Fairchild, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Fairchild Camping Reviews
Great summer

We camped here almost all summer. Tons of things to do. Kids playground, golf course right next door, great bathrooms with running water. Large sites with trees for shade!

Large sites with play ares for families

Given our experience was on a hot and humid day, I would rate this as 3. However I’m trying to be impartial so I’m putting our temperature discomfort aside and giving it 4. The campsites are large and reasonably priced for an overnight stay.

Campsites are large- some big enough for multiple campers. Most sites have water and electric. Plenty of tall trees around for shade. The sites don't have vegetation between them but they are big enough to give you some room. Restrooms are spread around with one being a shower house.

The lake has boat access. Some kayaks were available to rent. Short hiking trails can be found(with such a large place we were hoping for longer hikes. Playground equipment was getting consistent use today.

Most sites have nobody in them - perhaps during the week is a slow time. There are some sites for long term camping that are clearly designated.

The drive through the touristy area had me guessing as to what this would be like. If simple camping is not your thing, there are a couple of resort type places right down the road.

Beautiful fall colors

Camp sites were well spaced and private. Staff was busy but patient and helpful.

Would Recommend

Very nice area, camped in a tent at the end of September. Firewood had very easy access. The campground was a pretty large layout, but still easy to navigate. Nice hiking spots with amazing views. Bugs weren't too terrible, I maybe had two mosquito bites the whole 4 days, and that was before I put bug spray on.

Rentals for canoes and kayaks are available. Unfortunately, when I went the current was too strong. We could still rent one but they warned us that if we weren't able to make it through the current, that we wouldn't be able to get our money refunded.

There were signs posted that the drinking water cannot be boiled, nor can it be given to babies or elderly due to high nitrates. But we brought our own water anyways.

Awesome Camping Destination

What a great place to visit this time of year (Fall). Falling acorns, frogs and chipmunks chirping, turtles basking in sunlight and more. The owls at night were a treat (sometimes even scary) to listen to.

Clean facilities and nice trails. Next time we’ll bring some kayaks.

Nice Walk-In site but bring your bug spray!

Very nice walk-in site right on the river. LOTS of bugs to the point it was uncomfortable so make sure to bring bug spray. Tent pad, fire ring and picnic table available. Trees available that are good for those who hammock.

Camped at Lake Wissota for 3 days. First time there and really liked it. Nice private sites and the beach looked great but it was too cold for swimming. Got in a canoe ride before the rain. No bugs I guess it was too cool. Bath house in bad need of updating which they're planning on but I've been in worse. Awesome park rangers. Did some local site seeing and I highly recommend lunch in Cornell at Dylan's Dairy. Had the best breakfast at Kelly Grill in Stanley across from the old depot. Nice get away despite the rain.

Diamond in the rough

Love it here. Quiet, rustic, well maintained place

Fabulous state park

We have a 30ft travel trailer and we had a tight fit into our campsite. But shady trees overhead and a nice fire pit. Best part about the campground are the trails! We had some stellar hikes, and there's kayaking nearby. Well maintained trails of increasing difficulty. Bring water!! We also saw lots of interesting wildlife, including a rattle snake at the top shelter. Trempaleau is a cute little town with great food at the Hotel and a bike trail for some distance. Like all state parks they are electric only. It took forever to fill out tank, so my only complaint was it took about 30 min per camper to get about 1/2 full with water. We used the pit and flush facilities. Skipped the showers and just went swimming instead.

Great Campground with Private Sites

You'd never know that your neighbor is super close to you in this campground.  The sites are really private with tall trees and lots of greenery/foliage between each site.  There is a lot to explore in the park.  The bathrooms are decent - we found quite a few bugs and frogs in the bathrooms but we didn't mind.

Fun and Family Friendly Campground

This is an amazing place for families to spend time camping.  There are so many different planned activities for both the children and the adults to participate in.  The campground is always clean and the staff are extremely friendly.  The campsites are huge with plenty of room between you and your neighbors.  You can rent a golf cart to get around the campground.  They have gaga ball, a bounce pillow, an arcade, mini golf, laser tag, swimming pool, skate park, playground, basketball court, volleyball court….the list of amenities goes on and on.  The theme weeks are all fun and well planned out.  You can even order fresh baked donuts on Saturday mornings.  There are even cabins for your non-camping family and friends.  This is one of our favorite campgrounds around.

