The best BOAT IN camping near
Rifton , NEW YORK

Most Recent Rifton Camping Reviews
Family Friendly

This is a very nice campground for families. Has a lot of activities and facilities for campers. It is a bit more open and campsite can be a bit close to each other. But the place was very clean a friendly.

Fantastic, spacious campground

This is an amazing campground! We had plenty of space and easy access to the lake. We went on a busy weekend and they are currently only operating at 50% capacity. I would recommend reserving a spot well in advance. This is a very large campground with multiple different areas. It has a good water pump and the bathrooms were well maintained and had a nice sink washing area.

Beautiful hikes nearby

Very peaceful and quiet with lots to do in the area.

Nice place

Quiet and nice grounds.

Awesome Camping!!

This was my first time at Mongaup Pond and we loved it. The place was all booked and we got lucky with a cancellation at a premium site on the lake. It is such a beautiful place and so nicely done. The sites are not on top of each other and mostly separated with some kind of brush or bushes. Lots of places to hike and play. It’s was Late September so it was a little to cold to use the lake, but it didn’t matter, we had a great time. Can’t wait to go bback on the Spring.

Better than I expected

I had to make a last-minute reservation for a campsite on my drive back from Maine to DC on a Friday night in September, so was a bit worried about finding anywhere decent at all.  This campground was one of the few with any sites available, and I got the second last spot.  So I had pretty low expectations.

Actually this campground is pretty nice--the campsites are of a normal size, with enough rocks and trees between sites to provide a decent amount of privacy.  Again, my campsite was one of the worst, right on the road, but still not too bad.  It would have been pretty decent if every campsite around me hadn't been full, generally with families with a bunch of shrieking kids.  But that's a weekend in September…

There are also a limited number of campsites right on the water.  The lake is nice enough, although much of it is covered in lily pads.

Bathrooms are fine.

No wood for sale on-site, but there are several places nearby to get wood, and any other supplies you need.  The campsite is not exactly remote, I think it was about a 5 minute drive to a gas station with firewood and all manner of supplies.

I would definitely stay here during the week when it might be a bit quieter.

Big sites

The campground was nicely maintained and space was restricted between sites due to Covid. Firewood wasn’t available at the camp, had to drive about a mile to grab some. Close to town so easy to grab needed items. It was situated right across the Hudson River from a highly active nighttime freight train route, and the noise from the horns and then being awake for a few minutes as the train clattered by. The sites were spacious enough to allow for two cars each and probably 3 tents each (saw this at one site). Rangers running the place were pleasant and informative.

Great place to stay!

beautiful sites for all types of campers

Lovely campground

Great location and quick to get to from NYC. 45 minute drive and location has a lot of amenities. Full bathrooms and slop sinks throughout the campsite. The campsites are a bit close to one another but if you have a big group you can book several sites near each other and have a great time with family and friends. The wildlife do roam around your campsite so be mindful of putting food and garbage away before sleeping. Hike trails are all over the place and the lake is nearby. Definitely coming back again and making this place a regular visit for my family and friends.

Clean and Spacious

Large campground! We camped during COVID a couple of weeks ago and the staff were not there to check us in upon arrival. It seemed they left early which also meant we couldn’t buy wood from them but it all worked out. The grounds were quiet with enough space between sites. The other campers were friendly and everyone kept to themselves. We had a great time. The booking website is pretty painful to use. Our site was nice and flat also. Water spout was great and they were all over.