Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About North-South Lake Campground

North South Lake Campground is the biggest and most popular state campground in the Catskill Forest Preserve, offering extraordinary scenic beauty, and historical sites, such as: Alligator Rock, Kaaterskill Falls, and the former site of the Catskill Mountain House. An abrupt change in elevation occurs from about 540 feet above sea level at the base of the escarpment to approximately 2,250 feet at the site of the former Catskill Mountain House. The provinces around the lakes have long provided visitors with exceptional views of the surrounding countryside. It is said that on a clear day, five states can be viewed from the escarpment.

7 camping loops; 219 tent and trailer sites; 2 lakes; 2 beaches; Two picnic areas: one on North Lake with two picnic pavilion rentals a 20' X 32' and a 44' X 24' (the larger of the two with electricity) and one on South Lake with a 40' X 60' picnic pavilion rental (with electricity).; 2 picnic areas with tables and fireplaces or charcoal grills; playground; flush toilets; hot showers; boat launch (no motorized vessels); rowboat, canoe, kayak and paddle boat rentals; firewood sales; volleyball; horseshoes; fishing; playing field; trailer dump station; recycling center; solar cell phone charging station; ADA fishing platform.

Price
North-South Lake Campground is located in New York
42.2041 N
22 Reviews of North-South Lake Campground
Fantastic, spacious campground

This is an amazing campground! We had plenty of space and easy access to the lake. We went on a busy weekend and they are currently only operating at 50% capacity. I would recommend reserving a spot well in advance. This is a very large campground with multiple different areas. It has a good water pump and the bathrooms were well maintained and had a nice sink washing area.

Better than I expected

I had to make a last-minute reservation for a campsite on my drive back from Maine to DC on a Friday night in September, so was a bit worried about finding anywhere decent at all.  This campground was one of the few with any sites available, and I got the second last spot.  So I had pretty low expectations.

Actually this campground is pretty nice--the campsites are of a normal size, with enough rocks and trees between sites to provide a decent amount of privacy.  Again, my campsite was one of the worst, right on the road, but still not too bad.  It would have been pretty decent if every campsite around me hadn't been full, generally with families with a bunch of shrieking kids.  But that's a weekend in September…

There are also a limited number of campsites right on the water.  The lake is nice enough, although much of it is covered in lily pads.

Bathrooms are fine.

No wood for sale on-site, but there are several places nearby to get wood, and any other supplies you need.  The campsite is not exactly remote, I think it was about a 5 minute drive to a gas station with firewood and all manner of supplies.

I would definitely stay here during the week when it might be a bit quieter.

Great experience

Loop 6 is quite, water front view

Great for kids wish we stayed longer

There weren’t any boat rentals due to COVID, which was a big disappointment. The staff is super friendly, bathrooms clean. Awesome dishwashing stations. Hot high pressure showers. No WiFi or any cell service, but that made for a better trip with the kids. They gave us junior naturalist workbooks for the kids, and they turned them into the ranger station for review and got super cool patches. They cannot wait to return!

Great family campground

This place is enormous. This is a NYS park run by DEC. They are very strict with quite hours which are from 10pm to 7am. The had a truck come around many times after 10pm to make sure everyone was quite. This is a great spot for young kids. I was warned about high black bear activity in the region and even had to sign a waiver acknowledging their presence and all the rules associated.

Each site had a fire pit with a grill on top of it and a picnic table. Sites are very close together but that didn’t bother me. There are bathrooms and showers, both very clean in every loop. Attached to the bathroom area is a large sink to wash dishes.

The north lake is under construction so there is not beach front there. Beware of staying in Loop 6 as you will probably hear the construction noises.

The north lake does however have a nice path alongside it and a spot to deploy a non motorized boat.

No cell service anywhere in the park or close by.

I highly recommend staying here.

My favorite place in NY

Campground is big and staff are very friendly and helpful, I have stayed a various sites and they where all spacious slate floor so having something soft if sleep in a tent is recommended. The park offers plenty of hiking trails with great views, Overlook mountain hotel site, you can also hike to katterskills falls it’s a long hike but worth it when you get to the falls if not you can drive down and park at the trail head parking mid way down the road to get to the katterskill falls trail. Make sure to stop at the general store on the corner they have everything you need and souvenirs to bring home..

Excellent location.

Located just about a mile from Kaaterskill Falls this campground couldn’t be in a better spot. We had a wonderful weekend there. The restrooms were clean and had showers, which we did not expect.

Standard campground no frills

This was a nice campground, no frills, but it’s proximity to kaaterskill falls is the selling point

Love this place

The sites are spacious and private and there are lake side sites available too. Perfect for groups!! We were able to maximize our lake experience by bringing an inflatable kayak. I was able to explore many different parts of the lake and do a decent amount of fishing. There were a few hiking trails walking distance of the campground that were fun to explore. We will def come back!!

Clean, Tidy, Beautiful

What a great first camping experience for my toddler. He had a blast running around and hiking around the lake with his mom and dad. The beach was closed for swimming when we went (no lifeguards) but we rented kayaks and paddled around the whole day. Kaaterskill Falls are nearby - it hadn't rained much when we went, but it was still cool to see. Only complaint was lack of diaper changing table in bathroom - we had to change my son outside on the benches and it got a bit chilly!

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift