the dyrt
Olympic National Forest, WASHINGTON
Most Recent Olympic National Forest Camping Reviews
Great Grays Harbor County spot!!

This is another great Grays Harbor County spot just south of Montesano. Like Lake Sylvia it is super family and pet friendly. The campsite is divided into two different areas…one for RVs and the other for tents. The facilities are all well maintained and the bathrooms have showers. It is a pretty quiet campground even though it is near a highway.

There are lots of spots to fish in the campground as well as the surrounding areas.

Hidden Gem

Set in a former logging camp above the town of Montesano, park life revolves around a large swimming and fishing lake. This site is super family friendly and pet friendly too.

There is a playground on site and TONS of old logging roses turned bike trails.

There are plenty of tent and RV sites and s few primitive sites for campers. There are showers a flushing toilets.

Great spot

Really liked this campground- we actually didn't stay too long, though. We were headed up toward Bellingham area, and decided to take a pit stop and stay here 1 night and do some hiking the next morning before arriving in Bellingham. I wish we would have just kept driving though, because the weather wasn't too good. We woke up and were socked in with fog and rain. We decided to hike anyways because we really wanted to get a hike in in this area. As you can see from the pictures, it was very foggy and no view. At the end of the day, I was glad that we ended up hiking this beautiful area. Thankfully the rest of our trip in Washington was sunny and so beautiful. The campground looked really nice, big spaces. We actually ended up sleeping in our car because we didn't feel like setting up our tent in the rain. We got to the campground around 7:30pm, so it was already getting dark and it was super wet and muddy. Sleeping in the car worked great and we stayed warm and dry. The restrooms were within walking distance, and seemed pretty clean. There was only 1 other car in the campground that we saw!

Breath Taking views

This site has some fantastic well put together trails. They are well marked, well defined, and the area is spectacular with lots of vibrant green and brown colors from the moss, grass, and trees. This particular hike that I did here called the Marymere Falls was beautiful as the trail opened up right to it. Highly recommend you visit. Watch out for nettles though.

Great hiking!

The campground was great, but we only stayed 1 night because our main reason was to hike Saturday morning. We got an early morning start on Saturday to beat the hiking traffic. We really only slept at the campground and were there less than 10hrs total. The campground looked nice, and clean! The spots were a decent size, fit our car and tent. Table and fire ring within the campsite which was great! We used the table to hold our packs and food! Bathroom seemed to be pretty clean and had TP. Obviously because it’s a porta potty it didn’t smell the best. Campground was easy to find in the evening and within good distance to some awesome hikes. The weather held up for us and was sunny and blue skies. We thought it might rain but didn’t. We would definitely come back, but hopefully next time we will make a long weekend out of it.

Adventurous

This camp ground is fascinating. It is on the water and there is a chance for some great kayaking and views of the lake. Plenty of Wildlife to be seen and plenty of amenities to use if you are going to put your kayak or paddle board in the water. John Wayne even has a house nearby which you can see from his marina down the street. There is a lovely beach as well to take nice long walks on during the sunset and sunrise.

GREAT HIKING!

Really liked the campground, but definitely loved that the hiking was amazing!! The campground was pretty clean, a little smaller, but we liked how well kept it was. The campsite spots are fairly big, and separated by some trees and shrubs. We like when campsites are separated by something because it doesn't feel like we are right next to our neighbors. We have been to some sites where the spots are small and right next to each other with no barriers. The bathrooms were pretty clean, but definitely bring your own toilet paper. They ran out toward the end of our stay. It was a little busy, but not too bad. The hiking was great, and nearby. There is also a walking path right next to the campground that my parents enjoyed going on and walking our dog. Dogs are allowed but must be kept on a leash. The campground is easy to find, and the road was great when we went. This place would be beautiful in the fall to come with all the changing colors of the trees.

Beautiful spot near beach!

