About Savage River State Forest
Savage River State Forest is located in Maryland
5 Reviews of Savage River State Forest
Great primitive campground

If you want a good primitive camping experience this place is great. Only $10 a night and you’re supposed to only have 2 cars and 6 people at a single site but the rangers don’t really care much as long as you’re not causing trouble. There’s multiple boat ramps, and from one end of the reservoir to the other on a kayak is about 2 hours. Hiking options are endless although some are hard to spot. There are some shallow swimming holes that are nice when it’s hot. It’s a beautiful location.

Memorial Day weekend

The campgrounds were full but the sites are spaced far enough apart that we didn’t see or hear anyone else. The closest restrooms are at the end of the road near the lake and were well taken care of. Overall the kids and I had a great time.

Extremely dispersed sites

The sites are very spread out, and not very consistent in size/quality. We were able to nab site 112 and it was fantastic: lots of space, and privacy too. It was next to a road, but one with very little traffic. However, we drove past some sites that looked sad and offering no seclusion.

Personally I think the seclusion is well worth the price, but it's worth mentioning that to get potable water we had to drive ~20 minutes. Same deal as far as the for-better-or-worse, but we had no cell service at all for most of the area.

Finally, the Cornucopia Café just outside the park is A MUST VISIT. Inventive menu, friendly staff, outdoor seating, we were pleasantly surprised and will return.

Undisturbed beauty

I went camping the last week of August and it was beautiful. If you’re from the area you know how hot it can be at this time of year but it’s at least 10 degrees cooler out here. I stayed at a primitive campsite with my dog and we found a site right on a beautiful stream. It was a good sized site with a nice fire circle. my favorite part was how private it was, each campsite was 50-100ft away from each other at least. Mine was probably 100yrds. There’s also plenty of hiking in the park and in the adjacent parks like New Germany state park. There’s also places to swim nearby so all in all this park gives a lot.

I need more time here!

beautiful location and landscapes, great hiking