Northfield Brook Lake, CONNECTICUT

Most Recent Northfield Brook Lake Camping Reviews
Nice Place

Campground is nice

Amazing!!

Great place to hang with friends and family, lots of activities, clean bathrooms.

Nice campground, great location

I try to go here every summer with my two preteen grandsons. We tent close to the restroom and the pool, which are very clean. We go mid week and the special is pay 2 nights, get third night free. Devils Hopyard and Gillette Castle are close and Rocky Neck State Park is about a 25 minute ride

Best. Campground. In CT.

Man I love his place. Quiet rv and tent site park. Portopotties scattered about and showers and such near the entrance. Tent sites are nice and isolated, but not scary far apart. Lots of wildlife so keep your food sealed… Nice walking trails and free kayaks as available. I always get site 1, it's in its own area with pretty flat terrain. To reserve, fill out the form on the website and you'll get a confirmation. You can pay at the office when you check in. they'll also bring firewood to your site.the kid that works there is really nice but I always forget his name!

Nice family place

Good family campground with access to the ocean. No fire pits in the ground but you can bring your own ($50 on Amazon) or rent one (bring cash). I've done tent camping here in the summer but don't know much about the RV side, although I believe they have dump stations and such. Restrooms and showers are pretty good too, but typical campground bathrooms. 4 stars cuz I'm not a huge fan of the beaches, if I could give 4.9 stars I would.

Mixed review

They have a small playground, activities, tennis court, basketball. Not to mention its next to the amusement park.

However the tent spots are small and close together. Also there is only one set of facilities for the whole place.  It's quite a walk to the bathrooms.

Very Nice

This place is very beautiful and rustic at the same time. The employees are all very friendly. Once you get the hang of getting around the area there is so much to do, I can't wait to go back.

Pretty decent

Great park with large enough campsites. Bathrooms were clean, showers were ok, could use a little bleach. We were at site 52 and had to drive to the bath house because it was so far, but we didn’t mind. Mosquitos were terrible. Water taps scattered around campground. We were drinking the water right out the tap but by our 4th day there were new signs to boil the water before drinking. We figured since we had been drinking it so long and felt fine we were ok so we didn’t boil our last day.

Great location

Stayed here about two years ago just before then governor closed the state parks due to a fiscal crisis. The sites are very open, not wooded so you have little privacy from adjacent sites. Unfortunately our second night had some noisy obnoxious neighbors and there are no staff on site to monitor noise levels. Despite this the surrounding area is great. We hiked and went fishing nearby. There are few places to purchase goods on the way to the site so stock up before arriving. No water hookups or bathrooms either. If you prepare and know how to effectively car camp with a tent you’ll have a good time.

Great quiet getaway

Nice campsites with little traffic.  The brook was great for the kids to explore

I WOULDN'T GO BACK

Comments about the campground first… This campground is ok. If you're looking for a long drive into the woods with not a lot around, this is your place. It is admittedly quiet. Keep in mind, there is no place to dispose of garbage. So be prepared to haul it out. And there are no places to buy supplies if you forget anything. You will have to drive at least 15-20 miles. So be sure you are prepared or be willing to drive. Also, I concur that any of the sites along the road are terrible(e.g. sites 3-5). The road is a main road and is very noisy. There are bathrooms and showers(one per bathroom.) They are mostly clean. And there is a place to get water and to wash your dishes. Sites 3& 4 are not even separated by trees. So best not to book them unless you want to get to know your neighbors. I can't speak to the other sites. One word of caution… This campground has a zero-tolerance alcohol policy. As with most campgrounds, the website does say"no alcohol". Unlike most, if you bring beer, you can expect to be kicked out without notice. No warnings. Full disclosure, my family booked several sites here and was asked to leave because we had beer with us. We were not rowdy, disruptive or belligerent. We are not kids. We're 40 something professionals with kids of our own. We have all camped in every New England state for many years and had traveled from several different states to be there. We have never had a problem anywhere else. Did we violate the policy? Yes, we did. But that said, I have never camped anywhere that the policy was enforced. Therefore, if you go to Granville, be sure to take the policy seriously.

