Prince William Forest Park, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Prince William Forest Park Camping Reviews
Surrounded by nature

Oaka Ridge Campground is deep at "end" of Prince William Forest (13 miles from forest entrance gate).

There are three loops, front to back. Loop A are walkin only sites for RVs and tents. Loops B and C reservable. Loop B sites are for large families or groups. Loop C is more remote. Each loop has a bathroom building, Loop B is the only one with showers. There are no hookups in the campground, but drinking water is available near each bathhouse. Loop C had a working utility sink, the one in Loop B was closed. Not sure if A had one.

Free firewood is available behind the host's site.

We were in Loop C and could hear activity at Quantico. Lots of air noise too, from both airplanes and helicopters. We stayed 5 days, including a weekend. Saturday was the noisiest day with all the group camping activities.

Sites varied greatly in size. Some seemed entirely too close, others spread apart. At times, sites seemed backwards - I kept saying they should reverse the one way direction so back in sites were easier.

Ticks were really bad. We killed dozens and ended up taking at least one with us when we left.

The showers were hot, water pressure and shower heads good. Shower stalls offered more privacy than most, each having a locking door and small dressing area with a bench, and an adequate sized shower curtain, too.

Bathrooms could have been much cleaner.

Only because of the ticks, we would not stay here again. We had Deep Woods Off, but seemed to do no good.

Hiking Lovers Retreat

Oak Ridge is our favorite local go-to campground.  This site meets all of our expectations with exceptionally clean bathrooms to boot.  It a short jaunt away with miles of hiking trails.  The sites are generously sized, wooded and private.  If you're going with a group there are also sites that connect.  C Loop is the most private with several sites being walk-in.  B Loop is mostly shaded and also the only loop with showers (my preference).  A Loop is first to come, first served whereas Loops B and C are reservation only. Firewood is available but they do not provide much so I recommend bringing what you need if you plan on having a fire for more than one night.  There are a few trailheads accessible from the camping loops but many you'll need to drive to.  Parking is limited but I've never had trouble finding a spot.  If you want a quick getaway without driving hours outside of the metro area this is your place!

Secluded and comfortable

Overview: we really enjoyed this private farm campground. We stayed at site 1 of two sites. Per their policies each sure can accommodate 12 campers. The fire pit area and port-a-potty were both very clean and you can tell that they are taken care of well. You are able to drive right up to the camp area and we kept our car right next to our tent. There are nearby chickens, geese and pigs.

Host: our friends arrived prior to us and were greeted by the host. They said he was friendly and explained everything well and even had firewood already set up at the store that has been purchased by the previous campers. I thought this was incredibly nice considering they didn't have to leave the wood there for us.

Site: the sites are both grassy, level and well maintained. Both are easy to get to, although I wouldn't recommend attempting to drive to either in a small car. Site 1 is closer to the house, animals, potty and other buildings on the property. The fire pit area is clean and is surrounded by trees. Site 2 is more isolated but is still pretty close in distance to the animals, home and structures. However it is separated by a line of trees and you are camping more in a field.  We choose site 1 die to its proximity to the bathroom and picnic tables because we were camping with small kids.

Bathroom: the bathroom is a port-a-potty and was cleaned right before our arrival. Several reviews I read mentioned that it was the cleanest port-a-potty they had ever seen and they were correct. It is surrounded by a privacy fence which was nice. It was relatively close to the site and was stocked with plenty of toilet paper and included hand sanitizer.

PROS:

Secluded

You have the entire site to yourself

Two options for camping with bathroom nearby

Nice hiking trails with varying lengths, easy to hike even for a 3 year old

CONS:

If you are a light sleeper the geese, rooster or planes may keep you awake

We did find a snake skin, but you are out in nature

The structures didn't give the best view, but you can always choose to face away from them or use site 2

Would definitely stay here again.

Great site for all things!

It’s a great place for one night or a month. They have a general store on site, boat ramp, equipment rentals. The grounds are clean and well kept. They have cabins, RV sites, and good old fashioned sites. They host events every now and then. Price is not bad for the area. Make sure you reserve your spot on the weekend they go fast.

Woods and City

We stayed here for 3 nights at a back in with w/e. We enjoyed sitting around the campfire at night and walking the dogs down to the water. We were right next to a hiking trail that went down to the water and a beach area. We were working in Arlington/DC only a 25 min drive away and it was nice to come home to some nature.

Great Fall Destination

We camped here with a group of families in the fall. The drive into the park was beautiful and made us feel we were many miles away from civilization even though we weren’t. The camp sites are spread out nicely with clean facilities. The bathrooms were particularly well heated! We almost didn’t want to leave after brushing our teeth. We loved our fall visit when the forest was the spectrum of reds, oranges and browns.

