Grand Teton National Park, WYOMING
Camping Wyoming Grand Teton National Park
Most Recent Grand Teton National Park Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Gregory Jade 63 liter pack at Moraines Backcountry Campsite

Wow! What an adventure! In January I applied for an advanced permit for August 18-19 backcountry camping at the Moraines for a Grand Teton Summit trip.

To be continued….

Quiet Campground Off Beaten Path

Clean quiet campground just outside Grand Teton Park. Only issue: the mosquitos were a little aggressive at this site, as opposed to other sites that we camped at in the park. Nice one to keep in the back pocket if you're looking to avoid the crowds.

Warm cabin to escape the wet cold

We arrived after a long day of traveling and it was wet and cold outside, so we were very happy to have a cabin waiting for us. We reserved it in May for a July trip. The staff were disorganized during check-in and gave us the keys to someone else’s cabin. They more than made it up to us though by preparing a new cabin while we ate dinner at the lodge, and then there was welcome basket with treats and games waiting for us in our cabin. Beautiful views in this area and just minutes from the park’s south entrance! It’s nice having the lodge right there, so even if you’re tent or RV camping, you can get a warm hearty meal ready when you want.

Nice, mostly quiet campground

Nice campground with some good views (we were on the outside of the B loop) and a pretty lake, walking distance away. We had great time. We had previously spent 3 nights at Grant Village and we found Lewis Lake to be MUCH quieter and more spacious. The only problem was the bathrooms. They were alternately bearable and terrible. But otherwise, the campground was pleasant. We were there in early August and the weather was perfect and there were virtually no bugs.

Awesome dispersed camping spot!

I camped here during a Snake River float trip. Easy to get to launch quickly and close proximity to Alpine WY where you can pick up supplies. There are no amenities at the campground. It is just across the Idaho/Wyoming boarder and on the banks of the Palisades Reservoir. There are trees along the banks. Only fire pits available. No tables, bathrooms, nothing. So please practice good camping etiquette and pack out everything. Gets pretty

Beautiful, Isolated, Great Views!

We pulled in on a Saturday night, in the middle of August, when every campsite in Yellowstone, West Yellowstone, and Teton NP were full. This place was empty, and you can't be the view of the Get one and the Buffalo River. Two minute walk down to the river, and the sites were very clean. Primitive, and the ground was a bit uneven, but, again, my wife, my three boys, and I loved every inch of of it.

Somewhat off the beaten path...

This campground is away from the busier and more crowded campsites in the area. There are no hookups but there are water spigots throughout. Upon arriving, campers are directed (by signage) to go find a spot, park, and then come back up and register.

The lower loop is for tents and car campers (no generators allowed) and the upper loop is for RVs and generators are allowed between 8am-8pm. Each site has a picnic table and bear-proof storage container. The campground hosts are friendly and you can pay them directly instead of dropping it in the container. Camp sites are $30/day for RV sites - you should bring exact fees if you intend to drop in the container (not sure if camp hosts would give you change - I'm thinking they would); however, if it is after hours you are required to pay within 30 minutes of finding your site. Larger RVs would have a more difficult time finding a site - I had a 15ft teardrop camper and I "just" fit. There are restrooms throughout the campground and you can buy firewood and ice from the camp hosts.

It was pretty quiet throughout the day and night and not a lot of drive through traffic. The lake is only about a 5min walk down the road and is beautiful and quiet (this was oddly the only place I could get full cell signal with AT&T service). You definitely need bug spray - the mosquitos are fairly prevalent in the camp area. This is a great location if you are trying to hit multiple National Parks (central to both Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks). It's still close enough to other camp areas that if you needed anything, it's just a short drive 8mi in either direction. Views are fantastic and there are pull-offs all along the road for photo and picnic opportunities.

Oasis below the dam

Nice little place. Stay limit is 14 days. They have pull through electric sites, Several non-electric back in sites, and a few sites next to the Snake River. If you want to dump at the dump site, make sure you have your paper to prove you are or did stay at the park or they will charge you $5 to dump your black tank. They will also charge for filling fresh water if you don’t have your paid site stub.

