Cheyenne, WYOMING

Most Recent Cheyenne Camping Reviews
4 days car repair

Nice clean campground. Filled propane tanks, picked up trash at site, and nice camp store. Enjoyed the pool and shuttle to attractions. Safe family environment.

Stargazing, amazing

Curt Gowdy State Park, Cheyenne Wyoming

Located between Laramie and Cheyenne, about 25 miles to each. We stayed at the Tumbleweed Campground. If you enjoy stargazing,  you'll be amazed. There are no campground lights to interfere and campers keep lights to a minimum. We had a cloudless clear sky to enjoy the heavens. One of the most awesome night skys I've seen. Would love to be here for meteor showers!

This area has electric and water. The sites are gravel and mostly level. Each site is totally separate with great views of the reservoir. There's a nice picnic table and firepit. Vault toilets. Really nice tiled showers (takes quarters) and flush toilets are available 24/7 at the Visitor Center up the road. Boondock and tent campgrounds also available.  Staff super friendly. Camp store has the basics. Nice mountain bike and hiking trails. Popular intermediate hike to waterfall, 4 miles rounddtrip. Fishing, picnicking, kids play areas.

Nice spot to Recouperate

We stopped here on the final leg of our journey.  They had adequate hookups and sewer cleanout station.  This was a great way to close out our trip and get our systems flushed out for parking.

Bonus: the local Walmart had our favorite Ice cream brand Blue Bell.

Not just a Campground

I highly recommend looking at the website. Lots to do here. Pet friendly. Laundry room, showers, market available. A steakhouse right next door. Definitely would stick to chain restaurants if you’re wanting a steak though. Or any food for that matter. It’s definitely gorgeous here.

Beautiful lake. Very peaceful. Campground host was wonderful. Campground is clean. The Free Birds- #livefree www.livefreebirds.com IG: thefreebirdsrv

Quiet and easy to access

We were driving out to Oregon and decided to stay the night here since it’s not too far off the interstate. The site was fairly secluded and interstate noise was not bad for how close it was. We plan to go again and try some biking and hiking in the area. $5 with national park pass ($10 without). No water.

Amazing campground with amazing and unique pink granite mountains

The dyrt has some old info on their overview page, there are no reservations - it is first come first serve, there is no water hookups, but there are several water spickets that are available when the water quality meets standards for drinking water - sometimes water is not available (check USDA Vadauwoo Camprround site for up to date info).

The sites are a combination of back-in, pull-offs, and walk into tent camping sites. All afford amazing views of the unique rock formations and easy access to hiking, climbing and repelling sites within the area.

Nice camping spot

Nice spot. Beautiful scenery. Minimal parking though. Most spots are level and paved. Lots of hiking trails

Beautiful area

Beautiful area. There are a lot dispersed camping sites, you just need to get there early enough. You need to find a spot with a defined access road to it and a built fire ring. Generator use is allowed. Camp fires are allowed as well as long as the wind allows it.

Wonderful camping near world-class climbing

This campground had great facilities and sites, especially for only$10 nightly. If you stay at the loop furthest from the highway, you feel like you’re deeper in wildness because you no longer see or hear the highway traffic. We camped here because it’s so close to the nearby world-class rock climbing. It did get pretty windy during or stay(gusts up to 30mph) but otherwise our stay in mid-August had comfortable temperatures. The bathrooms were pristine. Campsites has ample distance between each other and we had no issues with noisy neighbors.  Plenty of well-behaved dogs - dogs are allowed everywhere as long as they are leashed. Unfortunately the water hookup has been off for a couple seasons, so you need to drive 15 minutes away to get potable water. The scenery is beautiful during the day and night. We plan to stay here again!

A place to sleep safely

Older clean campground, Laramie is a great small town w all amenities, the campground provides necessities and a place to stay for night, would not want to stay more than a night, its clean. They are adding new section, it is next to two mobile home parks and freeway. Wifi was pathetic.

Great place!

This campground was beautiful and the owners are SO NICE. Each campsite is right next to the river and have the nicest little set ups. We will be coming back!

Best facilities on the river

Nice large camp ground with some electric hookup sites and a full bathhouse with showers. Cool wooden bridge that you have to cross to get into the campground. Some great areas to be able to play in the river and you can hike up the mountain right out of camp. The only draw back for us was the sites are really close together. So not very private.

Beautiful camp ground

This is a great camp ground on 14. It's of of the road enough that the noise isn't an issue, also right on the water. There are a couple of great sites that are private and shaded. Still close enough to Fort Collins if you need to run in. Also very close to Mishawaka, great place to grab a bite and maybe a show.

It's ok

If you need to be close to Fort Collins or early in the season this is an ok campground. To close to the road and usually very busy. Sites are nice and shaded though and really close to the river. But there are much better camp grounds on up 14.

