San Francisco, CALIFORNIA

Camping California San Francisco

Most Recent San Francisco Camping Reviews
Great place

Casini ranch is a great place to camp Friendly staff Clean bathrooms Great general store Very nice camp sites by the river

Most sacred

My second childhood home and one of the most sacred places I have had the blessings to be apart of, know my own children's second home. The campgrounds are amazing and a world unto themselves, so much so when Sunny Bell first brought my mom and I to Steep Ravine the cabins only cost $15 and we didn't even know there were campsites there for years! The wildlife is off the hook..I've seen deer in the seaside vernal pools, wild miniature ocean bunnies boxing in the morning sunshine, and a great white shark off the cliffs one fine day… This place is absolutely fabulous….and we didn't even get into the mermaid hot springs gracing the beaches during super low tides! Luv you mom! I know your up there at steep kickin it at the wine tree!

Boat in

Great site. Easy kayak in, clean sand. Very little light pollution, good times.

Good Stop in Sonoma County

This stop is pretty close to us, and has been a yearly trip. We really enjoy the rural feeling to the area -- no cell phone service for Verizon or T-mobile. If you are trailer or RVing, there are no hookups and no dump station on site. Generators can be run from 10 am to 8 pm. There is an observatory on site which is free to explore, when open. There are many great hiking trails, one of which goes to a seasonal waterfall. The hikes range from easy to difficult. There are campsites that run along the creek which are the preferred for us because of the opportunity to see wildlife at night and the kids love to play in the water. I am not sure what changes that have happened over the last few years, but there seems to be some full time campsites that made me and my family feel uncomfortable. I do really enjoy the campsite, but this may have been the last time we go due to these questionable site living situations. Dogs are allowed, but not on the hiking trails… They have newer restrooms with showers, but they are currently closed due to COVID. Each site has a port-a-potty that is cleaned after each camper checks out.

Best KOA we’ve stayed at

We stayed 3 days over Labor Day and were so impressed! They were full but everything was safe, clean and organized. Woody, the manager, was very helpful and accommodating! We had a beautiful site under shade trees and a grassy area ! Lovely time 🌲

Quiet, cleaned and decent camp sites.

Stayed couple of nights. Camp sites are decent in space. They have a late check in which is not ideal as the place is pretty dark at night but convenient as we had some road troubles. Wifi wasn’t as good but we got average phone reception. Camps come with a fire pit and with a double water faucet which is great when you need additional water to clean up. Overall good experience at this place.

Nice, private campground

All exposed, all flat. Easy access. Store has everything you need. Wood is 10 bucks a bundle. It’s private owned so fire rings are always ok. If you don’t want to cook there are 2 restaurants next door.

Hidden Gem

Theses are limited  (5) hike in tent sites.  Not far in - less than a mile.  You are on your own here. Bring your own water.  No fires. You get a picnic table and a food storage locker, nothing else.

Meadow sites against a row of trees. There is very little privacy between sites but the couple times I have been here it was not full.  It can get windy - there is some shelter under the tress.

Here you can strike out hiking through Tennessee Valley to the beach and beyond!

Great for a close get-a-way and seclusion.

Not Camping But A Must Visit

Here you can do an open water swim in the bay - walk thru a Maritime Museum shaped like a ship - have lunch on the grass - visit the street merchants and Ghiradelli Chocolate - and then walk on and thru historic ships including a ferry boat that used to serve the bay before the bridges, a lumber schooner, and many more.  A great day in San Francisco before you hit all the usual ttourist spots.

Great Group Site

The one issue I have with this group site is that it is not near the creek.  It is across the roadway and now next to the new cabins.

That being said it is a great site for groups and away from all the other campers so is quiet (other than the roadway noise) .

It has all the regular amenities - tables, fire pits, bathrooms etc

You can leave your site and immediately walk on to trails up to Taylor's Grave and Mt. Barnaby.  Also you connect from the site to some great mountain biking without every needing to go acroos the other side of camp.