Great campsite

This site is right along the Potomac River. The water pump connects with a well, and is treated with iodine. Plenty of space for tents, and has a fire ring. Trailside for easy access.

Great Family Spot!

Brought our 5 and 7 year old kids here on a Dad’s weekend. Camping sites are standard and well spaced out. Bathroom facilities were very clean and I’d say even better maintained than most. Kids love this place because of the other activities like laser tag and the cart track. I wondered why a camp site needs these things and the fact is they don’t. But when I ask which camp site my kids had the most fun at, they said Little Bennet because of the activities. We prefer hiking as a family and staying away from crowds and this camp site wasn’t crowded or felt busy. It’s a quick drive from NOVA but just far enough where you feel away from it all.

I don’t think they need to show movies at night. Live music or something more interactive like a bon fire would help elevate the experience.

Lake Anna Access

This campground has access to lake Anna and is clean… quite times 9 and they have security going around to remind everyone.

Clean and convenient

This KOA is clean and convenient to the historic sites in the Fredericksburg, VA area and is close to DC. I totally recommend!

Nice stop on the Appalachian Trail

The hut is 3 sides and open on the 4th, the open side faces the fire pit. There is a picnic table, privy, bear locker, and bear pole to hang additional items at the site. The hut sleeps 8 and is first come, first serve. You may end up meeting some new friends there because of this. If the hut is full, there are some tent sites available. Also the spring for water is located very close by.

Great park, easy hike.

Come prepared with all essentials

Great Place to stay

This was a great place to stay! Close t9 everything D.C. has to offer while being far enough away to be in the woods. We went during the fall, but the summer woukd be an ideal time to go so you can enjoy the water park and bay.

Rustic at its best

Very primitive, tent only camping. Nothing near it and very private. An awesome place to relax!

beautiful lake

As I've mentioned in other reviews, I grew up on Lake Anna. Much of my childhood was spent on the lake, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I love it here. Lake Anna State Park is small, but very nice with a lot of amenities. There are a relatively small number of campsites, so plan you trip in advance, especially during holiday weekends.

The place has plenty to offer though. Fishing, hiking trials, horseback trails, an old gold mine, the lake, a gift shop, biking trails, picnic tables, and probably anything else you need. There are cabins that you can rent as well.

As far as the lake goes, definitely try out some water sports while you're visiting. There are also some really good fishing spots.

Be sure to check out Lake Anna Winery and Coyote Hole Ciderworks. The latter of the two is my favorite place to grab an adult drink in the area. If you're looking for some sea food, you can drive your boat (if you have one) right up to Tim's On The Lake and grab a bite to eat. After your meal you can walk along the small boardwalk and grab some ice cream from one of the shops below the restaurant.

Be warned, once you visit, you're going to want to buy a house on Lake Anna.

Nice but crowded

Very nice, plenty to see and do, but very crowded and noisy, even after quite time.

amazing place

I absolutely love this campground. The sites are pretty secluded, which is nice if you want to actually feel like you're out in nature.

The state park is located right on the potomac river, which is pretty cool. The best part is that you can actually find sharks teeth on the beaches here. When it rains, the teeth get washed out of the cliff (since this whole area used to be covered in ocean). My family has always loved coming here to look for sharks teeth on Fossil Beach.

The place also has great trails for walking, running, or hiking.

If you want to get away from the camp ground, the area is pretty cool to explore as well. George Washington's birthplace is near Westmoreland, so history buffs can find plenty to do.

Great campground!

Great for vacations by the lake

Christopher Run Campground is located in the small town of Mineral, Virginia. It is located right on Lake Anna, a beautiful man-made lake. The lake is a great way to relax, spend time with family, or try out some water sports.

I've actually lived on Lake Anna my entire life, so my summers were always filled with great times on the lake. Christopher Run is one of the places that my family loved to go camp. The sites are nice, lake is amazing in the summer time, and the family that runs the place are always helpful.

The campground has canoes that can be rented, places to fish, mini golf, and weekly events. It is a great place for the whole family to enjoy.

Awesome campout trip

We decided to have a guys weekend so my uncle, cousin, and I decided to head out to Rappahannock. We had an awesome sized campsite (I believe it was #9), and we had a blast.

A Quiet Corner in a Busy Metro Area

The Oak Ridge campgrounds at Prince William Forest Park are a lovely little campground just outside Washington DC. The sites were large, the facilities are clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

We stayed the last weekend in September for a quick one night stay. We needed to get out of DC and found this spot to be the perfect ticket. There were heavy rains the whole week prior to our stay and when we got to our site (it is one of the lowest spots of B loop) was a little too wet for us (our three kids would have love it, just not us). The campground host was very accommodating and told us to pick any spot on the first come/first serve A loop. We were able to find a very nice spot and the host came to us to change the forms around.

