Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, CALIFORNIA
Camping California Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Most Recent Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Camping Reviews
Perfect Family Campground

Walking Distance with kids to Lake Shaver, which offers Fishing, swimming and Boating. Very organized and clean, the campgrounds are spread out, private and most have shade.

We will be back!

Great Spot!

This site was awesome! My boyfriend and I stopped up here several times passing through. It’s a fantastic stop! The park is well maintained and is always problem free. I’ve never had problems with other spots, bathrooms, or even finding a spot. The view waking up is AMAZING and the sunset cresting the Eastern Sierra is always the best! 10/10 recommend!

Beautiful, filled with trees, ladybugs, and cows!

This was a great little find tucked close to Kings Canyon and separated only be a crazy, winding backroad.  The host is very helpful and kind.  There is a field with cows.  COWS!  Mountain cows if you ask me.  There were a ton of ladybugs but the feeling of seclusion was great.  There are some awesome sites right on the stream but I didn't write down their numbers.  We had a great time!

Wrong location so make sure you don’t pay ahead to realize you can’t stay there

Just doing this as a warning for others using this app, this is not the real location for the campsite it brings you to a random oark you can’t sleep at which is 6 hours away from the actual site

Camping among the giants

Ten mile campground was an incredible place to camp among the giants sequoia trees! There was a creek running behind our campground which was an easy (less than 10 minute) walk that had a natural rock slide into the water… perfect to cool off in. Fishing at Hume lake was relaxing. We drove to the visitor’s center for tips on the best hikes and they were very helpful. Definitely will go back!

Well kept but in residential area

1. Campsites are very small

2. Water available at all tent campsites

3. Showers and bathrooms were clean

4.  Near highway in residential area

5. Almost no shade

6. Nice pool area

Nice play to stay

We stayed here for a week over the 4th of July. We planned on spending most of that week in the Sequoias and King’s Canyon, a little disappointing to find that it is quite a drive to get to the parks. The name is deceiving but our bad for not researching more before booking. The pool was nice and we had no issues with the camp site or the hookups. Probably wouldn’t come back to this KOA unless we were just passing through and needed a place to stay.

Ranger Review: Eclipse Adjustable Neck Gaiter @ Lone Pine CG (CA)

Campground Review:

This campground lies about 10 miles to the west of its namesake town, Lone Pine in the Owens Valley to the east of the Sierra Nevada range.  It is a very popular campground to use as a base camp for climbing Mt. Whitney especially if the Whitney Portal CG is full. which was the case when we were there.  If you can't get a reservation or walk in site at Lone Pine CG, then Tuttle Creek, and the Alabama Hills would be your closest places to camp if you're not planning on climbing Mt. Whitney.

Now on to the actual campground!  Now since this is a few miles from the actual trail head to Mt. Whitney it has more RV camping sites than tent sites.  Campsite range in price from $25-$65 for single tent sites, RV sites, and 1 group site, respectively.  Each campground has a large bear proof box to store all of your food and  smelly items in addition to a picnic table and a metal fire ring.  The campground had potable water spigots and vault toilets spread throughout.  You could also purchase firewood from the camp host, which is recommended due to the possibility of spreading pests.

To list all of the activities you can do in this area would take a book so I'm just gonna touch on some of the things we did!  Our main goal for the trip was to try and summit Mt. Whitney by the Mountaineers Route.  We got pushed back however due to hard route finding and soft avalanche prone snow.  We ended going around 10 miles but the regular hiking trail is 13 miles one way!  After getting beaten down by the mountain we were able to eat some great food at the Mt. Whitney Restaurant which had Americana and diner food.

Since we stayed at this campground in the middle of June the temperatures weren't too hot but I would really try to camp higher up at the portal if you plan on coming here in July or August as it could be really hot and there wasn't a ton of shade.  Also be doubly sure to book your campground ahead of time as I doubt there will be any sites if you show up after 3 or 4 without a reservation.

Product Review:

Being a Ranger for the Dyrt allows us to test and review gear from time to time!  This time we were testing out the Adjustable Neck Gaiter from Eclipse sun protection.  This was honestly one of my favorite pieces of gear I've been able to test for the Dyrt!

