Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 35 ft.
New Germany is located in Maryland
6 Reviews of New Germany
Beautiful!

It’s a small park nestled in a little pristine valley that feels like you are in another world! You are surrounded by old growth hemlock, miles of trails, and a good lake. The views alone are worth the trip!

A cool gem in the mountains

I’ve only camped at NGSP once, but is very familiar with the park itself. The camp sites are varied. The website has the camp pad measurements, but I believe they are over stated. There are two loops- one pet friendly, one not. The larger ( not pet friendly) loop is nearer the lake. Some of the sites are close together, some are not as large as they are made out to be on the reservation site. The best sites are 11, 12, 24, 26, 38, 39. They offer the most in shade. 11,12,38, and 39 offer a bit more privacy as well. There is one bathroom that offers warm showers. If you’re camping at sites 14-26, the walk may seem a bit long to use the john. The park has about 15 or so miles of trails. The trails are easy to medium and are open to cross country skiing in the winter months. The lake has a small beach and the water is always cool. We noticed fewer ranger patrols than in other state parks, but we stayed near the beginning of camping season and I don’t know if that was a factor. The ranger station at this time was closed due to COVID. There is NO cell coverage, so bring your conversation starters or a book. Nearby is a few small restaurants, and a small convenience store, but the closest market is in Frostburg. (The local Sav-a-Lot has closed) Also nearby is Savage State Forest with ample trails, ORV access, and fishing, Forbes State Forest (PA), Deep Creek Lake, Swallow Falls, Herrington Manor, Garrett State Forest, Potomac State Forest, and the brand new Wolf’s Den State Park all with their own trails and varied amenities. Kudos to the park for sereneness, but man, that late night long walk to the bathroom sucks.

Great family camping

Trails are very nicely kept and clear with maps at every intersection so getting lost is very unlikely. There’s areas for swimming and fishing and you can do non-motorized boating like kayaks and such. There’s also a lodge that has a gift shop and snack bar and areas to charge phones and they also have WiFi. A bath/shower house is provided for every site loop, including their pet loop. For kids they have a small jungle gym and critter center. Overall a very nice family camping area.

Beautiful!

I have lived in Maryland my whole life and just recently experienced the beauty of New Germany State Park. The park is full of very tall pine trees. The campground is well maintained and the Rangers were very friendly. The sites are well maintained although some are close together with not a lot of privacy thus the 4 star rating. I stayed at site 28 which was backed by a large wooded area. It was however a hike to the bathhouse. The bathhouse was fine, clean enough but could have used a bit of an update. I did not use the shower so I can't tell you what it was like. The weather was crazy the one night I stayed! Thunderstorms turned to ice turned to snow which made the area even more beautiful!

Less known western Maryland lake

We loved this campground. It was quieter than Deep Creek with shaded good sized camp sites in the Hemlock loop where pets are allowed. The small lake was perfect for swimming, and the hikes around the campground were beautiful. The bathrooms were always cleaned and the staff was super friendly! Overall a very good experience.

Gorgeous park; truly "unplugged" experience

Site was very large and private, surrounded by beautiful forest. Plenty of room for our pup, TV, pop-up gazebo, and gear. Each site had a fire ring with grill grate, and a nice, large, composite picnic table. We were right in front of the bath house, which was convenient, but the light was pretty bright at night. We were also the closest site to the loop entrance, so we could hear some traffic along the main park road. Didn’t bother us too much, but I imagine it would have been pretty noisy if we’d been there during peak summer season. Camping loop overall was nice and quiet, though; we had two neighbors while we were there, and barely saw nor heard anything from either of them.

Simply put, this park is absolutely gorgeous. Easily the most beautiful MD State Park we’ve visited. Everything, from the forest, to trails, to lake, to Meadow Mountain, is a camper/outdoor enthusiast’s dream. The fall foliage made everything even more beautiful. Apparently, the park is very popular amongst cross-country skiers in the winter, especially since they have full-service cabins and a warming hut by the lake. I’m not into cold weather at all, but I imagine I would love to spend a day by the lake in the summer time. Said lake area also has a concession stand, boat rentals, swimming beach, rec hall, and nature center, but these were all closed since we were there out of season.

Bath house in our loop was old and small, but kept very clean. I never used the shower, as it was too cold, but it looked adequate. LOTS of spiders, which don’t really bother me, but definitely a nightmare for arachnophobes.

We drove through the two other, non-pet-friendly loops, which were also beautiful. Sites were spacious and private, just like in our loop, but with the addition of tall pines. Saw mostly tent campers, and a few small TTs. The roads were very narrow, with a decent incline, so not big-rig friendly.

Note that there is very little to no cell phone reception in the park, so combined with the lack of hookups, this is definitely an unplugged, “connect with nature” type of camping experience.

Overall, I absolutely loved this park, and can definitely see why it’s referred to as Maryland’s “hidden gem.” The only negative was the lack of hookups, as it got pretty cold at night, and our battery was unable to sustain the needs of our heater. It would have been fine if it had been just me and my husband, but I think it was just too cold for our small kids, especially with the wind and rain we encountered. I would love to return in the summer though, especially since the area doesn’t experience the same type of extreme humidity as the more central and eastern parts of Maryland. Highly recommended!

Cyber Monday Gift Extended 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift