Bighorn National Forest, WYOMING
Most Recent Bighorn National Forest Camping Reviews
Nice

Right by rodeo grounds. Owners are great. There is a small store, showers, cabins. Sites are on either side of small streets. (Best way I know to describe it) Sites are very close to each other. Trees all over. Park is on edge of town—great location.

Serenity

Beautiful, quiet campground situated near a stream with willows. We saw moose nearby and a deer near our campsite. No electricity . Get away from it all here.

Best Campground in the State of Wyoming

The Medicine Lodge Archaeological Site is maintained by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. I normally avoid campgrounds and prefer dispersed camping or backpacking, but I gladly camp here. Sites are well spaced out with Medicine Lodge Creek running through the campground. A walking/bike path goes end to end in the park following the creek. It does not have electrical hookups or dump stations for RVs. There are no shower facilities, but it does have vault toilets and drinking water. You can also buy firewood onsite as there is really nowhere to gather your own wood inside the park. You can go down the 4WD road at the north end of the park to Black Butte a bit and usually find your own firewood, however. All fires must be within the campsite fire rings.

The Medicine Lodge Archaeological Site is a perfect place to camp to explore the Bighorn Mountains, being relatively close to the Medicine Wheel and Shell Falls. If you enjoy craft beer, Tensleep Brewery -- located in a refurbished barn -- is located approximately 20 - 30 miles south in Tensleep.

Wonderful trip out west

We used this campground as our base camp for a week. It was windy and even for late July it was 45* at night. The campgrounds and toilets were clean and there was fences and guards across the roads to keep the grazing cows out. We were lucky enough to have a momma and baby Mose right in the woods in the campgrounds.

Absolutely beautiful!

Every chance my family gets to escape to this gorgeous area we take it. Lots of trails for atv riding, hiking, horse back riding, you name it. Great place for a family camp or reunion.

Cleaniest campground I've ever been in and my family camps a lot….highest ratings.

Best of Yellowstone

Ok, I can honestly say only stayed in two of Yellowstone’s campgrounds, but of the two this one was my favorite, and I would pick it again in the future. The campground was beautiful to me. The restrooms were clean and heated. The building where you go to check in, also contains laundry facilities and showers. With each night stay, you receive two showers at no cost. Also very close to this campground, there were shops, restaurants, grocery store, and gas station. Short drive to reach the falls as well. Hiking trails as well.

Lakeview campground on meadowlark lake

Wr saw a moose by the lake one morning. Open parking spots. Great host!

lakes

there are several campgrounds along the 20 mile dirt road to this campground. there are also several lakes, paintrock lakes and medicine lodge lakes. there was a microburst a few weeks ago so there a lot of trees blown over, really cool to see.

beautiful

nice place to camp, lots of trees beautiful drive through the campsites

Nice campground in Yellowstone National Park. Sites were close together, but they had some nice amenities such as dishwashing room off bathrooms (flush toilets), visitor center very close by with restaurants and gift shops, an amphitheater with ranger shows, shower access and laundry. We really liked it here and will come back again. We were there in June and it snowed the day we left, so be prepared for some unpredictable weather.

Peaceful

Nice little campground on Little Willow Creek. sites are nice, but a bit close to neighbors. Quiet overall except for some day traffic on nearby service road. Excellent walk/drive access to Tongue River. Hosts were amazing!

Best location!

We camped in the F Loop for three nights in July 2018. This campground is great because they sell firewood until late, the shower facilities are clean and private, and it is in the best part of the park! The geysers are great, but my favorite areas are Yellowstone Lake and Lamar Valley. Canyon Campground is right between these areas, providing a great starting point for your daily adventures! The campsites do not have tent pads, so you just put your tent up wherever there’s a flat spot. There are lots of trees, and even though the campground was full, it didn’t feel crowded!

Beautiful!

this campground is great! There is a stream for good fly fishing and we always see a bunch of wildlife!

10/10 would recommend

Stayed here multiple times with friends and family and loved it! There is a ton of area to hike and spots to fish all over!

Old Fashioned Camping

this is a fantastic campground in the Bighorns. Beautiful scenery and incredibly picturesque. we have camped here for years as friends and with family and we love coming back anytime we can. it’s right on the south fork of the Tongue River and while the fishing is better on other rivers in the area it’s a great place to teach kids or just relax for the evening while you watch the Brookies jump!