The free firewood is nice but be sure to pick is up (next to the water tower by the entrance to the campground) when you check in so you don’t have to carry it, or make a separate trip. The wood was sitting out, so it was a little wet, but all fresh, no rot. I would recommend having a hatchet or camp knife to split the corded wood to account for the wetness.

The A loop bathroom facility was clean with a nice service sink, but no showers. The B loop facility does have showers and is also very nice (we didn’t swing through C loop so we can’t speak to those facilities).

We went cycling as a family and though did not go too far (young kids) the park is a fantastic place to ride bicycles. There is only one short hiking loop from the campground, but other trails which will take you on a longer loop. All the hiking loops are accessible via car or our choice (once the kids are old enough) bicycle.

We enjoyed our stay and will be coming back, even for a quick one night stay to break up the busy city life.

Easily accessible from freeway

The Seneca Creek State Park is convenient, peaceful, clean, and a great place to unwind from the hustle and bustle of the city without having to drive far. Highly recommended!

Great campground

We really enjoyed our visit! They have a beach, playgrounds, mini golf, hiking, arcade and many other amenities. Very friendly and helpful!

Family Camping Success

We had a great time here over a long weekend in August. The check in is a breeze and the staff is super nice and helpful. They gave us a great intro to the park as we were first timers. They informed us that they had a scavenger hunt for the kids going all weekend, they had an outdoor movie scheduled for Friday night, a campfire story time scheduled for Saturday night and crafts scheduled for Sunday morning. This was music to our ears as we camp with our 3 and 1 year old. There is also a pool/water park in the park as well as a nice network of trails. There is plenty of things to do here to keep a family occupied.

We got a site on thr inner loop and it backed to the playground and the bathhouse. The site was spacious. We are tent campers but almost all our neighbors were in an RV or trailer. The site had water and electric which was nice. The bathhouse is standard but also has laundry and an outdoor dish washing station. The campground was quiet which is nice.

This was an amazing weekend for us and we will definitely be back. There is boat rental a short walk down the trsil from the campgrounds and the pool and disc golf course are another short trail walk away.

Quiet nights at Private Campground

Stopped off at this campground after finding it while passing though just before Labor Day weekend. While it was the last weekend for the pool before its closure and while they were in the process of working on some of the plumbing at the campground, it was a well put together campground which was very impressive.

Located somewhat remotely from the larger community and near several places of interest along the road, this camp was a great stop for a tent camper like myself. They offer a basic tent site for $26 with nice bath houses. For full connections the price does rise slightly offering both both 20/30 amp and 50 amp connections for RVs.

The roads around the camp are gravel and a little bumpy but the sites themselves were pretty level and grassy for tents which was pretty nice. Sites are located far enough off the road that road noise is minimal.

I did also notice they have cabin rentals available and a pretty nice little store with lots of options for those who didn't bring everything with them.

Great Falls Proximity With Much Much More

I asked myself what was the closest location I could find to Great Falls when making a day of this area. 3 miles was about as close as I could get, and while in this area a lot can happen in 3 miles it was well worth the traffic I faced, the driving in and out of the "city" and the overall discovery of this location as it was.

Let me just start by saying I expected to find this and just go to Great Falls, but had I have known that it had so many different things around I would have probably extended my stay a bit. There was a waterpark and outdoor sports area where you could enjoy so many activities. And then there was the lake itself!! Bike trails, hiking trails and equestrian trails surround this area and I honestly could have spent so much more time just enjoying this space because of all the interesting things there were to do right in front of me.

But with all good things there is also a price point that has to match and I will say that this one is a bit steep at $28 on week days or $31 on weekends for a regular tent camper with no electricity. For those needing hook ups that extends even more so to $37 or $45 for RVs depending on length on weekday to $41 or $50 for weekends.

That really was the deal breaker for me the price. While I was there on a weekday, the following day was a weekend and that hike though not but a few dollars was hard to swallow in an already kind of expensive primitive site.

TIPS:

• If you are a senior make sure to mention this, you get a large discount on sites when staying here.
  • Check out the marina where you can rent paddle boats and other items for water fun.
  • Take the 3 mile drive to Great Falls, it is amazing and if not there on a weekend you will have many of the trails to yourself. During weekends it is a popular spot for families with only a $10 per car price tag.
Another FREE Campsite!!!

Sometimes big reward comes to those willing to walk a little, as is the case with this one. This one is officially marked at the 16 mile mark and if you are willing to go you are rewarded by campgrounds every so many miles. There are only a few spots and it is first come first serve here but well worth it to see the nature around you!!

I didn't know what exactly to expect of this site but when I got there was so happy I tried to get here!!!

Great hiker site!! Fire ring is present and plenty of firewood. Downside the chemical toilet was pretty gross and the picnic table had seen better days.

