THE BEST CAMPING IN
Ohio

Nestled between the Great Lakes and the Appalachian Mountains, Ohio offers a plethora of unforgettable outdoor experiences. Beautiful Lake Erie beaches give way to caves, escarpments, and waterfalls, so if you’re looking to go camping in Ohio, you’re bound to find the perfect spot!

Starting in the northern tip of the state, bordering Lake Erie, campers will find serene beaches and natural coves full of picturesque summertime fun. Kelley’s Island State Park, a 677-acre park on the northern tip of the island, offers campers year-round adventure. Unique natural history and geographical features make Kelley’s Island an excellent choice for camping in Ohio’s unique Great Lake region.

East Harbor State Park, another camper’s haven along the shores of Lake Erie, offers opportunities for boating, fishing, 10 miles of hiking trails, and three boat ramps make this amazing campground the perfect spot for avid outdoorsmen and family campers alike.

South of Lake Erie, near the border of West Virginia, campers will find Ohio’s famous Hocking Hills area. Stunning cliffs and waterfalls, deep hemlock forests, and world-famous caves make this area one of the most popular for year-round camping in Ohio. The most well known cave in the Hocking Hills is Old Man’s Cave, so named for hermit Richard Rowe who lived in the cave for 30 years after settling in the area around 1800. The Old Man’s Cave area provides trails along a breath-taking gorge, which was carved 150 feet into the sandstone by the waters of Old Man’s Creek.

Campgrounds located in the Hocking Hills and Old Man’s Cave areas provide unique opportunities for waterfall hikes, climbing, and canoeing along the Hocking River. The geologically unique Hocking Hills region offers up some of the most beautiful natural beauty in the state and the country.

From pristine Great Lake beaches to the rugged beauty of the Appalachians, let The Dyrt help you find the best camping in Ohio!

Recent Reviews in Ohio
Right on the River

We have camped here several times and have always enjoyed it. Activities for the kids during the day. Jumping Pillow and a pond for swimming. And live music on the weekends.

Favorite Place

This is our go to State Park. Always clean we live the travels and the beach

Would stay again

This walk in camp ground was located just minutes from Old Man’s Cave. It’s a family friendly and pet friendly camp ground. Our stay was quiet and relaxing.

Great Waterfalls!

Blue hen falls is popular, but by walking downstream awhile you will come across a more secretive waterfall (buttermilk falls) its much bigger and a pretty awesome hike there!! This place is beautiful to spend your day although parking can be tricky. Also, on your way out you’ll have to walk up a pretty steep hill.

Summer fun

This place is great for all your summer fun. There’s a beach for swimming, a disc golf course, lots of hiking & mountain bike trails as well as a huge lake for boating & kayaking. The campground in nice however the price is a little steep. It’s also good to book ahead!!

Beautiful and affordable!

As a guy born and raised camping and being in the outdoors, I was concerned that when I married a 'city girl' she wouldn't be into camping unless our first experience was a good one. Took her and my two young kids here and had a blast! Although I reserved my site on the phone, it was not crowded at all and easily could have drove in and picked one. The site we chose was in the woods and was well maintained and quiet. When we checked in, the staff and rangers gave our kids gift bags with some cool things to do while we set up our tent. The nights were very quiet and almost no cars or even people you could hear (same as morning). The view of the lake was great - even from the woods.

Pontoons are available to rent!

The cons: there were almost no campsites available on the lake because the RV's had taken those spots for the season. There is ZERO cell phone reception (we have gone there with both ATT & Verizon) but we weren't there to play on cell phones. :)

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures - I recommend googling this place to see pictures. They also have a website.

1st camping trip this year

A bit cold, still amazing.

Wonderful

Good campground love camping here

Grew up in this campground

Unfortunately they lost most of the trees to disease. It’s a great campground for families looking for lots to do. Not good for someone seeking solitude and quiet. Plenty of activities for kids. Swimming and fishing were my favorites as a kid in the ‘70s there.

Yellow Springs!

I love everything about John Bryan State Park and the surrounding town. Not only is there a great place to camp and hike, there is a cute little hippie town not too far away! If you wanted a relaxing day in the woods it’s there but you’re not too far away from the town to go in to grab a bite to eat for dinner.

One of my favorite state parks!