Quiet and clean

The sites were well spaced and well sized. The sites on the river were really pretty but full of mosquitos. The sites on the other side are also nice and have a much smaller bug presence. There’s a little trail along the river you can walk on which is nice. This seems like an ideal spot if you’re looking to have a peaceful trip down the river. It was also nice for us just looking to relax in a quiet lovely area.

Very Noisy from frequent train traffic. Wouldn't recommend if light sleeper

This campground has two sections, north and south. The southern portion has been closed all summer because of flooding. We stayed in the north section in site 12, which has a small grassy overflow parking lot across from it. The campground is clean and very open. The campsites are arranged on both sides of a circle drive with trees surrounding the circle and some in the middle.

There is a play ground for the kids, but you need to drive or walk about half mile to 3/4 of a mile to it. It is located at the nature center. During our stay, they had a presentation on birds and our boys really enjoyed it. The park also offers a boat landing, which was clean and easily accessible. You could also bring your boat up to a walk-able landing near the north campground, but this is inaccessible by car. This landing did offer a sand beach, but I don't know that I would recommend swimming here because of algae. During our stay we were also plagued by little black flies, but the mosquitoes weren't bad.

The campground offered very clean restroom facilities with both bathrooms and showers at one end, near where we stayed, and at the other end there was a bathroom that offered pit toilets. You are able to tent camp or bring in a pop up camper or larger pull behind. I'm not sure that a large RV would fit in any of the sites, but a small one definitely would. There are specific sites that are reserved only for tents and some sites do offer electrical access. There are no sites with water access, but there are two water access points within the North Campground, one on each end. Roads in the park/campground are paved. The campsites themselves are not paved. They are grassy. There are no additional amenities at this campground.

While the campground itself is quiet and all campers were respectable, the frequency of trains and the loudness of their horns at night was enough to drive me nuts. Every time I was almost asleep another one would go past. I finally moved from our popup camper to our car, which blocked out enough noise to allow me to fall asleep. Because of the trains, we will not be returning to camp here. If you are not able to fall asleep right away or are a light sleeper, I would definitely not recommend staying here.

The rest of the park was quiet and did not have much car traffic. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that the south campground was flooded or if it always has few cars. I was able to run the length of the park without encountering many cars (3.8 miles round trip including running through parking lots in the park). I did not, but you are able to walk through the flooded section of the park. They are just prohibiting people from driving there. Close to fishing, boating, and unique shopping opportunities.

Nice camping area

The camp site was right up against a swamp area so it was kind of buggy, but it was a beautiful area with access to lots of hiking trails and fishing. The vault toilets were well maintained. It was a great experience!!

Great quiet campground!

Stayed here two years in a row with two families and we loved it. Bugs were sometimes bad but it was June in the woods in Wisconsin. Nice space and enjoyed the beach area with the kids.

Enjoyed stay - More of a permanent campground

We enjoyed our stay except nightly camping sites are stacked on each other so no privacy -  we heard the drunk neighbors all weekend long. Eventually left a day early, they were way too loud. Wonderful activities for kids and families, pet friendly, beautiful scenery, beautiful perm site, no room for hiking or nature walks. Bar on premises but very odd hours. Owners on site which was nice.

So.much.fun.

We stayed over memorial weekend with a group of friends. With 2 swimming pools, daily activities, movies, and a full ice cream shop you won’t be bored here. The owners were super friendly and helpful. If you’re looking to escape into nature, this is not your park. If you want full hook ups and a summer camp family experience, this is great. Our kiddo had so much fun at the pools, the top one is very large and new with a splash pad area. The lower pool is older and smaller, and where grown ups tend to go for a dip. The sites are split between full timer seasonal sites and daily campers. The site are all level, have a fire pit and picnic table. They are pretty open, so you’re close to you neighbors and little shade or privacy. All RVs here, some tents as overflow for kiddos whose parents are staying in the RV. Kind of pricey, but it’s worth the money for all the extras you get. Super easy back ins, plenty of space for extra cars or shade tents on the site. In the evening there was a Glow Parade where the full timers decked out their golf carts and drove around- candy for kids and lots of dancing. Bingo, tie dye, outdoor movies, and other relay races kept the kids happy and adults amused. Sunday night a jimmy buffet cover band played. A lot of fun and we’ve already booked for next year.