Not the best campsite

We were able to book site 112 at the last minute and the staff waited for us to arrive. Although they were very friendly, they dropped the ball when it came to cleanliness and park security. We had other campers arrive back at their tent sites across from ours at 11pm and they were inconsiderate of all the sleeping campers with their lights already out. After Midnight I called the office and emergency line but got only the office answering machine. There was a host in a site 2 down from the party and nobody came to address the noise. I had to go and ask them to quiet down twice and lower their spotlight they were using to cook with. They stayed up (about 15 of them) til after 2am. I did email the owner and let him know the situation so I was able to contact someone about it, and he was going to check into it and where the ball was dropped by the staff not patrolling the campground like he said it was supposed to be. We had water and a 15 amp power box at our site and it was great for a tent but not for anything else. The sites are very close together. If you have kids, they have a lot of things for them to do, but when you want to get sleep, it wasn’t the beat place to stop.

Solid Campground

Spent the weekend camping with friends and we really enjoyed our time at Clarence Fahnestock. We were lucky our site was secluded from everyone else and we were surrounded by lots of trees. They also have community sites if that’s your thing. The bathrooms were fairly clean but only 2 stalls so sometimes got a bit crowded. The beach across the way was great and had its own bathrooms and a small concession stand. Overall very pleased and would definitely go back.

Great Spot!

Big and spacious state park with many camping options. Has options for trailers, tent sites, platforms for tents and even some cabins. Small store in park that sells firewood and ice and a few other things you may need. Big lake with swimming and boating as well as many hiking trails. Bathrooms on site as well as showers. Some sites are close together, but there are a few a little more secluded and set back. Fire pits are great. Can’t wait to camp here again!

Children’s camp

Great place that does after school programs and summer camp for children. As far as I know there is no public camping here.

Decent camping

Very convenient if you want to go to the beach every day, but the campsite itself is very busy and crowded, usually with a lot of families and kids. Can’t use hammocks here, and you need to rent a fire pit. Nice if you want the location, but not the best for actual camping

Quick stop / overnight

Wife and I stopped here as our halfway point to Maine from Baltimore. We do not regret it! We got there late and couldn't check into a normal site but the park did let us use the emergency stop off area to set up a tent. The ESO area was located in the park and we had a nice shaded field right near the bathhouse to set up. Full access to the bathhouse and park facilities. It's $14 cash to use the ESO and well worth it if you need a place to stay on a extended trip. We can't wait to come back for a longer stay! We had to be packed up by 8am which was no problem because we went down to the beach in the morning and sat by the water. The park opens to public at 8 so we had almost an hour without any real crowds. The staff was nice and the facilities were clean, wish we could have stayed longer. Great place for families and don't forget your bikes! Very flat and plenty of riding!

Quiet, clean and friendly

We stayed for 4 nights during the week, and it was the quietest campground we've ever stayed in. We were told by a seasonal that its a whole different story on the weekend. There are 2 pools and lots of games that they provide the equipment for for free. Bathrooms were clean. Most sites are a good size. Fire pits are nice and big made with large rocks.

A lot of it is seasonal, but it didn't feel like it like others we've stayed in. People were friendly.

The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful. A branch fell on the camper, and the owners son came right down and checked it out.

Our only complaint would be the spot they put the 5th wheel our cousin brought. It was too close to the road, and they wouldn't let him pull in so we were facing each other even though it would have easily worked out.

Fun place to stay

We stayed here for a week, the store is not big but has the necessities, there are 2 convenience stores nearby, has a playground for kids, a nice size pool and activities for kids of all ages they had a teen pool party the weekend we stayed, and they had an event to make suncatchers in the morning, they had a Thanksgiving dinner though we did not participate but looked like they had a great turn out, it has bathrooms and showers that you have to pay a quarter per 5 mins seemed more like 10

Nice rustic campground

Beautiful State Park, Nice clean Beach and Lake, Bathroom and showers were clean.