The hiking around here is amazing and theres so many different things to do here. It’s close to the water, too which is really neat. They have a playground for kids, fields to play in and an awesome volleyball court. We will definitely come back once they reopen

Liked everything except the spacing

The camper spots are really close together. There is a big field to play ride bikes walk dog etc . The beach is really nice and nearby and at low tide is so peaceful to take a walk. There’s group activities too which is great for the kids.

Hurricane Ridge

This site is phenomenal. I visited it in June and there was still a ton of snow on the ground. Plenty of well marked trails and great areas to explore. There is a ski lodge that wasn't operating at the time I visited and a great visitor center with very clean facilities and a gift shop. This area had the most beautiful views you could imagine of all the mountain tops in the area. I highly recommend you visit.

Heaven on Earth

Rainforest…. lush green moss hanging from the trees.. elk.. fog settling on the ground.. bluest river ever. Fishing is amazing…. campground is clean and spacious. Hiking trails everywhere

Amazing beauty!

Gorgeous Lush Greenery everywhere you look. Beautiful sparkling amazing Lake. Lake Quinault Lodge is a must-see ,friendly people ,lots of hiking trails, campgrounds are amazing and clean running water bathrooms…

I run this ORV Campground, Day Use and Gun Range.

We have 33 campsites, Tent sites and some great pull through sites for Rv's and ORVs, 4 vault toilets that I do my best to keep clean and stocked of toilet paper. I sell firewood bundles with a kindling bundle in the middle wrapped in newspaper for 5 bucks, nice size bundles and/or Gator loads for 20, 15 and 10. I have a garden hose at my site for people to fill water containers and a power pole at my site for airing up mattresses, charging phones, ect. , I sometimes will paint rocks with kids while parents ride ORVs if possible but always have painted rocks hidden in Camp and throughout Capitol Forest and am owner of , Facebook group, Capitol Forest Rocks! #CFR I handout updated copies of Capitol Forest maps and trails, Campground phone number is 360 534 0163.

Overlooking the Beach

This campground is awesome. Waking up in your tent to the sounds of crashing waves and drinking your coffee on the bluff looking out over the ocean is as relaxing as it gets. THe campground is about 50 spots that are tightly packed with nice restrooms. THe beach is accessible to roam miles each way. Bring water.

Out of the Way and Wonderful

Deep park is located on a 7 mile long gravel road. The drive up is tight and not suitable for any type of trailer. The campground has level tent sights that offer a fantastic 360 degree view. There is no water, so bring your own and there a couple of vault toilets. This campground give you a clear view of the night sky and if it rains, some have shelters keep dry. Overall, for a night or two this campground is wonderful.

Peaceful campground in the rainforest.

We stayed here during our trip to Olympic National Park. The campground was in one of the National Park's rainforest areas and felt quite magical. The sites are first come, but we didn't have trouble getting a site in late September. There is no potable water, so make sure to bring what you need or filter from the Quinault River. You do have to travel down a gravel road to get to the campsite. Just a bit further down the road is the trailhead to a few hikes. We did the Pony Bridge 5 mile out and back hike, which was beautifyl! The lack of potable water and shower facilities is a bit of a down side, but the beauty of the campgrounds makes up for that!

Peaceful

Great relaxing location. Really close to lake Cashman. Campgrounds provide plenty of space for groups of 8-10. Very clean and beautiful location for summer camping.

So close to home.

The camper spots are really close together. Our neighbors sewer hook up was right next to our camp fire pit. Kind of was a turn off at staying at that site again. On a good note they have a great big field to play games with the kids or dogs. We enjoyed riding our bikes around the park and walking down on the beach during low tide. I work close to the park so I went to work a few days we stayed at the campground and it was closer then driving home. It was such a great feeling to leave work to go camping for the night and relaxing. They do have buildings for events and a group camping.

Beautiful, serene backcountry site.