Pros:

• Simple design that replaces $100's of sunscreen in it's lifetime! (never washes out)
  • Is multi functional and can be used as a gaiter, headband, buff, and so much more!
  • Super lightweight and doesn't need to be reapplied or leave you greasy
  • It is super cheap and includes a Velcro strap to adjust to smaller neck

Cons:

• The only flaw I could find was the sewing along the neck was a little weak and I ripped it slightly before realizing I needed to be a little more delicate pulling it on

Other than that one con I would say this is an amazing product that helps keep you from spending 100's on a temporary sunblock and helps keep all those nasty chemicals out of nature, the waterways, and the oceans!  I definitely think we'll be trying out the sleeves for fishing as my fiances arms can get pretty burnt sometimes.

Secluded group site

Shady campsite for up to 50 people. Fire pit and pit toilets. Very small stream nearby. Scenic. Was not able to use tap water due to bacterial contamination.

Camp site #56

Camp sites are at the furthest 3 minute walk to the water. Flushing toilets and sinks to wash hands. Plenty of water faucets located around the camp ground for non drinking water (although I was told by a campground employee the water was tested monthly by the county and was super clean and great for drinking water).

Great little campground

Spent a very enjoyable 3 days at Belknap. Our site was between a creek and the river so we listened to water the whole time. So relaxing! Nice trails to explore. Husband caught a nice trout. There’s a decent swimming hole. Vault toilets. A few water spigots scattered throughout the campground. Camp host Dan keeps everything clean and is really nice too. My only negative is that there are no bear boxes. There was a bear in the campground our last night there. So put your food away at night.

Welcoming.

Great sites for small RV’s or tent camping. Very funny and welcoming camp host David Mac. Would recommend this camp to anyone looking to get away from the crowds you’ll find further north in the eastern sierras.

First come first serve.

Gorgeous & peacful

Had a plot right next to the river. The water was so soothing and the trees helped keep the camp fairly cool until the sun peaked through around ten. The bridge by the river brings you right to a trail, and it’s just a mile down the road from the start of the Big Pine lakes trail. Also, the grounds keeper on the site keeps the bathrooms cleaner than I’ve ever seen at a camp sight.

Great campground

The sites close to the creek are private and wonderful. Mostly tent only by creek however. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

Buggy but beautiful

There are pull in sites and walk in sites. All pull in sites seem to be surround by low growing shrubs and they have so many mosquitoes. The walk in site are under the conifers and are gorgeous. Waterfalls, tall peaks surround the campground

Army Corps of Engineers campground on a lake

Note: The average daytime temperature while I was here was 101 degrees(high 104), and this will no doubt color my review.

I stayed here three nights in a 34 foot travel trailer in site 1 in late July. Sites vary in length, there were only a few that would have fit our rig. Some are only parking spaces that lead to tent platforms. Very few sites are level and some so steep that leveling is not possible. All sites have water and electric hookups, and these were very reliable. Our site also had sewage because we were in a host site(yay us!). Speaking of the hosts, they were awesome.  The bathrooms and showers were clean.

The lake is pretty, but it was so high that boat ramps were closed and the picnic area (including the pit toliets) were completely underwater- so no swimming for us. Despite all this, the place was packed on the weekends. I would give it another chance, but not in late July. :)

Beautiful Quiet Lake

We reserved 2 group sites ,20 & 24 for one weekend. We had six families staying between the two sites. We fit 3 tents (2 large, 1 medium and 1 single person tent) in site 20 and there was no more room to fit a 4th tent without being to close to the campfire. We fit 3 large tents in site 24 and if you squeezed the tents closer together you could have fit a 4th.

There was a lot of shade in site 24, and a good amount in site 20.

