Equestrian
Hike In
Burr Oak State Park is located in Ohio
22 Reviews of Burr Oak State Park
EGGS Hike

I spent my time at the group camp area tent camping. I was there for a Buckeye Trail Association event called EGGS hike. It’s a 20 mile hike around the backpacking trail. We have 12 hours to complete the challenge. The group camp area only has pit toilets and no showers but the fields are mowed and level so it’s easy to set up camp.

Good family camping

Fantastic lake with good cheap boat rentals (paddle and pontoon) electric sites are definitely designed for RV or camper use instead of tent style. Electric sites are kind of small but not bad for a couple or small family. Overall great camp area with the lake and beach as the main attraction

Underwhelming

As a tent camper, I was shocked at how few sites are level. All but a handful of them are on a slope. Some were so small, you'd have to put your tent on the concrete parking strip (also not level) and put your car elsewhere. I for one cannot sleep on a hill.

I don't know if this is a Covid-era problem, but the bathrooms were absolutely filthy. Every single one of them I visited (three, total) was just disgusting. Shower house is extremely old, dirty, and needs a serious renovation.

The lake is pretty. You can rent pontoon boats, which is nice. The beach was so covered in goose poo or some other kind of feces, it got on all my belongings and stunk up my car. You need shoes to get in the water- it's extremely muddy to the point that it sucks in your feet.

The shop is not selling ice during Covid- we had to drive 16 minutes to a gas station to buy ice, and no one there was wearing a mask.

Lovely

Several fine camping spots for a fair price! Always clean. Private. The lake and lodge are very nice. A somewhat secret treasure in the area that deserves more attention! Fun for day trips and multi-day trips.

Great Remote Lake Camping

My family and I used to visit Burr Oak occasionally when I was young. In regards to what to do, activities center around the large lake. There’s an awesome lake with hiking, backpacking, and other forms of water recreation. Wildcat Hollow is another awesome location that is not far away. Overall is a good location, but nothing extremely special. However, there are a lot of lodges and cabins nearby.

Burr Oak Group Campground (Old Boy Scout campground)

We just had our 10th Annual EGGS Hike with the Buckeye Trail Association this past weekend at the Burr Oak Group Campground. We hosted over 60 hikers who registered for 20 mile, 40 mile, 60 mile or an 80 mile challenge in an allotted amount of time. The campground is very large with wide open space and drop toilets. There is a small shelter with electric and there are a few electric poles as well. You have to get a permit to camp there. There is an astronomy field, hiking trails and a boat dock down the road. It works great for our event!

Nice lake lookout

Nice lake lookout from lodge, smaller separate cabins are available. Lodge has good food with a view, and boat docks are available at the end of a trail behind the Lodge.

Campsite with a View

The trails were okay. But the view and easy access to the lake was worth it!

Winter escape

We actually stayed at the lodge and it was lovely. We would hike around during the day and swim inside as it was before spring. Lots of great trails. We hope to come back and back pack one of the trails

Cabin life

Great cabin with a lot of room for family. Easy access to the water for a fun-filled day off boating.