Central Location

I loved this campground because it was so close to many things. The cell reception was great as well (for Yellowstone). They also had a really nice visitor center and several different, reasonably priced places to eat.

July 2018: Nice staff

This KOA has nice wide lots and friendly staff. Laundry room was clean and cheap. near a highway but not terribly noisy. would stay again.

Beautiful and surrounded by Native History

Around this mountain range is the Crow Medicine Wheel and one of the oldest trails in N America! Native tribes from the area still come to these sacred sites to pay homage to their ancestors and cultural identity. Definitely a unique experience worth visiting

Ranger Review: Natures Coffee Kettle at Sheridan Big Horn KOA

Campground Review:

This KOA is easy access from I-90. That being said, bring your ear plugs, you are near the interstate. I stayed here for 3 nights while attending the American Legion State Baseball Tournament. I chose this campground because they have WiFi and shower facilities.

The camp ground managers are very nice folks! I talked baseball every day with the host and he shared stories of his baseball days. Very nice man who had his work cut out for him battling all the down branches and mess from the thunderstorms that rolled through each day. Cost was $32.88 w/ tax each night for a tent site without power (add $5 if you want a power source). Considering the WiFi and free shower facilities and only 1 mile from the ball park, it was the best value for me. If traveling with family/friends, the campground offers quite a few activities on site. They had a basketball court, horseshoe pits, mini golf, swimming pool, and some fun looking tricycles!

This place was very clean! The bathrooms were spotless each time I used them, regardless of time of day. The showers were very clean, the temperature fluctuated some while using, but nothing to complain about. Free coffee in the office. Laundry facilities do cost, but i didn't use these during my stay, so I can't say much about them. Sites are close together, that would be my only disappointment, but that is very normal for these kinds of commercial campgrounds. Which is the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5.

The Big Horn Mountains are very close by and full of adventure. The town of Sheridan has a very nice downtown area with quaint shops and cafes. There are numerous museums in the area with relics of the history of the area.

Product Review: Natures Coffee Kettle - Brazilian Mountain Blueberry https://nckstore.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/nature-s-coffee-kettle-brazilian-mountain-blueberry-with-1-mountain-blueberry-refill-pack Bear with my product demo video…i was half asleep. Round 2 went much smoother! So, how this works: You are provided a Mylar bag that had a spout and a zip-lock seal. There are 2 compartments, in the upper compartment you will find a large bag of coffee grounds tea bag style. The slower you pour the water over the grounds, the stronger your brew will be. Once you have your water added and it has ran through into the bottom chamber, you can seal the zip-lock and hold the bag upside down to brew the coffee even stronger. I highly recommend doing this. The Mylar bag is not insulated, so I would recommend storing the brewed coffee in a thermos or insulated mug once you've completed the brewing process. I wasn't a huge fan of the Mountain Blueberry flavor, but really enjoyed the Guatemalan coffee I tried the next morning. I will be taking Natures Coffee Kettle with me in a couple weeks when I climb the Grand Teton! Coffee at Base camp and at the high camp on summit day! Cheers!

Scenery, Wildlife and Peace!

I have to start off with, this is my all time favorite camp site, ever! I camped back in this campground years and years ago. The price has doubled since I last stayed there from $8 to $16 and there are many many free sites around but I am more then happy to pay the $16 for this site!

To get here you have to take the highway that goes between Buffalo and Ten Sleep. The turn off is Ten Sleep Drive, there is a resort of sorts there on the corner, you are only about 10 miles from Ten Sleep, so almost on the other side of the mountain from Buffalo. The road is all dirt and a bit wash board but it's in good condition. Slow going though, lots of dust. You'll drive a good 6 miles or so until you come to Deer Park Campground. I have seen big motor homes up here but the campground is really suited for tents, although two motor homes were parked there the night I was there. There are maybe 7 sites in this little campground.

