the dyrt
About Sylvan Lake - Custer State Park
Sylvan Lake - Custer State Park is located in South Dakota
18 Reviews of Sylvan Lake - Custer State Park
Gotta rough it but worth it

Really only room for pop ups and tents. No RVs. Gorgeous scenery.

Amazing!

We absolotely love this campground. It have everything, you can see buffalos, praire dog, deers. Good for spending time with kids. If you stay here, need to go and see the Mount Rushmere. They have a really nice panoramic route.

Beautiful, but Busy

This is a great area for reaching many trailheads in the Custer state park area. It is a main tourist spot during the summer months.

Beautiful but busy

Sylvan Lake is stunning! The campground is popular, and people can reserve sites ahead of time by a year so you might not be able to depend on getting a spot the day you arrive, plan. I have been to Sylvan Lake twice in the past two years, and it was busy both times. There are many families at the campground and lake. When I was at Sylvan Lake this June ('18), the water was closed due to bacteria levels, which was disappointing. A nice swim after three hot days of backpacking would have been nice. The trail to Harvey Peak isn't far from Lake Sylvan. If you don't enjoy crowds and you are a hiker; I would suggest camping on one of those trails. Campsites need to be a certain distance from the Peak otherwise people can set up tents anywhere.

Beware the entrance fee and tent-only sites

When I reserved the site it was at least stated that there was an additional entrance fee on top of the out-of-state fee for the campsite. I did not dream it would be $20/week. It is a smallish campground of about 30 sites, but for some reason there are only 2 water spigots, and one is out of order. The working water is on the right as you drive in near the trail to the lake, hidden by a pedestrian crossing sign.

I had reserved a tent only site, but it should be labeled a walk- in site, and as such is over priced. Tents -only are consigned to park on a hill by the pit toilets and most sites are a good walk up a steep hill. I was lucky to have a short walk to my car but it was mostly too steep to use the kitchen I have set up in back and dealing with the bike rack was extra problematic.

There are nice bathrooms with flush toilets, running water and an electric outlet in the middle of the back-in site loop, down hill from the tent sites. There are 2 shower rooms with free unlimited lukewarm water.

The camground is guarded by a man who lurks slouching in a state owned pickup truck. Twice I asked him a question, which caused him to start the truck and speed away after talking to me. He may also be the campground host, as the truck was parked in an empty site across from the host RV.

Overall I felt this area of SD is set up to soak as much money out of tourists as possible.

Perfect Location

Perfect location within Custer. Great facilities. Sone of the sites are hike in and some are pull in.

perfect trail that leads right to Sylvan Lake

Gem in the Black Hills

What a fantastic campsite within walking distance of picturesque Sylvan Lake. Reserve online and drive directly to the reserved site. No check in on site, but vehicle fee is required to enter Custer State Park. Site had a level tent pad and tons of privacy on the corner loop. Lots of trees and privacy around most sites. Hot, clean showers available within walking distance. Sunset at Sylvan Lake is incredible around the hiking trail. Watch out for marmots and buffalo when driving!

Road Trip

We stayed here on our roadtrip out West! Came in through the Badlands, Custer state park is always a must to stop here because of all of the wildlife! I'm sure we will be back again soon!!

Crowded in the summer months but still worth the visit

I have actually never camped her but have always wanted to, when I drive through it seems like the best place to camp, beautiful views and close to many hiking trails. I have hiked here though many times and am always amazed by what this park has to offer.