Overall the campgrounds are very clean and the campgrounds are very quiet. They are walking distance to the horse stables.

scenic and close to hiking trails, the visitor center, and market

This campground is definitely worth all 5 stars! The location is unbeatable, and the views are to die for. We stayed at site 144, which is right along the river! The river was high and boasting, which made great white noise for sleeping, as well as drowning out the sounds of other nearby campers - it gave us lots of privacy! While the campsites are sort of close to one another, we couldn't hear a thing they were saying, and we could have our music on without worrying about it disturbing our neighbors. Lots of places to hang a hammock if you are into lounging. There are a few hikes straight out of the campground if you don't want to travel far to get your adventure on, yet there is also a Shuttle stop right at the campground, which means you don't have to fight the crowds for a parking spot and can leave your car right at your campsite. Sequoia Nat'l park is pretty large, so having the market and visitor center within walking distance is also an added bonus. I recommend booking in advance, but if you aren't luucky enough to get a spot right away, keep watching the website! We actually kept daily tabs on in and were able to find a spot only a few months before, simply by watching for cancellations. Weather is great - only in the high 70's/low 80's for our July trip, and not too chilly at night - mid 50's to high 40's. The vast number of trees also provide shade at every camp site! This is much more comfortable than some of the other campgrounds that are lower in elevation in the area, which have much higher temperatures and amounts of sun exposure. I hope you get the chance to stay at Lodgepole! Strongly recommend the Alta Peak Trail high for experienced hikers, and the Commerce Trail for an easy high around lots of Sequoias (with less traffic than the General Sherman tree area). Happy exploring! :)

Wonderful campground

We stayed here a couple years ago. Had a wonderful time. There are several short hikes very close by as well as walking distance to the sequoia shuttle that can take you almost anywhere in the park for free. Plus the river goes through the middle of the campground so swimming is available. It’s a short walk to showers, market and a visitors center. Must make reservations 6 months in advance.

Great little campground

This is a wonderful campground I’m late fall to mid spring. Too hot in the summer. This is a very small campground and has several trail heads from it. It’s in sequoia national park but low in elevation, ~1500’. It’s pretty secluded and quite the times I’ve been there.

A descent campground

A good campground from late fall to mid spring. In the summer this campground gets flooded from the rising lake waters of lake kaweah, which is fine because it is blazing hot in the summer.

Beautiful camp ground

I’ve been up into the mineral king valley several times but only once stayed at this campground. It is truest beautiful. It is quite a drive as other reviews have said and extremely windy. Once you turn off SR-198 in Three Rivers it will take an hour to get to the campground, it’s only 23 miles. The sites are only $12 a night.

Amazing and free!

Great place for a wide range of activities including rock climbing, hiking around mt Whitney or exploring the mind blowing rock formations. Drive up and pitch a tent and you’re set! It’s very quiet and peaceful, also an amazing view of the stars! Beautiful sunrise and sunset as well. Will definitely go back! (BLM land so carry out what you take in, including waste!)

Great spot for the night before Whitney

This campground is well maintained, there's a store that sells everything you could want, including alcohol. The high elevation makes it a great place to spend the night before hiking Mt. Whitney to get acclimated. There's a waterfall only a couple hundred meters from the sites. Even if you don't have Whitney permits, the hike up to Lone Pine Lake is stunning, just be prepared for snow well into June!

BLM camping at it's finest

One of my all time favorite places to camp in fall and spring. Not too hot, not too cold. Absolutely stunning views. Seriously. Unbelievable views of the Eastern Sierra's from almost anywhere. There are a ton of sites so drive around until you find one you like. Lots of premade fire pits to use. Sites are pretty spread out so you won't really see/hear your neighbors. Roads are flat and my small sedan had no problem navigating.

Beautiful, peaceful

This is a great campground! Lots of cool hikes nearby, including waterfalls and the Kearsarge Pass. The views are unreal. It gets cold at night so make sure you come prepared. I've been trying to convince my friends to come with me forever but they don't believe me when I tell them it's worth the drive.

Unbelievable views

Clean, family owned

Old school campground with a mountain feel. Small general store and fishing pond. Sites are very close together, not a whole lot of trees. Out and about fishing all day so didn’t spend too much time at the campground. You can tell this was around before the huge RVs that are out there today. Very clean, creek runs right along campground.

Small but comfy

Cute and comfy campground, no camp host, so if you need firewood it’s kind of a bummer. But it’s peaceful listening to the rushing creek! Been here twice now and definitely will be back!

Nice Campground

Owned and operated by a family. Great customer service and always willing to help! Over 44 campsites between RV and tent sites. Very small and close together. FHU, quiet and close to Towns of Murphy for wine tasting and dining, Columbia, Angels Camp and other State Parks for camping. Paid showers $.25, pool and event center to rent.