The best camping in
Ohio

Nestled between the Great Lakes and the Appalachian Mountains, Ohio offers a plethora of unforgettable outdoor experiences. Beautiful Lake Erie beaches give way to caves, escarpments, and waterfalls, so if you’re looking to go camping in Ohio, you’re bound to find the perfect spot!

Starting in the northern tip of the state, bordering Lake Erie, campers will find serene beaches and natural coves full of picturesque summertime fun. Kelley’s Island State Park, a 677-acre park on the northern tip of the island, offers campers year-round adventure. Unique natural history and geographical features make Kelley’s Island an excellent choice for camping in Ohio’s unique Great Lake region.

East Harbor State Park, another camper’s haven along the shores of Lake Erie, offers opportunities for boating, fishing, 10 miles of hiking trails, and three boat ramps make this amazing campground the perfect spot for avid outdoorsmen and family campers alike.

South of Lake Erie, near the border of West Virginia, campers will find Ohio’s famous Hocking Hills area. Stunning cliffs and waterfalls, deep hemlock forests, and world-famous caves make this area one of the most popular for year-round camping in Ohio. The most well known cave in the Hocking Hills is Old Man’s Cave, so named for hermit Richard Rowe who lived in the cave for 30 years after settling in the area around 1800. The Old Man’s Cave area provides trails along a breath-taking gorge, which was carved 150 feet into the sandstone by the waters of Old Man’s Creek.

Campgrounds located in the Hocking Hills and Old Man’s Cave areas provide unique opportunities for waterfall hikes, climbing, and canoeing along the Hocking River. The geologically unique Hocking Hills region offers up some of the most beautiful natural beauty in the state and the country.

From pristine Great Lake beaches to the rugged beauty of the Appalachians, let The Dyrt help you find the best camping in Ohio!

Recent Reviews in Ohio
Very Active Campground

I was very amazed to see so many activities for families. Rentals are available for kayaks and bikes. Nice playgrounds, trails, and even an outdoor movie.  One of my favorite places.

Confusing

The State Park is on one side of the Lake and the Campground is on the other. There is no public road between the two. The campground is nice but it's an extremely long walking distance to the lake.

Homebase Campground

The campground was full this weekend in electric, but still plenty of spots in non-electric. We've camped at this site before and we like it because there is a lot of space for us to walk our dogs. There's a ton of grass and plenty of shade to sit under. The restrooms were clean for both the vault toilets and the flushables. The camp hosts continue to get 5 stars. It's nice when you are at a campground often enough they know your name and stop by to say hi and even suggest other places to visit. The only downfall was our neighbors across the way had friends visit who parked on our campsite instead of in the guest lot. We walked through the group campsites (2) and if you like to hang, one has better trees to do that than the other. We took a short hike behind the playground. The trail is marked well, but you have to make sure to follow the hiking trail and not the mountain bike trail. Lots of mushrooms to see!

Nice full hook up sites

Nice large campground with plenty of sites. We stayed in B9. A full hookup site with a pretty level pad. Nice flat site with a nice fire ring and lots of mature trees. Lots of new full hookup sites have been added to the B loop recently. We've also stayed in the E loop. Nice large open sites, not as private as B loop.

Pretty, Free, but a dirty lake

I went for an overnight camping getaway. The campsite was fairly clean, had to pickup a few wrappers. I was excited to get a spot overlooking the water, with a table and fire pit. Not a really good spot for a tent, but I was able to find a soft spot off to the side. From up on the hill looking down on the lake, it looked quite clear. I was excited to grab my canoe and jump in.

I carried my boat to the waters edge. As I was going to put my canoe into the water, I noticed some really nasty stuff in the water. It looked like human poop. I was kinda stunned, and then I noticed a lot of flies all around that particular area. So given that I decided I was not going to be canoeing or fishing.

I get it, it’s free. But I just wish people would NOT empty their RVs into the lake. Kinda ruined a good thing. Aside from that, the area was very pretty.

2nd time with new camper

This was our second time here but with our new camper. Great location of pull through sites for families with kids because of proximity to playground. This will be a regular spot for us in the coming years.

Relaxing!

Very quite campground, lots of shaded areas for tent campers. Shower houses ver clean!

Field Camping at best

It's not that we didn't enjoy our stay at this KOA, it's was just a giant field with the seasonal sites occupying the perimeter which was where the only trees were really located at.

Due to COVID19 all the activities were shut down as well, however the people in the office were still really friendly and provided plenty of crafts for the kids to do.  Pulling in my RV which is 28ft was quite a challenge as well due to the fact that there were a drop offs on both sides of the pull in area where they ran storm drains making it a bit of a challenge.

Overall it was quiet and clean and would have been much better with the activities had they taken place but camping in a field just isn't for us.

Short backpacking trail with great sites!

Scioto Grove is great if you're looking to test out some new backpacking gear. There are 5 reservable sites along the river trail and they all have tent pads and a fire pit, besides that they're totally primitive. Very nice park and will be back here soon!

Great Experience

We stayed at Timber Ridge for a month and found this to be a very nice campground. Stores are very level, full hookups, fishing pond, amazing indoor swimming pool. Staff was extremely nice. Many if the campers are long term but have several overnight doors as well.

We stayed in a 29ft Travel Trailer, but sites could handle the largest of rigs.