We hike the High Divide Loop in 2 days and backcountry camped at Lunch Lake overnight. This was one of my all-time favorite campsites. There were several backcountry sites at Lunch Lake, but only one other site was occupied the night we stayed, so it was really nice. We reserved a backcountry permit, which was required, but then the individual sites were first come. There was a fairly steep downhill off the main trail to hike down to Lunch Lake, but totally worth it! Round lake sat fairly close to Lunch Lake. We did see 12 black bears total on our hike, 3 of which were at our campsite. They were busy eating berries and didn't bother us. Bear bins are required for backcounty camping. There was a pit toilet at the lake available. Water was filterable from Lunch Lake. The water was amazingly clear. I would highly recommend this hike and campsite.

The hike itself was beautiful with several waterfalls along the way. The park ranger told us this was a good half way point, but we actually hiked about 13 miles (all uphill) the first day to get there and had about 7 miles left the second day (all downhill). We probably should have hiked the other direction.

AMAZING beach backpacking campsite!!!

We hiked Third Beach to Toleak Point (camped at Toleak Point) for an overnight backpacking trip. This was the most beautiful, amazing campsite. We were the only campers for about 2-3 miles of beach that night. We lucked upon a campsite where people had fashioned a table and benches (logs) as well as a fire pit and 2 hammocks. Just a few sites down, were a few rope swings. There was a pit toilet in the area. It was about 1/4 mile to Scott Creek to retrieve water for to filter for drinking/cooking. I highly recommend camping here if you have the opportunity. The hike in to get there included some wooden ladders and ropes which was pretty cool.

Beautiful campground

We stayed here while exploring Olympic National Park and really enjoyed it! We stayed in loop A site 10. The site was beautiful, under the trees and overlooking the water. We fit two tents at the site comfortably. Nobody occupied the adjacent two sites, but the were a little close together. There was a nice picnic table and fire ring. We were very close to the restrooms, which were clean. They did not have showers, but we were able to shower free at the Sol Duc resort about 5 minutes away. It is $15 if you want access to the hot springs and showers, but since we only wanted a shower, they didn't charge us. The Sol Duc Falls trailhead was about 5 minutes from the campground. Definitely worth seeing.

Very nice, spacious, forested area

Bear lockers are included, so make sure to lock up all your food. Huge campsites with room for 1 or more tents ( depending on site), parking spots, picknick tables and bear lockers, and fire rings . Tolerable but still plentiful mosquitoes.

Nice Hike and Bike

The hike and Bike area is not easily located because it is set apart from the other campsites. Showers are included in the fee and restrooms are clean. Tent site includes a table and fire pit. Campground is right on the water with a convenience store about a quarter mile away. Seems to be popular with day visitors.

Quiet and Convenient

Quiet camping right on the bay. Campground is conveniently located near the town of Sequim. Forest setting with campsites spread out. Clean showers and restrooms. Campground is accessed by the highway or if hiking and biking from the Olympic Discovery Trail (ODT).

Perfect Nature Campground

If you are looking for a cammpground that is not large and crowded and is what they used to be like, then this is for you. This privately owned campground has full hookups and tent sites. It has clean showers and restrooms, a rec room, and laundry. There is a tank dump and propane. You also have a bar/restaurant next door. There are 20 acres with trails that take you along a creek and a thick forest that includes wild berries. This is a welcome escape from the crazy world and crowded campgrounds.

Campground Closed 2018

Just a heads up this camp is closed as of August 2018. I went there unaware of the closure and upon arriving just saw the gate was down with no sign or info regarding the closure. I walked in on foot to scope out. It looks like a really incredible camp, I hope they re-open it soon- especially since theres a shortage of designated camps in the area during the peak season.

There is no cell service there, but when got drove back to ForksI called the local ranger office and they said they were unsure when it will reopen.

Most unique campground on the Peninsula

Where do I begin..

I decided on a whim to take a camping trip to the Olympic Peninsula, somewhere I had been dreaming of visiting for some time. I didnt make any plans or reservations, just hit the road with a cooler full of food and my camping gear. I drove up from Olympia to the west side of the Peninsula and figured I would find some dispersed camping somewhere in the National Forest, or pitch a tent on the beach. To my dismay, every designated campground along the coast had been completely booked, and wherever I went seemed to have strict rules about parking or camping anywhere. With only a few pockets of area with cell service and nearing dark I was starting to worry. I began searching for anything on my phone, making calls and nothing. I noticed a "campground" on my map with an odd name: "Cycle Camp-RainForest Run Don't Tell Me What To Do Promotions" I found this quite odd but it piqued my interest, so I called. An incredibly kind man answered the phone and I explained my situation to him. He told me they are really a camp for two wheelers, bikes, but that they dont turn anyone away if they need a place to stay. He said to come on by so I drove the hour from Ruby beach over to the cycle camp.

