Dillon Lake, OHIO

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Dillon Lake Camping Reviews
Not very private

A nice homebase if you're planning on exploring Hocking Hills. Only stayed here one night to go ziplining for my 30th. (highly recommended, btw) The host was friendly if a bit over-chatty. I don't recall it being the most level of spots, and the pines don't provide much privacy, but we were 1 of 2 groups there that night. Beware if its rainy, we had to help push our one and only neighbor's truck out of the mud. The way in is steep, but I made it in and out just fine in my 2WD sedan.

Jelly stone had just taken over, but you could tell updates were on the way. The shower house needs some attention, but they were usable. Kids really enjoyed everything. Free tricycles to ride around. Bouncy area, lake with a trampoline and activities all the time.

Fantastic!

We loved it. Our kids had a blast and didn’t run out of things to do or kids to play with. We weren’t very far from mold Mans Cave either.

All alone..🙂

We stayed for one night to get a start on our camping season for 2020. No one, let me repeat, no one was there but us and it was great! The electric sites are still on, no camp hosts and the vault toilets were very clean. Their camp store is closed for winter so you have to self register and the flush toilets are also closed. This was a new site for us and the pad wasn’t too off level. Leaves were all over which helped with any possibility of mud. This is a small campground with both electric and non-electric sites. There is also a 5 mile trail around the lake. Plus a mountain bike trail too.

Nice place

Beautiful sites, especially on the river. Unfortunately for us it's another one of those places that can be quite rowdy during the summer and is known as a party place. Wifey says the bathrooms were average (most important for her).

Great first RV experience.

Great little campground. My wife and I spent a month out there in a fifth wheel to see if we like the lifestyle. Very nice pool(clean). Great walking trail back through the woods. Pet friendly and the bathrooms were very nice. Well….I guess we did! We are now in a search for a Diesel pusher to go full-time!

Big campground with lots of amenities

This is a nice state park with a ton of sites. We were there in late October and it was super quiet. There weren’t many people around at all which was kinda nice. They do have an awesome laundry facility with commercial washers. I definitely took advantage of that. There are basketball courts, playgrounds, a disc golf course, mountain biking trails, hiking trails– you name it! Tons of amenities here and the facilities are really nice. The nearby town of Zanesville has a lot of stores too if you need anything.

Close proximity to natural attractions

Hocking Hills State Park, Oh-Site 89. https://thehockinghills.org/

Hocking Hills State Park offers close proximity to most of the popular natural attractions…Old Man’s Cave, Ash Cave, Cantwell Cliffs, etc….but for a tent camper that prefers solitude and space, I found it unappealing.

I did arrive late on a Monday evening, mid-October and got one of the last available sites. Packed on a Monday night!

I found the camping sites a bit cramped both in depth and width. Site 89 and 90 shared the same parking pad. Limited flat locations existed for a tent and my tent footprint is fairly small. You do have a firepit and picnic table with all three in fairly close proximity, so you must be extremely cautious with wind direction when deciding for a fire, else you’ll have embers dotting your tent and picnic table. Even though the neighbors were trying to be respectfully quiet…you heard every conversation and saw their every move.

No electric, which is fine in my book…the water spigot is centrally located on the loop and happened to be next to my site.

The restroom/shower facilities were not well cared for upon my visit. The floors were very muddy and trash was piled up in the corner of one stall and out of necessities.

Construction and dump truck noise started early with a project behind the restrooms.

The visitor’s center was well-stocked and the employee was pleasant. Cell service is unavailable and even sketchy at the visitor’s center. Wood can be purchased at the visitor’s center.

Close proximity to local attractions and a swimming pool are likely the big draw.

Knowing that I prefer solitude and distance when camping, I’ll likely not return but choose nearby Lake Hope State Park for my local visits.

Non-Electric Quiet Part of the Campground

This was our second weekend in a row coming to this campground, but this time we are in non-electric. We scoped out the site ahead of time and although not our first or second pick, the site turned out to be very nice. It's has a site right behind it, but has a nice size green space for an ez-up. The pad was a nice length and held our small camper and truck with room to spare. The closest bathroom was the handicap porta-potty, but a little further up you use the flush toilets. (no showers) The campground had at least 2 camp hosts and a small camp store. We walked down to the lake. If you like to fish, it's a short walk. This site is further away from the playground, but close to a trail head. We did have a small furry visitor - a very friendly orange cat.

Short Drive to a Small Campground with Trees & Shade - Electric

We visited the campground before we picked a site. We chose site #56 which had electric. It's one of the best sites we found there for it's size, shade and privacy. We set up our camper and our ez-up tent which enclosed our fire ring. There was also a path directly from our site that led to one of the hiking trails. Yay for us and our easy access; however, it also welcomed people to cut through your site. So we put up some flagging tape along the edge of the trail to discourage people and mountain bikers from cutting through our site and using the actual trailhead. We have dogs and the was big enough to walk them around and let them stretch their legs. The campground is pretty small with both electric and non-electric sites. There are two drop toilets next to the playground which were kept clean. In the non-electric area they had porta-potties, but just a short walk away there are two flush toilets. The campground is next to a lake which has a 5 mile loop for both hiking and mountain biking. The lake has a small beach area where you can take your dogs. We liked it so much we booked it again for the following weekend in non-electric.