Wayne National Forest, OHIO
Most Recent Wayne National Forest Camping Reviews
Would stay again

This walk in camp ground was located just minutes from Old Man’s Cave. It’s a family friendly and pet friendly camp ground. Our stay was quiet and relaxing.

One of my favorite state parks!

Hocking Hills is a wonderful destination to go for camping and a weekend of hiking. There are trails all over the park. Can be a bit busy during the warmer months. The park is pet friendly and has a nice nature center before you hike down to Old Man’s Cave.

Are we sure this is Ohio?

I've traveled all over the states and Hocking Hills is one of my favorite places to camp and hike. Absolutely stunning year round.

Year round camping

Most of the campers are year round. Friendly bunch of people. There is a beautiful spot to access the lake on the back of the campground.

Year round camping

Most of the campers here are year round. In the back of the campground is a beautiful area to access the lake.

SO beautiful

This place is amazing!! so much to do and see! All the views are beautiful. I had such a great time there and i wished i could’ve stayed longer!! There’s also some great cabins if you’re not a tent person!!

Come For Week and Never Want to Leave

Caves, waterfalls, trails-20 plus, scenery, views, it goes on and on. This State Park is widely respected and utilized by those near and far, the area is jaw dropping and folks are super friendly. The campground offers a lot of electric sites, restrooms, showers, pool, store, vending machines. Swim, bird watch, fish, the choice is yours.

Fun!

Kayaking is a blast down the hocking river. They take you and you end up right back at your car. They aim to make your trip fun and are super helpful! I’ve been a couple dozen times and never had a bad experience

Crowded

Hocking hills has become overcrowded in the past few years. Camping is fun here if you don’t mind the people. Trails are beautiful and well maintained. Lots of different hiking options

Crisp and clean

The lake is clean and has beautiful scenery. The beach is very kid friendly. There is a playground there. The trails are great. They have options for length and scenic differences. Roads are well maintained. Campsites aren’t great for tent camping, but we still had fun. Campsites are close together. They are under trees though, which is a definite plus for me. Overall I thought there was a great vibe and it was a clean area.

New favorite !

Trails are gorgeous…waterfalls…gorges..truly amazing. Drive to trail heads Campground-not huge-bathrooms nice-roads are tight for big campers. Ours is a 41ft 5th wheel and site 65 was okay. Other sites might have been very difficult to park. Little cell service if you have AT&T. Verizon was okay. Pool. Up the road a few minutes is Grandma Faye’s if you need any last minute things. Straw was put down for wet spots at sites. Sites are around 30s hear the constant running of what I think is a water treatment place. Loop around 65-70 has a water tower in the middle. We will come back again!

A little outdated, but still a great choice!

We have returned to this camp ground four times! Everything is quite outdated especially the park and mini golf. With that said it was a great time. It has mini golf, a pool, park and small game room which is awesome for camping with kids. It offers rustic cabins for those that dont tent camp or have a rv. On this particular trip it was chilly and we were staying with small children so we went the rustic cabin route. There's a small pond for fishing and a church from the 1800s and all together a beautiful place to walk around. The best part is you can walk to ash cave from your campsite! There is a connecting trail right at the front of the campground. It was a fairly simple hike too.

Great off season!

We went to Tar Hollow state Park campground on April 11,2019 and it was as quiet as can be!! Not one camper by us. Perfect spot lot 71, it has plenty of room for a couple tents or pop up and tents and still have room for 2-3 cars. But this is probably the only campsite you can do that in. The rest are tight and with little to no space. Lots 1-27, I would say are for campers, RVs etc very little to no space for tents. Lots 67-70 I would say are for tents. Tight road getting in and out. Lot 71 I would say is for both tents and campers. Behind lot 71 is woods so you can do off trail hiking. Be ready for a climb but it’s pretty. There’s a playground for the kids and a wooden swing for the parents to sit and watch there kids. The bathrooms down on this site are pit toilets but the bathrooms by lots 1-27 have flushing toilets and that is where the shower house is located. I don’t recommend lots 32-37 because from what can see you have to drive through the grass to get to them. Lots 30-31A would be nice it you have kids (not toddlers) because there’s a small stream to play in and on the other side of the stream is the playground. The stream is only like 3 ft wide so easy for kids to cross but yet parent can sit at campsite and watch kids at playground. Staff was nice but rarely saw a ranger. General store did say they just opened today. I would probably never come here when it is busy. I would have no idea how everyone would drive by each other roads are not wide and some campsites have little space to park. But for as of now - beginning of season its great! There is a small beach that we didn’t go to and a movie screen that we didn’t go to nor know if they use. The store staff said there is fish in the lake. Naturally breed not stocked.

