Frederick, MARYLAND

Most Recent Frederick Camping Reviews
Gets the job done

Area is well maintained. Bathrooms are close. Affordable but I would bring your own wood. It isn’t that cheap. Great to bring little kids. Camp store is open until 9. The staff is super nice and are easy to get a hold of. Only reason I don’t give it 5 starts is the campsites are a bit close together and I don’t really feel like I’m out in nature but it’s nice to use to get away and hang out with friends.

Stay here to explore DC!

The best park in the DC area! Very nice grounds, clean, and amenities galore! The staff are nice here. They have so much going on! Plan and reserve you DC tours right at the campground. No need to drive anywhere, the tour buses pick you up at the park! Pool, playgrounds, game room, camp store, pavilions, everything!

Access to DC

My husband loves to go DC and we recently purchased a travel trailer. This campground was the best of both worlds. It was close to a metro stop, so we were able to hope on there and head into DC. Since we stayed in October and temperatures were getting cooler, we only played putt-putt and it was very well kept and the tiny cost ($1.00) to play goes to a great cause. The shower houses were clean and the other facilities were in great condition, with what we saw when we walked around. We had an enjoyable stay and would consider coming back when it’s a bit warmer and when we have more time to experience more at the campground itself.

Close to DC

Lots af amenities, and very clean. A lady with the staff, gives visitors a lengthy orientation to Washington, tours, restaurants, Metrorail, parking, museums, and monuments. Metrorail is about 6 miles from campground, near University of Maryland.

Convenient and clean

Easy phone reservation process for next day 1 night stop. Easy check-in, well stocked store, including some RV essentials and parts. Trained staff for guiding into assigned site.

Loved it!!

We camped at Codorus State Park for the first time a few years ago while out east. We really love this Campground! There is a wide variety of sites so finding one that you like should not be difficult, there are some in wide-open park-like settings, and some that are treed. For the most part we didn't notice any that really seem to be right on top of each other, but we think the site we got was the best one in the park. We were in 132, which was huge and had nice open flat areas for the tent, there were actually three spots that we could have put it on, and lots of trees to hang our hammocks and options for our tarps, but there was no chance of rain at all that weekend so we did not hang tarps. Those trees were bare however until very far up, so they did not afford any privacy, but we definitely were not on top of the people next door anyway so it was just how we like it. There is some hiking, not strenuous climbing mountains hiking, mostly easy, and the lake was the biggest attraction for me. Campground bath houses were very clean, nice hot showers with great showerhead that stayed on without pushing a button. Our site was close to the bath, a trail head, and field where we lay in the sun and played frisbee. We are definitely going back!

A must stay!

Beautiful campgrounds situated near a creek. The campgrounds have a homey feel and were decorated nicely for fall & Halloween. The staff & hosts were incredibly nice & helpful. The restrooms & showers were the cleanest I've seen. The sites were very nice and equipped with an upgraded firepit with a swivel grill for cooking instead of the standard ring or rocks. I only stayed one night due to traveling through but would love to go back & stay again

Great adventure for the family

The place is beautiful and they are kind with the visitors. I recommend this campground.

Terrible

The most crowded uncomfortable campsites I have ever seen.

Overall, good experience

This campground offers spacious sites and a pretty convenient location on the cheap. I stayed here Saturday into Sunday and reserved my site ahead of time. Google maps street view has images of the campground, use this if you want to see what sites look like ahead of time - it is a bit overgrown on the riverside today. I’ve seen reviews mentioning squatters… I didn’t notice anyone but then again, I arrived early and set up camp. I can see how some might show up and not realize a site is booked in advance. There’s little privacy between sites but most are far enough apart. Portable bathrooms were clean. Downtown Williamsport is 20 minutes away. C&O trail is steps away. Lots of families with kids but everyone settled down around 11. Fire ring and picnic table at each site. I packed water so didn’t see if the pump was working. The train does go through twice overnight and it is loud but still got a decent night of sleep.

NOVA Oasis

Super close to DC and the hustle and bustle, this park was such a cool random booking. We were seeing a show on a Sunday night and didn’t want to drive home. Uber or Lyft from the campground to Jiffy Lube Live is approx $20 - $25 each way.

The campground has over 120 sites, playground, a water park during the season, holiday light festival, hiking trails, camp store with wood and other basics. There are several large picnic shelters that can be reserved for events. We saw several large parties utilizing these areas. The picnicking area is along the river and really beautiful. Cabins are ADA.

We chose site 41 because it looked pretty private compared to some of the others. Lots of wooded space around us, plenty of room for hammocks! We will get this spot again when we go back. Lots of pull-through sites. Water and electric available if you don’t want a standard site. If you stay in site #41 or nearby just be aware that the shooting range is just through the woods. It didn’t bother us and it stopped at 5pm and isn’t open daily. We had a very peaceful Monday morning because the range was closed. Sunday night camping is great because it feels way more private.

