THE BEST CAMPING IN
Ohio

Nestled between the Great Lakes and the Appalachian Mountains, Ohio offers a plethora of unforgettable outdoor experiences. Beautiful Lake Erie beaches give way to caves, escarpments, and waterfalls, so if you’re looking to go camping in Ohio, you’re bound to find the perfect spot!

Starting in the northern tip of the state, bordering Lake Erie, campers will find serene beaches and natural coves full of picturesque summertime fun. Kelley’s Island State Park, a 677-acre park on the northern tip of the island, offers campers year-round adventure. Unique natural history and geographical features make Kelley’s Island an excellent choice for camping in Ohio’s unique Great Lake region.

East Harbor State Park, another camper’s haven along the shores of Lake Erie, offers opportunities for boating, fishing, 10 miles of hiking trails, and three boat ramps make this amazing campground the perfect spot for avid outdoorsmen and family campers alike.

South of Lake Erie, near the border of West Virginia, campers will find Ohio’s famous Hocking Hills area. Stunning cliffs and waterfalls, deep hemlock forests, and world-famous caves make this area one of the most popular for year-round camping in Ohio. The most well known cave in the Hocking Hills is Old Man’s Cave, so named for hermit Richard Rowe who lived in the cave for 30 years after settling in the area around 1800. The Old Man’s Cave area provides trails along a breath-taking gorge, which was carved 150 feet into the sandstone by the waters of Old Man’s Creek.

Campgrounds located in the Hocking Hills and Old Man’s Cave areas provide unique opportunities for waterfall hikes, climbing, and canoeing along the Hocking River. The geologically unique Hocking Hills region offers up some of the most beautiful natural beauty in the state and the country.

From pristine Great Lake beaches to the rugged beauty of the Appalachians, let The Dyrt help you find the best camping in Ohio!

Recent Reviews in Ohio
Almost a 4 update: earned a 4!

I want to give this place a 4 but having trouble committing to it. This place looks and sounds great on paper/web. All the amenities are still here. It's not completely rundown but may get there in a few years of that makes sense. The office is amazing. Very well kept. The roads are a bit rough, there are some potholes but nothing drastic. The pond looks gorgeous but had some algae growing in it. You can see the grounds crew going around doing their thing. There are 2 pools, one being a full kiddie pool, a gaga court, a game room, gym, snack bar, playground and more. All those buildings are showing their age pretty well. It's a nice campground, staff is nice, just needs some touchups. Update: even the power went out due to a strong storm, they called to let us know because we had dogs and wanted to make sure they were okay!

Very nice campgrounds!

There is so much structure and order to this campground! The grounds are laid out so nicely! One big circle with cross roads all along the way. You can camp however you'd like too! They have RV sites, tent sites and cabins. All mixed in together so you can travel with all your favorite campers. They do breakfast every morning in the front pavilion for $4.50 (all you can eat pancakes, 1 sausage and coffee) I haven't tried it yet, but its certainly popular. Laundry is open 24 hours a day and in an open area. Not the biggest fan of that due to needing to do laundry in the rain. Bathrooms are clean and standard. Row of toilet stalls and showers in a separate room. They have a stellar playground area, I don't have kids but even I was drawn to wanting to play on it. Very pet friendly around here. Close to downtown, near Cedar Point and all the other attractions over here. They have 2 pools, one being heated. We haven't had a bad rain storm while we're here but you can tell by the ground of our spot its going to be bad and super muddy. All in all this campground is pretty awesome.

Great time

Incredibly nice family who maintain a nice campground. Have attached some of the events there and just had a blast.

Clean, friendly state park

This campground has spacious sites and there is primitive and full hook up sites available. Pets are allowed in certain sites. Sites are also available along the lake. Access to lake is a plus for boaters and fishing.

Peaceful serenity

My family and I had never gone tent camping before together, since my husband and I were kids. I have chronic pain and was terrified to go due to my difficulties. This place was amazing!

PROS:

The shower houses are individual big rooms to use that include a shower with a seat and toilet. They do also have handicap parking&camping spots right by the shower house, no smell even being 89 degrees.

