McCoole, MARYLAND
Most Recent McCoole Camping Reviews
Extremely dispersed sites

The sites are very spread out, and not very consistent in size/quality. We were able to nab site 112 and it was fantastic: lots of space, and privacy too. It was next to a road, but one with very little traffic. However, we drove past some sites that looked sad and offering no seclusion.

Personally I think the seclusion is well worth the price, but it's worth mentioning that to get potable water we had to drive ~20 minutes. Same deal as far as the for-better-or-worse, but we had no cell service at all for most of the area.

Finally, the Cornucopia Café just outside the park is A MUST VISIT. Inventive menu, friendly staff, outdoor seating, we were pleasantly surprised and will return.

Quiet and peaceful

The owner is very friendly and helpfull. The location on the water adds for a great view. Electric only.

Great place!!!

Really loved this campground! Had a blast with my family here on a family reunion trip. Here are a few things I loved about this place:

1. Hiking- some gorgeous hikes nearby!! The views are amazing, and the trails are in great condition. My pup loved these hikes, too!

2. Campsite is clean! Nothing makes me happier than a clean campsite. There are dumpsters where you can dump your trash which I think helps a ton! There is also a picnic table and fire ring. We enjoyed making s’mores at night and sitting around the campsite! Also the campsite spots are well separated. We didn’t feel like we were right on top of each other.

3. Biking trail- we brought our mountain bikes and enjoyed some great biking with the family and dog!

4. Road was great to the campsite. We have been to a few campgrounds where the road leading to the place is horrible and needs high clearance. This wasn’t the case.

If you go during the summer, definitely bring bug spray. We had some and used the whole bottle because the mosquitos were so bad!!

Water Nearby

I wouldn't give this campsite a super high review by any means. The campsite itself is pretty run down, and small. The great thing about this place was that the Evitts Creek was nearby, which was great for cooling off. My family and I visited Maryland one summer because we have family that lives in the area, and decided to do some camping the last part of the trip. This was one of 2 places we stayed. We did some hiking around the area- Evitts Mountain is close by and provides some really great views. They do have quiet hour in the park, I believe it starts at 10pm. You can not bring firewood in the campground. You basically have to use collected items from the ground to start your fire. Also, I brought a hammock, but was told we couldn't tie anything sort of rope to the trees, just FYI. There is a table and grill on each site as well, which is always nice. You can reserve your spot online, or pay at the station there. We only stayed 1 night here, and I think it was $20 for 8 max in a campsite. We split the cost between 2 families.

Family friendly

All the amenities a family comes to love about Yogi Bear parks but this park by far is the friendliest one we have stayed at. From the minute we drove to the gate everyone was welcoming. We stayed in the new camping Wagon which was so much fun. Kids loved it. This park has so much to due. Love that there is 2 pools so you can relax wo all the hustle and bustle of water slides and pirate ships. Was a great quick trip.

Good location

This little camping area consists of first come first serve sites, so don’t plan on arriving late in the afternoon and find a spot. There are about 24 sites and they are very close together. Do not think of this as a secluded camping experience. Proximity to the creek is ok for some sites. And proximity to the road is very close as well. There are bathrooms. There is no cell service in this area.

Go all the way up the hill

We stayed here 9/2018 at site #10 and can't wait to return. There is a small campground just by the entrance that has a small store and electric sites with RV hookups. Site 10 was at the campground at the top of the hill, sparsely populated, and had beautiful views beyond the trees. There were toilets and drinking water, but no electricity. Each site had a fire ring and a picnic table. Trails were well maintained, but be warned that the overlook is crowded.

Great campground

Great clean campground with full hookups. Lots of deer to see

Well kept

Well kept small campground with pit toilets. Campsites have picnic tables and post to hang lantern.

Awesome

Awesome campground with cool trails and rock formations to explore.

One of my favorite places to go

Beautiful campground and surrounding area,

Great place

Lots of weekend events and bingo at the camp store, friendly helpful staff! Great sites!

The campground is absolutely beautiful. There are full hookups. Lots of trails and wildlife.

Pretty spots to camp with lots of room

Nice campground and very easy to find spots along the property to camp. Owner was very friendly and made it easy to book some nights on short notice. Good campground to do your thing and not be bothered.

Awesome kid friendly campground!!

Got a nice secluded spot to camp in the wooded area that had a amazing mountain views and the star gazing platform. Kids had a great time and lots of activities for them to do!

My go too !!!

