Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Most Recent Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Camping Reviews
SO MANY BONUS ACTIVITIES!!

BEACH CAMPING!! It is awesome! Bring ear plugs because it is a popular campground.

The store has everything you might need while out camping and it is literally across the street from a beautiful beach!

This is a LARGE campground and can accommodate all types of campers. There are even tiny houses and cabins for those less willing to lose the comforts of home.

The RV sites are right on top of each other in the entrance but they open up in the back field(we weren’t able to get back in there since we were just tent campers).

They are high on security here. I LOVED the list of activities that were happening around the area. It really helped you get involved with the local ecology.

There is a big gazebo for fish cleaning. Laundry room and propane for sale.

Great pre-hike spot

Stayed here before our hike to Whitney. Great spot to get acclimated. Next time, I would try to stay here at least 2 days before the hike. I booked the site a week before but in the midst of the season, I’d probably book weeks, if not months in advance for prime availability. Was here the last weekend of September and it was COLD. Great site, friendly camp host, vault toilets, not service for t-mobile but Verizon has some signal. There’s a store for last minute items you might have forgotten. My brother and I hiked the next morning and summited Mt. Whitney. Would definitely stay here again!

Whitney views for days

Stayed here a few days before hiking Whitney. Great place to acclimate, second to Whitney portal campground. We camped at one of the walk-in sites. Enough space for the 4 of us, 2 tents, and the family pup. The parking spots are only 50 yds away and next to the restrooms. The campground sits in a ravine like space so if the winds pick up it can whip through pretty good. Good trail that connects to Whitney portal on the ridge above, good for the dogs to run on as well. No cell service besides the top of the ridge if you need to call/text. I’ve been coming to the Sierra’s all my life but never stayed here. I’d come back for the views alone.

I definitely need to go here again!

This place is awesome! Everyone there was very nice and I made some good memories. There are lots of places to hike and explore around there. My favorite part was getting to see the horses running in the field next to where I camped.

Sierra Hideaway

This campground is for those that love being deep in the woods and away from people. There is a one lane road in and out, no camp host, with no service or available restrooms for those looking for a campground with those amenities. Sites are small and very woodsy (some nestled within the mountain rocks) but have plenty of distance and privacy between other sites. No one was here when we arrived, so it is a rather desolate place in the Fall/Winter season but I imagine in Summer it’s a perfectly shady campground to stay cool. My favorite site was by the creek, it was roomy with access to a beautiful meadow, views of surrounding mountains, and a creek running through it. For those that love fishing this was a trout hot spot, so many fish in this area and wasn’t crowded like many of the surrounding fishing areas.

A Perfect Getaway

Sabrina Campground is the closest to Lake Sabrina without the feel of tourism. This campground is just off the main road and quaint. It is moments away from Lake Sabrina, North Lake, a short drive to South Lake, and about 15-20mins to the closest city Bishop. This campground is so beautiful, perfectly situated next to a creek, and saturated with Aspen trees that are a beauty to see in the Fall season. Every campsite is well maintained, restrooms are kept tidy, and the trash dumping area is well taken care of. Campsites are all first come, first serve. $28 a night for sites and available firewood for purchase with the campground host. There is no store at this campground, so all necessities should be purchased before arriving. This is the perfect getaway for those that love clean mountain air, lake views, waterfalls, fishing, mountain hikes to glacier lakes, and relaxation. With absolutely no cell service it’s just you and nature. It is the perfect getaway.

A Favorite

For just $8 a night you can enjoy the Eastern Sierras with plenty of room to spare between you and your camping neighbors. This place is a favorite for us, with fishing, snow capped mountains, and the cutest little kangaroo mice I have ever seen! It’s a fun get away and recommended for friends and family. No service here, no store or place to buy firewood at the campground but you’re a stones throw away from Lone Pine a Western town nearby for fishing, food and any other camping needs. Restrooms are available here and are kept clean, just bring a flashlight at night as it is pitch black. In the Summer this place can get pretty toasty and the sun is incredibly strong, I’d recommend taking a canopy with your camping supplies, with little to no trees for shade in this area.

Milky Way and Rocks

Alabama Hills is a popular area to see the beauty of natural rock formations. This is BLM land so there's no campground amenities.  However you can camp here for free in many dispersed locations.  Just look around and look for spots that you can park and camp at. There are plenty of sites back into the rocks. There's cell service where the main road starts but not much after that. This is a great place to view the Milky Way and watch the sunrise. This is a great place to go rock climbing.

