Johnson Siding, SOUTH DAKOTA

Camping South Dakota Johnson Siding

Most Recent Johnson Siding Camping Reviews
Great spot

We stayed here on our way there and back to Iowa recently. Nice campground, neat hilltop view. All hookups available and spacious spots. Will definitely be going back on our next Iowa trips.

Top-Notch camping

Close to freeway and at intersection heading to Deadwood. All the things you could ask for in a campground: beautiful pool, great store, camping cabins, great bathhouses. Restaurants and nightlife, gambling can be had after a scenic, short drive. Can be a bit pricey, but why not splurge? You’re on vacation, after all……😉

My favorite place in the world

I love the black hills and this is Our go-to campground. It is well shaded and quiet and is well located within the park.

KOA near Mount Rushmore, SD

This KOA campground was fantastic!  It was near the Mount Rushmore National Park in SD & it was easy to travel to the national park.  We stayed in a basic cabin & ate breakfast here before heading to Mount Rushmore NP (which I did not find all that exciting).

Because of the great experience here, we decided to stay at other KOA campgrounds on our way home (AZ to CT).

Photos forthcoming!

Typical

There's no getting around that this is a well-maintained park. We stayed here in 2018 for a over a month. October 2019 stay was for three weeks. Everything was fine until a rouge storm was predicted to come in the last week we were to be there. We decided that it might be best for us to head back home. So, I went to the owner and told her what our intentions were and wondered if we might be able to get a few nights credit(not a whole week) with them for 2020 as we were going to come back again. She said she would have to discuss it with her husband and let me know. Two days later still no answer. My wife saw them together while she was walking the dog and again asked if we could get some days off for the 2020 stay, we were planning with our grown kids. They were very rude about it and said they would not do that. We were not asking for any money back. But since we had been with them the year before for over a month, we hoped they would like to get a little more money out of us the following year. I guess they feel that they are the best place in Custer, and they don't have to be worry about any lost revenue. The day we left it snowed up to 6 inches that night and stayed in the teens for the next 3 days. Our propane tank in the motorhome would have run out the first night. So, if you have a problem while you're there don't look for any understanding from these people. Most of the bad reviews I saw after this encounter was how rude the owners were. There are other nice RV parks in Custer. We will give them our money.

Dog breed discrimination

We called around to campgrounds in the area same-day. Good thing we called in advance, because their pet policy forbids any "pit bull" breeds. Our dog is a senior mixed breed that we rescued from an LA shelter. During our cross-country roadtrip from Southern California to Massachusetts, this was the only campground that discriminated against a dog by their breed, rather than by their actual witnessed behavior. We've never had an incident at any campground during the dozen of times we've camped with our dog; in fact he usually becomes friends with other neighboring camp dogs and interacts with them very well off-leash (where allowed). I understand that campgrounds are trying to ensure the safety of all guests, but dog aggression is better detected by observed behavior, not breed. (For example, I was bitten by a black lab while biking in northern Minnesota). This policy is not KOA-wide, but rather on a site-by-site basis. If you are traveling with large dogs, there were a few other breeds on their restriction list, so make sure to check before you make a reservation.

Fine place to camp last minute

We were looking for a campground in the area for a same day reservation on a Friday. We called in the early evening and they still had some spots left, very friendly staff. The forecast predicted some rain, so we wanted to find a campground that had some roofed structures at each site. The roofed shelters at each site don't cover the tent area, but we were able to connect our tarp to the side of the shelter and spread it over our tent for some extra protection from the wet. It worked really well. The campground has shower onsite for no extra charge, they were very clean and functional. The drinking water tasted strongly of chlorine to us, which was unfortunate. Another downside is that the sites are quite close together and not very scenic, so the experience feels more like a  place for vacationing families.

Beautiful park

Close to highway easy on and off from hiway Nice level sites Friendly folks

Expensive

$750 monthly rate. Sewer hook up, water, and electric are the only amenities on site, unless you’re close enough to the WiFi. The water spigots stick up 2’ above the ground and you’re told if you don’t want it to freeze you’ll need to heat trace and insulate it at your own expense. I showed up mid October and the bathhouse is closed for the season. The campground is conveniently located between a highway and a railway, both are highly active.

Beautiful setting, clean and well appointed.

I'll definitely be staying at this campground on my next visit to the Black Hills. Very nice for tent camping or boondocking with a small trailer. If you are looking for full RV hookups, they do have them but the RV sites are a bit tighter than I might prefer.