This is one of my favorite places to visit!! Everything you could want to do in the great outdoors is right here !! Mountain biking hiking fishing

Nice family campground

Nice campground for families and couples. Clean restrooms. Camp store has everything you need. New pool and nice playgrounds. Rocking trolley to the Dairy Queen was great.

Beautiful!

I have lived in Maryland my whole life and just recently experienced the beauty of New Germany State Park. The park is full of very tall pine trees. The campground is well maintained and the Rangers were very friendly. The sites are well maintained although some are close together with not a lot of privacy thus the 4 star rating. I stayed at site 28 which was backed by a large wooded area. It was however a hike to the bathhouse. The bathhouse was fine, clean enough but could have used a bit of an update. I did not use the shower so I can't tell you what it was like. The weather was crazy the one night I stayed! Thunderstorms turned to ice turned to snow which made the area even more beautiful!

Great camping spot if you are headed to the rocks!

I went camping here for a weekend to do some rock climbing at Seneca Rocks. The tent sites we're nice and spacious and each had a large fire pit. A bathhouse was close by and clean enough. It was easy to find our site as they are well labeled and plenty of parking too. As an added bonus, Yokum's general store is 2 minutes down the road and has just about whatever camping food you might need as well as light supplies. This location also has a stunning view of the rocks. Definitely recommend!

Great Fall Hiking

This campground offers views of the gorgeous Seneca Rocks. This campground not only has the view, but it also has everything you need for a comfortable stay: showers, flush toilets, water, and electrical hookups. Each site has a tent pad, fire pit, and picnic table. This is a large campground but can fill up quickly, they do have walk in campgrounds that you are not able to reserve. The campsites do vary in price so be weary cause they can range from $17 a night all the way up to $36 a night. They also have a dumping station which is nice for those in RVs.

Seneca rocks is usually the main attraction at this location with 900 feet of rock sticking out of a mountain. You can hike up to the rocks, take horses, or even do guided rock climbing up to their peak. If you aren’t up to doing any of those, the fishing around there is also super popular among fly fishermen- it is mainly catch and release.

Must See Sunsets

This is the largest state forest in West Virginia, it has a total of 25 sites that vary in their privacy. Each site has electrical hookups, picnic tables, fire grates, and utility post. The sites in the middle of the loop lack privacy that the outer loop sites have. There is one bath house that has hot showers, flush toilets, water spigots, and now WIFI. Pets are allowed but must be kept on a leash. There are gravel pull-ins for the sites, there are a couple of pull through sites for RVs.

The campground gets busy during the fall because it is so close to Morgantown and Mountaineer games. There are lots of hiking trails, coopers rock is definitely a must to see during sunset. Ravens rock is also a beautiful look out trail. Rock climbers have a lot of rock outcroppings on short trails for climbers to utilize. Fishing, biking, and hunting are also popular activities that can be done here.

Nice, but worn campground

This is an older campground that has not had sufficient maintenance in recent years. Several examples include: 1) restrooms don't work, 2) roads need more gravel, 3) drainage is poor, etc. On wet days, I have slipped and slid going to and coming from the campsite, and in the campsite. Because restrooms don't work, there is a hike or car ride to one that does work. The campground staff are nice folks who are helpful. Unfortunately, they do not do a late evening tour of the campground to quiet the groups who are in full party mode from their nearby whitewater raft trip.

Huge Campground with great beaches

The water in both lakes I visited were crystal clear! I liked that the campsites were not on top of one another but I think because this is such a nice campground it is also a popular campground. It was very busy and very noisy. Most definitely more of a family campground than a “back-to-nature” campground. It serve my purpose as a place to sleep for the night and I would visit again with my younger family because of all the activities, especially golfing, kayaking, and Casino, available but the naturalist in me would not appreciate as a getaway.

Friendly and personable!

I was traveling alone and was looking for something about an hour away when I used my Dyrt app to locate a recommended campground. Benner’s popped up near Ohiopyle State Park. I spoke with Mary Lou on the phone to make my reservations and she informed me she would be leaving at 5pm. Well, my GPS said I wasn’t due to arrive until 5:10 and, of course, there were delays. When I got there, well after 5pm, Mary Lou was waiting for me! I apparently was the only tent camper but still, she made sure I had everything I needed for my one might stay, and set me up close to the bathhouse. They were older but clean and well maintained as was the whole campground. They had a variety of cabins, some open year-round. Since it was off season the pool was closed but that just made want to come back in the summer. There also was a putt-putt course and a star-gazing point/trail. Looks like there were also rustic campsites but I would call to be sure if that is your preference. This is mainly an RV Park but plenty of tent with electric and water sites. Plenty of wildlife!!!! As I already mentioned, it’s close to the state park as well as Falling Waters, a Casino, and a great coffee shop.

