Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, CALIFORNIA

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Camping Reviews
Gorgeous, by the river, quiet.

I've camped here many times and every single time it's a great experience. There are clean restrooms, the campsites are good, and the bear boxes are large. It's only a short walk to the river and a slightly longer walk to the ranger's station and then to the lodge where there is a general store and even a place to get a burger, hot dog, or slice of pizza. Always see a lot of bears up here so be smart.

Unreal

We got a permit and camped here. Coldest night ive camped in a long time. The lake froze over but it was beautiful

Next to a small creek and secluded.

We stopped here after we found that all the sites along the Kern were full. It is just North of Johnsondale and just South of the National Forest. Easy driving access to Trail of a Thousand Giants, Moro Rock, and views of the Needles.

We camped out under the stars just after sundown and got up right after Sunrise. No one else camp out near our spot. The road is littered with turn offs for easy and free dispersed camping.

Closest bathrooms are either on the Trail of a Hundred Giants (there is a campground there too but it is closed in Winter) or down in Johnsondale.

One of my Favorite Backcountry Overnights

If you are looking for a challenging hike, beautiful views, and complete seclusion…this is it.

The landscape is rocky so you will need to be careful when setting up your tents and also be aware of any fire dangers or restrictions in the area. But there is a nearby stream for water replenishment and and easy hike down to Jennie Lake or Rowell Meadow.

Lots of open space for star gazing at night. You will need a permit for an overnight here but camping itself is free.

Backcountry Perfection

Jennie Lake is part of the Jennie Lakes Wilderness area between Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park. You will start at either Rowell Meadow or Big Meadow trailheads. Along the trail you can camp at Weaver Lake, Jennie Lake, Jo Pass, or Rowell Meadow.

You will need to gain a backcountry permit to do this trail and make sure you know of updated water sources and filtration systems.

It's about a 7-14 mile trek depending on which way you decide to go. Poop out pass is no joke.

Good winter option

We decided to come in the off season in February and we got lucky with weather. Low tonight is only supposed to be in the upper 30s. Very quiet but some sledding and hiking activity close by. Sites are a little close to each other, but being so quiet it's not a big deal. One bathroom is still open and the general store and restaurant are right around the corner. Plus, only $10 a night!

High Sierra Magnificence

Right next to the lake. It is a busy campground for how far away from town it is, but totally worth being that close to the back country. Love it!

Unless you can't go any further pass this one up

Extremely small campground (5 sites I believe) which I normally like but this campground just had no positives.

Pit toilets were in horrible shape, so as always carry along your own TP and hand sanitizer.

Sites were a complete mess when I drove through.  Garbage was all over the ground, fire rings were filled with junk and trash.

Ground was extremely hard but there were quite a few trees for shade.

The river, well I walked around a bit and explored and I could not hear nor see the river.

No water so if camping here be sure to carry along plenty

Prepare for one hell of a drive, but it is WORTH it!

If you read a few of the other reviews there is mention of the road getting to Mono Hot Springs.  You can't describe enough what a crazy road it is.  Do not take the warnings lightly.  Your first drive down this road will leave you white knuckled.  But so worth it!

I was taking a fly fishing trip in the morning and figured I would camp the night.  All campsites were taken.  But there are tons of other sites that you can just set up camp.  Basically pull off any area and set up camp.

I ended up sharing a campsite with a couple adventure riders for the first night and second night set up camp with the fly fishing guide just off to the side of the main campground.

In the campground each site had a fire ring, cooking area and bear box.

The camp host was amazing and so sweet!  She even gave me some tips on where to fish.

Pit toilets but super clean and no stink at all.  Again the camp host does an amazing job.

They also offer cabins, an amazing restaurant, a little country type store and a spa type area, or so I am told I did not check that out.

There are a couple hot springs you can walk to, again I did not check those out.

I was there for fishing.

The river runs right close to the campsites and it is amazing fishing, I was told that it gets stocked often.

But the real gem is taking a drive around the roads around the area and finding more hidden fishing spots.

Good for a layover, wouldn't spend a lot of time here

There was nothing really wrong with the campground, and it's fine for a night stay or two but I can't see spending a ton of time here.

I managed to grab site 9 and I guess I just got lucky.  The campground was packed and people were rolling in fast.

Lots of BIG campers and a fair number of tent campers.

Even with a packed campground the site I had was quiet.  Must have been because it was up on a hill.

Sites have picnic tables, fire rings and bear boxes.

Running water, flush toilets and water to refill your bottles or what have you.

There is a river that is easy enough to walk to.  I didn't have time to fish but it did look pretty promising.  There is a site you basically have to walk through to get to the river.  Nice large site.

The deer are all over and not easily spooked.