Columbus, OHIO

Most Recent Columbus Camping Reviews
Amazing!!

We took our family vacation at the end of July to Hocking Hills State Park. The campsite was amazing and we really enjoyed being there. We absolutely will be returning next year. The hiking trails were amazing and my family really enjoyed the hikes.

Quiet and Convenient

There are 38 grass sites that are a bit snug, but mostly pleasant. New in June 2019 are 18 gravel padded sites, with lots of space. All sites are W/E. All the new gravel sites and half the grass ones have 50/30/20A electric, the rest are 30/20A. The park has a dump station. Two of the gravel sites have sewer hookup.
All sites are clean, with tables and fire rings. There is a very nice and clean restroom/shower facility. Walking path and playground are adjacent to the campground. There is a nice swimming pool at the south end of the village park. Campers get a discounted admission. Most all sites have lots of shade.

Fun time at Fall Fest

This was our first trip with our camper we recently purchased. We live very close so we thought it would be a safe trip for being newbies. The sites, while somewhat close to each other, are very well secluded. Which can be good or bad depending on if you are going with multiple families vs just one family. Bathrooms were clean. They only have a few “full hookup” sites, so plan on filling fresh water tanks. Most sites do have 50/30 amp service. They have provided fire rings with flip over grates and include a picnic table. We went the first weekend in October for their annual fall fest which I would highly recommend. They do trick or treating and many people go all out with decorating their sites. They also have pumpkin panting, haunted trails, archery, face panting, scavenger hunts and more.

Nice Campground

Nice campground with it’s own archery, pistol, and rifle range that you need to travel to, but not too far away. There are plenty of sites, the camp sites in the middle tend to be more like your normal site with grass and fire rings. The outside sites are mostly gravel with not every site having a fire ring. We ended up making our own with big rocks. They do have a small pond stocked with fish that has gazebo overlooking the pond. In addition, they have a pool, pool tables, and a play ground. You do have to pay to swim and play pool. The pool tables are a little torn up. We went the weekend it was Fall fest. Plenty of activities for the kids! Trick or treat, glow parade, decorate your own pumpkin, etc! Overall, nice campground and place to stay if you are looking for a spot.

Needs work

Stayed one week with horses, corral falling down, outhouses and shower facilities beyond gross. 3/4 mile from trails, had to ride along very narrow road. Only saw owner once. There are better places to stay and enjoy riding at Hocking Hills. Place could be nice with some work

A fond memory of a cabin

I was looking for this camp site on Dyrt as I had a fond memory of the quiet night that I spent there on a Sept. school night. I needed to be close by and this was perfect for me.

The cabins based on current information from their website some of them are not being rented due to the massive amount of rains we have had in recent times.  The cabins were clean, warm, and safe. The price was reasonable.  I enjoyed the quiet nature of the campground as I was there during a week day and non-peak season.

I also knew that it was close to an outdoor drama. I was researching the play again but I have just realized that I have missed the season again. I will try again next year to make it back to the classic play. I went as a child and want to see the play again with adult eyes.  http://tecumsehdrama.com/

I am not a bike rider but I do know that I saw a bike trail very close to this camp ground.

I went by to the near by town to Frankfort and had an enjoyable pizza meal. The owner of the campsite was able to give me some ideas for meals.  I then put the left overs in the fridge in the cabin.  She even guided me to the cabin when I had trouble finding it as it was tucked away in the hill side (part of the charm).  The leaves falling it made it tricky for me to be confident in how to get to the cabin.

Awesome campground

Sara and her husband are great very welcoming definitely our go to place when in hocking hills great place to get away! Keep up the great work guys!

Kabin 7 and Kabin 11

The KOA was what one expects of the KOA lots of features and not very secluded. The Kabins were lovely.

The design is nice as the bunk beds are in their own separate room. This means the back room will sleep four individuals. They also included little tables and benches so you can organize yourself in the room.  The front room has a large bed that sleeps two.  Then outside is the picnic table.  Due to health code rules you have to cook and do food outside of the cabin.

Our first cabin some of the light bulbs were dead and as a result they moved us to another cabin. Problem solved.

The bathrooms were very clean and the folks at the camp store were very helpful. I will say that my friend that took a shower was frustrated as one shower was scalding hot and the other was cold.  The floors were slippery as they didn't have a way to stop the water from going beyond the shower (no rim or lip).  She didn't get to use the Family Shower as you have to get the key from the store.  Shower time was usually before bed time with two little ones as they would get dirty playing during the day.  Since the camp store closes at 8 PM she would just use the standard shower with her kiddos. We thought this was a great feature and would have liked to get a look at the family shower set up.

At the camp store, they would drop off the wood via golf carts as you purchased it.  I was able to buy three bundles for $18.00 as it is cheaper that way.  I also purchased two bags of ice.

