Shenandoah National Park, VIRGINIA

Camping Virginia Shenandoah National Park
Most Recent Shenandoah National Park Camping Reviews
I stopped for a night on my way to Texas

I gave this campground 5 stars because it is super convenient to I81, the staff is wonderful, my tent spot was right on the creek, the bathrooms are immaculate with hot water showers, and they allow dogs. The only caveat is there is a small local road that winds around the primitive sites but traffic is pretty light so it didn’t really bother me. The RV sites seemed pretty tight and they fill up on the weekends. I was the only tent camping that night so I had the area mostly to myself. Nice area with a quaint town to explore if you’re touring around.

Fun camping and tubing trip!

This campground is great! Primitive camping at its best. Very friendly staff. We stayed here and went tubing on the Rappahannock River one day. The tubing trip was organized by the same people that run the campground so that was very convenient!

Cute Family Campground

Great little campground, close to local breweries. The camp store has sports equipment you can check out (badminton!), and has everything you didn’t know you forgot. They have a pool and VERY clean restrooms. Pet-friendly, sometimes have live music or karaoke. We always enjoyed our stay here. Very nice owners.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hat at Shenandoah River State Park

Campground: What’s not to love!? Shenandoah National Park is right around the corner. This state park campground is clean, with spacious sites and beautiful views of the mountain ranges and the Shenandoah River that backs right up to the campsite. You will enjoy 30/50 amp electric and water. No sewer at the sites, so plan on using the dump drain on the way out.

Product review: As a ranger for the Dyrt, I get to test products from our awesome partners. While camping at Shenandoah River State Park, I’ve been testing out my Terrain hat from Banner and Oak https://bannerandoak.com. Here is what I think about the hat:

My Banner & Oak hat fits great. It’s durable and looks great. I especially like apparel with Buffalos on them, so this fits the “bill”. Banner & Oak are all about the great outdoors and exploring. Check out their hats, apparel and other things on their website!

Love this place

Quiet, secluded. Beautiful Shenandoah

Sitting on top of a mountain with the Appalachian Trail wrapped around you, cant go wrong. Full service amenities available.

Great stay!

Friendly staff got us in on a very busy weekend! We had a great site on the river. Spaces were small but big enough for all our equipment. They had an awesome pool that was heated, hot tubs, mini golf and good playgrounds. My kids were in heaven. Would recommend to others and stay again if we were in the area.

Great Campground

Plenty of room at each site, great lake for fishing even has a beach in the mountains, clean bathrooms both wooded and open lots. Only negative was no Wifi.

Book in Advance

I’ve been to loft mountain a few times over the years. The overall area is great. It’s right off the AT so there a bunch of trails and it’s not too far away from Big Meadow if you wanted to take a short drive. I would recommend booking in advance to get the best sites right off the trail. A lot of the sites can be close to on another, but if you can get 10-13, those are the most secluded.

Great Summer Location

We recently stayed in one of the cottages. The cottage had a basic kitchen with sink, plenty of counter space, mini fridge, and some utensils and dishes. Perfect for the simple life! There were multiple picnic tables out back of the unit with a fire ring and of course lake front not even a stones throw away. The campground has plenty of activities from multiple playgrounds to activities every weekend. They rent golf carts which it great because the place is huge. There is also a very small fishing pond in the campground.

Great Campground

RV section is typical style in a large field. Back in sites for smaller trailers such as our teardrop were plenty big enough but still on the outskirts of the field. Bath house was very clean and very well thought out. Electric sites have 20a, 30a, and 50a hookups so small trailers can use a normal extension cord.

Not good honestly.

If you like real camping you will HATE this place. It was a beautiful mountain and beautiful views but no trails or anywhere fun to drive. The camp sites were basically subburbs, if you work a normal 9-5 you definitely won’t make it up there to get a camp spot. Definitely do not recommend. Absolutely awful.

Shenandoah National Park

We did not have a reservation and were lucky to get a site. It is a large campground with 200 sites for RV's & tent campers. The site we had was primitive, no water or electric, but had a picnic table, fire ring, & a bear box. Although the sites were close, they were situated to maximize privacy. The campgrounds had plenty of restrooms with flush toilets & sinks. The camp store has laundry facilities and showers that you must pay for, $1.75 for 5 minutes. The grounds and facilities are very clean. An added bonus, you can access the Appalachian Trail right from the campgrounds that provides amazing views

Picture perfect

We could not have asked for a nicer location! Our tent was about 20 feet from the river and the campground had everything we could have asked for (including spotless bathroom and shower facilities!) My girlfriend and I highly recommend it!

Simple Campground

$25 + tax per night for a tent site, $2 more per person. Showers and bathhouses avail. RV accommodations. About 6 miles from the town of Culpeper.

A place to sleep

Stopped over for a night. Very wet and muddy, mostly all gravel and dirt. Sites were pretty tight.
Staff was nice and pleasant and accommodating. Close to interstate 81 so it was convenient.