Sites right on the Cache la Poudre River

It's a very small campground with sites right along the river. There is a hairpin switchback to get into the lower loop and the website states that it is not accessible to trailers longer than 20 feet. Our friends cancelled because of that statement, but we watched some large trucks with long trailers negotiate it without issue.

The Greyrock Trailhead is close by and  we enjoyed hiking to the rock.

The only drawback to this campground is the rattlesnakes. The camp host warned us not to walk in the tall grass because they have caused trouble to other campers and their dogs. We didn't see any slithering around, but we found two dead rattlers on the road near our site so I don't think she was exaggerating.

Mountain biking paradise

We stayed along Granite Reservoir. It's lovely, but we had to listen to jet skis and motor boats during the day. The bike trails are terrific, but as paddle boarders, next time we will head to the smaller Crystal Reservoir, where motorized boats are prohibited.

Good option if main campground is full

Personally, I find having easier access to the facilities of the main campground worth $10 per night if you can find a spot. These dispersed campsites are a good free option if you can't find one though. Make sure that you camp at one of the designated spots, it is not a pick-you-spot-anywhere kind of experience: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd581855.pdf

Sites 1-4 are found shortly after the Nautilus parking lot, where you can find a single bathroom. These spots are also the closest to the trails that take you to the rock climbing routes.

Not for camping, but you can fill water here for nearby dispersed camping

This is not a campground. This is one of two places that offers potable water for nearby camping though (as of summer 2019). The gate is locked so you must walk in with your jugs to fill them up. The Abraham Lincoln Memorial rest area is the other nearby place for water, and the rest area is easier because you can drive right to the pump.

Great access to climbing, very basic camping

We found a set of campsites in the "Upper Blaire" climbing area.

How to get there from US-30

• *Refer map provided in campground website link
  • Approaching from the south: Take exit 329 for Vedauwoo Rd --> Turn left onto Vedauwoo Glen Rd --> Turn right onto Old US Hwy 30 E --> Drive 2.7 miles --> Turn right onto Blair-Wallis Rd / Forest Rd 705 --> Drive 3 miles --> Sharp right on Forest Rd 707 --> Drive 0.7 miles --> Turn right onto Forest Rd 707A then a few hundred feet turn right again onto Forest Rd 707AF --> drive to the end of the road a few hundred feet more and park.
  • Approaching from the north: Take exit 323 for WY-210 toward Happy Jack Rd --> Turn left onto WY-210 E / Happy Jack Rd then shortly thereafter turn left again to stay on WY-210 E --> Drive for 6 miles --> Turn right onto Headquarters Rd / Forest Rd 707 --> In 0.3 miles turn right to stay on 707 --> drive 2.7 mi --> Turn  left onto Forest Rd 707A --> Turn right in a few hundred feet onto Forest Rd 707AF--> drive to the end of the road a few hundred feet more and park.

These sites are primitive and have a nice secluded feeling. You cannot see or hear the highway from here. There was spotty cell service (we have T-mobile). There are no facilities here, but if you would like to access picnic tables or a vault toilet, the Blair Picnic Area is not far away:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbr/recarea/?recid=22894. Make sure to pack plenty of water, you can fill up at the Abraham Lincoln Memorial rest area.

If you want to do some rock climbing in the area, these sites are very convenient.

Some words of caution:

• there are cows roaming free in this area. You might find them blocking the road or next to your tent when you wake up (!)
  • a lot of broken glass at the sites near the parking area
  • there are many fell trees in the area, and it was very gusty when we were there, so make sure to check weather in advance to avoid strong winds that might bring trees down
Easy to find for basic camping

We found a set of campsites specifically on the forest road 705F, near the Hidden Valley picnic area. The sites are free, as they are primitive set-up with only a fire pit. Although there are not facilities immediately there, if you finding camping in this area you are close by to a bathroom at Summit Trailhead and potable water at either Hidden Valley or the Abraham Lincoln rest area. We found a whole list of forest roads that allow dispersed camping 100 feet off-road: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3841999.pdf

Basic Site

Has everything you need as far as hook ups and bathroom/showers. More of a place to park and then drive to where you plan on doing things as there are no activities at the grounds. Need base access in order to use.

Nice place!

We stayed for one quick night. The hosts were gracious. We had to make our reservation same day because of some delays. They were very accommodating and didn’t gouge us! Everything was clean and in working order. Very organized. Full hook ups on almost every site. Decent WIFI, even cable hook ups. Pet friendly with a small off leash dog run. Pretty quiet. Even though it was almost full. They also have a BBQ restaurant that smelled amazing. Wish we had time to eat! FYI- Google tries to take you in the exit. So go in where the BBQ sign is! We will come back!

Gorgeous!

