Wayne National Forest, OHIO

Camping Ohio Wayne National Forest
Most Recent Wayne National Forest Camping Reviews
Amazing!!

We took our family vacation at the end of July to Hocking Hills State Park. The campsite was amazing and we really enjoyed being there. We absolutely will be returning next year. The hiking trails were amazing and my family really enjoyed the hikes.

Nice Remote Campsite

Very beautiful setting! With it being a remote location, it doesn’t seem like they spray for mosquitos. We bombed our campsite the first night, but still got ate up pretty bad even with spray and citronella candles. Pit toilets only, with some having bee/wasps nest in them. They do have a place to empty your grey water, but no black water tank. It seems like some people may have dumped their black tanks into the lake, by the smell and look of it. The water station was broken at our site so we had to travel to another location to get more. No service and no electric hookup.

I know it seems these are are all negative, but just a few things to keep in mind. It is very beautiful and peaceful. I would go back, maybe in the fall with cooler temps. The trees would look pretty and it’s nice since it is free and oftentimes has open spots.

Needs work

Stayed one week with horses, corral falling down, outhouses and shower facilities beyond gross. 3/4 mile from trails, had to ride along very narrow road. Only saw owner once. There are better places to stay and enjoy riding at Hocking Hills. Place could be nice with some work

Awesome campground

Sara and her husband are great very welcoming definitely our go to place when in hocking hills great place to get away! Keep up the great work guys!

Amazing state park!

This state park was so amazingly beautiful to me. It was completely unexpected. This campground is basically in walking distance to the old mans cave trail head. This hike is a must and is not strenuous whatsoever. The campground had a pool (closed while I was there) and had nice showers/full bathrooms. Ash cave is another hike in the area that was beautiful.

Great dump camp site

This is a great drive in campsite perfect for family and friends to get into the woods for a bit.

Great beginner to intermediate hike

A fantastic spot for beginning and intermediate backpackers! Great beautiful trails. There are some  steep sections but it’s fantastic spot for a weekend hike.

Didn’t See Any Snow

Lake Snowden is a great alternative to camping at Strouds. The lake is large and clean, with an awesome new “water park” opened during the summer. Great shelters, facilities, and optional bathrooms. Many of the sites are secluded in the woods, while others are more public RV sites. Awesome boating, fishing, and swimming activities nearby!

Basic camping

Really enjoy this spot. Been to it a couple times now. Primitive camping and you can pick a spot right on the river. We were able to walk down from the site and swim. Sites are big enough and plenty of space from neighbors! Only gave 4 stars because spots are first come first serve.

Needs toilets in camp area. Outhouses are gross

This park campground is nice, but lost in time. Outhouses are gross. Usable, but gross. No water hook ups, but a place to fill your tank behind water fountains. Camping is deserted pretty much on weekdays and on weekends the same people camp in the same spots a lot, probably because most spots are not level. Overall I'd give it 4 or 5 stars if they had toilets.

I'd give it 5 stars if they had toilets with water.

The park is nice but in bad need of updating. Outhouses are not appealing and sometimes the lake swimming area is closed due to bacteria from leeching. Most sites are not level. They do have electric though. Water hookup is unavailable but they have a place to fill tanks on each drinking fountain. The staff are nice and you never see them after check in. The lake is now motor accessible with no wake..idle only.

Campground with good extra's

I've been camping here since the late 80's and it has been the best place for camping I've ever been. Now when I say that I'm talking about the camping only, because that's what I come to this website for, is actual campground reviews not park reviews. The amenities are very good for being constructed in the late 80's or early 90's. The showers are very good they even have heated floors for the winter. Their is many water fountains and water spigots.  Their is two playgrounds for children. One is a very old swing set the other is more updated. Their is a trail on each end of the campground that leads to Rose lake, which I did catch a bass at by the way. The campsite does have volunteer's that keep the bathrooms and campsites maintained. The campground entrance is nice with a decent store with fire wood' ice and camping essentials and as you would imagine it is a little over priced. Now be prepared for the Racoons they're pretty bad ass, they WILL get into your things at night so please put anything food related in your vehicle. I have camped all over the united states and this is by far one of the best campsites in America.  I'm a tent camper so I recommend spots 140, 141, 161, and 162 these sites are the most spacious. Enjoy this awesome campground everybody.