Great spot

Two loops with plenty of nice sites . Clean and well taken care of. Highly recommend

Warm River (which isn't very warm)

Camping on the banks on the banks of the Warm River, which actually is quite cold, can’t get much better than this! There are several options here- tent camping in a tent only walk in area along the river banks and under some pretty good hammocking trees (best sites are #12, 13, 16, and 8 because they have some space from neighbors and are right on the river); RV sites with what looks like at least electric hook ups (best sites for river views and/or privacy are #2, 4, 6, 19); from what neighbors say is pretty good fishing; and an awesome alternative to camping at Mesa Falls if that campground is full. Walk down the road and cross the river to check out a protected area of the river where the fish are HUGE and you can stand with your toes in the river while you feed them bits of bread. The sites all have the usual picnic tables and firepits, with nice level tent pads, clean vault toilets, and firewood for sale from the campground host. The only two downsides are no showers and the campground is wedged between the road and the river, so there is quite a bit of road noise in the day which fortunately dies down once dark sets in. At that point the river covers the road noise (also helpful in the morning). The campground is close to a lot of hiking trails, but there are no trailheads in the campground (so I guess that makes three bummers). All in all, a cool place to camp.

Big reward for rough road in

Be sure to throttle it way down into low gear as the long in road is really rough! If you like remote with at least the basics of picnic tables, bear boxes, and fire pits, this is your place. The sites next to the creek are the nicest and most level, and all have bear boxes (and notices about mandatory food storage). While I didn't see any bears, there were quite a few mule deer in the meadow in the evening., and I had to kick elk scat out of my tent space before set up.The vault toilet was clean enough, but could have been better. The campground is very close to Granite Creek Hot Springs, a pool type hot spring with a fee to swim instead of a natural hot spring pool. Word is that there were some pools at the base of the falls, but I wan't up for the hike or the very cold fording of the "creek" as it was very full with spring runoff. The manager let me hop in to test the water (too cool for real enjoyment according to him), and didn't charge me when I got out after just 15 minutes. The whole time I was in the pool he was regaling a couple with his story of a grizzly killing an elk calf the week before a few miles away. He was quite the story teller, and had the video on his phone to prove it. It was a "grizzly" tale.

Better than Yellowstone

Well kept campground. Gravel area for tents. Beautiful views. We saw moose, bear,foxes, and elk nearby. Market, laundry mat, and showers very close. Four stars

Beautiful views of Tetons

Wow I have fallen in love with this campground. We stayed in the Rv area with full hook-ups and a good sized site which was gravel with a picnic bench and surrounded by shade. There was no fire pit but they did offer some close to the beach which is a minute away from our campsite. The only WiFi and cell service is at the bar and laundry area but it’s kind of nice to just step away from them. There is a gift shop, grocery store, laundry with showers, visitor center, gas station, propane fill, pizza parlor(yummy), bar/restaurant, and a marina offering boat and kayak rentals(1st come 1st serve). There are tons of activities to do in the area along with hiking trails, rentals, guided fishing, wildlife viewing, photo ops everywhere and A FAMILY OF BLACK BEARS that frequent the area. There is also jr ranger classes and religious services on Sunday. Our family truly enjoyed our stay and would come again

Peaceful and close to Snake River

HeadWaters Rv campground is located in the perfect place right between Yellowstone and The Tetons. Perfect for exploring both Parks. The cell service is pretty spotty, but it’s great to just put down your phone and enjoy your surroundings. It is only 5 minutes walk from the campground to Snake River access. Fires are allowed at this campground. There are Rv, tent, and cabins to stay at. The cabins in the camp area are small but have full sized bunk beds and a desk and dresser. These cabins do not have water or electricity, but there are other cabins with power up the road. The tent and Rv spots are on gravel with lots of shade, a picnic table, and fire ring. Rv sites are Electric and water. There are so many activities to do. Along with the activities they have every day there is horse riding, guided fly fishing, hiking trails for everyone, bus tours, jr. rancher classes and so much more Also on site at the campground is a dish washing area next to the clean bathrooms and showers. There is a propane fill, fresh water fill, restaurant, gift shop, ATM machine, gas station, and bear boxes. I would definitely recommend this campground for any duration of trip.

