Yurts
About Shawnee
Shawnee is located in Pennsylvania
12 Reviews of Shawnee
Beautiful lake

The lake and the trails around it are beautiful. Great swimming and kayaking/small boating. The campground was nice, quiet and clean. There are a few sites that are a bit close together that you can’t really know until you’re there. Overall it was a great time!

Nice but too close to the PA turnpike

We stayed here a few years back and although the campground itself was quite nice and large all night long we could hear trucks going down the PA Turnpike which at the time made it hard to enjoy the weekend while in a tent at night.

The lake is nice for kayaking and paddleboarding in addition to some small motors but unfortunately we never did return after our trip so not sure if you can still hear the turnpike at night or not.

Pleasant camping

We stayed at Shawnee for 2 nights Memorial Day weekend just after Covid19 restrictions had been partially lifted. Site 258 on loop D is quiet, but may have been noisy if the yurt and 2 cabins had been rented out. There is a 20 amp plug and 30 amp service at this site. The fire ring is at an angle so cooking on it proved to be a challenge (we bring a grill grate with us just in case, and had to use it). Bathroom and showers were clean, bright, and there is a dish washing sink outside. Showers were push button but pressure was great and the water was hot (make sure you push the button once before you get in so its warm if no one else is showering at that time). Bring shower shoes. We were able to hear a small bit of traffic from the highway, but nothing that disturbed us. There are several stores within a 20 minute drive (Walmart, etc) and a mall an hour away. Camp wood at the entrance is $5 and is tiny; our biggest piece was a foot long, 4 inches wide and 2 inches thick! It was okay to start a fire, but we went into the woods and picked up dead wood that we cut into manageable logs. There weren't any roadside stacks of seasoned wood, so be prepared if it rains. The picnic table was saturated and too heavy to move, so we ate sitting in camp chairs. We would stay again.

A treasure to remember, after a long, rough day...

I had made plans to stay at SSP-PA as my first stopover spot, post leaving my beach friends on the East Coast. The morning drive started early, had several stops and starts, and I was once again glad that my big dog was along for the ride. Shawnee is a lovely state park and I was really pleased with my brief stay. 'Though we were only sleeping the one night, I found the staff to be pleasant and the site spacious. It might have helped that the doggo and I were about the only ones in our campground loop, aside from the campground hosts but the area felt well-maintained and well-proportioned. We had a good night's rest, after enjoying a post-dinner campfire and getting to breathe in the fresh, woodsy air. While sitting fireside, I got to enjoy the local wildlife, from birds to young deer, around the edges of my campsite. The campground restroom was clean and a fair size. I would definitely recommend it and I will certainly look into another reservation, the next time I roadtrip through Pennsylvania.

This campground has expanded over the last few years. That have started to

Nice fishing lake and can be remote.

Lots of Space

beautiful park with a lot of space between campers. Cute beach with an odd gate? Bring your kayak!

Huge, very well-maintained & friendly staff

I spent a night here on my way to Pittsburgh one weekend, and I couldn’t be more impressed. it was huge and very well maintained. If you stay here, make sure to travel down the road to see the Flight 93 Memorial.

Beautiful Forest

Foggy mornings are the best in the beautiful forest near Schellsburg historical sites. Nice lake too. Easy access from the PA Turnpike.

Yurt by the turnpike

The campground was clean and family friendly. You could hear traffic from the turnpike easily. Provisions are a short car ride away.

There are many trails to hike and boats can be rented for a day on the lake

The yurt wasn’t the cleanest…but it was August. We had a nice time and would go back…with our own tent.

Love the park, campsites could be improved

The campground is okay, there are a fair amount of awkwardly-placed sites that sit on a hill and are difficult to place a tent, equipment or gear. Our site was essentially a grassy plain, no tree cover which was a bit disappointing. So we ended up putting our tent basically on the neighboring site (which was vacant) in order to string a tarp up to block the rain. Regardless we really enjoyed our stay and the park itself. The trail around the lake was incredible for biking - highly recommend! Everything in this park and campground are extremely well marked and maintained. Nice lake where you can fish, canoe/kayak, etc. didn’t get a chance to swim because of all the rain but there is a beach as well. Will be back, regardless of the grassy plain campsite, maybe will pick a more wooded spot.