Out of the Way Campgrounds

Very open campgrounds. Not a lot of family amenities. Great hiking trails for every level.

Breathtakingly Beautiful

This is a gorgeous park with deep caverns, changing terrain and drop offs at the paths. I will wait to take my grandkids when they’ve grown stable, obedient and careful enough to not worry about a deadly fall. My favorite by far! We have also stayed in the furnished cabins and they are also pretty awesome.

Very nice and well kept

Good for the family… If you are into the outdoors this is it!

Great first time KOA experience

We have never stayed at a KOA before and were very happy with this campground. The staff were friendly and professional, the sites were clean, and there were a wide variety of sites to choose from. From primitive tent sites tucked back in the woods to large RV sites with water/sewer/electric/cable hookups. We are first-time owners of a 29 ft Fifth Wheel and got a pull-through site. It offered little in the way of privacy, which was the only negative about the whole experience. Our site included a fire ring and a picnic table, along with all the hook ups. The night we arrived we were too tired to cook so ordered a pizza from the front office and they delivered it to our site. They also deliver wood directly to you. They escort you directly to your site so you don't get lost or go down a one-way road the wrong way. There was a nice little pool, but it wasn't open for the season yet. The shower houses were immaculate. The front office includes a little gift shop, ice cream, and pizza. This campground was also located close (within a few miles) to all the main hiking trails,and about 12 miles from Logan. The little road going up to the campground is VERY bumpy. It's not the campground road, it belongs to the Township, so its completely out of their ability to make improvements. This was only our second time out in our fifth wheel camper so it was a little scary, but we just drove slow and our truck handled it just fine. We will definitely be back to this wonderful campground as we love Hocking Hills.

lots of variety in hiking trails

I go to Hocking Hills every year and love it every time. They have a handful of different trails and hiking experiences that takes several days to explore. Can get crowded during busy seasons, but overall is relatively remote and quiet. Definitely love Ash Cave and Old Man’s Cave. Campgrounds are reasonably priced.

Cell service is finicky — definitely wouldn’t rely on your phone GPS once you get into the park.

Crowded even in October.

The park is beautiful but the sites were small and crammed extremely close together and dirty. It was loud and the bathrooms were not well kept.

Cozy and comfortable

What a nice campground. Pool, cabins, things for the kids, beautiful hiking trails and waterfalls.

Nice place

Hike in camp sites are awesome. You still have access to latrines and each site has a table an fire ring. Fairly succluded but you will see other people. Very close to all the places you would want to hike . The girls in the office are also very nice.

Bring a cart or be prepared to strap all your belongings to your back

Cabin life

Great cabin with a lot of room for family. Easy access to the water for a fun-filled day off boating.

Quiet wooded campground with nice hikes

We stayed for a long weekend and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The RV sites were a bit narrow, but otherwise nice and shaded. We took a couple of the hikes down by the lake and it was great.

Beautiful location, well kept, lots to do and see.

Lots of hills. Some sites are reservable others are walk-in.

Palmerosa Horse Camp

I stayed in a cabin and loved this place, the horseback riding is awesome, airplane rock has a view second to none. the box canyon with waterfall is gorgeous (pun intended) but seriously it was fantastic. the cabin was clean and comfortable, and a bargain, no nickle and diming you to death.

On the river AND the freeway

Right on the river, which is interesting, but it's also right alongside State Route 33, so you hear freeway traffic constantly. Trucks and motorcycles woke me up all night, AND there is a train track right across the river (about 200 yards away), so be prepared for trains coming through any time of the night or day.

It has flush toilets, which worked fine Friday and Saturday, but all of the women's toilets were clogged by Sunday morning, and the shower house needs to be hosed down- covered in dead bugs. Showers have this weird slimy grate on the floor- bring flip flops. The shower house is up on top of this steep hill, so you'll need a flashlight to get there in the dark.

The sites are very close together- one family moved in late at night practically on top of me- their tent was literally 4 feet from my picnic table. I could hear every word they said (or yelled) all night long. I moved down one site for a little peace and quiet, but be prepared- when crowded, you will be right on top of groups less than 12 feet to the right and left of you.

It's nice that the sites are right on the Hocking river, and there is constant traffic of canoes and kayaks going past. I thought this was fun. There is no way to put your own boat in here, though. The campground is on a very steep, muddy embankment and even putting in a lightweight kayak is very difficult (I tried and succeeded, but hurt my knee and fell into the water because of the mud- I wouldn't try this again).