They have made big improvements (maybe the reason for the higher price) to this campground. Years ago the toilets were awful. In fact, I wouldn't even use them, I'd rather drive down to Ten Sleep then set foot in those smelly vault toilets. But now, they are still vault toilets but they are clean, they don't smell, the building has been upgraded as well. There was plenty of toilet paper while we were there. They also have added a water pump that pumps fresh water. This is great, we were on day three of a five day road trip and the water was a welcomed bonus.

So, why do I like this site so much? It backs up to a marsh area and then a giant open meadow. It's a great place to see wildlife and enjoy the sun setting as well as some magnificent star gazing. The site is good sized (too small for a camper but plenty big for a tent). A lot of campgrounds you'll hear lots of traffic noise or people partying but it's quiet here! So quiet that my kids were probably making the most noise and I tried to keep them quiet as well. There is a creek that you can fish just across the road and it's doing quite well. If you know what your doing, I'm sure you can pull out some nice fish. Years ago, the creek was super low and we pulled out barely minnow sized fish (amazing we could even catch them) but now it's much higher and there are lots of eddies and big rocks for hiding places. I can imagine it would be fabulous. There is also a big lake another mile or so past this campground and the trout are eager there. We did catch nice fish there years ago. Didn't make it to the lake this year. There are photo opportunities around every turn. It is absolutely gorgeous!

I have never visited this area with out seeing a moose and this time did not disappoint! I woke up around 6 am and stepped out of my tent to see a nice bull moose out in that very meadow that is so scenic. He walked through and with in about 500 feet of our site and then just kept going. Beautiful creature.

I don't have any downsides, unless of course you get sick or injured. It is a ways back out. Even Ten Sleep is going to take you 30 minutes or so to get to with the slow moving dirt road out. While there we did have a small injury, my 4 year old fell in to a tree branch and cut his head, so make sure you bring a suitable first aid kit in case of small emergencies. I can't say enough about Green Goo products, which is what we put on his head after we cleaned it up. They are extremely reasonably priced and their natural products WORK! Totally worth adding to your first aid kit. This particular product (Green Goo First Aid) also helps with mosquito bites. We camped in many areas with mosquitos (here included) and I put a little First Aid ointment on them and they were gone by morning. Helps relieve the itching too.

I will always return to this site, hands down, my favorite place on earth!

peaceful

Sibley lake is very calm and peaceful. perfect for a kayak, floating around on a tube and fishing. nice spacious area.

nice campground

this campground is nice, its near an awesome fishing stream and just down the he road is arrowhead lodge . the only downfall is it's right next to the highway

Quiet spot near hiking and a reservoir

This was the first national forest campground I saw upon entering the Cloud Peak Wilderness side of the Bighorn Mountains. Site 15 was open and I set up camp. This site opens onto a rocky hill and forested area. I love this area enough to extend my stay to a week

There are vault toilets in each of the two loops. Many sites are reservable but some are kept for walk-in camping. The water is amazingly good.

Explore the rocky mountain and let the kids discover new places. The Tie Hack reservoir can be found if you go far enough. This camp is close enough to Buffalo that you can get a good cell signal 5 minutes down the road.

Suggestion: save the map of trails from Circle View trailhead. It’s a 3-4 mile drive from camp and has some spectacular hiking. I recommend going to Willow Lake if you have the energy. The map at the trailhead isn’t too accurate so get a copy first. Bonus: cell signal is strong at a large variety of places on the trail.

so pretty

very nice place to spend the day…lots of trees

Windy!

Stayed in the Sheep Mountain Fire Tower. With gale force winds blowing the shutters off…and a steep walk to the vault toilet…we bailed early. However, the Bighorns are AMAZING! Saw my 1st moose! Take tent heater for the tower unless going in middle of summer.

bald mountain

This is a cute little campground just across the highway from the medicine wheel. no streams in or near the campground but there are waterfalls within about 20 miles. great views, clean toilet facilities and a water pump.

Big calm river

Beautiful place for fishing. nice central location in the mountain between big lakes

Trees all around

nice clean campground with a nice little creek for the kids to play in

lots of views

Quiet, clean campground with toilet facilities and clean water, beautiful views all around.

Free campsites up the road

We thought about camping at Leigh Creek campground, but on the same road there is a bunch of free campsites more upland from the creek and have beautiful views of ten sleep canyon. we camped right in the middle of the canyon and woke up to unforgettable views in the morning.