Super cool private campground

Mostly I stay at state parks when I camp, but there isn’t much of that around Jackson Hole. This place was great. We stayed in the RV area and it was as much as could be expected. Pull through sites, fire pits, enough space between sites to give you some privacy. The bathrooms and showers were top notch. Close enough to day trip around Jackson. Fun enough to stick around. Awesome tiny house style cabins. We didn’t stay in those but poked around and would totally stay there next time. They looked awesome.

Beautiful campground

Adequately spaced sites, next to a creek. Well maintained, nice hiking trails. $12/night. Allows dogs and has good cell service. Picnic tables and fire pits.

Hike to waterfalls

The campground is within walking distance of Lower Mesa Falls and an easy but longer hike to Upper Mesa Falls. All the usual amenities in this campground- picnic tables, fire rings, vault toilets(really clean!), plus steel prep stand tables. No cell service for me here, but I think some other campers had service with a different carrier. Definitely do the hike to the falls to save yourself a parking fee($5), or be sure to take your Interagency National Parks card and the parking fee will be waived. Not far away is the Bear Gulch hike, which is very pretty, but you will likely have to share the trail with mountain bikers and dirt bikers, so be prepared.

Great camping close to amazing waterfalls

Near the town of Duboise, this campground is up in the Shoshone National Forest. The views of the mountains are beautiful. I was here in early June and there was still a lot of snow in the area as well as in the campground. This made it easier to pick a campsite as it was obvious which sites were water logged and which were dry. The best sites are#14-16, along the river. Even though it was early in the season, someone had come out and mown the grass for tents. I was very impressed by the fact that they had ATV parking on the outside edge of the campground and that there were signs stating ATVs were not allowed to be driven through the campground. The sites were large and private with nice separation between sites, each had steel picnic tables, prep tables, and fire rings. And, terrible as it is, I even had cell service here! While I did not check it out, there is a group campground less than a mile just down the road. I would definitely camp here again, although maybe try and hit it right between the disappearance of snow and the appearance of mosquitos.

Fly fishing outfitter and campground in one

In Swan Valley the name of the game is fly fishing. This small campground is also a fly fishing outfitter and shop. While l was just passing through and I am not a fisherwoman, it seemed to offer pretty good services if that is your thing. I pulled in after hours but fortunately the owner’s dog alerted her to my presence and she was willing to open the office to rent me a tent site for the evening. There are 3ish tent sites(one was being worked on), about a half dozen pull thru RV sites, and 3 or 4 cabins for rent. There is a central bathhouse with two full bathrooms in a trailer for everyone to share. The bathhouse rooms are electronically accessed with codes the host gives you on check in. They were really nice and clean, like bathrooms in a typical modern home, except that one had the water heater tank in it and both had space heaters on the floor to plug in(fire hazard??). The tent site I chose was at the back of the campground so I didn’t have much highway noise, and fell asleep to the sound of the nearby horses grazing. Next door on the other side is a municipal building that appears to be the home base for the sheriff. The view of the back of the office/fly shop is not very picturesque, with boats and atv’s and odds and ends laying about. There are nice trees providing shade, but there is no real privacy between sites, tents, or cabins. The grass was quite lush, so I am wondering when the sprinkler system comes on. This place works as a layover or for someone who will take advantage of the fly fishing services, but not much else.

Bring the water toys

Spacious dispersed camping on the edge of the Palisades Reservoir, but no amenities so come prepared! The road is a bit narrow and rutted, but those confident in their driving skills will be fine. There are so many options here!

There is a dirt “boat ramp”, but due to the amount of driftwood I would not recommend anything with a trailer until that’s cleaned up. Further down the road is a proper ramp if you need it, but we put our kayaks and floats right in there.

On a hot July weekend, this was a very popular spot. Not for those looking for peace and quiet in the campsite, but if you get in the water you can peacefully float around for hours, unless you kept your cellphone on! This area has pretty good service.