The bathhouses are probably the cleanest I’ve ever seen at a campground. The centrally-located bathhouse showers are not within the bathrooms which is always nice. They’re the numbered doors right out front, I seriously looked right over them at first.

Only had two staff interactions but both were very pleasant.

Close to many battlegrounds, the first battle of the Civil War being fought at Bull Run. History buffs - spend a few days here and take advantage of everything that this awesome park and nearby attractions have to offer.

Also passed a few wineries nearby!

All-in-all, it was a pretty perfect trip. Thanks, BRRP ✌🏼✨🏕

Pleasant, woodsy Campground

We stayed two nights in site #6. The site was easy to back into, plenty long enough and relatively level. We filled our water tank on the way in and used the convenient dump station on the way out. Cell signal is spotty to non existent. There are plenty of trails in the park and two lakes to swim in. We enjoyed our stay.

No Security

When a bunch of high schoolers decide to party till 3AM, there's no one to call. Your only option is to call 911, but it's not technically an emergency so you have to call the the non-emergency number and leave a message.

Then, at 6AM the walking groups start on the trail, so be prepared to listen to their shitty music.

Going back for sure

18 was a very private spot with a trail leaving from the back of the spot. Has a pretty lake with trails around it. In season has concession stand and paddle boat rentals. We went off season, but saw the potential. People were fishing and we saw a swim/run competition. Bathrooms were weren’t the cleanest, but had good pressure and hot water. Campground sells firewood at the entrance, which is too far to walk, so buy it on the way in. Sprint and Verizon cell service. Pack your broom because the sites have very small gravel and it gets EVERYWHERE. We stayed in May and actually had to turn on the heater. Lots of trees for dog run or hammocks. Will definitely be returning

Great for a state park

I stay here for my first camp out with my new camper. No water but the bath house was close and very clean.

Wonderful!

This State Park is easy to find and in a great location. The AT crosses through the park and it’s not far from the amenities of town. The park is a good size and I liked that the campsites were a bit secluded. The sites themselves were close together but we were there in late August during the week so it was practically empty. The bathroom facilities were some of the nicest and cleanest I’ve ever seen. There was even a paved path through the campsite to the bathroom. There are showers, flush toilets, sinks for hand washing, and sinks outside for dishes. We didn’t use much of the rest of the park but there is a swimming pool and lots of nice areas with picnic tables. We really enjoyed our stay!

Nice Campground, Convenient for a Visit to D.C.

Very clean campground with plenty to do on site such as pools, mini golf, and playground. Camp store was well stocked and the staff was friendly and helpful.  Can purchase metro cards at the campground and take a bus from the campground to the metro station that will drop you right at the National Archives (or anywhere else on the line).  Would highly recommend this campground, especially if your going to visit Washington.

Lovely campground, nice hiking with kids

We spent several nights here with kids aged 5-12 and will definitely come back. We live in Montgomery County and this is a nice camping get away close to home. We stayed in Loop E, where the majority of the campsites were set back a bit off the road, well spaced, and nicely shaded. We took a couple of walks through Loop A, and this seemed to be the case for those sites as well. We were a group of 5 and used 2 4-person tents. The tent sites all have a tent pad (great drainage during a downpour!) but the tent pad isn’t big enough for two tents. So beware if you intend to use two tents that most, but not all, of the tent sites seem to have a patch of level ground where a 2nd tent can be pitched. On Saturday there were fun activities for the kids all day (pedal cars, crafts, water balloon baseball, laser tag, to name a few from memory), with some activities also on Friday evening and Sunday morning. A fee is charged for some of these (laser tag and craft supplies) but most are free. There is a small arcade-style game room (with free wifi in the building) where we passed a rainy morning. Air hockey, table soccer, and a small basketball game could be played for free, but pool and the video games required $.25-1.00 per game. We used perhaps 5 miles in total of the hiking trails, doing loops down to the creek and back. They were all manageable for a 5-year old and the kids enjoyed playing in the stream in warm weather. We did see poison ivy at the edges of some trails. There is some distant ambient noise from 270 and overhead air traffic, but nothing too bad. If coming with kids, I would recommend bringing a playground ball and/or basketball so you can use the gaga pit or basketball courts even when no games are organized by camp staff. Also note that there was no ice in the camp store for the duration of our stay, but ice can be bought at the Liberty gas station and the small Clarksburg Grocery, both about a mile from the campground.

One of our favorite

Nice large sites with friendly staff. Lots of free activities for children and it’s close to home

History Buff's,your going to love this place

Mid size park with all amenities, some sites can be tight for bigger rigs.Even has room for your horse.Your surrounded by Civil War history,Downtown Gettysburg is great,great vacation

Good time

Was great not to have to really worry about anything because you are securely on post. I forgot all about revielle 🤣. They reminded me

Love it so far

We are staying here now and enjoying our time. It’s true glamping with yurts, cabins, multiple pools, a hot tub and mini golf. We are staying in the cabin sides and enjoying it.