The cabin was fun and we were able to keep our trip simple by packing less due to the cabin.  Buckeye Lake State Park is close by and if you don't have a boat they really don't have a lot to offer non-boaters unlike other lake state parks.  We didn't see any trails.  We did go to the "beach" but opted not to swim. Our time was spent at the near by Dawes Arboretum and Newark's Earthworks (mounds).

**Will try to come back and upload more photos and videos later as tonight many of my posts are not fully uploading.

Don’t camp here.

I suppose this is a “campground”, but it has some of the worst characters in the city living there. Pass.

Amazing state park!

This state park was so amazingly beautiful to me. It was completely unexpected. This campground is basically in walking distance to the old mans cave trail head. This hike is a must and is not strenuous whatsoever. The campground had a pool (closed while I was there) and had nice showers/full bathrooms. Ash cave is another hike in the area that was beautiful.

Not a great experience

If the staff had been friendly it may have made some difference in this review. First, if you have kids and a small camper this may be for you. But if you have an RV, it's very tight fit. Spots are literally right on top of each other. Everything is gravel. Little to no grassy areas in camping areas. Beach and walking trails are nice. Utilities work well, including wifi. But, the narrow roads, very tight spaces are awful. Also, our adult children joined us for a few hours one evening to cook out. Did not stay. But each was charged a $10 entrance fee. When we left I went in the office to check out and nearly couldn't get in/out for office staff standing in ailseways chatting. Then the staff with whom I inquired about check out requirements, looked us up in computer, and said, "You're good." No, thanks for staying. No, hope you had a great stay. No, Come see us again. Then I could barely get out for staff in ailseway chatting. While the other campers were friendly, loved seeing the children playing and having fun, the difficulty in/out, small spots & indifference of staff - we will never return.

Basic camping

Really enjoy this spot. Been to it a couple times now. Primitive camping and you can pick a spot right on the river. We were able to walk down from the site and swim. Sites are big enough and plenty of space from neighbors! Only gave 4 stars because spots are first come first serve.

Campground with good extra's

I've been camping here since the late 80's and it has been the best place for camping I've ever been. Now when I say that I'm talking about the camping only, because that's what I come to this website for, is actual campground reviews not park reviews. The amenities are very good for being constructed in the late 80's or early 90's. The showers are very good they even have heated floors for the winter. Their is many water fountains and water spigots.  Their is two playgrounds for children. One is a very old swing set the other is more updated. Their is a trail on each end of the campground that leads to Rose lake, which I did catch a bass at by the way. The campsite does have volunteer's that keep the bathrooms and campsites maintained. The campground entrance is nice with a decent store with fire wood' ice and camping essentials and as you would imagine it is a little over priced. Now be prepared for the Racoons they're pretty bad ass, they WILL get into your things at night so please put anything food related in your vehicle. I have camped all over the united states and this is by far one of the best campsites in America.  I'm a tent camper so I recommend spots 140, 141, 161, and 162 these sites are the most spacious. Enjoy this awesome campground everybody.

Beautiful River

Beautiful location along a river. All the permanent sites are down by the river. Weekend sites are up front and aren't as nice. Most if not all are grass sites. Only water and electricity, no sewer, even for permanent campers. Has nice facilities, especially the pool and golf area. Also was a little hilly. Would suggest tent camping if coming for the weekend.

Loved it for tent camping

Great camping experience! Waited too late to book in hocking hills state park but found a site here instead. We are tent campers and stayed in site 106 on"Northridge". Loved that the non-electric tent sites were so isolated from the RV campers. Site 107 gets muddy with a lot of rain. Sites 108-112 have a pretty significant slope. Each site in the loop has a picnic table and fire ring. There's a dumpster, pit toilets, and water. It was a short drive to the rest of the campers, a great hot shower, fantastic general store, miniature golf, and the beach to swim or lake to kayak. Took us at least 30 minutes to drive to the common hocking hills hikes but well worth it. We would return.

Ok campground in a beautiful place

Hocking Hills State Park is a very beautiful natural wonder in Ohio, but the state park campground was ok. The main complaint my group had was with the bathrooms. The women's bathroom near our site had 4 stalls - none of which had doors which would close. They were beautiful big, heavy wooden doors, but each was too big to actually close and lock the door! Fixing this may take 1-2 days work, but someone could easily remove the locks, run the doors through a saw to cut off an inch, stain and seal the exposed wood, and re-attached the locks. Old Man's Cave has a brand new welcome center, but the campground still has bathroom doors that don't close. It doesn't make sense to me.

The only other complaint is that the asphalt parking areas at each site are fairly small and there is no parking provided for extra vehicles. Having a large group with people driving separately makes it difficult as there is one parking spot on a site (if you set up a camper).

Other general notes: Many of the sites have a lot of slope, as you are in the hills, though each appeared to have at least one small flat area. The showers are fairly open, with curtains on each shower and a large curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. They have a bench, hangers for towels, and a shelf for soap. The showerheads themselves are very nice and always had warm water! Another newer bathroom we visited (near the pool) had been remodeled recently, but was significantly dirtier than the old one. There was mud and toilet paper all over the floor and it was smelly.