Quiet rustic site right on the river

We were able to reserve site 120, right on the river.  It was a lovely site with a nice view, but little shade.  The sunsets were amazing here.  This campground is small and quiet, with minimal amenities.  The vault toilets were clean.  We saw some interesting wildlife too.  We purchased firewood on site, it was a bit wet and challenging to get started.  The ranger was super friendly on check-in.

Under development

This is a former Renaissance Faire site that is being turned into a Campground RV Park. They were laying new foundations when we were there. Bathroom/ shower house was very nice & large with 2 entrances. Large playground. Close to a ball park. Tons of geocaching in the area.

Beautiful Independence Day

Soggy lawn but great place & cheap!

Probably my favorite camping spot

I absolutely loved this campground. The area was kept very clean. The spot that I reserved was beautiful. Loved that it was tucked in the back of the camping area and was able to put my canoe in the water at my spot. The site I had was huge. Probably about 3x larger than any site I’ve been to before. And driving through the area was beautiful and lush

Beautiful and Quiet!

A beautiful campground! We had a nice spot that was very spacious. The out house is a good distance from all the camp sites and it was very quiet.

The lake and trail next to it were beautiful, but there were a lot of bugs!! Definitely bring som to keep them away.

Was a favorite as a kid.

As a kid we went here often. The water front sites were awesome. Nice sandy shored lake a short walk from your tent couldn’t be beat. I remember there being decent little trails through out as well.

Great for kids!

This campground is pricier then a lot in the area but has a lot of activities for kids jumpy Phillips, pond and floaters, arcade, and weekly activities/themes. The kids had a blast. There is a bar and restaurant within walking distance. A lot of people camp there, the sites are small we still managed to have a good time. We had four campsites next to each other for our group. We were asked to quite down after the curfew time but all parties were good with it.

Beautiful camp ground

Words can't describe how nice and peaceful it is. The owners are very nice and helpful. Whenever we're going to be back in the area this will be the first place we want to stay. It's located close to lake Winnsota.

Good for light/bike camping

This is a walk-in campground intended for very light camping, particularly for those biking the Elroy-Sparta or Lacrosse Trails, as it is right on the Elroy-Sparta trail and only a 10 minute bike ride into the town of Sparta. We are a family of 4 that camped from Friday through Sunday while we attended a swim meet in Sparta. We had site 3 (103 on the DNR campground map), which was about a 600 yard hike in from the parking lot, down a trail that can get quite muddy, especially during rain (which it did while we were breaking camp). Some of the sites are even further down the trail. The site was small, but we did manage to fit a 4-person tent, two 2-person tents, a screen-house, and 5 bikes. I was advised by our camp neighbor that their site was equally small. Water, trash, and bathroom access was great and clean. No noise from other campers, and there was even a boy scout troop on site while we were there. The most disappointing factor for me was the highway noise. I had read about that from another reviewer, and it was indeed bad, all weekend long. I had to wear noise-cancelling headphones to drown out the noise in order to sleep. So, it is a great site for someone biking in and/or carrying a very light load into the campsite and, I would say (only because of the highway noise), if there are no other camping options. I should mention that although there are no showers here, I saw that the Sparta Aquatic Center (10 minute bike ride) allows shower access for $3 (at time of this review). Also, the Sparta Family Restaurant is a great place to eat, having good food, service, and prices.

A quiet, forest campground

A smaller quiet campground in a state forest. You need a Wisconsin State Forest pass to camp here - an extra fee if you don’t have one already. The sites are varied. Some are closer together with less vegetation between them. Others are more spread out. The view from our site was the backs of other campers so we had privacy. Electric and non-electric sites are interspersed. There are vault toilets in camp and a shower house just outside of the campsite area. A playground and nature trails give the family something to explore. There is a shelter house available too. A mountain bike trail heads right out from camp. Lots of ATV trails in the area too. A little road noise can be heard but it’s easily forgotten. Town is just a few minutes away if you forgot something.

Great

Nice options to tent at and nice to walk around and do things

Spot to stop for the night

This is right next to a river and beautiful waterfall. Lots of sites close together but they have electric. There is a great playground. Feel like performing? There’s a covered picnic area with a elevated stage. Town is nearby. In fact, the main road is right by the campground making for noise.

Quaint

I love the hiking trails and my kids love the lake and all the fun activities that a company at like boating and swimming. The only downfall is that it's quite congested