The camp which is owned by Billy and Bob is meant for those on bike tour, or on they motorcycles when they are traveling through the peninsula, but as stated earlier, they dont turn anyone away in need. I wasnt the only person who was in a vehicle and in a pinch. These bikers are old school with an incredible sense of hospitality and kindness. There have plenty of space where you can choose to pitch a tent.

Billy and Bob were so kind, and welcoming. They have a really unique property that you have to see, and cant really be described. They also dont have a set price for camping there. They leave it up to you to decide what you feel is fair, or how you are financially. They have a kitchen to use, showers, and great company. There is a large communal fire pit where travelers alike can schmooze and share their journeys.

I feel very blessed to have found the cycle camp at the time I did, they helped me out when I really needed it! Hope to see them again.

Backup camp when visiting Crescent Lake

I discovered Littleton horse camp out of necessity. I dont usually make reservations when I camp which proved quite difficult when journeying through the Olympic Peninsula during peak season. Most campgrounds I planned to go to were not only completely full, but has so many cars and campers on a frantic hunt for a place to stay for the night. Crescent Lake was no exception. All the campgrounds in the area were completely full, and while there is BLM land in the surrounding area, I was camping by myself and didnt feel comfortable doing dispersed camping.

Luckily, I found Littleton Horse Camp. The camp is intended for those with horses, but many people ended up car camping here due to a lack of anywhere else to go. There was no host there so it was kind of a free for all. I dont recommend camping here if there are other options but it was a good backup since there was no where else to go. There were about 5 groups of campers when I arrived in the afternoon, and when I returned from my day at the Lake, there were about 20 cars there. There is a put toilet, but no water. I found a place behind one of the horse posts where there was a little clearing ands set my tent up there. If you really need water and have a filter, there is a creek when you begin go on the trail to Mt Muller which is located along the road heading into campground.

Its about a 15 minute drive to Crescent Lake, and the trailhead to hike Mt. Muller is on the way into Littleton Horse camp. I highly recommend hiking up to Mt Muller for a great uphill butt-burner with spectacular views alongside beautiful fauna and cedar trees.

Glad to know about this place in case im in a pinch next time I come back to enjoy the beauty of the area.

Peaceful campground by the river

Located on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula, Collins campground is a bit off the beaten path, which was what I was looking for during peak season in August.

The Duckabash river runs along most of the sites. There is a good amount of space between most campsites. Each one has a fire ring and picnic table. I was there the fire season, and while it was hard to escape the smoke pretty much anywhere in Washington, it was as bad at Collins.

I didnt see a campground host while I was there, Im not sure if they usually have one. Most campgrounds in the area were very full and quite busy, so I was very grateful to have found Collins . It Wass quiet and the few campers there were kind, quiet, and kept to themselves.

When driving to the campground on Duckabash road you will pass a cabin on your left side right before the paved road turns to gravel. Apparently that is the oldest structure built on on the peninsula. I thought that was pretty cool!

There are some great trails in the area as well. The Duckabash trailhead is a short drive from the campground and took two great hikes there during my stay. I hiked up river and found a lovely swimming hole, frigid, but beautiful.

I also found a great blackberry patch off the 101 which was so great having while I camped, hiked and in my morning yogurt :)

Cant wait to go back and explore more in the area!

Quiet campground with lots to do

Beautiful old growth campground with multiple hiking trails. Decent privacy with larger campsites. We used the walk-in sites near the river bank during the off-season (=FREE!). Only 2 other campers during our stay, very quiet. Dogs allowed. Close to Mt. Elinor.