the dyrt
About Lake Hope State Park
Drive In, Boat In
Lake Hope State Park is located in Ohio
12 Reviews of Lake Hope State Park
Quiet wooded campground with nice hikes

We stayed for a long weekend and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The RV sites were a bit narrow, but otherwise nice and shaded. We took a couple of the hikes down by the lake and it was great.

Beautiful location, well kept, lots to do and see.

Lots of hills. Some sites are reservable others are walk-in.

Delightful, Beautiful, friendly rangers, lots of activities

We were there during an off holiday weekend so the crowd was low. It is beautifully hilly there. The parking pad was fairly level and a a bit narrow. The campsite had a bit of an incline. The fire pit and picnic table looked newer. We camped near a restroom and there were 2 shower houses. However, one was being renovated at the time. The nature center was very well done with educational information that would be useful for the great hiking trails in the park. We did not get to be on the lake but they had several options for rental of water toys such as canoe, kayaks, water bikes, and pontoon boats. There also was a nice beach with a play-set nearby. The lodge was attractive and they did serve meals there. We did not eat there but we did check out the menu. There was something good for all tastes and delicious sounding desserts too. The dinning room had large windows all around to view the woods. They had lots of hummingbird feeders. We missed the hummingbird program where you can hand feed them. That is only during July and August months. I was sorry to have missed that. We will being returning to enjoy more of all this park has to offer.

Nice, hilly

I love this state park because of the lake, beach, boat rentals, old growth forest and nearby Hocking Hills. However, most of the campsites are on a slope. Like, a steep slope. I'd recommend visiting the campground before you book to get a level site. Some areas are more level than others. Bathrooms are a bit old, but it's better than not having any showerhouses at all, am I right?

RV Camping and much more

We have camped here in tents, pop up camper, cabins, backpacking the nearby Zaleski State Forest and most recently, in our travel trailer. It is our favorite State Park that we have camped at. The campground has been recently updated, new pavement on the road and in the campsites. The nature center runs a lot of programs, including hand feeding hummingbirds, Christmas trail of lights, movies, hikes and more. The dining lodge is excellent food, the Sunday Brunch is great and they have a wood fired pizza oven. The lake has kayak, canoe, peddle boat and other rentals. The swimming area is large for a state park and has a small playset. Trails to suit all ages and experience levels. Moonville tunnel and rail trail is nearby. The front shower house is closed for remodeling, however, there are very nice flush toilets near the camp office and a shower house at the back section of the campground.

So much to do!

I’m a tent camper and a hiker, but my family and I even spent some time at the lake and rented a paddle board and a water bike which was so much fun! we also did some kayaking as well as driving to different hiking paths around the area. we did a “walking tour” that had TERRIBLE directions but we had a blast anyway 😂 they probably need to update that but I wouldn’t discredit them if they didnt. campsites were more open and pretty standard, bathrooms were a little lack luster but I enjoyed every second!

Very nice campgrounds and lake

At lake hope you can enjoy camping in many ways rather if it’s by tent (the way I prefer) or by camper. It’s a very nice place to have some family fun. Very nice beach and swimming area. Hiking and horse back riding trails. Canoe/kayak rental. Very nice dinning area at the lodge. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone.

Away from hocking hills crowds

Lake Hope gave me a new way to experience an area I grew very close to and appreciate but cannot stand the swarms of people. It was a great quiet and spacious campground with solid amenities and it’s own nearby sites. We were in Wayne National Forest and right next to the infamous Moonville tunnel. It was no problem to drive over to the caves in hocking hills but it was also nice to stay close by a couple days too. This is likely the only way we’ll do the area moving forward

Nice campgrounds

The park has nice camp sites, cabins if you like that kinda thing! But watch out for the FOG on the lake at night!!!!¡ It gets so bad you can't see past the end of your boat!!¡!!¡

Hummingbirds

The naturalists feed hummingbirds at the nature center. They pull the feeders for awhile leading up to a “Feed the Hummingbirds” program. So cool! The birds come right to you!