Bighorn National Forest, WYOMING

Camping Wyoming Bighorn National Forest

Most Recent Bighorn National Forest Camping Reviews

Spacious sites. Stayed in off season so no services, but no cost either. Had a moose walk right through our camp and go down to the lake.

Great place for gravel and mountain bikers to explore!

There are a ton of gravel and off-road opportunities for bikers. Pay attention to the trails rules because some trails do not allow bikers, so obey the trail rules. Some of the off-road trails are also shared by horses so be respectful of space. I met some friendly riders during my exploration ride! The campground is also close to a paved road, which could be a fun road ride tour. The snow-capped mountain views from the campground are beautiful! There are some more private campsites that have a dispersed and primitive vibe even though you are still pretty close to the running water and toilets. There are gravel roads that connect the different campgrounds which would be fun for exploration and introductory gravel riding. If you are not reserving a spot ahead of time, make sure that you show up early (before noon) in the busy summer season because the spots fill up quickly.

Easy to get in/out of sites

Clean grounds. Didn’t feel overly cramped together.

Great place in a pinch!

We were hoping to camp at Sibley Lake campground but it was full. And so was the next one and the next one… Finally it was after dark and we pulled into Bear Lodge Resort. For just $17 they gave us a pull through site with full hookups and a fire ring. It was just what we needed. The next day as we were leaving they helpfully gave us a tip about a great local sightseeing stop at Shell Falls.

Great spot at the base of the Big Horns!

Right off the highway leading into the mountains. Has a great coffee shop and bakery on the property. The owners are fantastic people as well. They don’t have a TON of spots, and they’re popular so if you’re looking to go this way… call ahead!

One of the best for an overnight stay

I can’t think of one negative comment, even the towns 9 o’clock curfew alarm was charming. The concrete sites are level and spacious with tables, fire pits and charcoal grills. The grounds are well cared with a small playground and dog run. Staff are friendly and helpful. There is a paved walk just steps out of the campground where we took a walk and watched deer. We only stayed one night but wish that all our campgrounds could be like this one.

Nice National Forest Campground

I’m giving this 5 stars but my review still comes with a warning. Campsite #9 is next to the outhouse and you can definitely smell it when the wind blows or if it is getting heavy use. That being said, you are camping in the high country. I used my campsite to day hike trail #63 to Lake Helen and back. It was an 11.3 mile hike from my tent. I was not lucky enough to see any moose or elk BUT there was much evidence of both. People with campers that are on the large side definitely struggled to park and level them. This sometimes required help from multiple other RV folks that were already onsite. Just like the reservations say, you pack in and pack out your own garbage. Some campers were unaware. The facilities were clean and my camp was clean. The camp host was lovely. Wood is purchased from the camp host miles away at the Island Park Campground. It’s easier to stop on your 7 mile dirt drive up, than it is to drive 5+ miles down and back for it. I camped here in a tent alone. I felt completely safe and secure in my surroundings. I was the only camper that didn’t live in Wyoming. Generators are allowed until quiet time. There were a lot of bats to watch at dusk. The wildfire smoke sadly blocked the views of the night sky.

Great overnight stay

Great place to overnight in Buffalo. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean grounds, didn’t use any other facilities. Close to road so traffic might bother some—didn’t us.

A pleasant stay

We camped here about five years ago and had a very unpleasant experience, so I was apprehensive to go back. So glad we did! The check in went smoothly thanks to Elena who was very hospitable and helpful. We ended up getting a decent site (not all of them are) that was in a fairly quiet area. We had a level, paved pull-thru to park the rv and a very spacious, shady site (#128) with no sites behind us. All sites come with bear boxes to store your food or cooking equipment. Unfortunately, the people before us opted to store their garbage there and didn’t remove it 😣 My husband was going back out to get firewood anyway and saw an employee and told him about it, and he came to our site within 15 minutes to clean it out and disinfected the interior! He even apologized that it hadn’t been checked. (I suspect that someone may have thought that it was a trash container and didn’t read or understand English well enough to know differently). Because we were camping during “COVID season” the shower facility was closed down and we were reimbursed some of our registration fee. I guess they thought it was better for everyone to be dirty than clean….but in reality I think they were running with a smaller number of employees and volunteers than usual and didn’t have the manpower to keep things clean. Despite that, it was a good stay.

One night stay

Seemed to be geared towards people with RVs but my partner, our dogs and I had a lovely time. The camp was clean and not too loud. Seemed to have a decent amount of space between sites. Every spot was take. Not sure if it’s always that busy or if it was just Labor Day weekend popularity. We woke up to find a moose! They also have firewood for sale. They have a fire pit which had a grate to grill over as well as a grill. The stars on our walk around the grounds were insane