Equestrian
About Fort Welikit Family Campground and RV Park

Located on the scenic Norbeck Byway away from the areas busy highways yet just one mile North of the historic city of Custer as you enter the heart of the Black Hills. Your adventure begins the minute you leave our gates.

Just minutes from Crazy Horse, Sylvan Lake, The Needles, Jewel Cave, and Custer State Park. Easy access to Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, and all the Black Hills Area attractions.

100 unique sites situated in the tall, cool pines that make camping in the Black Hills an experience not soon forgotten. Sites range from full service to rustic and from private to group and family friendly, so that everyone can have the camping or RV experience they desire. ​​​ All the amenities with the cozy feeling of camping in a National Forest campground.

Private
Fort Welikit Family Campground and RV Park is located in South Dakota
Directions
IF COMING FROM THE EAST ON INTERSTATE 90 through Rapid City. Take exit #61 south (US-16 truck route) Stay on the US-16 truck route until you reach the intersection for US-16 south. Turn left (south) on US-16 and stay on US-16 south until you reach the intersection for US-385/US-16 south and follow the lanes to Hill City. Continue through Hill City staying on US-385/US-16 south (to Custer SD) until you reach downtown Custer. (Do NOT take route SD-87 turnoff to Sylvan Lake you will encounter very small tunnels). Turn left on Mount Rushmore Road (main street Custer) and travel East till you reach the intersection for SD-89 (Sylvan Lake Road). Turn left on SD-89 (north) and go 1 mile to Fort Welikit Campground (on your right). NOTE: Tunnels are 6 miles beyond Fort Welikit Campground and will not be an issue on this route.. IF COMING FROM THE WEST ON INTERSTATE 90 from Wyoming. Take exit #57 south (US-16 to Mount Rushmore). When you enter downtown Rapid City follow the signs to Mount Rushmore on US-16 south. Stay on US-16 south until you reach the intersection for US-385/US-16 south and follow the lanes to Hill City. Continue through Hill City staying on US-385/US-16 south (to Custer SD) until you reach downtown Custer. (Do NOT take route SD-87 turnoff to Sylvan Lake you will encounter very small tunnels). Turn left on Mount Rushmore Road (main street Custer) and travel East till you reach the intersection for SD-89 (Sylvan Lake Road). Turn left on SD-89 (north) and go 1 mile to Fort Welikit Campground (on your right). NOTE: Tunnels are 6 miles beyond Fort Welikit Campground and will not be an issue on this route.
4 Reviews of Fort Welikit Family Campground and RV Park
Good family campground for tent/RV

Love the location of this campground; it’s close to Custer in case you forget some supplies or snacks and close to popular spots like Sylvan Lake and Needles Highway. The plots are a comfortable size. Lots of room for activities.

No go for tent campers.

We thought we had found a great place to stay. Made a reservation. Paid the $25 deposit did some research and looked at the reviews. Let me tell you how let down we were.

We were driving up to where it was and we could see from the main road our tent site. We thought hey maybe it's one further back and not right next to the road. So we go and check In and we are right next to the road.andnot even just a road to get to the place but like a main road right off the town houses across the street busy road. Also there little plots are small, like very small. Big enough for our 6 person tent & SUV? yes. After that however, not much room for anything else. Super small fire pit and our neighbors were right next to us. Like so close we could hear them chatting. Maybe if you have an RV go for it. If you are tent camping though I wouldn't recommend. We paid the $100.00 cause they are very strict about refund and well let's get honest they do give them even though there was a ton of tent spots left. Even after we knew we weren't getting out money back decided to forfeit the $100.00 and find a different camp site. So many better camp sites. More space, and not right off the main road where you can listen to cars all night and have lights shining in at you. If you really need a place that has a shower, play ground for kids and a dog run then go for it. However if you are like us and like to camp and don't really need a playground or a dog run and would like some space fr ol m your neighbor camper then please find somewhere else. They have so many just take a drive or Google other sites. Your inner Camper will thank you. In the photo, the trees right there are after a 2 lane road the fence is the edge of Ft. Welikit and other edge of that road. Way too close.

Quiet, friendly and clean

This is our favorite place to stay in the black hills. There's wildlife to be seen daily. The owners are wonderful. Bathrooms are immaculate! The spaces are shaded and a great size. Our kids love playing in the kids play area and the dogs enjoy the dog run!

Ranger Review: OOFOS OOlala Slide Sandal at For Welikit Family Campground and RV Park in The Black Hills National Forest Custer, SD

Campground Review:

If you are looking for a family and pet friendly place to camp while visiting the Black Hills South Dakota area, look no further!! We started planning our family trip 6 months ago, and booked the Fort Welikit Family Campground and RV park based on reviews we read online. We wanted to be in between Custer State Park (Kids choice) and The Badlands (Dad and Moms choice)

There are 100 sites nestled in gorgeous tall pine trees. The tent sites are located on the south two loops, and the Tipi and Cabins sites are mixed in with the RV sites. We stayed 9 days in site 20 that is a RV 50 Amp Pull through site. Check in time is 1:00pm, and check out time is 11:00am. **Very important to know: The trees are fighting the Pine Beetle, so they DO NOT allow you to hang anything like clothes line or hammocks on them. ALSO they DO NOT allow you to bring in out of the area firewood. They do sell approved firewood at the office for $4.50 for a small bundle. The family style bathrooms were located just behind our site, and were cleaned daily. (If we ever stayed there again we would ask for a space on a further loop, as this was a high traffic area!!) The offer a laundry room with washers and dryers as well, but bring our quarters as a wash cycle was $1.75 a load, and the dryer is .25 for a 6 minute cycle. The added kids old time fort play area and the dog park area were well kept and there was plenty of room to play ladder ball and washer toss. We would highly recommend this campground to anyone looking for a family/pet friendly area. If you are looking for solitude, this would not be the place for you.

……………………………………………

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. I tested the OOlala Slide Sandal from OOFOS Footwear https://www.oofos.com/ that I won in the West North Central Review Contest in June. Let me begin by saying I was a little nervous when I thought about what size to order (I am an 8 & 1/2 Wide ladies) I went to the website, and immediately drawn to the OOlala Slide Sandal. When I went into the description, under the "pick your size" button is a handy little "sizing" tab. When you click the tab it reads "If you normally wear a whole size: order the same whole size OOFOS. If you normally wear a half size: Order a half size UP for best fit. (MEN: Order a half size DOWN for best fit) Problem solved!! I ordered the sandals on July 1st and they were delivered on my doorstep on July 5th. Talk about FAST shipping for a holiday week to boot!!

When I took the sandals out of the package I was very impressed with the shape and styling of the shoe. I put them on and know that this was no ordinary pair of slip on sandals!! The arch support immediately took pressure off the ball of my foot, and the cushion put a springy bounce in every single step I took. I couldn't wait to take them on our 10 day family vacation to see how they performed!!

Day #1 we hiked the Black Elk Peak (formerly Harney Peak). It is the highest summit in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains. After our 7 mile hike, I couldn't wait to put my OOFOS sandals on and let the recovery begin!! I wore them while showering and walking back to the campsite. My feet did not slip or slide in them, and they were dry within minutes!! The next day we headed to The Bad Lands, and I wore them all day long. They kept my feet comfortable and energized while putting on another 7 miles of walking!! After returning home from our vacation I have worn my OOFOS gardening, fishing, and even washing my SUV. I am 100% hooked on OOFOS!!