Grand Teton National Park, WYOMING

Camping Wyoming Grand Teton National Park

Most Recent Grand Teton National Park Camping Reviews
Incredible Mountain Views!

As a tent camper, this is my favorite campground in my favorite place to hike.  If your site is towards the entrance and/or east side of the campground you have wonderful views of the Teton range from your site.

I have camped here a few times over the years, and have loved it each time.  Due to the view and the proximity to Jenny, Leigh, and String lakes it is an extremely popular campsite not to mention it is relatively quiet due to it being a tent only campground.

The current campground manager has done an excellent job developing an efficient check-in procedure that respects the privacy of the campers, as I have in years prior had people coming to my tent before 6am to ask if I'm leaving or staying longer.

Each site has a fire ring/grate, picnic table, and a bear bin.  The campground has only one bathroom which is centrally located but has been remodeled and is much improved from my previous stays.  Sites can vary quite a bit, but our site had a large tent pad and a water faucet.

It is common for deer and bear to frequent the campground traveling to and from the lakes.

This campground has easy access to hikes around the lakes as well as back into Cascade Canyon.  The Jenny Lake general store/gift shop, ranger station, and boat dock are all short walks from the campground.

Cascade Canyon South Fork Camping Zone (Not a cabin)

Following a boat ride across Jenny Lake, we hoofed up to the South Fork camping zone with our two children and stayed in the last site in Upper Limit of the Camping Zone. This is a back country site that requires a back country reservation in advance. Use of bear canisters is required here, you can check them out for free when getting your permit from the ranger station; be very bear aware. DO NOT hang food here. Please use very clean camping. This designated site is outlined, nestled behind some large rocks. It has a sandy-ish bottom and is flat. Cooking was beautiful on top of higher rocks, but not designated. There is no toilet/pit toilet - dig a cathole away from camp sites. Water nearby to filter from a stream. Very quiet.

Cascade Canyon North Fork Camping Zone (not a cabin)

This is a back country site that requires advance reservation. Use of bear canisters is required for all back country travel, you can check them out when you pick up your permit at the ranger station. DO NOT hang food here. No open fires. This was night 2 of a 4 day loop. Please use only very clean camping and be very bear aware. The moraine is beautiful, water flowing everywhere in late July (filter your water) and so so many wildflowers. Tent sites are established, flat and outlined, one bear box is located in very thick overgrowth and difficult to open but usable. We saw black tailed deer near the waterfall, and one ran through camp in the night, no sleeping after that.

Heaven on Earth. Lake Solitude is just up the trail from here.

Sweet and quiet

This is a back country site that requires a reservation. It is a short hike, less than 1 mi from parking. This was the last night of a 4 night backpacking trip in the Tetons. Quiet, secluded. You can't pick a bad spot under the Tetons. Must use bear canisters for food storage at this site, which are issued when you pick up your permit. Clean camping, please, pack it in-pack it out. After a long hike over Paintbrush Divide (see pic) it was a welcome swim in Leigh Lake.

Awesome Teton Oasis

Members and non-members of the American Alpine Club can stay here with a reservation when climbing, backcountry travel, etc. NOTE: this is intended stay for climbers in the Tetons; this is not a hotel or average cabin. Non-members pay a bit more but in the Teton valley this is a sweet location and stay, especially if you need an early rise for an ascent. Rustic cabins that you may or may not share with other guests. Hot clean showers. Communal cooking that affords great conversation, many picnic tables under a canopy together. Bear boxes provided. Drive up, short walk to cabin. Bikes free to borrow. Staff is amazing. Clean and an awesome vibe all around.

Just what we needed

Perfect campground if you plan on visiting both parks. It's quiet, bug free and located close to a creek so you can soak your sore feet after a long days hike. Only draw back is, there's limited shade on most camp sites, but fill your day with activities and you won't need to worry about it.

Family Friendly and Convenient

My boyfriend and I stayed here when we didn't have any luck with the more primitive spots we had in mind. Although initially upset, we were treated to some simple pleasures, including a HOT SHOWER after a hot day of exploring Yellowstone! We rolled in relatively late, as the sun was starting to set, and had no problems.

The employees at the office and gas station were very helpful and friendly. They even worked with us to get a "more secluded" site at the end of a row. This is a busy campground outside of a busy NP, but it does not feel overly busy and detract from the scenery. If anything, it is very comforting while camping near grizzly country. I would say it is perfect for families, and those who want to enjoy the wild outdoors of Yellowstone with less hassle and a little more convenience.

There is a gas station nearby- really great after driving all around Yellowstone all day. Perfect for anyone exploring Yellowstone or Grand Teton.

Amazing Views

My best friend and I enjoy camping in our Eno hammocks and one of the locals from JD Highcountry Outfitters recommenced this place to us. It was easy enough to find, close enough to Jackson Hole, but still far enough away that we were off the beaten path, this is no touristy campground, it had primitive campsites and a long dirt road that wove through them, but the views were beautiful and it had plenty of trees for us to hang up our hammocks. I would highly recommend this campsite and am anticipating my next trip back!

SNAKES!

There is a backpacking trail along the snake River near the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Right away there is a pretty wide stream crossing. Following that, a long flat trail through grassy fields and forest. Along the way, we found soooo many garter snakes both on our hike in and out. There are several campsites along this trail. We stayed at a campsite that forked off to the left. After crossing another small stream the campsite is just beyond the rocky shore below a grassy hill amongst some trees. Campsite itself is level and has some bear hangs. A small fire pit and places to sit. Very primitive but beautiful. Had a blast both times I stayed here as a wildlife research technician in the park.