Despite previous reviews, I did not see toilets. There’s a few fire pits, the large one is a communal one of sorts. Bring a backup solution if fire cooking was your meal prep plan. Mosquitoes were definitely present also.

Beautiful!

A great view of the Tetons! A little windy but worth it!

Closest campground in the park to Jackson Hole

Closest campground to Jackson Hole Large campground with seven loops/372 sites plus a group site that is first-come, first available. Loops are divided according to type: tent only, RV with allowable generator use, electric with no generators allowed, non-electric, group. The electric sites are pricey ($40 with a senior pass) so we used one for just one night to charge up and switched to a non-electric for the second night. Sites vary in size; some shrubbery or trees provide separation between some sites but not all. Our site for the first night (D184) was a little confusing in that the picnic table was located quite a distance from our parking pad and behind what almost looks like another parking pad (but it is not paved and does not have a number). When we returned in the evening, we found two people parked in this area using our table. They wanted to set up a tent but we held our ground. We woke the next morning to another car parked there! Our next night was spent in site D232, with a view of the mountains. Flush toilets with no showers as you would expect in a national park.  There is a dump station and everything is recycled, including propane canisters, a welcome change after not seeing any recycling in Idaho. Very pleasant and helpful staff at check-in. They even showed us a photo of a carving made in a tree in our site. Obviously, they were not condoning the defacing of a tree but since it was there, it was nice they let us know about it as we never would have thought to look for it. This is the closest campground to Mormon village and to the town of Jackson Hole.

Simple primitive roadside campground

Your basic sites with fire ring and picnic table, pit toilets, and dumpster. Only con is it’s close to the road so you can hear traffic going by but otherwise it’s a simple $10/night pull in site.

Great area

Not to far from yellowstone lake , on lake lewis it is in the middle of the national park so you can get anywhere

Not motorcycle friendly

All of the tent sites are not “accessible” by motorcycle, meaning they won’t allow you to try. We were on adventure bikes and were forced to camp in a small group site that I can only describe as a dirt corral. The prices were also ridiculous, however they had free showers and we were tired. Tent sites were $50-$65 and the rustic cabins started at $140. The tent sites are along the river, so there is deep sand and gravel. I would not stay again.

Worth The Drive Up

Located in National Elk Refuge. Free / Dispersed camping. This place was phenomenal. We thoroughly enjoyed camping at Curtis Canyon. You will definitely need a 4x4 or SUV capable of making the trek up towards the top for the more remote locations. You should definitely go before sunset to become familiar with the drive up. The view of the Tetons is amazing from here. Jackson Hole… we will be back.

We visited late July 2018.

Amazing Location

If you’re looking to be in the heart of the Tetons with water access at your finger tips, this is the campground for you. Spots fill up quick (get there before noon if you can) but if you can snag a tent site close to the lake trail you are just a couple minutes from the Teton mountain range for every sunset.

Dogs are also welcome!

It’s worth the view

This is all about the view. It’s a few miles outside of Grand Tetons, Moran Entrance. (East side) And it is a little pricey. But it has a great view. There are a lot of sites, including tent sites. They are not packed as close as some parks, so there is some grass between everyone. The sites have fire rings and picnic tables. There is a small store with basic needs, plus a bar. There is also a gas station, but prices are 60c/gal. higher than inside the park! There is WiFi, but because there are so many people using it, it’s next to worthless.

🙌🏼

The BEST place to camp in the Tetons! 4wd/awd recommended to get to the higher, better spots. Campsites are dispersed so there’s plenty of privacy. And it’s FREE!

Rewarding hike in the backcountry

I experienced my first night in the backcountry at Leigh Lake and can't wait to go back there soon. The hike was relatively flat with great views along the way of String Lake, Leigh Lake and Mt. Moran. One side of the site is completely open to Leigh Lake and around the corner is the peak of Mt. Moran while the other side of the site is a dense forest filled with trees. We spotted elk walking through the trees in the morning while relaxing on the beach waiting for the sun to come up. There is plenty of space so loading up a kayak would be ideal. We packed and hiked to the site so had limited space but there is plenty of room to spread out on a nice tent site and beach if you're able to kayak across the lake.