We had a family camping trip with lots of kids of all ages, the walk in sites are not too far off the road so it was easily manageable.

Small, Quiet, Cute!

Hawes is one of the few campgrounds in CT that's dog friendly. The sites are nice and large, with room for trailers, and they also have a few cabin sites as well.

There is access to the Farmington River from the campground for your fishing and paddling pleasure.

In the summer, this place is mosquito central, so bring lots of bug spray or be eaten alive!

The camp office only sells ice and firewood, but there's a Stop and Shop nearby, as well as a couple of general stores.

Last but not least - no cellphone service, which is either a good or bad thing, depending on how you feel about it.

Neighborhood Camping

A clean and for the most part quiet camp spot. However it is near an electrical plant that has a hum all day & night—makes for great white noise when sleeping.

There is a road that seems to house construction vehicles that were busy going by early evening and early morning.

The park is great if you are traveling and need to pull off the interstate to rest your head and get a shower. The bathrooms were very clean.

The staff were all incredibly nice and helpful. I felt safe in this campground.

The photos people posted are deceiving as they are taken from other places and not right in the campsite.

I would stay here again when passing through but would not make it a multi day stay.

Awesome Time

My family go every year and ALWAYS have fun! Whenever there is any problems, the owners are always there to help! They always have have something for everyone. I highly recommend!

Great for all the family

Nice clean well run campground. Entertainment all weekend with lots of staff. Play areas, pool over 21 bar area bands etc. well worth a visit and close to berkshires

Off-season is great!

The beach area is very user-friendly with several parking lots as well as pavilions to break from the sun. Large bathrooms with showers and dressing rooms complete the amenities and several vending machines for snacks are available. Lots of shells and rocks so bring shoes.

In addition to the beach, there is a beautiful area adjacent known as Meig's Point. It is here you can follow a short trail through a partially wooded area straddling the beach. The beach is littered with boulders deposited by the glaciers. The views are beautiful and the rocks and stony beach give a connection to the time of the glaciers. Two information kiosks help to explain the evolution of the area. Across from here is a bucolic salt march. Beyond that is the nature center, another area to investigate.

Nice Local Spot

Plenty of amenities. Many types of sites to choose from. The showers could be more convenient. The first site they offered us has a tree growing in the middle of it, which really should be cut down to allow access. The site we moved to was better. However, Saturday night a large overnight party arrived, set up speakers and played loud music for most of the evening. So much for a peaceful camping trip.

Solid car camping location

We biked from the Chester ferry to Devils Hopyard campground, at the north part of the park. We reserved by phone, site number five which ended up being a good spot. There are no neighbors to the right of the site but the porter potty‘s are right there.

There is no running water or electricity but the campground still served its purpose. The waterfall was a quick walk away and you could hike down to the river for a quick dip. The river isn’t deep enough for a full swim but still was good enough on a hot day.

There is a general store in Hadlyme about 4 miles away. Other than that there are not many options for food or supplies. A woman at the general store mentioned the campground recently reopened. Based on the hike we did around the state park it appeared a storm had ripped right through the area.

All in all, this car camping or bike camping campground was a solid option.

I absolutely love this place

I’ve gone here 3 times in 2 years and my kids love it can’t wait to go bAck I hear they built a mini golf course

Great low key campground

Very friendly family owned campground. Spacious sites that are not crammed together. Great trout fishing down the road. Everything you need is on the grounds. Swimming pool, kayaks and boats on the pond.

Cosy, comfortable, quirky, chilled

We were passing through Connecticut and needed a place to crash. Loved this campsite! Very chilled and secluded in your own site. I liked that it felt like a litrle community but still quotr private. They provide ice and firewood which is cool. Loved our camp site, lots of trees around too. Was very buggy so bring bug reppelant! Hot showers were fab and they have water and toikets too. Very easy to drive too as well snd friendly staff on site avail till 6pm. Great spot. Liked that the toilets were close from every site!