Convenient and Simple

Portagee Joe is a small campground with round 20 camping spots. It's located 1 mile from Lone Pine on Mt Wilson Portal Rd. It's a good little campground if you are traveling thru or need a easy place to stay while exploring Mt. Whitney or the Alabama Hills. It cost $14 per night + $5 extra vehicle.  There's a pretty little stream that splits the campground that gives off soothing sounds. There's two restrooms and water.

Since it's only 1 mile from lone pine there are plenty of restaurant to choose from for lunch and dinner. Lone Pine Pizza is really good.

Good campsite

The campsite is pretty far back, but still on the road. The sites are a good size and there was a bathroom near our's (#25). There is no running water in the camp so be prepared to bring water with you for washing dishes, drinking and general cleanliness. There is a small creek that runs through the site, so be sure to bring bug spray for all the mosquitos. The site was enjoyable, but you will hear cars and campers driving past you to other sites, so I docked one star. Also, the stars are great out there.

Good stargazing & fishing

A nice campsite by the meadows with some rocky open spaces to lie and look at the stars. The campsite is laid out so each spot has good space, it's not too crowded. Dog friendly and allows RV's, but I don't remember seeing power hook-ups. No water on site. No showers either. Neither was a problem as we prefer the more rustic camping, but it's good to know for those that need them.

The nearby streams are good for trout fishing in the spring and early summer. There's some good hikes nearby too, to Weaver Lake and Buck Rock watchtower.

Overall a good site, I docked one star for the lack of water. It made cleaning and cooking difficult the first night, but we just bought a bunch the next day so be prepared.

Mind blowing!

The campsites were clean and very well maintained. The staff was also friendly. I can’t wait to go back.

The views

Fabulous views of the rounded monolithic boulders fronting the Eastern Sierra. This is a large dispersed camping area with no facilities. Just the beauty and silence of the nature. The area was used, and still occasionally is, for the movie industry. You can even see the occasional jet fighter training here. Go see the Movie Museum in Lone Pine it’s worth it. The Reward Mine is near here and don’t forget to spend some time at Manzanar Japanese Internment Camp. We stayed here in May

Perfect for tent camping with a dog

There are better spots than some at this campground, but get in early and pitch your tent.  We settled in a far corner and it was perfect.  Kept our dog on a tether and the ranger was pleasant and very helpful.  I'd give it six stars if possible!

We love this place

Been going here since I was a kid now I take my kids up here too always a fun time

Amazing place to go with the Family

First of all this place is awesome. You can set up your tent in different locations around the camp. I usually set up mine in front of the creek. I love hearing the creek at night. This place always has people and RVs so I recommend coming during the week early morning to find a spot. Especially during hunting season it is always packed. If you hike across the street you will come across a small water slide and some monumental rocks with lots of history.

Beautiful!

Huge campsites, ours was right on the river. Gorgeous place! Surrounded by trees and wildflowers. The bathrooms were well maintained. Friendly staff.

Beach camping, friendly staff, awesome secluded tent sites.

I was lucky enough to spend four nights here last winter. It was breezy and rained on and off. The walk in sites are secluded and this park has all the amenities including free showers. Dog friendly. I hear it gets very busy in the summertime. There are a few year round residents, and it’s fun to stroll through the RV section of the park, but also fun to go back into the trees and get away from it all.

Perfect Family Campground

Walking Distance with kids to Lake Shaver, which offers Fishing, swimming and Boating. Very organized and clean, the campgrounds are spread out, private and most have shade.

We will be back!

Great Spot!

This site was awesome! My boyfriend and I stopped up here several times passing through. It’s a fantastic stop! The park is well maintained and is always problem free. I’ve never had problems with other spots, bathrooms, or even finding a spot. The view waking up is AMAZING and the sunset cresting the Eastern Sierra is always the best! 10/10 recommend!

Beautiful, filled with trees, ladybugs, and cows!

This was a great little find tucked close to Kings Canyon and separated only be a crazy, winding backroad.  The host is very helpful and kind.  There is a field with cows.  COWS!  Mountain cows if you ask me.  There were a ton of ladybugs but the feeling of seclusion was great.  There are some awesome sites right on the stream but I didn't write down their numbers.  We had a great time!

Wrong location so make sure you don’t pay ahead to realize you can’t stay there

Just doing this as a warning for others using this app, this is not the real location for the campsite it brings you to a random oark you can’t sleep at which is 6 hours away from the actual site

Camping among the giants

Ten mile campground was an incredible place to camp among the giants sequoia trees! There was a creek running behind our campground which was an easy (less than 10 minute) walk that had a natural rock slide into the water… perfect to cool off in. Fishing at Hume lake was relaxing. We drove to the visitor’s center for tips on the best hikes and they were very helpful. Definitely will go back!

