Shenandoah National Park, VIRGINIA
Camping Virginia Shenandoah National Park
Most Recent Shenandoah National Park Camping Reviews
Nice stop over

Close to 81, but hyway isn't a distraction for a good night's sleep. And we were closest to hyway then majority of campers. Friendly staff. Pleasant clean surroundings in campgrounds. Clean pool, rest rooms, laundromat. Outdoor fire pit gazebo.

Shenandoah Crossing

Excellent site complete with out door kitchen and hot tub.  A lot of amenities including pools, horseback riding, mini-golf, boat rentals, golf cart rentals.  The lodge has a restuarant, game room and exercise room.

Perfect Getaway

My family and I had a blast with some close friends. Everyone was super friendly the the grounds were clean. There was a lot of activities to keep all entertained. Karaoke and family fear factor was a hit. Descent size pool that wasn’t overcrowded. Close to wineries and breweries with fantastic Mountain Views. They also hold great music festivals in the Spring and Fall that we are excited to check out. We will be back.

Biggest dump I have visited

We have been full timing since June 17, 2019. I have stayed at 13 sites since then and this by far is the absolute most disgusting site I have ever visited. We were in and out in less than an hour.

The sites were run down, filthy, old mats on the ground, picnic tables so bad and warped that you couldn’t eat on them and the fire pit was full of stuff! Other words the site was not cleaned after the previous people left!

When I went up to office to get a credit back they acted so rude and still charged us a cancellation fee!

Hidden Gem

This campground surprised me. It states online that it’s only 15amp electric at 14 of their sites. Mid-August was a gamble as to weather. It was gorgeous weather! In the valley and surrounded by beautiful mountain views it was 80 daytime and ~60 at night. We were in site 12 which was small for our RV (22 ft total pulled by our F-150) but we worked it out. Site 14 is a buddy electric site. There are a few other buddy sites with no hookups. Site 11 and 13 both look nice and a bit more length to them and have electric (15 amp). We found that sites 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 are FHU (not sure what amp electric though). While 3, 5, 7, and 9 are designated Host spots, site 3 had the sign covered and an RV using it. Not sure how you do that but good to know. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring. There are 3 not so great bath houses and the only reason I didn’t give 5 stars. Only 1 sink, 2 stalls, and 1 shower in each and a stall in 2 of them was out of order. I used the shower and it was nice hot water. There is Rockcliff lake and small beach area, an overlook (Lina Constable Overlook) to hike to right off the camp loop but it’s 1 mile steep incline at times but worth every step. Gorgeous! There were other trails too. We also hiked the Rockcliff lake trail which was rocky at spots but pretty level. There’s a boat launch for non powered boats, and fishing spots along the lake. The lake water was crystal clear and is surrounded by beautiful views of the mountains. We didn’t swim but on a Saturday in August about 4pm, it wasn’t too crowded. You aren’t close to much else outside of outdoor activities but we drove into Lost City and Lost River. There’s a great arts cooperative we stopped at with unique artistic wares to purchase and a small museum. We stopped at a farmers market, and a general store that both offered pastries, and coffee drinks as well as area goods for purchase. There is a Dollar General near these places too. The drive to the campground (Thorny Bottom Rd. CR 16) was a bit windy but doable. Better to go to Wardensville, WV and down 16 rather than try to cross the mountain near East of Trout Pond. Camp Hosts were present and helpful! Highly recommend this campground if you are a tent camper, smaller RV, or if you just prefer less of a glamping experience.

Quaint campsite

Arrived before the weekend, around late morning. Greeted by the park ranger, they gave the basic information for these sites. Limited spots here. You’re pretty close to your neighbor. Only some spots have bear lockers, ours did and we ended up sharing with another site that didn’t. Yes, there was warning that a bear had been really close to this area.

There are cabins, tent sites and room for trailers. Camp store with the usual goodies. Bathrooms, dish wash station, and coin showers.

Our spot had a picnic table and a fire ring. We stayed for a few nights with no complaints. AT trail is right there if you’re interested. We had limited to no service depending on where you were standing, so I wouldn’t expect much. But that’s why you’re out there right? There is a short trail nearby, saw some deer. The only thing I wish was a better view of the surroundings area like some of the pull. 360 view of only trees.

