the dyrt
No Alchohol
Swallow Falls State Park is located in Maryland
4 Reviews of Swallow Falls State Park
Amazing state park

Thisis s very nice park with primitive, powered and cabin sites available. The falls are available via a short trail from the camping area. Camping here also gets you accessto the Herington Manor area also.

Best Spot in Maryland!

I have fond memories of camping here is a kid, and was thrilled to finally take my son this year!

We stayed in the Garrett Loop, site 62. We went mid week, and the loop was mostly full, with just a handful of spots open. The other loops only had a handful of people staying in them- so if you are looking for a quiet camp trip, I would go for the other loops. If you want your kid to have access to a playground in the loop and maybe some other kids to play with, stay in Garrett. Our site, 62, was literally right next to a great playground. If you have small kids, and want them to be able to play on the playground, while you set up camp or maybe cook dinner, it was a great site! It also had our own path to the bathhouse- which was also great when traveling with kids.

One thing to note is that Herrington Manor is right down the road AND if you are a paid camper with Swallow Falls, you also have access to Herrington Manor- which has a lake, picnic area & kayak rentals. This to me is a huge benefit of camping at Swallow Falls. You have the great campsites at Swallow Falls, the nice, easy hiking right by the camp store… and then, just down the road is a lake, kayak rentals, etc and it is all included in your campsite fee. We also decided to stay an additional day (and so needed food and such) so we drove into town and got to visit some really cool antique stores and had a nice lunch. It was a great way to spend a bonus day, before cozying up by the fire for another night of roasting marshmallows.

The camp store is well stocked and friendly- so if you forgot anything, they likely will have it. We even bought some souvenirs to remember our trip! We didn't have cell service here, and they were nice enough to allow me to call my husband to let him know we were safe and sound. (We have T-mobile, but some campers with Verizon seemed to be just fine with service)

The bathrooms were kept clean, but were outdated. I'd love to see a new bathhouse, but it was totally acceptable- hot watered, cleaned regularly, etc.

Right off the site of the camp store is access to a very accessible trail- grandma can totally handle it and part of it is even wheelchair accessible. We can't wait to go back!

Beautiful state park with several waterfalls and fun, short trails

We have NOT stayed in or photographed the campground at Swallow Falls state park, but I wanted to provide some photos of the park and a brief review of the area as we’ve been there several times.

Swallow Falls is one of my favorite places to visit in the greater Deep Creek Lake area, especially since I find the hiking directly around DCL pretty lacking. The trail between Swallow Falls and Herrington Manor is nice, but the much shorter main trail within SFSP itself is awesome. Muddy Creek Falls - the main attraction of the state park and the highest waterfall in Maryland - is the main reason to do the hike, and a great place to take an amazing photo. The whole trail - though only 2 miles or so - has a lot to offer, though, with a variety of smaller falls, ‘local’ swimming holes, great rock formations and places to fish on the river, and a lot of places where you can still see the path of Hurricane Sandy through the park.

Definitely a great place to check out if you’re camping in or visiting the nearby area, and I’ve heard the campground is quiet and peaceful, I’ve just never camped there myself. If we do, I will post another review with pics of the campground.

Swallow Falls

We visited Swallow Falls over Labor Day Weekend 2016. We had an awesome corner campsite. The campground was quiet, regardless of it being a holiday weekend with lots of kids around. There was also easy access to not only the falls, but also Herrington Manor which was right down the road. It was a great place to go kayaking while we were there. We would definitely stay here again!