Newell, SOUTH DAKOTA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Newell Camping Reviews
Top-Notch camping

Close to freeway and at intersection heading to Deadwood. All the things you could ask for in a campground: beautiful pool, great store, camping cabins, great bathhouses. Restaurants and nightlife, gambling can be had after a scenic, short drive. Can be a bit pricey, but why not splurge? You’re on vacation, after all……😉

Beautiful park

Close to highway easy on and off from hiway Nice level sites Friendly folks

Expensive

$750 monthly rate. Sewer hook up, water, and electric are the only amenities on site, unless you’re close enough to the WiFi. The water spigots stick up 2’ above the ground and you’re told if you don’t want it to freeze you’ll need to heat trace and insulate it at your own expense. I showed up mid October and the bathhouse is closed for the season. The campground is conveniently located between a highway and a railway, both are highly active.

Beautiful setting, clean and well appointed.

I'll definitely be staying at this campground on my next visit to the Black Hills. Very nice for tent camping or boondocking with a small trailer. If you are looking for full RV hookups, they do have them but the RV sites are a bit tighter than I might prefer.

Not great for tents

Maybe if your in an RV it’s better? Tent sites are all the way at the top of the hill. Not even in walking distance to bathrooms, showers or the pool. We felt remote up there, which I suppose isn’t a bad thing. Very uneven grassy spaces. They did have shuttle to town. Convenient to town deadwood and lead and to attractions.

Nice campsite

Not many tent sites, but decent amount of space. Some shade. Very clean bathrooms and showers. Nice pool area. Convenient off the interstate. Good location.

A magical snow globe

I stayed for 2 nights in the off season. When I called ahead the hosts said it was on them due to the off season and said to enjoy the space. Very very lovey people. It was like as if I had walked into a wonderland of nature. The day was beyond perfect and the space was magical. I cannot recommend this place enough. Hands down the best camping spot I have ever been too. If you get the chance it’s beyond worth it to stay here. The space is nature at its best. I will be coming back as soon as I am able.

One of the only places to stay late in the year that has full hookups.

Small place on a little lake. Couldn’t really walk around the lake because of all the goose poop. Did have full hookups still in late October. Clean showers and bathrooms. Urban feel.

Secluded and Beautiful

If you’re willing to invest 45 minutes to go down a bumpy 8 mile dirt road the reward will be seclusion and beauty. 9 lonely campsites situated next to Castle Creek surrounded by hills and Lodgepole Pines and wildflowers. There is a clean vault toilet but no potable water so bring your own or be prepared to filter. About 16 miles out of Hill City well worth the trouble. The directions on the USDA website are accurate. Every campsite is next to the flowing creek. Campsites come with a picnic table fire ring (plenty of wood around) and a level campsite. We were there early September and no one was there!

Awesome camping place

We have stayed here for a week each year during rally week. They are super nice and very accommodating. Could not ask for better treatment.