Secluded

This campground is small and secluded. Sites are spread out and large. Really a beautiful place. The ranger on duty was extremely rude but it could almost be overlooked because of the amazing location. Most of the sites have creek access.

Close to tons of hikes and lots of other things to do.

Conviently located near many hikes and the stores.

Great quiet campground!

We visited this campground for a trip to Luray caverns. The staff was very nice. The campground was very clean and very quiet. The whole area was very well maintained. There is not a camp store, but there is a gas station with a general store very close by. Our campsite had great views of the surrounding fields and mountains. We will definitely go back again!

Wonderful with warm welcome

We showed up at sunset, were greeted by park rangers and informed this site is $5 cheaper to camp in than all the others in the park. Made us feel happy. Ate dinner and slept all night without becoming dinner for a bear. Really clean really cool beautiful sunset through the trees. Highly recommend.

Close spots, great price

They have a cute store/registration with friendly staff. I have a 30ft class c and there was definitely enough space for my RV. I only see travel trailers around us and not other RVs. However, the spots are sooooo close to each other I could hear my neighbors conversation. Also, I went to take a shower while my spouse was taking his shower and the ladies room had no hot water. It was a huge bummer. While the price was somewhat reasonable, I wouldn’t come back.

Beautiful Campground near the Blue Ridge Parkway

We've stayed here several times, most recently in June 2019.  Large, level sites with electric hookups.  Potable water is available at various spigots around the campground loops as well as on your way in (to fill up your fresh water tank).  Cell service is very limited, though this time I had intermittent service (for texting) with AT&T 4G.

Only C loop allows you to make site-specific reservations, and these fill up quickly.  B loop is first come-first served, but that is often full, too.  We're close enough (25 miles) that we'll sometimes drive over to claim a site in B loop then drive home to get our trailer.  Wish there was a better system re: reservations!

But the lake is nice, bathhouses are clean, and we always enjoy being at Sherando--when we can get a site!

More pics and information about Sherando Lake Campground is on my blog:

Beautiful!

Large ample sights with views at or near sights.  Lots of options! We will return!

Great views and wonderful pool

We stayed at this KOA on our way to Virginia Beach but wanted to a day in Shenandoah National Park.  We didn't do reservations because they wanted us to pay for the entire weekend when we just wanted to stay one night.  But we took a chance and it paid off.  This campground is tucked in the Shenandoah valley…mountains on both sides and nestled next to a farm.  The sites are big and ours backedup to a big field - great for the kids to run.  Nice and quiet campground and clean bathrooms.  The pool was clean and refreshing - so thankful for that because it was in the upper 90s the day we were there.  Great place to stay and wish we had longer.

Pretty good place !

We were staying here with our two children and no dogs. As far as that’s concerned was a great place !! Lots for them to do, great swimming lake, employees were a pleasure. Trash pick-up was awesome !! Our site was gorgeous. Not a full hook up(more on that later), but absolutely perfect. Very private while still having next door neighbors. Music and such till quiet hours, again fine if that’s your thing. This is NOT a quiet or private campground. And that’s ok, as long as you’re aware. Ok, now to the gripes. Not many, but here goes. GOLF CARTS. Dear gods, these people won’t walk 20’ to the bathhouse !! It was insane. I expect bikes and such, but it seems as though there were some kind of secret society that unfortunately I didn’t get the memo. Couldn’t hardly walk on the roads, because of the golf cart traffic. Aaaaaaand, the dump station. Oh yes, that chestnut. Since our site had no sewer hook up(no regerts), we needed to dump before leaving. It’s conveniently located on the way out, BUT was completely overflowed. Toilet paper everywhere, and oh the stench. Which kicked of our search for another dump station, but that’s a tale for a different time. Will definitely be going back when we have the children, but will probably find something a little more quiet when it’s just us. Everywhere has their issues…Overall, great experience. Thank you Shenandoah !!

It’s magical

Big Meadows is the most centrally located campground within Shenandoah. It’s near a huge meadow full of paths to explore. Great place to see the stars at night too. The campground itself is popular so if you’re seeking something more remote and private this isn’t the place to sleep for you. Watch out for deer.

Okay

Stayed here cause Big Meadows was full. Not too bad just really close to people and much smaller than Big Meadows. Still great spot inside the park near lots of wonderful trials.