Overall, the campground is in a great location. You can easily hike to Old Man's Cave, Rose Lake, Cedar Falls, and the Devil's Bathtub. Most of these trails lead to other areas 4-5 miles away as well. And being within walking distance of the trails, you don't have to worry about parking (and boy was it crowded this Labor Day weekend).

Popular

Nice place but always packed in the weekends. This is a great place to visit if you don't mind a packed campground at top dollar. Very expensive compared to other places.

Perfect

If you are looking for a quiet little place to relax, this is it. Rustic is down a gravel road, well off the beaten path, and a little more remote than the boondocks. Frank, the owner, and his team are great.

Great!

Wonderful family friendly place!

Great spot

Very family friendly

Quiet place

Great place with lots of area for fishing, small boat access.

Nice but busy!!

So we had a beautiful lot! Right by trees and plenty big enough with flat ground! If you like busy campgrounds this is the place for you! Us personally like it a little more peaceful. I think we also caught it on a kids bike wkend or something because there were kids riding bikes everywhere. Now we’re used to the usual kids riding bikes where we respect them and they respect us but these kids were zooming in front of us and we were backing up trying to get away from the area they were riding and they were zooming behind us. It’s a really nice campground it’s just not for us. The camp store was nice the store clerks were friendly. They serve hand dipped ice cream for about $3.25 a bowl and they also serve icee’s for about $1.40. So not too bad of priced and it gave the kids a nice walk down there and a treat to enjoy. There is also a pizza shop in Nashport that delivers to the camp site!! The menu is in the camp store. It was pretty good food but pricey. We spent $71 for 3 subs, a lasagna dinner, a salad, 12 wings and a xl pizza ( which was not XL and the crust was paper thin- but it did taste good to me). The good thing is it’s only $2.50 to deliver and it’s super convenient the night you get there! So in the end it was almost worth it due to the kids being hungry and not having to rush to get the fire started. Although the next day we went 15 min to the Walmart and there were food places there that if I would have known would have went to instead of the pizza shop. We had lot 183 and it was plenty big enough for a camper and a couple tents with parking space along the side of the road. There is also a marina and a dam you can fish at right around the area. My husband and daughter went fishing at the marina and got some bites but that was about it

Great place

Wow, the family and I had a great time here. This was our first camping trip with our new camper at the time. Weather was nice in the Spring time when we went. We did end up with a couple inches of snow also one morning. We will be back in the future.

Beautiful Area! Less Than Average Campground.

Hocking hills is freaking amazing! Which is what made staying here OKAY. But this campground was not that awesome. Tiny sites that were basically just cement slates similar to parking lots. Zero trees or privacy (at least where we were) and eye sore dumpsters it felt like every few feet. You COULD however, walk strait into the trail system from there, so that made it worth it. Just don’t plan on spending much time at the campsite, and this place will be fine.

Something for everyone

We stayed on an electric site with tents and we were impressed with how clean and organized the camping areas are. The shower houses were well maintained, though some of the restrooms are aging. The maps/photos do not do justice to the terrain. Like the trails, be prepared to be on a hill, as most sites sit on the hillside. But with easy access to the hiking trails, a fishing lake, and several swing sets for our son, we will absolutely be returning next year.

Non responsive

Hate for my first review to be a bad one on such a great app, however I feel the need to share. Maybe this will make them more responsive. We had a group trip traveling 300 miles to visit Hocking Hills in Ohio. Booked this trip well in advance as this time of year all campgrounds in the HH region are booked solid. Should’ve known when there was availability for three connected sites during prime season there was something fishy. The campground is right on the river and located 15 miles from HH trails. 15 miles in the hills is a 30 drive to the park. Kind of deceiving to say they are in Hocking Hills. The activity center is blocks away from this campground not as it appears on the web as if it were located in the campground. It looks as if it hasn’t been updated for decades. The real issue we had was the accessibility of the sites. The two track road around the campground had standing water of over 12 inches deep that went the width of the two track and about 10 feet long. Two of our sites were so flooded you’d struggle to find enough dry area to pitch our tent. No way you could park a travel trailer, it was an absolute mud pit. Four calls and no answer. First email they replied to with an unapologetic single sentence saying “before last night it hasn’t rained in a month”. Regardless of it being the night after a rainfall the sites were absolutely unusable. After two further emails they still have not replied. Naturally we paid in full before the trip and they refused to refund. Well actually they haven’t refused refund they just haven’t replied nor cared enough too.

Amazing

The staff was great super helpful. They actually let me check in 2 hours early, which was awesome having 3 super excited fellas. Thank you!

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Nice quiet campground! Owners are super friendly!

Nice quiet campground!  Owners are awesome!  Nice level site we were on.  Small swimming lake!  Canoe rental and jet pack “skiing”

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.