They also have amazing prices for renting out a pontoon, it’s only a max 10 mph. I was able to comfortably fish for 4 hours on this. For the boats we were allowed to park down below right by the docks so I wouldn’t have to walk the hill.

When you book online it needs to be done 2 days out, from where we live (Columbus Ohio) the reception at the camp was very very hard to hear on the phone. It is easier to book online then see them at the office when you arrive, they close at 7 pm. Checkin is at 4 pm and checkout is 2pm for camp set up(you can set up sooner if no one is there)

We were lucky to get a walk up electric spot, although hilly it was beautiful! We were right by the private dock and the residents were very kind, some offered us worms or help with our fire. Even though we were by the public outhouse you could not smell anything until right by the outhouse.

You do need a special plug for the electric, we didn’t realize this and did not bring one. I was panicked at first since I needed a fan to get through the 89 degree weather in a tent but the front office has spares you can borrow! They are a lifesaver up there and so kind, if we could have tipped we would have.

We caught plenty of fish up there for all 3 of us, including my 1 st grader, all we used were worms and was surprised how much we caught.

All in all we were really happy and even convinced my parents to come up with us next year 😊

CONS:

The drive up was very hilly and lots of buggies. Be careful sometimes the road disappeared and you don’t see the buggy until right there; the road speed is 55mph but we only went between 35-45.

There is no cell service up there so be prepared, we lost it for about 20 minutes before the camp site. We have sprint. Make sure to pack a old school map so you can get around, there is a family dollar store in town, about 4 mile drive, if you forgot anything.

Most neighbors you have our yearly members, this is great for peace but limits the spots they actually have open to rent out by the lake and have electric. We were hoping to get a better spot in the future but they only have a couple of non yearly spots available even a year out.

Cozy cabin cured my camping craving!

The adorable cabin fulfilled my tiny home dreams and camping craving! The cozy cabin had a queen bed, twin bunks and a sofa that made out to a full size sleeper. Kitchen included a fridge, sink and single cup coffee maker. Coffee k cups were provided in a few different varieties as well as sugar and creamer packs. Bathroom had tub/shower, clothesline to dry swim suits or hand-washed clothes, toilet, sand sink vanity. Bedding and towels were provided and were crisp, clean white. WiFi was a bonus and although it wasn’t the fastest it was very useful when looking up nearby activities. Our cabin had a grill, an outdoor table with four chairs, a swing and a fire pit which we enjoyed our last night there. Staff was friendly and helpful. There were laundry facilities within the park and lots of activities but we didn’t take advantage of any of that during our brief stay. Overall, we were very pleased and would gladly stay again!

Beautiful area and campground

We loved the hocking hills area and the campground was nice and quiet! We camped off on a side loop which was awesome. Only downfalls to this campground was our site off the pad for camper was very muddy and when it rained all the mud washed over our rug and stuff. The other downfall is that the bathrooms are very dirty. We would camp in the full hook up area if we go again

Also the last day when we dumped I washed my hands in bathrooms by the pool and they were so much nicer! If you need to shower I would drive up there!

The pool was refreshing after long days of hiking but the 15 min mandatory rest for adults and kids on the hour was a little different for us as we have never been at a pool that did that!

The trails and areas around are incredible!! Pictures do no justice! We will go back again one day!

Camping trip

Most fun I ever had while camping best place to go!

Like the Caribbean in Ohio

Beautiful scenery. Located right on the water, with beautiful views of Lake Erie. Well maintained campground, although the bathrooms had limited number of toilets. I usually had to wait to get a stall. You can rent a golf cart, but I took my bicycle and everything was a short ride away. It’s a very quiet island; especially during the week, which is when I went. If you want more shopping and nightlife, consider Put-in-Bay. But Kelley’s Island is a perfect quiet getaway.

Love it!

I’ve been camping at stonelick for all of my life, it’s been a tradition to camp there with my family for 25 years. it’s very kid friendly, dog friendly, and there’s always friendly people around. the hiking trails are beautiful, and kayaking on the lake is also very pretty.