Hocking Hills is a wonderful destination to go for camping and a weekend of hiking. There are trails all over the park. Can be a bit busy during the warmer months. The park is pet friendly and has a nice nature center before you hike down to Old Man’s Cave.

family fun

We go here at least once a year! Usually with a large group! Lots for kid to do! The bathrooms, showers and camping sites are always well maintained and clean! It is my favorite place to camp

Such a pretty park!

We stayed two nights. Quiet, neat, clean, friendly. Pull-thru and back in sites, easy in-and-out. Take an early morning walk along the lake.

What a delight!

Our first campground as newbie nomads. It set the ball very high. The grounds were clean and well kept. Bathrooms were clean and had plenty of hot water for showers. The Bathrooms also had a book exchange. It was a rainy and soggy time for us there but it wasn't bad at all. I would most certainly go back and we just very well might!

Wont go back

Ive camp there 3 times. Everytime was a disappointment so some reason or another. They have lots of activities for kids which was nice. But every site was horrible. Either unlevel, muddy or something. The golf carts fly around at all hours with neons and loud music. Everynight is a party for all the permanent sites. The beach is stupid. The lifegaurds shut it down every half hour or so fo break instead of rotating in and out. The main life gaurd is a real piece of work. Its sad. They started to remodel it. Now you will be packed in like sardines.

Huge Campground

Lots of spaces! Lots of permanent campers. They have mobile phone service and wifi on site. We stayed in our own camper so we didn’t visit the bathrooms. The pool wasn’t open yet either. Lots of golf carts to rent. Nice people very helpful. Full service hookup was awesome! New stage area, is the party place on the weekends!

Stupid expensive but nice

We just stopped in for the night. We paid $77 for a pull through with full hookups and a picnic table. The grounds are sprawling and the staff is friendly.

Fairgrounds, closest sites to downtown Columbus

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in June. It's massive, but there were only about 4 or 5 other RV's there. It wasn't until our 3rd day did someone come by to collect payment. Full hookups, close to downtown and $35/night. Trains are close and frequent.

Great for family camping!

My kids and I have been coming to Atwood for the last 10 years. We look forward to it every summer. The people are friendly and there is always something to do!!

Peaceful, quiet, and scenic.

Alum Creek State Park is just under 40 minutes from Columbus. It makes a great weekend getaway from the city. The campground offers some spots next to the water which have a wonderful view.

BFF camping trip

My best friends and I met here for a weekend campout. It’s was so nice just to relax, hangout and hit the local yarn stores. The pool was awesome too and even though it rained we still had a great time just being together. The store was nice and the people were too.

Love Coming here!

We love coming here. It’s local for us so if we just want a weekend to get away we typically come here. The restrooms are clean, the sites are well maintained and the lake is close by for some good kayaking and fishing.

Are we sure this is Ohio?

I've traveled all over the states and Hocking Hills is one of my favorite places to camp and hike. Absolutely stunning year round.

Fantastic park

Beautiful, clean park. Some of the best rock climbing the area.

One of Ohio's best parks

I was blessed to grow up down the road from Hueston Woods, frequently camping, hiking, fishing, etc. Beautiful park, great campgrounds, numerous trails, large nature center, and awesome beach for dogs.

Great Campground with some areas for that Improvements

Very peaceful campground. There is a train track in the vicinity which every now and then you can hear…..but not bad. The lake is within walking distance from the campgrounds. Our dogs love this place especially when taken for long walks along the pavement. There is a market with great pizza nearby.

There is a nearby dog park as well.

The original check-in station burned down last year and the park has a temporary hut for check in. I hope they rebuild the check-in station and bring back the store. There are a lot of downed trees (either naturally fell or man made) which need to be cleaned up. Some sites can get flooded or become very muddy with heavy rains. The past few years have been problematic with ticks…so be vigilant.

Hidden treasure

This campsite is the destination for a relaxing weekend of camping with friends and family. There are hundreds of sites (RV and tent camping). The facilities were clean and well maintained. It’s an added bonus to have a frisbee golf course in the park!

Year round camping

Most of the campers are year round. Friendly bunch of people. There is a beautiful spot to access the lake on the back of the campground.

Year round camping

Most of the campers here are year round. In the back of the campground is a beautiful area to access the lake.

MY HOME

i’m here al the time!!! in fact i even work at the local ski resort Boston Mills. This place is wonderful and i’ve spent so much time here. i’m so lucky to live so close by. There’s endless things to do and so many waterfalls (hidden and public). This place is full of history and mystery. truly feels like home and is a wonderful place to camp!