Pets Unknown
About Kettletown State Park
Drive In, Walk In
Kettletown State Park is located in Connecticut
5 Reviews of Kettletown State Park
Cabins & trails are great!

Stayed in a cabin on the lower loop. Went hiking all day. Kinda close together sites, but the trails make up for it.

Not well kept

I have been camping here since the early 90s. I am usually impressed by its cleanliness and upkeep. This past visit, Aug 2018, I was not impressed. It was run down, poorly kept and seems like the young employees just didn't care. I am aware of hurricane damage but no effect is made to keep the sites groomed and clean.In the first half hour I was there I cleaned up a bag of misc. trash. Did not see anyone cleaning or racking etc during the days I stayed. The trails are in real need of upkeep… I emailed the Dept of enviroment… u reiced a robot email stating that I'd hear from a human…never did. I hope the state funds a clean up.

Camping in nature, not too far from civilization

Kettletown State Park isn't just for camping. There are also hiking trails , a fishing area and a swimming hole, but the week I was there there was a high bacteria count, so no swimming was allowed. Also, when swimming is allowed, there isnt a lifeguard.

The campsites are varied, you can tent camp, use a camper, or they also have a few cabins you can rent. Be advised, there isn't a kitchen or bathroom in the cabins!

adorable small camp

I love kettletown, it’s a favorite that is very close to home. It’s a small camp ground and it’s absolutely beautiful. The bathrooms are always kept clean and stocked and there are a ton of watering spots.

Ranger Review: CRKT Chance in Hell 18" Machete at Kettletown State Park, CT

Campground Review

Me and my 10yo hit up this park for a stay while road tripping through the northeast for my speaking tour. We spent quite a bit of time in CT State Parks on this trip, and this was one of the best. Like most states, CT has quite a few really nice ones and others that seem to have been forgotten by the park system.

Kettletown has everything you could want in a state park visit…

Swimming area

Fishing area

Hiking

Woods

Camping, both primitive and hook up

We enjoyed playing there, especially chasing the Canadian Geese by the lake. We were there in early June, and were almost eaten alive by mosquitoes when we ventured into the woods. Take lots of bug spray and wear long sleeves/pants, even in the summer. I promise your stay will be more fun that way.

Product Review

CRKT Chance in Hell 18" Machete- https://www.crkt.com/shop/survival-knives/chanceinhell-machete-18.html

Be sure to watch the video for us using the machete- https://youtu.be/5kEg93Aqi5w

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. Today, while we were at the park, we tested and reviewed the Chance in Hell 18" Machete from CRKT. My son and I both played with, I mean, USED the machete in a serious adult fashion while there.

We both approve and absolutely love this machete. As a former Marine and longtime outdoorsman, I've used a wide variety of really crappy machetes over the years ranging from off-the-shelf ones to military issue. I found that most would not hold an edge, were flimsy, and often broke with a modicum of use. Not so with this one.

I anticipate this beast of a machete, a Ken Onion design by the way, to last me a good long while. As a matter of fact, I think more of these will make excellent gifts for my boys in the future.

It's solidly built and chops wood as well as a hatchet. Even with one swipe, my son was able to make quick cuts to kindling wood and branches. We also tried it on soft ferns to see if it would cut or just bend them over. Quick swipes and the soft ferns were gone.

Aside from being a great camping and adventuring tool, if the zombie apocalypse ever occurs (fingers crossed!), this machete will make an excellent zombie-killin' tool.

The size is perfect for carrying but long enough to do some damage.