Small

Super friendly

Close to home

Not a big fan of the park. Good 🐟

Great time

Always a good time

Cute.. old and easy.

We stayed at camp Toodik over 4th of July weekend. (5Th-8th) The river was up, so we didn’t get to go canoeing. It rained on us, and our campsite turned to mud, but we still had a wonderful time. This place is OLD.. everything is outdated and worn, the bathrooms/shower were clean.. but dirty at the same time because they were so outdated… But PLENTY of mature shade trees which kept the 90• weather bearable. Their pool was TINY, but clean. Their grounds were well kept and quickly cleaned up after people left. The staff was very STRICT… but still kind. There was A LOT of weird rules (no beer pong-not that we play anymore) but check in and out time were both 4 o’clock- Which ROCKS! (No hurry the day of checkout like normal.) I don’t think we’d stay again but still would recommend it for quick weekend getaway.

Family campground!

This campground was clean and the staff was friendly.

We only stayed one night but had a pretty sight by the pond.

The park seemed to be mostly seasonal campers.

First time RV’ing!

We just purchased an RV and was so excited to take a trip with it!! Being a first time RV owner we didn’t want to travel too far from home just in case something would go wrong. I got spoiled by going to Hueston Woods for our first outing! VERY clean, there was a playground for the kids, bathroom and shower facilities were available, and lets not forget the easy access to fresh water and dumping stations! Plenty of sightseeing and activities for ALL ages!! We will be going back!

Neglected, but could be a gem

Very hard to contact them. It was sold in dec 2018, and the phone number has changed and not up to date on line. The sites are mostly grass a few concrete pads along the River.

30 amp service. The care taker was friendly. We did not use the restrooms, as he didn’t have the hot water on, and no offer was made to turn it on. We backed onto the Ohio River and could watch the barges. There is a coal fired generator on the opposite side of the river. This one is all location. 35.00 a night was overpriced for amenities.

Great sites

The campground had many good tent and trailer sites. We had a beautiful spacious site for one large 5th wheel and 2 tents. The campground and bathrooms were well maintained. Lots of good short hiking trails both from the campground and within driving distance. There is also things to do in the areas like zip lining and water sports. Beautiful waterfalls and views!

Good family fun

Plenty of things to do.

Suburban Gem

Our recent stay at Thornhill Bluff in Akron was a surprising one in more ways than one. Our hosts were extremely responsive from the time of booking at this privately owned campsite set up in the back of their property line, overlooking the Metropark from a ridge above. They were very easy to communicate with and prepared with an info and guideline sheet they emailed to us and made the use of their site easy and accessible.

Upon arrival, we parked at the neighborhood cul de sac as instructed, and packed down the gravel drive to the side of their house around to the back yard. To the left, there is a clear trail winding back through the woods to the cleared site. At the site, there is a fire ring, some carved wood benches, covered firewood for use and ample level space for any tent. It stands overlooking a wooded drop off which looks out over the metropark and a winding park road which can almost be seen through the trees. It’s surprisingly quiet. Birds and woodpecker were present throughout our stay, and we even caught a glimpse of a deer at our site in the early morning hours. A trailhead begins at the site into the wood as well.

They have a 2 pc bathroom available back at the house, accessible through the garage which is left open, in the house, to the immediate left. Because it is located in the laundry/mud room, it does feel surprisingly private. There is a toilet and sink, and was quite clean. They also offered the use of any camping items we may have forgotten on the shelving in the garage. Chairs, fire rods (which we did forget and gladly used for our dinner) tarps and mats, etc.

The hosts were home at the time we were there but gave us a great deal of privacy, only appearing briefly to offer their help if we needed anything. When we arrived, it began pouring rain, and thus, the trial back to the site went from dry to muddy in about 5 mins. The good news is that the drainage is fairly good along that ridge, and after the rain stopped, the path cleared up quite a bit.

Sand Run metropark is a large park part of the Summit Park system which has 150 miles of hiking paths, bike and running trails, picnic sites and various other activities and events. We found it a beautiful, dimensional area, with uncrowned hikes and a nice break from the pace of the surrounding cities.

