Dillon Lake, OHIO
Camping Ohio Dillon Lake
Most Recent Dillon Lake Camping Reviews
Relaxing Campground!

Great place to camp! Quiet and private, hiking, fishing, pool and gameroom. Very close to Mohican State Park for canoeing and scenery. Also cleanest restroom/showers that i've seen at a campground.

Non responsive

Hate for my first review to be a bad one on such a great app, however I feel the need to share. Maybe this will make them more responsive. We had a group trip traveling 300 miles to visit Hocking Hills in Ohio. Booked this trip well in advance as this time of year all campgrounds in the HH region are booked solid. Should’ve known when there was availability for three connected sites during prime season there was something fishy. The campground is right on the river and located 15 miles from HH trails. 15 miles in the hills is a 30 drive to the park. Kind of deceiving to say they are in Hocking Hills. The activity center is blocks away from this campground not as it appears on the web as if it were located in the campground. It looks as if it hasn’t been updated for decades. The real issue we had was the accessibility of the sites. The two track road around the campground had standing water of over 12 inches deep that went the width of the two track and about 10 feet long. Two of our sites were so flooded you’d struggle to find enough dry area to pitch our tent. No way you could park a travel trailer, it was an absolute mud pit. Four calls and no answer. First email they replied to with an unapologetic single sentence saying “before last night it hasn’t rained in a month”. Regardless of it being the night after a rainfall the sites were absolutely unusable. After two further emails they still have not replied. Naturally we paid in full before the trip and they refused to refund. Well actually they haven’t refused refund they just haven’t replied nor cared enough too.

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Nice quiet campground! Owners are super friendly!

Nice quiet campground!  Owners are awesome!  Nice level site we were on.  Small swimming lake!  Canoe rental and jet pack “skiing”

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.

Lots of cool things

I was pretty impressed with the park. Lots of fun for kids with the swimming pond and arcade. As a moto camper, we really lucked out with a flat plot and didn’t have anyone in the spots next to us. My #1 complaint was the bathroom situation. They were VERY far from the camp area (the one in the arcade room was close but it was closed after 11pm) and the bathrooms they did have only typically had one working stall. (If it wasn’t plugged up with you know what). This campground would REALLY benefit from a couple porta johns. The camp store sells ice and firewood ($8 a bundle which is the highest i’ve ever paid at a campground) but it’s nice to have. Cell service is great and right down the road from gas stations and restaurants.

Nice Location and great hosts!

Stacked Stones has a very nice location and the camp hosts/owners are wonderful. They truly make you feel like family. The only complaints that we had was the shower house seems like a scene from a horror movie. Cinderblock stalls with a wooden pallet on the floor to keep you off of the drain. The toilets are non flushing pit latrines. They have some very secluded tent sites which is great when you have dogs. They also allow horses which is nice for any trail riders. Overall a great camp ground with great people. If the bathroom was updated I would give it 5 stars for sure!

Nice quiet campground

Nice quiet campground! Nice pool and playground!

Beautiful, and peaceful!

So beautiful! Perfect right on the river… decent shower houses… peaceful little campground.

Amazing

We have stayed here about a year now and they are amazing and we love this place.

Always enjoy our stay

We have been staying here for 25 years and is always a delight. We usually stay about a week to attend conventions or go antiquing. Wish they still had cable. Nice wide pull thrus.

Overall very nice

Have stayed here 3 times & really enjoy it. We typically camp with additional family members and get several sites together so we have plenty of room. The bathhouse is always very clean as well. Friendly staff & always things for the kids to do.

Close to Columbus

Nice campgrounds with a big reservoir for boating and fishing. There is a beach area as well for sunbathers. Fenced dog park in the area that I use often. Located between Sunbury and Delaware so there are plenty of places to restock.

Nice Get A Way in Northern Ohio

There is a nice lodge with a restaurant for people just looking to escape from the "city life" for a bit. Also campgrounds for sleeping outdoors with nature. Can go canoeing on the nearby river with canoe rental available and shuttle pickup at the end of your journey back to where you started. On grounds store to buy what you may need and close to nearby Loudonville for anything else.  Been there several times and have always enjoyed my experience.