Backcountry Gold

Did a four-day hike of the 26-mile loop in Dolly Sods Wilderness, first night we camped was at Ravens Ridge. There were some camps already in that area but in the woods, however we chose to set up camp on the ridge with a view of Canaan Valley. The next day we hiked to Big Stone Coal Creek, where we set up for the night, a campsite had been left from other hikers with a makeshift fire pit and stone chairs. On day 3, we hiked up to Lion’s head where there were lots of campsites from past hikers, but we continued on to Red Creek where we camped for the night. Lots of weekend warriors’ hike into Red Creek for the weekend, so lots of campsites but also be weary of the people who don’t know how to use the restroom in nature, lots of flies and toilet paper lying about. The trails were all well marked, I would still bring a map of the trails and know which ones you want to take before heading out into this vast wilderness. Also, be aware that during the summer lots of rain fall so trails will be muddy and some trails almost completely underwater, Dobbins Grade is one of the trails that typically is wet and muddy most of the summer and fall.

You can backpack in any season of the year here, but both roads (Forest Road 19 and 75) leading to Dolly Sods are winding and steep so in snowy or ice conditions could be dangerous. You can park at Bear Rocks or right in front of the trail head, you will see a good majority of cars parked in those areas from people backpacking in or day hiking. There are multiple ways back into the wilderness, the first is close to Red Creek campground along the Blackbird Knob Trail, Dolly Sods picnic area has the trailhead for Rohrbaugh trail, Red Creek trail starts on Forest Road 19, then Forest Road 19 turns into 75 and you have multiple Trailheads along that route until Bear Rocks.

Great state park in WV

This was our first stay in a state park campground in West Virginia and it was a great stay. Arrived during a steady downpour and rented a cabin for the first night but camped the second night. Two loops - one with electric sites and one without. Very reasonable rates - $25 for electric ($22.50 with senior discount) plus you don’t need a state parks sticker as you do for other states. Rates are also the same for residents and non-residents. Not all sites are level and some are very close together (which would be good for people camping together). Inside sites have no privacy between them; some of the outside sites have some trees offering privacy. Flush toilets and showers plus coin laundry. Bathrooms were clean but although the showers appeared to have new shower heads, they were a bit sketchy looking (shower shoes would be a definite). Very limited cell service but WiFi is available in the lodge and cabins. Great hiking trails.

Trails Upon Trails

This campground is pretty small and rustic with only 12 sites. They only have vault toilets and a water pump. Each site has a picnic table, fire pit, and utility post. No electrical or water hookup. The cost per night is $11 and it’s a first come- first serve basis. The campground is a place to just rest your head as there are over 10,000 acres of wilderness to explore with lots of trails to choose from. Late July and early August there are lots of berries to pick along the trails, while the Fall months are some of the most beautiful with the views at Bear Rocks.

Fun in Every Season

This campground is the highest in West Virginia, it has a total of 65 campsites 30 of which are electric and 35 are non-electric. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit, most of the campsites are open and have little privacy from neighbors. No tent pads, but no more than two tents permitted (but may be charged for the second tent). It has a bath house with hot showers, flush toilets, and coin laundry. There is a dumping station. Reservations can be made by phone or at campground registration but is otherwise first come-first serve. Pets are permitted. The sites are $25 a night.

The park has tons of hiking trails to choose from and two viewable waterfalls. There is a lake that is open to swimming, volleyball, basketball, and tennis courts are in the vicinity as well. Fishing is a large draw as well to this area, both catch and release and catch and keep permitted on the Blackwater River.

Best Kept Secret

This campground can be a little tricky to find, but this is such a fun campground. There is a total of 46 sites with varying privacy at each. Every site has a picnic table, utility post, fire pit, and only the river loop has tent pads. The campground has flush toilets, hot showers, and water spigots. It’s a first come- first serve style with getting campsites, can reserve through by phone to the campground host. The upper loop is $12 per night and river loop is $14 per night. Pets are allowed.

The South Branch Potomac River winds around the campground, so bring rafts, tubes, or kayaks to float on. There is also a rope swing around the corner you can hike or float to. Fishing is popular there as well.

We LOVED Camping Here

We had a blast camping here and we went when it was 15 degrees out. So, we were a little hesitant at first but we had a lot of fun. Bring your bikes if you have them. It's a lot of fun to bike around and to bike into the little town. I recommend going when the leaves are changing!