Loved it for tent camping

Great camping experience! Waited too late to book in hocking hills state park but found a site here instead. We are tent campers and stayed in site 106 on"Northridge". Loved that the non-electric tent sites were so isolated from the RV campers. Site 107 gets muddy with a lot of rain. Sites 108-112 have a pretty significant slope. Each site in the loop has a picnic table and fire ring. There's a dumpster, pit toilets, and water. It was a short drive to the rest of the campers, a great hot shower, fantastic general store, miniature golf, and the beach to swim or lake to kayak. Took us at least 30 minutes to drive to the common hocking hills hikes but well worth it. We would return.

Ok campground in a beautiful place

Hocking Hills State Park is a very beautiful natural wonder in Ohio, but the state park campground was ok. The main complaint my group had was with the bathrooms. The women's bathroom near our site had 4 stalls - none of which had doors which would close. They were beautiful big, heavy wooden doors, but each was too big to actually close and lock the door! Fixing this may take 1-2 days work, but someone could easily remove the locks, run the doors through a saw to cut off an inch, stain and seal the exposed wood, and re-attached the locks. Old Man's Cave has a brand new welcome center, but the campground still has bathroom doors that don't close. It doesn't make sense to me.

The only other complaint is that the asphalt parking areas at each site are fairly small and there is no parking provided for extra vehicles. Having a large group with people driving separately makes it difficult as there is one parking spot on a site (if you set up a camper).

Other general notes: Many of the sites have a lot of slope, as you are in the hills, though each appeared to have at least one small flat area. The showers are fairly open, with curtains on each shower and a large curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. They have a bench, hangers for towels, and a shelf for soap. The showerheads themselves are very nice and always had warm water! Another newer bathroom we visited (near the pool) had been remodeled recently, but was significantly dirtier than the old one. There was mud and toilet paper all over the floor and it was smelly.

Overall, the campground is in a great location. You can easily hike to Old Man's Cave, Rose Lake, Cedar Falls, and the Devil's Bathtub. Most of these trails lead to other areas 4-5 miles away as well. And being within walking distance of the trails, you don't have to worry about parking (and boy was it crowded this Labor Day weekend).

This is a beautiful campground!

Great campground. Very secluded but well taken care of!

Good time

Campsite was large. We had 5 people in 3 tents, and a pretty good size trailer with 5 kayaks loaded and still had more than enough room for everyone. Overall really enjoyable time there. We did have a guy who was in the next site over but he never bothered us. The only bad thing I have to say about the area was the “rest rooms”. Definitely need to have bug spray in hand and possibly your own TP. They were disgusting.

Secret Athens Camping

A close friend lives near this little site. I’ve always wondered what it was like, so we decided to check it out to see if it would be a nice place to camp. It’s quite overgrown and unmaintained. Not many amenities, and is near residential housing, so overall not a great place to camp around Athens. Definitely a cool walk in the woods, however.

Swimming in History

Lake Hope State Park is a cute area nestled in the foothills of Ohio. With Zaleski right next door, there are a ton of cool things to do around the area. There’s a swimming, boating, camping, hiking, backpacking, and a ton of cool historical sites to see. I would recommend getting an Ohio Lizard Map to find some cool secret sites that most don’t get to find in the area.

Great Remote Lake Camping

My family and I used to visit Burr Oak occasionally when I was young. In regards to what to do, activities center around the large lake. There’s an awesome lake with hiking, backpacking, and other forms of water recreation. Wildcat Hollow is another awesome location that is not far away. Overall is a good location, but nothing extremely special. However, there are a lot of lodges and cabins nearby.

Quiet family camping!

First come first served camping with water and pit toilets, large sites, area mostly wooded. Archery range and lots of fishing spots. Great for families with pets too! Had a great time and looking forward to our next visit this weekend! I’d give it more stars if it had a shower house or swim area! Bring your solar shower!

Our stay

We enjoying kayaking and hiking. A half hour drive to hocking hills, and many other parks. We were able to explore many things in our short weekend stay. Beautiful lily pads covered the lake, it was stunning to kayak through. Although, I wished the sites had more trees.

Great place

Wow, the family and I had a great time here. This was our first camping trip with our new camper at the time. Weather was nice in the Spring time when we went. We did end up with a couple inches of snow also one morning. We will be back in the future.

Beautiful Area! Less Than Average Campground.

