the dyrt
No Drinking Water
About Wolf Gap Recreation Area
Wolf Gap Recreation Area was once the site of a 1930’s African American Civilian Conservation Corps Camp. This recreation area has many hiking opportunities nearby. From here begin your hike to the popular Big Schloss Overlook with scenic views of Virginia and West Virginia mountains. Stay at one of our charming campsites and enjoy falling asleep to the peaceful symphony of nearby crickets.
Drive In, Hike In
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Wolf Gap Recreation Area is located in West Virginia
Directions
From I-81: Take exit 279. Turn west on SR 675. Drive 3.5 miles to STOP sign at VA 42. Turn right, and take next left to continue on SR 675. Drive 3.1 miles to a fork in the road. Stay right, on SR 675, and drive another 3.4 miles to the top of the mountain. The entrance is on your right.
4 Reviews of Wolf Gap Recreation Area
First come first served basic sites near great hikes!

Camped here two nights: first night in main area near bathrooms, second night across the street in the overflow camping area. We actually preferred the second night more than the first! Even though there were lots of hikers during the day, in the evening it quieted down and was lovely. I recommend you start your hikes to early, right after breakfast before the day hikers start, and that you visit Wardensville and the Lost River Trading Post!

A little piece of heaven

This campsite is by far one of my favorite free campsites that Virginia has to offer. what makes Wolf Gap so speacial is the the 4 mile hike that leads to a rocky overlook of the valley. Plus if you looking for some piece of mind this campsite is isolated from the outside world. So pack the kids and spend a couple days in paradise.

Talk about a get away

We made a spur of the moment one night trip up here from Virginia, and I do glad we stumbled upon it! There are only 8 or 9 camp spots, each with a leveled area for a tent and a designated fire pit. There was a notice saying wood was for sale, but didn't say where. Luckily we had our own, just needed to be sure to burn it all. There were hiking trails leading to the Appalachian Trail, I wish we had been able to hike more! I honestly was most thrilled by how quiet it was with only a few neighbors. Definitely worth checking out ❤

Great hiking

Great place to go tent camping and hiking. The sites are free and are first come first serve. Highly recommended you bring your own water or container to fill at the spring down the road.