the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In, Boat In
Burr Oak State Park is located in Ohio
11 Reviews of Burr Oak State Park
Cabin life

Great cabin with a lot of room for family. Easy access to the water for a fun-filled day off boating.

Burr Oak State Park

Overall a very nice State Park! We stayed 2 nights of Labor Day weekend and had a great time. It was very very hot outside and we sweated our butts off , so we were very thankful for the nice showers . We went fishing and saw lots of butterflies. We cooked our meals on the fire , even though it was really hot. I wish there would have been electric sites just for tents so we could have charged our phones because they went dead pretty fast. Our site # 14 was very hilly but at least it had a tent pad at the bottom of the hill so it was flat where we were sleeping. At night we heard an owl and it was very peaceful. Overall a nice campground and we will return!

Group Camp

This is a great place to camp! Very spacious with lots of fire rings and picnic tables. The Blue Trail goes through here and provides a fun hike. There is a bathroom across the road and access to water at the entrance of the site. Showers are 15 minutes walk or a quick drive away.

Amazing camping

One of our favorite places to camp. They have a nice beach and the lake is awesome. There are adequate shower facilities. Bring your own firewood. The firewood at the campstore is less than amazing.

Boating and camping gem

We have camped in a tent here several times. Popular for Scouting campouts and popular with local boaters. Hiking trails are good, the lodge has been renovated, however, I have not stayed there since the reno. Fairly remote, cell service is dicey but if that is what you are going for, you will be pleased. Beautiful scenery. Fall is a good time to visit. Not much nearby in the way of supplies.

Very nice place to camp

I may be a little partial to burr oak State park seeing how my great grandfather helped to dig the man made lake. I’ve grown up with taking family camping trips here my whole life. Decent beach for swimming, lake is great for fishing and nice hiking trails as well.

A Good Beginner Backpack Trail

I went here with my brother for a backpacking trip around the lake and had a great time. The trail head is easy to find (near the lodge) and the trails are well blazed and easily followed. The trail itself follows the outline of the lake, roughly, and offers some spectacular views of the lake.

The terrain can be hilly at times but not overly so. And there are a great deal of interesting rock formations, wildflower groves, and various different kinds of environments to see along the trail.

The campsites are all drive in campsites at various points along the trail, many of which also have a dock. For more adventurous backpackers this can be a little disconcerting and take away any hopes of a back country camping trip. But for backpacker beginners it can be a great trail as there are water and bathroom stops at several points along the trail.

Overall I think it is a great trail for beginning backpackers.

Lovely camping area

We camped at both Dock 3 and Dock 2 with our dog, those are the only two areas that allow pets. At Dock 3 we were right on the water but dock 2 is probably 200 yards from the water. The hiking trails are nice but very muddy after the rain. Lots of geocasches in the area on the trails in Wayne national forest. The docks have near constant traffic but it's not super busy. Just a car every few hours. There were fishermen there most of the night when we were there.

Lotsa excercise

Burr Oak State Park is on the eastern edge of Wayne National Forest, outside Glouster, Oh , off Rt 13. The Lodge is on the opposite side of the lake off Rt 78.

The campground is above the beach area and takes a long walk/drive around to go swimming. Otherwise the sites, though close together, were level, partially shaded and well maintained. I got to put my Tentsile Tree Tent up and it love my Tentsile that much more.

The restroom is basic cinder block and open tank. The showerhouse is at the campstore/office.

The beach is cool with sand along a long graded stretch and dogs are allowed. The marina is down the road as well as the Lake Loop Trailhead.

Burr oak

This campsite kind of reminded me of the movie The Cabin in the Woods. It was woody and felt exactly like what a forest would feel like. There is a lake and the staff is pretty helpful. There is hot clean showers which is always a good thing