Westernport , MARYLAND

Camping Maryland Westernport

Most Recent Westernport Camping Reviews
Great Tent Camping

Camped here this weekend. We were in a non-electric tent site. There were four of us with two tents and we reserved two sites because their website says they restrict the sites to one tent unless you’re a family then you can have two. Well they don’t really stick to this because the site next to us had seven tents spread across two sites. Walking around we saw several other sites with three and four tents. Besides that, though this was a great site. Wood and ice available for purchase. The bathhouse is a little old but not terrible. They cleaned it multiple times a day due to COVID. Plenty of great trails close to the campsite and the town of Davis nearby for some local eateries and shopping. We plan on returning!

Best Suited for Families

I grew up camping with my family at Rocky Gap every summer. The best feature of Rocky Gap is the versatility of the campgrounds. There are options for RV camping with electric, tent spots, small cabins, and the resort if you would rather have a more comfortable resort experience. Pets are allowed in a select few loops.

They have a range of activities available including a large lake to swim, fish or paddle. There are a few trails for hiking, at least 2 small “beach” areas off the lake with play grounds and a camp store. You can also go over to the casino resort for entertainment and food.

Alcohol is not permitted outside of the resort which is partly why I say this camping experience is better for families. Rangers routinely monitor the site loops and there is a quiet hours period, I believe starting at 10pm and you will have a ranger pull up on you if you do not adhere.

CAMPSITES BREAKDOWN:

Type: Gravel Vehicle Accessible: Yes Size: ~ 1 large tent or 2 compact tents. Most are the same size, fairly small spots. Bathroom: Communal bathhouses in the middle of each loop with toilets, sinks and showers. Fire pit: Yes, with grill grate. Firewood: Must buy firewood at camp store. Water access: Some, depending which part of the loop your site is located on. Electric: No unless RV camping. Alcohol Policy: Not permitted unless drinking in the Resort or a motor home. Other Features: Picnic table, small wood post counter / hook to hang a lantern on and place a camp stove on.

Do not recommend

This review reflect the campsite only, not the surrounding area or Dolly Sods, which is beautiful.

This is the most we have spent on a campsite anywhere ($50/night) and the worst. This is frustrating. The video is if site 3. You will notice the nonstop high-pitched whine in the background. It sounds like a leaf blower but is, in fact, a 24 hour a day pump that is working with the two large, rectangular, man made "ponds" directly behind the site, which I assume have something to do with septic. The ponds are surrounded by a tall chain linked fence with barbed wire on top, so this fence is what you see for you entire field of vision at the tent site. The picnic table and fire ring are down a hill and about 50' from the parking area. That could be overlooked, but there is no gravel pad and the picnic area is bare dirt so muddy in the morning. Thankfully it did not rain. Finally, the state employee here at the state park was not wearing a mask both times that we entered the recreation area to check in, but a few supplies, and then see if another spot was available. Just about everyone camping here is over 65 and West Virginia has a mask mandate. After 3 phone calls and 1 stop in at the lodge, we did get a phone call and one night was refunded back to us, which we did appreciate.

We stayed at the Kentuck Campsite. The sites are close to each other but we had plenty of space at the same time. The hiking trails were beautiful this time of year. Wasn’t a big fan of their restrooms, not very COVID friendly I felt and a bit outdated. That’s the only reason I give it a 4 star.

Scenic Location

Stumbled in to campsite late on a crowded weekend camp host was very helpful. We were able to get a site for the night in the tent area. Area had nice clean amenities site had tent pad fire pit and table. The tent areas were not very private and wasn’t exactly what we were looking for but had a very nice view of Seneca Rocks.

Great find for anyone

Pull thru sites,full hookups,near I68,Morgantown and Coppers Rock. Activities for the kids and playgrounds. Great views. Minimal Interest noise.

Criminal citation, for pitching tent outside of poorly delineated area

I was camping at site 109; a seemingly very small clearing, feet from the road. At one corner of this clearing is a 5 foot wide trail which leads to a larger clearing, with a large fire pit. I figured this was part of the campsite, pitched my tent there and left my car in the small initial clearing. Woke up to a police officer telling me that although he knew very well the site delineation was very ambiguous, he had no choice but to give me a citation for camping in violation of my permit, which is no less than a criminal offense in MD. Officer admitted regularly ticketing campers this way, and that his superiors didn't care to remedy.

3 stars because the rest was fantastic!

Really a nice place!

We stayed here in October 2020. Nice family campground with cabins, tent sights and RV slots. We tent camped and Steve (owner) took us down to the bank of the south branch of the Potomac. Perfect!

Beautiful location

Excellent location and well kept property. Campsites are spaced apart and there are trees for hammocks. Tent pads and campfire circles/grills are provided. Facilities are good too, but the location and scenery are what make this campground fantastic.

Nice campground, clean and plenty of activities for the kids. The only thing we didn't like was all of the road noise. This campground is located by 2 major highways and truck traffic and Jake brake are constant all night long. The road noise made it hard to hear when we were sitting around the fire.