City Camping With Country Feel

I would say this is one of those spaces that you basically are in the middle of the action without feeling it at all. In fact this entire area is remotely non-remote if that makes any sense. This campground, in the area of the Bull Run incident is one of those areas that even through you have amenities of the city you can quietly reflect on relaxing without driving far.

With that being said, the sites are between $27 and $45 depending on what you are looking for. My primitive site was $27, which was a little steep but again you are given a nice large "family" style camping space with typical amenities.

The showers in the 2 bath houses are both HOT, which was great considering how sore my muscles were from camping for weeks at this point. The restroom was in pretty decent shape but clearly well used. Something I did rely on at this campsite which I typically do not was the camp store, I picked up firewood here and had a nice campfire to relax in the evening. MUCH NEEDED.

I was pretty pleased overall with the campsite, it was not to crowded despite having a lot of other campers staying and it had great proximity to several things in the Manasas area including the battlefield which were interesting ways to spend the day. I even got to check out a live demo of the weapons including muskets and canons which made a cool experience only 5 minutes from camp.

TIPS:

• Sunday Traffic is a bit intense because of a local church so make sure you are being careful, there are a lot of patrols in the area at this time.
  • If you forget something the camp store has just about everything from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Check out one of the over 15 trails in the area designed for hiking, biking and horseback riding. So many options depending on what you are looking for. Also… there are a lot of geocaches in the area if you enjoy that.
Little Piece Of The Outdoors In the Middle Of City

When I was checking out this site I wasn't sure how it would work out exactly. It seemed close to the METRO, which made for a great option when exploring the DC area and had been raved bout as a great escape for those with larger rigs, but how would that translate for me as a tent camper?

I went ahead and booked for the days I would be there in good faith and spent $100 for 5 days ($20 per night) a great deal by far in comparison to a lot of the other sites I had explored.

I arrived later in the evening that I had expected and the booth was closed (something I learned is common practice since they have changed over from cash to reservations only for this site). I found my receipt from my online booking and pulled up a map on my phone of the loops to help me find the site, it was pretty simple as only the B and D loops were open at the time I was visiting.

Traffic in and out of the camp loops are one way and they have signs posted that you need to back into your sites. I found my site which was close to the bath house and before setting up my tent made my rounds. The bath house had 1 shower per bath house per gender with 2 bath houses per loop. I was a little concerned about what would happen if it got busy with those accommodations, however it never seemed to be an issue.

My site was facing the road to the other loops, which initially concerned me about noise, but because of limited traffic due to loop closures it never was an issue either. The site was pretty even but did have some rocks in the area where my pad would be so I had to do a little clearing.

I had a picnic table but no grill at this site, although others did have grills available. I set up my small cooker on the picnic table and while cooking dinner noticed a family of deer grazing close by, a great way to settle in for the evening.

The camp host came by and welcomed me before I was fully set up for the evening and was great!!!

After staying here for a week I was so pleased by the quiet nature of the campground, the overall feeling of the outdoor space (every morning birds and squirrels) and the proximity to the METRO (only about 10 minutes with traffic).

TIPS:

• Reserve online - this is a NO CASH facility which means you CANNOT pay upon arrival so you will have to do so online.
  • Drive slowly - there are a lot of people who use this space as a green space for walking and running. There is no shoulder so you share the road space with those enjoying this space so be careful.
  • No hanging things from trees. Even if you love a hammock you cannot hang them at this park on the trees so make sure you are aware of this before camping here.
  • Book a campfire. You can inquire with the ranger on duty about using the group facility for campfires and gatherings which is located on the back side of the B Loop.
  • Take the METRO if you are going into the District. There are two stations very close to camp (Greenbelt and University Park). Rides vary depending on how far you are going but on average I spent about $10 per day on METRO versus $20-$40 on parking in the district area and I could come and go as I pleased with a little walking as opposed to having to drive aimlessly until I could find parking in garages which can be very difficult. There was also a small charge to park at the METRO daily but still even with this cost it was more reasonable than attempting to drive around the city and a lot faster as well.
Small but accommodating

The small loop here accommodates both tent and RVs, which is fine but some of these damn things are so huge, I have trouble believing they could wedge themselves here. The sites for tents are big enough for a 4 person tent. There are clean bathrooms and the hosts, who I have spoken to many times, are friendly and knowledgeable about the area. There is however a great bit of light pollution at night here due to its approximation to DC. Minimal noise except for planes overhead. There are decent trails to hike here too. There’s a sacrifice of space here- I’d like to see it expand a bit, as the campground can fill quickly, especially if RV’s are involved.

Fossil beach

along the banks of the Potomac. great place, can find fossils and shark teeth on fossil beach. the sites are roomy and have pebble ground cover for pitching your tents. take an interpretive hike or rent a kayak. there’s a pool.