Awesome little public campground!

The campsites are located along the Potomac River and between the C&O Canal. Flat campsites, Fire rings & pubic well. Very affordable. One can walk to Shepherdstown, WV for some fun. Antietam creek is very close by and is perfect for tubing or just enjoy the river & nature from your campsite!

Campground halfway on the AT

We found this park while driving south to Georgia and decided to stay for a night. It was full of trails and it’s the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail so you can hike some of it too! Our campsite was #31 in the Horseshoe Loop (no elec/water) near the bath house that was very clean. There are water spigots located throughout the park though. Friendly campground hosts attend the firewood barn and are willing to help with suggestions for stores and and such. Check in and check out is both 3pm, which allowed us to spend the morning hiking. Cell service is pretty non existent but there is WiFi at the ice cream/general store.

Nice family campground

We choose this campground due to its location near an event we were attending. It was last minute and the owner was amazingly accommodating! I called Friday to see about one of the 2 cabins for that weekend and he went to look and offered to call me back. We stayed 2 nights in the smaller cabin (12x8). We affectionately called it our She-shed but it had everything we would need for a quick trip. There are 2 twin beds, a small fridge with freezer, trash can, microwave, coffee pot and AC. Outside there was a picnic table, grill, fire pit and wood available for sale. At the time we were there it was $5 a bundle. The cabin does not have water but he offered to add a splitter to the nearby spigot but we had brought our camping jug. The owners are friendly and fast! They were quick to accommodate any requests and checked on us as we were cleaning up to check out to ask if we needed anything. The camp ground has a dump station, sites with electric and water, primitive sites for tents, access to the river, bathrooms, showers, ice and a playground. There is a barn which housed a pavilion for events and a large expanse of grass for the kids to play. Everyone was really friendly and we had a great time. I definitely recommend a stay if you're in the area.

Great family campground!

Lots for kids to do. Camp store has pretty much anything you need! Friendly staff and clean grounds. Overall good campgrounds. Quiet mid-week which was nice too.

Great for little ones

A group of 4 families visited this lovely quiet spot.

Pros: Quiet Lovely little hike for young kids right out of the camp site Close to DC so am easy drive Handicap accessible Lovely little boardwalk to a small creak past a saw mill

Cons: Bathroom was just so-so. I prob wouldn’t want to shower there but - your are camping!

Beautiful Area, Not Crazy About The Lake

I LOVE Catoctin Mountain Park in general!! The trails are well-kept and the scenery remains as natural as possible (I hate it when you go to some parks and it looks forced or man-made).

The Houck area is pretty wide-spread with sites ranging from dispersed walk-in to camping by the lake. There’s pretty much something for everyone.

But, let’s talk about the lake for a sec… Hunting Creek Lake is a 75 acre man-made lake near Cunningham Falls. Ironically, all the streams and creeks in the area couldn’t make a sufficient lake, therefore one was created. It’s labeled as great for boating, kayaking, and fishing. There were even paddle boats available. It’s quite picturesque from the get-go.

But, once we got in, I have to admit I was thoroughly disgusted. I love swimming in natural water features, but this kinda creeped me out. There was all sorts of algae and growth in the water. We would hit pockets and cold and warm water, which felt like you were walking through someone’s urine — there wasn’t much circulation or movement of the water, so it gets stagnant-feeling. Not to mention the abrupt drop-off when you enter into the lake. Nothing natural feeling about this place.

I give the park 5 stars, but the lake only gets 3, if that.

Great resort-style cabin for “glamping!”

Well-appointed, semi-rustic cabins set in Catoctin Mountain. Not far from the Wm. Houck lake area and trailhead to Cunningham Falls.

Our cabin came equipped with A/C and heat, full kitchenette, fireplace, screened in porch, and firepit area (including wood and fire starters!) with seating and picnic table.

Ole Mink Farm is very resort-like with a central pool and clubhouse. They also offer various activities — mainly on weekends — like cornhole tournaments and campfire gatherings.

And I can’t say enough about the customer service!! They take hospitality to whole new levels! We ran into a couple personal snags on our trip, and they were so accommodating. Even when my Mom got sick, they checked in on us and asked about her by name. What a wonderful group of owners!

If you want to “glamp,” I would HIGHLY recommend this place!

This is our “home base”

Love love love this campground. Activities for the kids, diner with a great breakfast selection and subs and pizza for dinner. Very clean facilities. Great staff. Delivery of wood or ice to your site. You can get a site along the creek where you can tube or kayak (they rent them out here)! Close to Antitiem battlefield, vineyards, antiques or even DC (1 hour). At Halloween they have a great haunted house.