As a Dyrt Ranger, I have the opportunity to review both campsites as well as products. On this trip, I was happy to try out the Wenzel Shenanigan 5 tent. This is a tee-pee style tent with 6 sides and 3 windows, 2 rainproof vents at the base and a screen and rain flap entrance. It had plenty of room for the 3 of us, and the best part was how you are able to stand completely inside. Actually, what we found out was the real benefit to this tent was the ease of set up in the worst of conditions. The Shenanigan 5 was called to task when we found ourselves having to set up in the pouring rain. It was rolled out, spiked down and up in a single motion with its center pole in 2 mins flat. Impressive! It even was able to stay dry inside during that set up.

Apart from being an attractive tent camping tee-pee, while it is not suited to backpacking due to its bulkiness, it is light weight, and easy to carry. Vented well, it’s ideal to summer camping and warm fall and spring nights. The vent flaps at the bottom can be left closed or staked out, and the downward facing construction of the windows also allow you to stay dry in rain while letting air in. Same with the top vents. It held out the constant rain and because of its tee-pee style, dropped dry quickly when that rain finally stopped. We were all pleasantly surprised by both the Shenanigan 5 and our site as a quick nature trip in our busy week’s schedule.

Quiet and cozy

Lots of bugs. Bring the spray. The people are very friendly. Has a lot of different options for camping

Dirty pit toilets. Dirty sinks. Beautiful lake.

This state park has a beautiful lake and a nice beach. There are boat rentals and a frisbee golf course. Overall, this part of the park is beautiful.

The campgrounds, however, leave a lot to be desired. The people were really nice, but the facilities were terrible. The pit toilets were filthy- covered in flies, spiderwebs and dirt. They look like they have not been hosed out since the 70's. The showers and sinks are in an old, old building- it could be fine if it were cleaned daily, but it was filthy too. I was there 3 days and the showers and sinks were never cleaned. They were pretty gross from the start, but then by Saturday night one shower housed a pile of feces. No kidding. Poop in the shower.

We stayed in the camper cabin, which is just a very basic shed with a bed, bunk beds, air conditioning and heat. We stayed there because it was July and I wanted A/C and electricity. The cabin smelled like mold.

I'd go back to this lake but will not stay in the campgrounds again.

Bleh

Kids and I enjoyed our time visiting friends however being to sites away from the pavilion and the band the campground provided going well past quiet hours. Let a dirty taste in my mouth for the rest of our stay

Independence Weekend

The kids, dogs and parents all had a blast despite the rain Friday and Saturday nights. We will be back again. But will try to get a spot closer to the beach instead of on the other side of Cheshire Rd

Great family campground

This campground has a little bit of everything. Rv parking, tent sites and several cabins to rent. Rates are decent. Has lots of stuff for kids to do. Pools are small and can be a little crowded during the summer on weekends. They have a great splash pad and wading pool for kids. There is a new Tiki Hut to get adult drinks. A gem mine. Horseshoes, basketball court and lots of kids activities. Nice camp store that carries a little of everything. This is our second trip there.

Electric this time around...

We booked a last minute 4th of July weekend and found site 48 available. It had a pretty level pad, lots of green space and a tree for shade. We were across from the basketball court but it sat way in the back near the trees that it wasn’t anything that bothered us. We were almost on the end of the road and not a far walk to the camp store and bathrooms (flushable toilets and decent showers). Next to the camp store is the large playground and the amphitheater where they show movies. Just 10 minutes away is a gas station with a big selection of alcohol, cheaper wood and ice. Great site for a last minute decision.

Relaxing.

Nice small campground.. relaxing, great wooded views .. lake for swimming. Has full hook ups (W/E/S). Sights are pretty level, are newer so gravel still settling. We would come back here!

Great Lake

Easy access to boat ramp. Campsites are small. Wish the hiking trails by the campground had more of a lake view.

No contact info for reservations ???

Looks nice from I-75 but they have no contact info or what amenities are available. Hopefully someone sees this review and updates the site.

Great family fun!

We love it here! Staff is very friendly and lots to keep the kids entertained.