Camping in Raystown Lake

256 Reviews of 45 Raystown Lake, Pennsylvania Campgrounds

M
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2021

Is as others say

Campground reeks of horse manure 24/7. Was pleased by the quiet despite size of campground and proximity to highway. Sites not overly large or private. Has wood vending machine at entrance for firewood. Hiking loop around lake is beautiful. Jean bonnet tavern nearby recommended for a great meal in…

R
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2021

Beautiful campground near I-81

Very nice campground with clean bathrooms and showers. Nice creek for the kids to play on a hot day. Great spot for kids. Wish the pool was open!

Not sure about other sites- some sites appeared not to have tent sites and steep parking. All the full look-up sites appeared very nice.

Staff was…

• site 001
Site001- full hook up
CThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2021

Great!

We really enjoyed this campground. The sites were spacious, everything was clean and well kept. The staff was SO nice! It was also a gated entrance which was nice. We will definitely return.

SiteL
Doug G.
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2021

Camping on the water

I have been going here since I was a child. Every year I took my kids here for camping and boating. Very clean facilities and friendly people. Nothing like waking up to a view on the water!

• Rothrock Marina
  • The Dam
Dawn C.
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2021

Horrible

We had a terrible experience here. We were at tent site #29 but for only an hour...the "water hookup" was BROWN. The bathroom has no lights or sink... Our 16x16 tent didn't fit the "17x17" tent pad. We had bug spray on and had two ThermaCELLs running and we're literally eaten alive by mosquitoes.…

Reviewed Jul. 14, 2021

Quiet camping

Beautiful primitive campground (tent only). Get a site on the outside towards the water. They are spaced out and peaceful. Has restrooms (no shower), picnic table, and fire pit at each site. Short walk to creek and beautiful pond.

Sitewalk-in site
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2021

Site 10

Primitive site in Michaux. Has a fire pit and that’s it, but FREE. You need to go online and get a permit. I’ve been to a lot of sites in this SF and this is one of my favorites. There’s actually three places to pitch a tent. One is right off the road, one is a little further down (where I stayed…

Sitesite 10
N
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2021

Free Rustic Overnight in Michaux Site 15 - Raccoon Run

The Michaux State Forest has several FREE rustic campsites that can be reserved up to 7 consecutive nights.  We chose site 15 - Raccoon Run and loved it.  It was clean, well stocked with firewood and huge!  There was space for 4-6 tents and just as many hammocks.  There is a creek nearby for water…

• Part of the walk from the road to the site
Site15 - Raccoon Run
Jedediah P.
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2021

Very Nice

Very nice campsite!! Some sites do have limited places for larger tents because of roots but pretty good place to camp.

Site 5 - Primitive

This is a primitive site so all that is there is a fire ring. Sites are free, but you must reserve them online and get a permit. Site is MASSIVE and there is a parking lot that can fit several cars. Stream right past the site that was flowing well in May. Close to lots of mountain biking trails

Sitesite 5 - saw mill

Campground mediocre, area nice

The campground is fine. Basic amenities and pretty small. But it has everything you need. The area is gorgeous and there are a ton of trails to check out.

Month of VisitDecember

Nice campground, nice lake

The campground is large. The primary attraction is the lake, which is nice for kayaking. There is also a small beach area for swimming. Some nice trails and a few are available for bikes.

Month of VisitOctober
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2021

Nothing to write home about

In terms of PA State Parks, this one is ok. There is a pool (with a fee) that is pretty nice. The campground is small and functional. Would stay here again but not something I would seek out.

Very secluded quiet spot

Nice little spot with no one around. Maybe 2-3 cars passed on the SF road each day. Primitive camping with picnic table and fire ring - that’s it. Have to carry your gear from your car a little ways. Very close to the MST. Only complaint was that there was a beautiful creek behind it with no trail.…

Reviewed Jul. 8, 2021

AT - Off Shippensburg Road

Park at the lot off Shippensburg road and then hike SOBO a little less than a mile. Lots of nice sites along the creek before you cross the bridge. If you hit the AT shelter you’ve gone too far. Most have fire rings and the stream runs well so no need to pack in water.

SiteAT SOBO off Shippensburg Rd