All in all, I had a decent weekend, but I wouldn't stay here again because of the freeway noise and the way the sites are so close together.

Delightful, Beautiful, friendly rangers, lots of activities

We were there during an off holiday weekend so the crowd was low. It is beautifully hilly there. The parking pad was fairly level and a a bit narrow. The campsite had a bit of an incline. The fire pit and picnic table looked newer. We camped near a restroom and there were 2 shower houses. However, one was being renovated at the time. The nature center was very well done with educational information that would be useful for the great hiking trails in the park. We did not get to be on the lake but they had several options for rental of water toys such as canoe, kayaks, water bikes, and pontoon boats. There also was a nice beach with a play-set nearby. The lodge was attractive and they did serve meals there. We did not eat there but we did check out the menu. There was something good for all tastes and delicious sounding desserts too. The dinning room had large windows all around to view the woods. They had lots of hummingbird feeders. We missed the hummingbird program where you can hand feed them. That is only during July and August months. I was sorry to have missed that. We will being returning to enjoy more of all this park has to offer.

Nice campground with even better hiking and scenery

Old Man's Cave Cave Campground in Hocking Hills State Park is a large campground. At many of the sites, you'll feel like you're in a large campground. If you stay away from the main roads, you might feel like you're in a smaller campground.

Choosing a Site

• Study the photo of the site map included here to get a sense of where you might want a site. You'll be able to see electric/non-electric and reservable/non-reservable sites. There's quite a mix of sites and the map has a legend that will guide you.

• A reservation is a good idea.  You'll definitely need one on weekends during the summer/fall, or you should arrive by Thursday for a chance for a non-reservable site for the weekend. I've been here in July and mid-September, and the park was crowded. I just keep an eye on reservations on reserveamerica.com.

• Electric sites: I recommend sites 152-163, 164-172, and 141-151 because you are away from the main roads (long straightaways). In my opinion, sites 161-163, 150-151 and 171-172 are the best because you're at the end of spurs off a main road.

• Full hookup sites: Sites 66-70 at the end of the full hookup stretch (24-70) are good.

• Warning about full hookup sites: There's some kind of pumping station behind the sites on the left as you enter so it's noisy all the time. If I wanted a full hookup, I'd avoid sites from #24 up to at least #35 because you're going to have constant noise. It probably doesn't matter when you're inside because units with full hookups typically have closed windows and AC/heat.

• Reservable non-electric sites 81-93: I like #92 and #93 and the first couple at the beginning.

• Non-reservable sites: #1-23 are electric and #76-78 are non-electric.

Amenities

• Picnic table and fire ring at sites

• Swimming pool

• Pay attention to the map if the location of showers and toilets is important to you. There are 3 showerhouses with showers, flush toilets and sinks. For some reason, the floor in the showerhouse near the pool was always wet and dirty even in September when the pool was closed. Other toilets throughout the campground are pit toilets.

• Gray water disposal stations and potable water stations

• Laundry facility near the shower house by the pool

• Dump station

Activities

• Scenery and hiking are what make this park special…and crowded.

• See photos that show a map and descriptions of 8 hiking areas. Some of these areas are outside the park, and you'll need to drive to the trailheads or take a shuttle ($5 fee). Ohio does a good job of consistently marking trails and posting information boards that show where you are and where you can go from your current location.

Cell Phone Service: It's spotty. As you walk around, sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't!

Cool Feature of Ohio Parks

When you use reserveamerica.com, you can participate in a rewards program for Ohio state parks. We were able to apply points to stay free one night out of three.

Our home away from home for Paw Paw Fest

My family and I have been going to Lake Snowden for the past nine years for the Paw Paw Festival and have enjoyed staying in the sites in thw campground every year. So while I can’t speak to what the campground is like the rest of the year, I suspect it is mostly RV campers the rest of the season (we only tent camp).

What I can say though is the sites are pretty large and grassy, great place to let kids run around and play. The campground is safe and people are respectful of the quiet hours. Everything in the camground is walkable, but if you want to hit up the shower houses, you have to go up to Hilltop, which is a bit of a trek w/ shower gear (I’ve never actually been inside the shower house though).

Away...away....AWAY!!!! Great spot ot avoid the crowds. Shhhhhhh!

Went backpack camping with a friend on this loop - we took the shorter of the two. The land is all regrowth forest and the further you go, the less you see of people - a novelty in this part of the world.

There are several primitive campsites along the trail with nothing more than a stone fire ring and a clearing, so pack in everything you need including water.

A great spot. We will return.