Big fan

For hiking and camping alone as often as I do I was a big fan of this site. I was able to find something fairly secluded from people but still within close range of a store, and a restaurant. Shenandoah is awesome

Amazing Campground and Location!

Devils Backbone Brewery and Basecamp is amazing! This a great concept to put a nice campground right at a brewery/restaurant.

The campground is only about a year old and has nice variety of sites. Full hook-up sites are all pull through, large, and flat. The tent sites are large and situated in the tree line for added shade. The bathhouse is one of the nicest we’ve ever visited. There is no wifi and limited cell phone service at the sites, but wifi is available at the main brewery compound. While we loved this campground and can’t wait to return, the one drawback that may take some planning is the hookup situation. There is a tower between two sites with water and electric and depending on the way you pull through the sewer hookup could be on the other side of the rig. This could be an inconvenience if your hoses are not long enough to reach under your rig to the hookups. The even numbered sites appear to be the best with all hookups on one side.

One of the best parts of this campground is you can just walk to the main compound, which houses the brewery restaurant, distillery, two outdoor bars, fire pits and fire places, and chairs/seating. This area was amazing and nice to eat, drink, and relax. There is also a large stage area for the bands that regularly play. The food and drink were very good and reasonably priced. The price of the campground site was only$55 per night for full hook-ups within walking distance to the main area!

Additionally, the campground is a prime location for exploring the other numerous wineries, cideries, and breweries in the area. We loved Devil’s Backbone and can’t wait to return!

Peace and quiet!

This is a great campground! It is about a mile hike-in. They have wheelbarrows you can borrow to help bring in your stuff from the car. There are pit toilets and non potable water available as well as firewood when you get to the campground. The campsites are pretty secluded and spaced out so you have some privacy. It is so peaceful and quiet! Lots of great hiking to do in the area. When we were there they were having a historical reenactment near the visitors center that was so cool! We came in August and it was super hot, but that is just Virginia. Lots of friendly staff and campers there.

Ranger Review: Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier at Devil’s Backbone Camp

Campground Review:

Devil’s Backbone Camp is a unique outdoor retreat that includes a campground at a large brewery complex. This was the best of both worlds, because we are beer enthusiast and avid campers. The campground includes 75 sites split between primitive tent sites, non-electric RV sites, and full hookup RV sites. All site types included a picnic table and fire ring. Check in for all camping is at the brewpub. I’ve included a picture of the map in my pictures for you to get a better understanding of the layout.

We stayed on site 4 on this visit, which was a full hook up site. All the full hook up sites are pull thru and in an open field so limited shade. The hookups in this area where different than I have ever experienced as the hookups were shared between two sites. If you were on an even number site, this was no problem. However, if you were on an odd number site, you either had to hope you had the length on your water and power lines to run to the opposite side of your rig or you had to pull into the site the opposite way to get the connections on the standards side of your rig. The non-electric sites were back in and had a little more shade. The tent sites were in the woods so full shade.

The camp is also just miles from the Appalachian Trail, so they provide a free shuttle to the camp, as well as group tent area for registered AT thru-hikers.

There is single bathhouse in the camp area that is near the tent area and a good walk from both the RV areas. The bathhouse was clean and functional.

Firewood is available at the camp host.

A short walk through the tent area brought you to the large brewery area. This area includes a brewpub, large outdoor seating area with fire pits and an outdoor stage, a distillery, cigar and cocktail lounge, an additional outdoor bar and grille, a breakfast building with craft coffee, and a gift shop. They also have their own green house to grow vegetables and source local farms for ingredients that they use in their brewpub kitchen and grille.

The property also included two large cabins to rent and two hiking trails (one 3km and another 5km).

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The camp area did have Wi-Fi, but it was a little bogged down on this Fourth of July stay (full campground).

While we camped, we also had the opportunity to check out a few of the local attractions. Being at the base of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest, there are many outdoor activities to take advantage of. We hiked to Humpback Rocks which is a decent climb, so be prepared, but once you summit, the views are amazing. The area around the camp also had many other breweries, ciderys, wineries, and distilleries. One cidery is right across the street from the campground, was fun to visit, and has lots of outdoor seating. We did enjoy our visit here and do recommend this campground.