Nice quiet campground!

Large campground but very quiet. Shower houses weren’t amazing but well maintained.

Great for every age

We went with a group of 12 couples and 23 kids. There was something for everyone. At the top of our list of favorites!

Beautiful area, but a lacking camp ground

The trails and sites are great in this area. Gorgeous waterfalls and most trails have short hikes to the main site to see, great for those kids who hike 5 steps and then complain. The downside of our trip was the camping. The showers and bathrooms looked like they were nice at one time, but have had some poor maintenance over the years. I couldn’t tell if they ever cleaned the facility the whole week we were there. The floor was always muddy, smelled of urine, there are no hooks for toiletry bags to be hung from, the mens had only 2/3 sinks working and 1/2 soap dispensers operating properly. The shower I used had a large section of the tiles on the ground missing along with screens in the windows not being there. It did not seem to have a ventilation/exhaust system and made the bathroom even more un bearable. The campsites are tiny and on top of each other. There was also no palatable water available around the campsites. You had to travel down the hill about a mile and a half to the main building to get some. Maybe it was the season but there were a ton of flies everywhere around the camping sites, the trails seemed to not have this issue. The plus was that we never saw a mosquito and that there is a decent pool available at no cost to the campers. Overall it was ok, but I would likely not stay there again.

Peaceful serenity

My family and I had never gone tent camping before together, since my husband and I were kids. I have chronic pain and was terrified to go due to my difficulties. This place was amazing!

PROS:

The shower houses are individual big rooms to use that include a shower with a seat and toilet. They do also have handicap parking&camping spots right by the shower house, no smell even being 89 degrees.

They also have amazing prices for renting out a pontoon, it’s only a max 10 mph. I was able to comfortably fish for 4 hours on this. For the boats we were allowed to park down below right by the docks so I wouldn’t have to walk the hill.

When you book online it needs to be done 2 days out, from where we live (Columbus Ohio) the reception at the camp was very very hard to hear on the phone. It is easier to book online then see them at the office when you arrive, they close at 7 pm. Checkin is at 4 pm and checkout is 2pm for camp set up(you can set up sooner if no one is there)

We were lucky to get a walk up electric spot, although hilly it was beautiful! We were right by the private dock and the residents were very kind, some offered us worms or help with our fire. Even though we were by the public outhouse you could not smell anything until right by the outhouse.

You do need a special plug for the electric, we didn’t realize this and did not bring one. I was panicked at first since I needed a fan to get through the 89 degree weather in a tent but the front office has spares you can borrow! They are a lifesaver up there and so kind, if we could have tipped we would have.

We caught plenty of fish up there for all 3 of us, including my 1 st grader, all we used were worms and was surprised how much we caught.

All in all we were really happy and even convinced my parents to come up with us next year 😊

CONS:

The drive up was very hilly and lots of buggies. Be careful sometimes the road disappeared and you don’t see the buggy until right there; the road speed is 55mph but we only went between 35-45.

There is no cell service up there so be prepared, we lost it for about 20 minutes before the camp site. We have sprint. Make sure to pack a old school map so you can get around, there is a family dollar store in town, about 4 mile drive, if you forgot anything.

Most neighbors you have our yearly members, this is great for peace but limits the spots they actually have open to rent out by the lake and have electric. We were hoping to get a better spot in the future but they only have a couple of non yearly spots available even a year out.

Beautiful area and campground

We loved the hocking hills area and the campground was nice and quiet! We camped off on a side loop which was awesome. Only downfalls to this campground was our site off the pad for camper was very muddy and when it rained all the mud washed over our rug and stuff. The other downfall is that the bathrooms are very dirty. We would camp in the full hook up area if we go again

Also the last day when we dumped I washed my hands in bathrooms by the pool and they were so much nicer! If you need to shower I would drive up there!

The pool was refreshing after long days of hiking but the 15 min mandatory rest for adults and kids on the hour was a little different for us as we have never been at a pool that did that!

The trails and areas around are incredible!! Pictures do no justice! We will go back again one day!