Another great trip to Sherando Lake!

We had another great trip to Sherando Lake! This is our 4th year camping here and we always look forward to the trip. This year the weather was cooler than it usually is, so we got to enjoy some of the other aspects of the park since it was too cold to swim. We love the hiking here! The trails around the Upper Lake and Lower Lake are favorites. Lookout Rock and Torry Ridge Trails are fun too! The kids enjoyed playing on the playground, skipping rocks, and fishing as well.

The campsites are clean and well kept up. The site we usually get (A-13) is well situated near the bathrooms and showers. Campsite A-12 makes a great buddy site! Such a family-friendly campground.

Coming in the middle of the week is the best time if you like to have peace and quiet and the place all to yourself. Can't wait till next year!

Quiet

The spaces at this campground are pretty tight. Not much room for activities other than sitting by a fire. Getting in and out on a weekend is pretty difficult too. With that being said, the area is beautiful and the staff is great. It’s very quiet and relaxing.

Great Weekend

Took a long weekend here with our travel trailer. Lots of fun stuff to do for adults, children, and pets. Will definitely visit again!

Kayakers welcomed

One of my favorite parts of Virginia. This place is great because they have a bus to bring you back up river after a day of kayaking. Clean facilities and a nice little store. Not recommended if you are looking for solitude.

Great campground on the river and close to SNP

Sites were easy to get in and out for trailers. Lots of space and woods between sites. Water and electricity hookups, gravel and paved pads. Picnic table and fire ring. Showers and bathrooms were clean and large size. Plenty of hot water and water pressure. Laundry facilities were great and worked well. Lots of trails around to walk and some to the river. Even a few bike trails. Nice are for kayak launch. They have a horse area as well. Large picnic and day use area. We stayed at site 15 and it was great for camper and large tent. Plenty of space for everyone. Love the area and hope to get back again. Used it as camp while we Day hiked in SNP.

Favorite in SNP

Loft is my favorite out of the campgrounds I’ve visited in the Shenandoah National Park. I’ve been Big Meadows and Lewis, but never to Matthew’s Arm. No reservations here, so you have to get lucky. But if you do and get a good site, it’s so going to be worth it. We had a site where you park at the top of a hill and hike down a slightly steepish hill to the site. It was shady, wooded, private, and quiet. There were a few sites beside us, but spaced nicely apart. The best tent views are the ones with no cars and bathhouses and this campground definitely gives you that. This one also provides bear boxes for food.

Favorite mini-hike nearby: Black Rock Summit (see photos). Beautiful views of the park, easy (the whole loop is less than a mile with just 175ft. of elevation gain), kid-friendly, and pet-friendly.

Packed

The park doesn’t take reservations so it’s first-come first-served. Sometimes you’ll get lucky but it’s always a gamble. The time I did end up getting a site here it was small and I felt elbow-to-elbow with other campers. If you don’t mind primitive camping, I’d suggest camping elsewhere in the park, or try for Loft Mountain. This campground provides bear boxes.

Beautiful , well maintained

Big Meadows Campground was wonderful. Facilities were clean and well maintained. Bear box for food storage. Loved seeing the deer so close and other wildlife. Fire ring with grate was available. Large site size. We had site 23. Highly recommend!

Great campground on the river and close to SNP

Owner says...

We are located on the Shenandoah River! Our waterfront unique kamp offers yurts and tent sites along with a well maintained bathhouse! Of course I feel we are 5 stars! Come visit us for the perfect Glamping experience — open year round!

What a wonderful hidden gem

Important to note that the primitive sites are walk-in only - but the walk is very short.

Primitive sites do not take reservations, so you select your own based on availability when you arrive. If you can get **site 5** that is crucial. The other sites still looked good, but site 5 is large, nicely laid out, and RIGHT on the water. No steps down, but a brilliant view.

The park in general is nice, and while not as grandiose as Shenandoah proper it is less expensive and loss populated. For $25 a had perfect quiet and I will definitely go back.

🏕🐻

Be mindful of bears! If you’re going to invest in a portable bear box for your food, check out http://igbconline.org/certified-products-list/.

There are especially so many incredible hikes on Skyline Drive! I recommend the AllTrails app to search by distance, difficulty, views/waterfalls, etc. I’ve included photos of some of my favorite hikes in the park.

Tent Stay

Definitely recommend!! Used as base camp to sleep and eat. Great vista hike(Humpback Rocks, Spy Rock, Three Ridges) are less than half hour drive. Plenty of other breweries, wineries, distilleries on the Craft Beverage Trail(Route 151).

Late June 2019

First time visiting North Fork, didn’t explore as much as I wanted to, Campers are tightly parked next to one another, was invited by my Uncle to come have a good time and enjoy the atmosphere, go tubing down the river. They had some bands playing that weekend as well. I’ll need to return sometime and look around a little more.