hardly have a space for tents and would be better for a camper. Lots of places to hike and a lake to kayak or canoe. There’s a big playground for the kids as well. The tent only sites are a little less desirable as they are all downhill and mostly uneven. They have flush toilets and sinks but you’d have to come up to the main campground to shower. Pick your site wisely!

Great small family campground

We enjoyed our 3 night stay here! Some sites are full hook up, some sites are electric and water, and some are primitive. The dump station is easily accessible if you need it. 5 acres with everything we could need. The owners were amazing. Very friendly and helpful! They had only owned the campground for 2 weeks and were in the process of making several improvements. The shower house and bathrooms were clean and adequate. There is a small playground for kids. It is pet friendly. There is a nice sized pool for summer (we camped in October so it was closed for the season). Located within a short drive (about 10 miles/15 minutes) from everything Hocking Hills has to offer. There is even a restaurant close by that will deliver to your campsite. Kroger and Walmart are within 5-7 minutes driving for supplies. The only downside is that it is close to a highway so at night you can hear the traffic. This didn’t bother us so much but might be a problem for some.

Not for tents

The setting is nice. The showers are clean., but… most sites are seasonal trailers, the rest are also RV/trailer, very close to each other.

I reserved on the phone, asking the person on the phone to give me the site she thinks is best - obviously not knowing the site- I got a site next to the bathrooms, two floodlights shining at my site with not pleasant smells and fans going all night. There were plenty of other empty sites… Not sure why I got this one..