Wowsa! Those rock formations are stunning! The campground was great - plenty of campsites and lovely trails to hike. We were even visited by a moose and her calf on our first night! The ranger is very friendly and helpful. The water is shut off for 2019 so be prepared to bring your own. Laramie is just a quick jaunt down I-80 which is nice if you forget anything. My only complaint was the highway noise. It was such a bummer to hear semi trucks and car engines and even the train rather than the peace and quiet you normally experience while camping. Other than that…we loved it!

Enjoyable lakeside campground

Easy to navigate. Unfortunately we did have 1 set of rude & loud neighbors who happened to be middle aged adults. The college kids on the other side of us were extremely polite & quiet. Stayed Sunday of Memorial Weekend. First time with small children in a tent. Beautiful sunset over the lake.

This place is legit

Big campsites, no one close, bring water!! Completely free and loved the unique landscape!

Out of the way

Wonderful campground in the forest. Very heavy use area but still feels like you have the place to yourself.

Easy access to dispersed campsites

Easy in & out but has become busier in last few years. Still nice quick getaway to some easy hiking.

Nice area

Nice camping area. Downside is the train tracks are close by. Not a problem though, it is a no train horn area. Nice RV spots with water and electric. Sewer dump on property as well. Tent camping is available as well as cabins. Lots of history at F.E. Warren AFB.

Ranger Review: Zulu 65 Gregory Backpack at Mountain Park Campground

Campground Review

I have parked next to this campsite a few times to hike the Mt. McConnel Trailhead, so this spot came to mind when I was looking for a quick escape up the Poudre Canyon. We arrived on a beautiful Saturday afternoon and did not have reservations, so we were pleased to find that there were still quite a few great sites available. This campground is really gorgeous and bigger than it looks at first glance. There are quite a few loops that offer a variety of sites, you can be right next to the river or surrounded by trees up along the hill. Each site offers nice picnic tables, fire pits with a grill, plenty of parking space and spots for a tent. The campground is located in a forest of Ponderosa Pines, which provide great shade and a natural barrier between sites. The sound of the river is lovely and there are tons of spots that allow you to camp right next to the water. We were sad to have forgotten our fishing poles but enjoyed watching the fly fisherman wading in the river.

The location of this campground is also fantastic, it is about halfway up the Cache la Poudre canyon, making it an epicenter for outdoor recreation. I live at the bottom of the canyon so I have been fortunate enough to enjoy many of the great things it has to offer, white water rafting, hiking, rock climbing, fishing, and so much more. As I mentioned before, this campground shares a parking lot with the Mt. McConnel trailhead. This is one of my favorite trails along the Poudre, mostly because it is rarely crowded and offers beautiful views. If you are camping here and have a few hours to spare, I would highly recommend making the trek up to the top of Mt. McConnel, or checking out one of the many nearby trails.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I occasionally get the chance to review products that I use while camping! On this particular trip, I was excited to be testing out the Zulu 65 Backpack from Gregory Packs.

Before I even packed this bag with all of my gear, I had to try it on and was immediately impressed by the ergonomic design. The back panel is super breathable and the straps are well padded, providing serious relief for my shoulders, neck and back. I have always struggled with back pain but love overnight backpacking trips, so I am really excited for the comfort that this bag’s design provides. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that this bag includes a raincover. My last backpack required me to spend a bunch of money to buy one separately, so this was a great deal to be included in my opinion! I can’t wait to take this pack out on some serious multi-day adventures this year, rain or shine!

We decided to go ahead and pack this bag a few different ways at our campsite and take it on a day hike with a bunch of gear to put it to the test. This pack is quite large and fits everything a backpacker could need for a multi-day trip without a problem. The adjustable torso length and straps made it easy to fit both myself and my taller hiking partner. The large zippered compartment also allowed easy packing and access of my gear, compared to simple top loading packs that I have tried in the past.

One of my favorite parts of this pack is the separate compartment accessed from the bottom, I suppose you could use this compartment for anything, but I think it is ideal for storing and accessing my sleeping bag. Sleeping bags often annoy me when packing for trips, because they take up so much space and make it difficult to access things in the main compartment of my pack. Having a designated spot for my sleeping bag makes it much more simple to pack and organize my bag. This was especially helpful as I recently lost my compression sack for my sleeping bag, but this compartment essentially replaced my need for the compression sack.

The hip belt pockets are another one of my favorite features. I love having pockets like these for day and overnight hiking trips to easily access things like chapstick and my camera without needing to stop and take off my backpack. The only downfall I found on this pack is the lack of other small pockets, I’m a bit of an obsessive organizer, so I would prefer if there were additional small pockets on the exterior and interior of the pack to organize my smaller pieces of gear.

Overall I would highly recommend this pack for any adventurer looking for a high quality backpack.