Cute.. old and easy.

We stayed at camp Toodik over 4th of July weekend. (5Th-8th) The river was up, so we didn’t get to go canoeing. It rained on us, and our campsite turned to mud, but we still had a wonderful time. This place is OLD.. everything is outdated and worn, the bathrooms/shower were clean.. but dirty at the same time because they were so outdated… But PLENTY of mature shade trees which kept the 90• weather bearable. Their pool was TINY, but clean. Their grounds were well kept and quickly cleaned up after people left. The staff was very STRICT… but still kind. There was A LOT of weird rules (no beer pong-not that we play anymore) but check in and out time were both 4 o’clock- Which ROCKS! (No hurry the day of checkout like normal.) I don’t think we’d stay again but still would recommend it for quick weekend getaway.

Great sites

The campground had many good tent and trailer sites. We had a beautiful spacious site for one large 5th wheel and 2 tents. The campground and bathrooms were well maintained. Lots of good short hiking trails both from the campground and within driving distance. There is also things to do in the areas like zip lining and water sports. Beautiful waterfalls and views!

Independence Weekend

The kids, dogs and parents all had a blast despite the rain Friday and Saturday nights. We will be back again. But will try to get a spot closer to the beach instead of on the other side of Cheshire Rd

Fun for the family

Very lite camping with mostly Rvs and campers. I found the space to be a little cramped but other than that it is located in a very beautiful area that I wouldn’t think was Ohio. Plenty of fun hikes to go on and places to shop. I rented a canoe with my family which was very affordable and turned out to be very entertaining. Overall it is in a relaxing area with a very easy camping style that people who have not camped before will enjoy.

A great campground near some out of this world trails

Many electric only spots, but did have about 30-40 full hook-ups. Camping spaces were about 30-40 feet wide. You get a huge spot.

The trail horribly muddy

The campsites looked OK. Dry. No water available to filter.  Cautioned against using the water. But the trail was a cesspool of mud in too many places esp on the stetch between the trailhead and the loop.  I turned around. The trail needs to be planked, elevated or rerouted. This is on July 1. The seasonal creek beds all dry, but the muddy trail is awful especially in comparison to the hype that I read

Space and Privacy...

…the two things that bring me back to this campground year after year. We have never had a “bad” campsite at the Alum Creek State Park Campground. Each camping space is separated by trees and brush. And there is plenty of room! An added bonus is the addition of several full hook up sites! While the beach inside the campground is small, the main beach for Alum Creek State Park is just a short drive away. One of our favorites!

Burr Oak Group Campground (Old Boy Scout campground)

We just had our 10th Annual EGGS Hike with the Buckeye Trail Association this past weekend at the Burr Oak Group Campground. We hosted over 60 hikers who registered for 20 mile, 40 mile, 60 mile or an 80 mile challenge in an allotted amount of time. The campground is very large with wide open space and drop toilets. There is a small shelter with electric and there are a few electric poles as well. You have to get a permit to camp there. There is an astronomy field, hiking trails and a boat dock down the road. It works great for our event!

Amazing campground away from it all!

A nice mix of electric and non electric sites in the trees. Great place to relax with family. Great for unwinding. You have to drive down to the lake to boat and swim but worth it. Every Sunday there is a brunch buffet at the Lodge. Worth the 25-40 minute wait! The camp hosts are super friendly!

Enchanted Forest

Hocking Hills State Park and the surrounding area is like a page out of a fairytale book. Cliffs, caves, hollows, and waterfalls galore make the hiking experience out of this world. The old man’s cave state campground is wonderful. You can hike into the old man’s cave area directly from the campground which makes it a unique place to camp. It is one state park that actually has full hook up sites as well as a wonderful swimming pool with the waterslide for the kids. The camp store is very nice but it’s not really accessible to bike for the kids due to a winding steep road and traffic. The seven hiking sites with in the Hocking Hills area are just Breathtaking.

Convenient to the trails

Camped there this last weekend. Facility cleanliness was fair, camp store was fair, plenty of trails close by. Rose Lake was really kool, both at night and during the day. Didnt see anyone catch any fish.