Shenandoah National Park, VIRGINIA

Most Recent Shenandoah National Park Camping Reviews
Downey Meadow

Great place to camp for the Red Wing Root's music festival

Just beautiful!

It is rare that a campground is close to all the amenities it has to offer without moving your vehicle but Sherando Lakes is one of them. You can access two lakes and multiple hiking trails from any of the three loops. One lake (Upper Sherando) is for fishing only and the main lake is for swimming (in season) and fishing. We were there in October and the fall foliage was stunning.

This campground gets five stars because of the awesome volunteer hosts. Ron started a fire for us while we were waiting for our firewood to be delivered (yes, you read that right!) and the next night, came over to our site bringing additional wood to keep our fire going long after we expected it to last. Gene and Deb were awesome in describing the trails to us.

I was surprised to find showers and flush toilets in a National Forest Service Campground but Sherando had both. Also, if you stay in the B or C loops, there are electric hookups, something else I was surprised to see in a NFS campground. We stayed in the A loop (no hookups) and this loop is more suitable for tents, but we were fine in our 17-foot campervan. The tent pads are large and flat. These spaces might be tight for larger RVs. If you have young kiddos, the C loop is closest to the playground. Sites are generously sized and have good separation. Firepit, large picnic table, lantern hook and what I’m guessing was a food prep “counter” This was awesome to be able to put our camp stove on and something I have never seen before.

LOVED this campground, the hikes, and awesome volunteer hosts.

One of the nicest National Park Campgrounds we’ve been in

Huge campground with over 200 sites plus additional tent-only walk-in sites but it appeared to be close to, if not completely, full on a Thursday night in late October, so it was a good thing we had reservations. Upon check-in, the campground rules were reviewed with us, and we even had to initial that we understood that we would be fined if our food was not properly stored, as the campground was in bear country. I’m guessing this is necessary because of stupid people who went before us. We reserved Site A67, which turned out to be a good one as it had no site on one side and tent sites behind us, but a good distance away on the other. Some sites have more privacy/separation than others. There were 12 sites in the A loop that did not allow generators, part of the reason we chose the site we did, but IMO, Sites E175-E185 are even better, as they back up to an expansive view.

This campground has it all, including a shower house (coin-operated) that looked very nice. I made sure I showered the morning of the day we arrived as most national park campgrounds do not have showers. There was also a very nice-looking laundry facility. This may be because of AT through-hikers but again, not something I was expecting in a national park campground. You can also access the trailhead for the popular Dark Hollow Falls trail directly from the campground. We only stayed one night but I would have stayed longer and would definitely consider returning to this large, but well-run campground.

Well run campground with lots of amenities

Misty Mountain offers something for everyone - spacious, level well-maintained full hook up sites that can accommodate any size trailer or RV, more rustic tent camping sites, quiet creekside camper sites with electric and water, and both modern and rustic cabins. The camp store is well stocked and even offers a very nice wine selection, plus local canned salsa, spaghetti sauce, and pie! There are many amenities for families - a huge bouncy mat, a fishing pond, playground, large group campfire, sports area, and a nice rec room. They have free donuts and coffee on Sundays, and special events many Saturdays. The shower and laundry facility is very new with modern, clean amenities. The showers are private suites and are large and nice enough that some people with showers in their campers still choose to use the camp ones instead. The site areas closest to the camp store and recreation area are the nicest - the RV sites up the hill by the cabins are smaller and closer together. The whole facility is very well maintained and the camp hosts live on site.

I stopped for a night on my way to Texas

I gave this campground 5 stars because it is super convenient to I81, the staff is wonderful, my tent spot was right on the creek, the bathrooms are immaculate with hot water showers, and they allow dogs. The only caveat is there is a small local road that winds around the primitive sites but traffic is pretty light so it didn’t really bother me. The RV sites seemed pretty tight and they fill up on the weekends. I was the only tent camping that night so I had the area mostly to myself. Nice area with a quaint town to explore if you’re touring around.

Fun camping and tubing trip!

This campground is great! Primitive camping at its best. Very friendly staff. We stayed here and went tubing on the Rappahannock River one day. The tubing trip was organized by the same people that run the campground so that was very convenient!

Cute Family Campground

Great little campground, close to local breweries. The camp store has sports equipment you can check out (badminton!), and has everything you didn’t know you forgot. They have a pool and VERY clean restrooms. Pet-friendly, sometimes have live music or karaoke. We always enjoyed our stay here. Very nice owners.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hat at Shenandoah River State Park

Campground: What’s not to love!? Shenandoah National Park is right around the corner. This state park campground is clean, with spacious sites and beautiful views of the mountain ranges and the Shenandoah River that backs right up to the campsite. You will enjoy 30/50 amp electric and water. No sewer at the sites, so plan on using the dump drain on the way out.

Product review: As a ranger for the Dyrt, I get to test products from our awesome partners. While camping at Shenandoah River State Park, I’ve been testing out my Terrain hat from Banner and Oak https://bannerandoak.com. Here is what I think about the hat:

My Banner & Oak hat fits great. It’s durable and looks great. I especially like apparel with Buffalos on them, so this fits the “bill”. Banner & Oak are all about the great outdoors and exploring. Check out their hats, apparel and other things on their website!

Love this place

Quiet, secluded. Beautiful Shenandoah

Sitting on top of a mountain with the Appalachian Trail wrapped around you, cant go wrong. Full service amenities available.