Bighorn National Forest, WYOMING

Camping Wyoming Bighorn National Forest

Most Recent Bighorn National Forest Camping Reviews
Clean, Quiet and Convenient

Stayed here for 3 nights in July of 2019. Convenient location for the hikes we were doing and not too far from the west or east entrance to the park. Arguably the cleanest vault toilet I have ever seen. The campground host took pride in maintaining the place. Went in Mid-July, the campground was probably at 2/3rds capacity and we didn't have any neighbors on either side which was very nice. Warm during the day and cool at nights.

10-sleep is just a short drive away for gas and food and most importantly a spectacularly Wyoming brewery.

Lovely Campground in Lovely Location

This area of Wyoming wasn't exactly our destination- we were passing through on our way from SD to Yellowstone. Following a delicious pizza dinner in Buffalo, WY, only 30 or so miles from this campground, we pulled into South Fork. We got in late but had no trouble navigating the campground or the registration process. The campground was clean and everyone was friendly. The greatest surprise, though, was our drive further West through Big Horn National Forest the next morning. It was beautiful and detouring in Ten Sleep for gas was such a treat. I have no doubt that a longer trip to this campground would be memorable. It is close enough to Buffalo for any needs or emergencies. My partner and I agreed we would have to plan a trip back to explore this area of Wyoming.

Just far enough down the gravel road.

I’m going to tell you this is an awful campground so there will be a spot for me next time I go there. If gorgeous mountain scenery, wildlife, and lots of pretty fish in a clear stream appeal to you then I guess this place is for you. No electric to plug into , no dump station, a hydrant to share ,a pit toilet that was very clean.All the stuff missing that keeps the wienies away. The hosts were fabulous!

High clearance 4x4 needed

Beautiful campsites, brook trout fishing in the lake and the creek below, as well as a 4x4 trail that makes a large loop between shell reservoir and lake Adelaide. We’ll definitely be back!

Moose!! Roadside camping in moose turf

Every time we passed this campground we saw empty sites. This came in handy on this holiday weekend. We grabbed a site and before we even filled out the forms the rest were taken. It’s nice to have found a campsite at late notice on a holiday but they did fill up.

The campground has a couple loops. We ended up right next to the road. Consistent traffic became background noise if we didn’t pay attention to it. We would have preferred a quieter setting but at least we found a campsite. The campers in the other loop seemed louder and more active. One site had a bunch of dogs and a couple of sites had large groups. Our loop was quiet and restful.

The hosts keep the place clean. With all the rain we’ve had, the trail that links up to Sibley Lake trail was too muddy to hike. We walked up the hill away from the road where logging is being done. It led to a series of trails that seemed to lead to more logging.

The highlight was finding a mother and baby moose grazing right through our campsite. The host told us that a moose killed a dog recently. I’m keeping a closer eye on ours now.

We loved the moose coming into camp here! This is an ok campground but the closeness to the road wasn’t the best.

Nice Campground

We needed a camp site with full hookups for one night. This KOA clean & the people running it do a nice job. Pull through sites. Nice and level.

Beautiful campsite in canyon near creek

Beautiful campground in canyon of the Big Horns and near a creek. Great trout fishing there per the host. Campsites are right on the creek #4 is RIGHT on the creek and you can just walk down to it to fish. Cleanest vault toilets we have ever seen. All first come first serve $16

Beautiful Bighorn Mountains

Small but beautiful campground located in the Bighorn Mtns of Wyoming. Off hwy 16 a little ways this campground is big on scenery if not amenities. Although tree covered they are rocky and small. However the equestrian area at the back has some beautiful spots.

Great stay!

Nice little campground, tucked just outside of town. Minutes from stores and restaurants. This KOA had a pool, play ground, laundry room, rec room plus many more. Really enjoyed our stay while passing through. Town does have an old siren that goes off at 9pm but it’s not very loud and doesn’t last very long.

One of my favorite High Country Campgrounds

We took a motorcycle trip from Missouri to Yellowstone and stopped here for 3 nights on the way. This is an excellent Primitive campground with unbelievable views.

Although it has minimal services, it makes up for it with the views. Make sure to wake up early and walk to the lake, there was moose hanging out when we were there. Even the drive into the campground is nice. The high elevation makes the evenings cool.

I would go back here in a heartbeat, if I’m ever in the area, I will plan to stay here.

Pros: Very primitive feel, nice toilets for being so far out, shady campsites with plenty of room,

Cons: The long 7 mile gravel road on cruiser motorcycles is a pain.