Hocking hills is freaking amazing! Which is what made staying here OKAY. But this campground was not that awesome. Tiny sites that were basically just cement slates similar to parking lots. Zero trees or privacy (at least where we were) and eye sore dumpsters it felt like every few feet. You COULD however, walk strait into the trail system from there, so that made it worth it. Just don’t plan on spending much time at the campsite, and this place will be fine.

Something for everyone

We stayed on an electric site with tents and we were impressed with how clean and organized the camping areas are. The shower houses were well maintained, though some of the restrooms are aging. The maps/photos do not do justice to the terrain. Like the trails, be prepared to be on a hill, as most sites sit on the hillside. But with easy access to the hiking trails, a fishing lake, and several swing sets for our son, we will absolutely be returning next year.

Non responsive

Hate for my first review to be a bad one on such a great app, however I feel the need to share. Maybe this will make them more responsive. We had a group trip traveling 300 miles to visit Hocking Hills in Ohio. Booked this trip well in advance as this time of year all campgrounds in the HH region are booked solid. Should’ve known when there was availability for three connected sites during prime season there was something fishy. The campground is right on the river and located 15 miles from HH trails. 15 miles in the hills is a 30 drive to the park. Kind of deceiving to say they are in Hocking Hills. The activity center is blocks away from this campground not as it appears on the web as if it were located in the campground. It looks as if it hasn’t been updated for decades. The real issue we had was the accessibility of the sites. The two track road around the campground had standing water of over 12 inches deep that went the width of the two track and about 10 feet long. Two of our sites were so flooded you’d struggle to find enough dry area to pitch our tent. No way you could park a travel trailer, it was an absolute mud pit. Four calls and no answer. First email they replied to with an unapologetic single sentence saying “before last night it hasn’t rained in a month”. Regardless of it being the night after a rainfall the sites were absolutely unusable. After two further emails they still have not replied. Naturally we paid in full before the trip and they refused to refund. Well actually they haven’t refused refund they just haven’t replied nor cared enough too.

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Nice quiet campground! Owners are super friendly!

Nice quiet campground!  Owners are awesome!  Nice level site we were on.  Small swimming lake!  Canoe rental and jet pack “skiing”

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Firebiner at Zaleski South Loop

Campground Review: With a close friend coming to visit from Spain, I wanted to show her a cool backpacking location in Southeastern Ohio. Zaleski State Forest seemed like a good choice for a new backpacker. There are multiple loops to trek, averaging about 10 miles per loop. Overall the trails are well maintained (minus a few dense areas). There was almost an excessive amount of blazes. Campsites are plentiful along the trails. We stayed at Campsite C. Each site has access to communal well-water and a restroom. Each site usually has a small fire ring and logs to sit on. Overall, the campsites were pretty decent and secluded, but nothing special view wise aside from the typical Ohio forest. I would say pretty overall, but nothing quite outstanding.

Product Review: The Banner & Oak Firebiner is a neat little tool that has some really fun features! Most notable being the fire starter. The Firebiner uses a small spark wheel and replaceable ferro rod to create sparks. The sparks are pretty large for the little tool. I now use my Firebiner to start my MSR stove quickly and with zero plastic waste! I haven’t used it to try to start a straight up fire, but friends have successfully before. Most importantly, the spark wheel is just darn right fun to play with. The device has other little uses like a bottle opener, utility blade, and screwdriver. I absolutely love this device! Only complaint would be that I wish it came in different colors, but who really cares.

Here is a link to check out the Firebiner yourself: https://bannerandoak.com/products/banner-and-oak-firebiner?variant=9696793034788&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwnMTqBRAzEiwAEF3ndu9CmerLos5Y1yvjGHJ2L4FG732wg9bMpyPAJRa3m8dxlxffZ6Nt-RoC6LQQAvD_BwE

Nice Location and great hosts!

Stacked Stones has a very nice location and the camp hosts/owners are wonderful. They truly make you feel like family. The only complaints that we had was the shower house seems like a scene from a horror movie. Cinderblock stalls with a wooden pallet on the floor to keep you off of the drain. The toilets are non flushing pit latrines. They have some very secluded tent sites which is great when you have dogs. They also allow horses which is nice for any trail riders. Overall a great camp ground with great people. If the bathroom was updated I would give it 5 stars for sure!