Well kept but in residential area

1. Campsites are very small

2. Water available at all tent campsites

3. Showers and bathrooms were clean

4.  Near highway in residential area

5. Almost no shade

6. Nice pool area

Nice play to stay

We stayed here for a week over the 4th of July. We planned on spending most of that week in the Sequoias and King’s Canyon, a little disappointing to find that it is quite a drive to get to the parks. The name is deceiving but our bad for not researching more before booking. The pool was nice and we had no issues with the camp site or the hookups. Probably wouldn’t come back to this KOA unless we were just passing through and needed a place to stay.

Ranger Review: Eclipse Adjustable Neck Gaiter @ Lone Pine CG (CA)

Campground Review:

This campground lies about 10 miles to the west of its namesake town, Lone Pine in the Owens Valley to the east of the Sierra Nevada range.  It is a very popular campground to use as a base camp for climbing Mt. Whitney especially if the Whitney Portal CG is full. which was the case when we were there.  If you can't get a reservation or walk in site at Lone Pine CG, then Tuttle Creek, and the Alabama Hills would be your closest places to camp if you're not planning on climbing Mt. Whitney.

Now on to the actual campground!  Now since this is a few miles from the actual trail head to Mt. Whitney it has more RV camping sites than tent sites.  Campsite range in price from $25-$65 for single tent sites, RV sites, and 1 group site, respectively.  Each campground has a large bear proof box to store all of your food and  smelly items in addition to a picnic table and a metal fire ring.  The campground had potable water spigots and vault toilets spread throughout.  You could also purchase firewood from the camp host, which is recommended due to the possibility of spreading pests.

To list all of the activities you can do in this area would take a book so I'm just gonna touch on some of the things we did!  Our main goal for the trip was to try and summit Mt. Whitney by the Mountaineers Route.  We got pushed back however due to hard route finding and soft avalanche prone snow.  We ended going around 10 miles but the regular hiking trail is 13 miles one way!  After getting beaten down by the mountain we were able to eat some great food at the Mt. Whitney Restaurant which had Americana and diner food.

Since we stayed at this campground in the middle of June the temperatures weren't too hot but I would really try to camp higher up at the portal if you plan on coming here in July or August as it could be really hot and there wasn't a ton of shade.  Also be doubly sure to book your campground ahead of time as I doubt there will be any sites if you show up after 3 or 4 without a reservation.

Product Review:

Being a Ranger for the Dyrt allows us to test and review gear from time to time!  This time we were testing out the Adjustable Neck Gaiter from Eclipse sun protection.  This was honestly one of my favorite pieces of gear I've been able to test for the Dyrt!

Pros:

• Simple design that replaces $100's of sunscreen in it's lifetime! (never washes out)
  • Is multi functional and can be used as a gaiter, headband, buff, and so much more!
  • Super lightweight and doesn't need to be reapplied or leave you greasy
  • It is super cheap and includes a Velcro strap to adjust to smaller neck

Cons:

• The only flaw I could find was the sewing along the neck was a little weak and I ripped it slightly before realizing I needed to be a little more delicate pulling it on

Other than that one con I would say this is an amazing product that helps keep you from spending 100's on a temporary sunblock and helps keep all those nasty chemicals out of nature, the waterways, and the oceans!  I definitely think we'll be trying out the sleeves for fishing as my fiances arms can get pretty burnt sometimes.

Secluded group site

Shady campsite for up to 50 people. Fire pit and pit toilets. Very small stream nearby. Scenic. Was not able to use tap water due to bacterial contamination.

Camp site #56

Camp sites are at the furthest 3 minute walk to the water. Flushing toilets and sinks to wash hands. Plenty of water faucets located around the camp ground for non drinking water (although I was told by a campground employee the water was tested monthly by the county and was super clean and great for drinking water).

Great little campground

Spent a very enjoyable 3 days at Belknap. Our site was between a creek and the river so we listened to water the whole time. So relaxing! Nice trails to explore. Husband caught a nice trout. There’s a decent swimming hole. Vault toilets. A few water spigots scattered throughout the campground. Camp host Dan keeps everything clean and is really nice too. My only negative is that there are no bear boxes. There was a bear in the campground our last night there. So put your food away at night.

Welcoming.

Great sites for small RV’s or tent camping. Very funny and welcoming camp host David Mac. Would recommend this camp to anyone looking to get away from the crowds you’ll find further north in the eastern sierras.

First come first serve.