Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks

Most Recent Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Camping Reviews
Awesome place to be

This place is a dispersed area, there are plenty of spots to choose from and all have a great view of the creek. Nights are awesome sleeping through the creek. There is small trout but not big enough to catch. But it is nice to see. Also if you hike across you will come across a small water slide/ waterfall. It is so beautiful also some monuments on a rock. This place is free on a first come first serve basis. It gets pretty crowded in the summer.

** At the moment it is closed because many people trash out this place. Read the sign that is posted in the beginning of entering this road. ** johnsondale has a market which is a store right before entering this road.

Nice Location but...

I've been to BPC twice and both times I went alone.  Some of the sites are usually available and you'll know why when you get there.  They are shadeless, small or not level.  Other sites are okay but to me, it seems to lack privacy.  For example, I had site 25 and although other sites were not visible, I could definitely hear voices from other nearby sites hidden by the plants and at other prime sites, you can see other sites in plain view.  It's not a show stopper, because I've met some really nice folks there.  I met a couple there and the man, Tim was really nice.  When he left, he wanted to give me his leftover firewood and I said he could give it to someone else, but he said no and that he wanted me to have it.  How nice is that?   What I use this campground for is car camping the eastern Sierras and mixing in some backpacking.  Setting  up my car camping stuff,  leaving it at camp and then wandering off for a night  with a permit works out very well as I can return for another night knowing I have a few cold brews waiting for me.

One of my favorite places!

Wow, nothing bad to say about this site! Next to the lake and some great trails, an easy car ride to everything else. This was my first time in the Sequoia’s and we stayed for 4 days in mid-July. The weather was perfect! I can’t remember it being too buggy even being so close to water.

Nice Park, Well Kept Could use some updates

Nice park, well kept, friendly staff. As you will see from the photos this is an old KOA. RV spaces are all pull through, and spaced well and are pretty level. Electrical is updated and spaces have okay water pressure. Has laundry and pool as well

Restrooms and showers are clean but need updating.

There is no cable tv hook ups and Wifi is available but it’s really worthless can’t connect once you are away from the office. Verizon Wireless is 2 bars of LTE works okay….

Lots of great tent spots with shade, water and 110v outlets

It appears that they are trying to make this a nicer place. (Note: my 3 star rating is for lack of cable and wifi) Which should have for $50 a night. Otherwise, I would give 5 stars. Would stay again though…..

Excellent

From Facebook review on Feb 26, 2020 by George K.“The best thing about Sequoia RV Park is the couple who manage it. Luz and Carlos are just a pleasure to be around- they are super helpful and always ready to chat or give advice or recommendations. Add to this the full range of services, easily accessible and level sites, an onsite laundry and showers, free WiFi and FREE firewood, then you have a good picture of what awaits you. We only spent one night, but they will definitely see us again. So, if you're looking for the closest RV/tent sites to King's Canyon and Sequoia National Park and a great deal on wonderful accommodation, look no further than Sequoia RV Park”

Awesome camp

I enjoy coming here, I have been coming here for couple of years now. Hiking is awesome. There is a creek right behind your camp and it’s so nice hearing it at night. You get to see lots of wildlife; owls, squirrels, foxes, coyotes, bears and lots of footprints of small game. Unfortunately at the moment it is closed and many campgrounds bear are closed due to people leaving so much trash behind. Not sure when they will be opening again but it’s been a year since they have been closed.

This is a great place for hunting. Here are some photos of my hunting experience.

Great Basecamp, so many activities!

I love Rancheria campground! It is a great place to stay for a week or longer and go explore all the surrounding area has to offer! There is already so much to do at the lake as well but the other lakes and hikes in the area are some of my favorite! It is also a great place for fishing. The campground is on the opposite side of the lake from the marina and store and cabins. Making it a little quieter and more peaceful, I prefer to try and get a site that is not as close to the lake sometimes as there is less foot traffic past your site then. No matter where your site is ots not far to the lake, it is nice to have bikes as the roads through the campground are well maintained. There are vault tiolets and some flush tiolets, water and bear boxes. Also firepits and tables. Summer time is very busy and extremely busy on the weekends but there is so much space that you can get away from others if you want or go to the marina side and rent kayaks and boats. Very clean, very safe, lots of families. Near mono hot springs! Definitely recommend giving it a try if you like camping with a little more amenities.

Beautiful and quiet and OUT THERE.

I agree the road out is pretty scary I don't advise trailers but I have seen them while driving in. It is one lane and you must pull out for opposing traffic. But definitely one of my most favorite places in the Sierras. The views are amazing, I recommend giving yourself extra time to stop and get out for the views a few times on the way in.

Once in the campground/resort area there are two separate loops to camp in as well as cabins to rent and a small dispersed camping area there is also a general store, bath house, and small Cafe that are all seasonal since the road is closed most of the year. So open and close dates vary depending on snow. You can get firewood, drinking water at the store but it can be a little pricey, so I recommend bringing your own. The baths/showers are usually included for anyone paying for a campsite, but this may have changed. It is very cheap for day use persons to use the showers though. The sites are all very nice and surprisingly private though some are pretty close together. All provide a firepit, table, bear box, and parking space. I love that there are bear boxes at such a remote place! There are vault tiolets and dumpsters for trash. The river runs along one side of the campsites so about half of the sites are on the river. Bring extra bugspray for these sites as you are close to the water.

Most important if you made it this far reading 😅😂 there are multiple NATURAL HOT SPRINGS!! There are several different pools located across the river from the campgrounds. They are all over the hillside and range in temperature from lukewarm to bath water to Hot. They also pump the natural mineral water to the bathhouse for the showers! The springs are the main reason to come out and camp. There are also tons of hiking trails and other lakes in the area including 2 thermal lakes and tons of breathtaking views. I highly recommend this place. 🏞🏕

Also: I have not personally stayed in the cabins or dispersed camping area only the paid sites along the river, but I have been here several times and have seen them. There is also a corral area for horses so I'm not sure if that qualifies it as an equestrian camp but there is a spot for the horses.

Favorite Car Camping Spot in Mid-May

This is a very popular campsite, so it fills up quick, and gets crowded. But if you go in early/mid May, before the weather shapes up, you can have the feeling of having the whole lake to yourself. Just be ready for some cold nights!

Oasis along 395, decent overnight stop

Keough Hot Springs is a private campground located outside of Bishop.  The campsites are under cottonwood trees or on a dirt hill next to the pool and hot spring facility. There are flush toilets and showers.  It’s not a great camping experience, but making use of the spring fed pool and hot springs makes it worthwhile.  The hours are not great if you’re looking for an early morning or late evening soak.  The springs and pool are closed one day a week so be sure to check before you arrive if you want to take advantage of them.  The facilities are really dated and haven’t been kept up, but if you are on a road trip along 395 and want a place to stop and soak it’s worth a stop.  There is a desert garden walk and an old dilapidated building of the original hot spring site.  The pool area doesn’t open until 11 so we rode our bikes down the dirt road, looked for the overhead electrical lines and found some open hot springs.  We had the place to ourselves and it was deep enough to sit in and get a good warm soak.