The main reasoning for the 4-star rating instead of a 5-star is due to the single bathhouse that is a good walk from the RV areas and the very unique water and power hookups in the full hookup area.

----------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier. The variety pack from Liquid I.V.  includes powder packs in the flavors of lemon lime, acai berry, and passion fruit. The packets are very easy to use (just mix one packet with 16 ounces of water) and are small enough to pack in your backpack, purse, or even your pocket so you have it with you when you want to use it. With the hydration multiplier, drinking one 16-ounce bottle of water is equivalent to drinking three bottles of water. I found that I enjoyed all three of the flavors in the variety pack. I am not a big regular water drinker, but having a little flavor made me drink the water quicker and more frequently. Having this while hiking in the area and after enjoying the large selection of adult beverages in the area made me feel rejuvenated and ready to get out and see more of the area.

Had a wonderful time. Clean restroom and showers. Pretty level site. But, roads to your sites were extremely steep. We got there the day it rained all morning. Roads were washed out. Our rv was tossed around trying to get to our site. Kinda scary twice. Felt like we were going to topple over! Half hour later, they had trucks there putting in stones where the road had huge holes! Caverns were exquisite!

Good family fun

We stay two nights and had a great time! There are lots of activities to do as a family and everything is kept up nicely. The jump pad and the pool tables were our favorites.

Super Rad Spot

We stayed here for a night - I was meeting up with family so they were able to accommodate us by making sure we had a big enough spot for two cars. PLUS she goes out of her way to make sure all the kids/families are next to each other. Really cute community camping feeling. Small campground but it was still quite with every site filled. Will totally come back!

Lots of open space, lots to do

Beautiful surroundings. No phone signal and wifi was a joke but that's not a bad thing!

Wonderful views

Alway fun, lots for the kids and adults to do. The view of the mountains is amazing 😊

Wonderful AT thru hiker stop

Our family stayed at this cabin on a camping/driving trip down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were driving a long way that day and wanted to stay in something that was not as rustic as car camping and not as fancy as a cheap motel room. This spot fit the bill perfectly. The owners were super flexible about us getting in after dark and let us rent out the entire space, which included a kitchen, sitting room and upstairs bunk room which could hold 6 people. We were also allowed to bring our dog. They had food in the freezer like pizza and other stuff for sale. There are a ton of resources on the AT in the cabin. We also met some hikers on their way to Maine as the trail is only 150 yds away.

There is a fancier B&B Victorian house on the property that has been restored and also reasonably priced. While we were there we saw that they were fixing up more areas of the house to accommodate guests and the renovations are lovely and in keeping with the history of the main house.

The little cabin where we stayed was perfectly charming and set us up to camp our way down through Shenandoah NP and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were able to dry out our gear from previous night's rain and relax. Highly recommended for a glamping stop .

Best Family Resort for Summer Fun

Spent 3months here and absolutely loved it! There’s always tons of activities to do for everyone of age. Gold cart parades, crafts hours, poker run, corn hole tournaments. And of course their lake that has two jumping decks, water slide, snack bar , restaurant and off to the side a little store for floats with putt putt golf and Jenna,etc.

The restaurant has great food, but a quick snack is usually preferred. On weekends the staff and owners make sure your having fun and go out of their way to cheer you up.

There’s also a huge playground with volleyball and basket ball court near the pavilion. Along with a small arcade room and a huge fire pit ring to hang out at. Not to far from there is a dog run for both big and small and a fishing pond next to it.A few hiking trails that have the creek follow you around along with wildlife all around you.

They also have golf cart rentals :) A lot of gravel with a few green patches on their sites. But still easy enough to bike ride around. Weekend sites are spacious and so are the monthly/seasonal areas. And there’s tons of cabins to rent in front of the lake. Bring the whole family!

Great little campground

Wonderful little spot. Pam was very accommodating and nice! Most of the spots pull up near the creek and have a picnic table and fire pit with a grill.

Great little campground.

Took my 8yr old there this past weekend. His 1st time camping and he loved it. The staff was great from beginning to end. Clean facilities and sites. They took us up river and dropped us so we could kayak back. Their store had everything that we had forgotten with good prices. Check this place out, you won’t be disappointed.