Sequoia National Forest, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Sequoia National Forest
Most Recent Sequoia National Forest Camping Reviews
Decent camping

The campsites are super close to one another. Recommend getting a site that is at a corner or end of a row. And be aware of the “security” that drives around at night with their lights off trying to harass campers!

Great pre-hike spot

Stayed here before our hike to Whitney. Great spot to get acclimated. Next time, I would try to stay here at least 2 days before the hike. I booked the site a week before but in the midst of the season, I’d probably book weeks, if not months in advance for prime availability. Was here the last weekend of September and it was COLD. Great site, friendly camp host, vault toilets, not service for t-mobile but Verizon has some signal. There’s a store for last minute items you might have forgotten. My brother and I hiked the next morning and summited Mt. Whitney. Would definitely stay here again!

Whitney views for days

Stayed here a few days before hiking Whitney. Great place to acclimate, second to Whitney portal campground. We camped at one of the walk-in sites. Enough space for the 4 of us, 2 tents, and the family pup. The parking spots are only 50 yds away and next to the restrooms. The campground sits in a ravine like space so if the winds pick up it can whip through pretty good. Good trail that connects to Whitney portal on the ridge above, good for the dogs to run on as well. No cell service besides the top of the ridge if you need to call/text. I’ve been coming to the Sierra’s all my life but never stayed here. I’d come back for the views alone.

A Favorite

For just $8 a night you can enjoy the Eastern Sierras with plenty of room to spare between you and your camping neighbors. This place is a favorite for us, with fishing, snow capped mountains, and the cutest little kangaroo mice I have ever seen! It’s a fun get away and recommended for friends and family. No service here, no store or place to buy firewood at the campground but you’re a stones throw away from Lone Pine a Western town nearby for fishing, food and any other camping needs. Restrooms are available here and are kept clean, just bring a flashlight at night as it is pitch black. In the Summer this place can get pretty toasty and the sun is incredibly strong, I’d recommend taking a canopy with your camping supplies, with little to no trees for shade in this area.

Milky Way and Rocks

Alabama Hills is a popular area to see the beauty of natural rock formations. This is BLM land so there's no campground amenities.  However you can camp here for free in many dispersed locations.  Just look around and look for spots that you can park and camp at. There are plenty of sites back into the rocks. There's cell service where the main road starts but not much after that. This is a great place to view the Milky Way and watch the sunrise. This is a great place to go rock climbing.

Convenient and Simple

Portagee Joe is a small campground with round 20 camping spots. It's located 1 mile from Lone Pine on Mt Wilson Portal Rd. It's a good little campground if you are traveling thru or need a easy place to stay while exploring Mt. Whitney or the Alabama Hills. It cost $14 per night + $5 extra vehicle.  There's a pretty little stream that splits the campground that gives off soothing sounds. There's two restrooms and water.

Since it's only 1 mile from lone pine there are plenty of restaurant to choose from for lunch and dinner. Lone Pine Pizza is really good.

Mind blowing!

The campsites were clean and very well maintained. The staff was also friendly. I can’t wait to go back.

Yearly Camping Trip

Did not disappoint!! Everything was kept clean-restroom and showers included. LGBT friendly Dogs were also welcome at no additional charge! Campsites were by the river and easily accessible!

Clean and Friendly

Clean, friendly, and easy full hookup…clean facilities Dog Park Swimming pool Wendy&Mario

The views

Fabulous views of the rounded monolithic boulders fronting the Eastern Sierra. This is a large dispersed camping area with no facilities. Just the beauty and silence of the nature. The area was used, and still occasionally is, for the movie industry. You can even see the occasional jet fighter training here. Go see the Movie Museum in Lone Pine it’s worth it. The Reward Mine is near here and don’t forget to spend some time at Manzanar Japanese Internment Camp. We stayed here in May

Beautiful campground easy to get to from So. Cal.

Camped here August 16-18 2019. Arrived to 107 degrees but the ample trees and cool river made it enjoyable. We were there on a weekend and it was sold out. We stayed at sites 21&23, river front so that made it fantastic.

Other reviewers had warned of the bathrooms being awful and the camp host being mean. They were right about the bathrooms and so wrong about the host! He was super pleasant and friendly! The bathrooms are terrible though.

I would go back again but since I like to explore new campsites probably won’t.

On the river

Dry camping on the Kern River!  Has showers and is walking distance to Kernville park and town stores and restaurants.

This campground is known for the epic live music weekend parties and events!

It can get very packed and some spaces are way to close together.  If you can snag a river front spot, it’s great!

Not near the Kern River

This Campground is not near the river or the lake water. It does have a pool though!  LOL.

We were just glad we brought a vehicle so we could leave to explore the river and sequoia trees!

We did have shade and full hook up. There’s a water feature that sprays water in the air and a playground.  There was a store and laundry I think!  We really didn’t spend much time there.

I’ll never go back there only because I prefer to be on water.

The photos are not from the campground but these shots are some of what you can see in the area.

Amazing place to go with the Family

First of all this place is awesome. You can set up your tent in different locations around the camp. I usually set up mine in front of the creek. I love hearing the creek at night. This place always has people and RVs so I recommend coming during the week early morning to find a spot. Especially during hunting season it is always packed. If you hike across the street you will come across a small water slide and some monumental rocks with lots of history.

Great spot

Clean, quiet easy on and off HWY58. Sites are level the pool is clean, staff is awesome. Don't forget the oranges.

Best place to get away from the city!

First off this place is a bit hard to find, but there is a sign on the right and if you miss that sign then you probably won’t find this spot. Overall I recommend going super early because there is always neighbors around and the best spot is next to the big rocks which is a bit secluded from the other campgrounds. There is plenty of shade there unlike the other spots. I like camping here because you can just walk down to the river which is always enjoyable. We always catch great fish here trout, catfish, bass.

-Open year round.

-Reservations: First come first served. Free of charge.

-Permit Info: Campfire Permits required for campfires, barbeques, and camp stoves.

Best Season: Summer Busiest Season: Summer

Restrictions: Camping is permitted 25 feet away from waters edge.

Water: No Restroom: Portable Toilets

Large Grounds on the River

I gave a four star only because there are a lot of tent spots only and I really like some of them but they are reserved for tent only. There are sites on the river with hook ups except sewer, but that’s ok for us. There is also a large grass area they have for large parties like weddings and things. We go every year.

Best family campground

We stayed here June 2019 and absolutely loved it. We had site 80 which is back up right on the small Creek that runs right thru the middle of the grounds. The kids loved tubing down it all day. In front of us was the river. Gorgeous views. The grounds are very well maintained, they collect trash every morning, there is a small store inside the office in case you forgot anything. The town of Kerrville is a just a couple minutes up the road with little shops and things to do. This campground even offers activities for the whole family, movie night, bingo, even rock painting. This will be our go to campground every year.

Yearly camp

My family comes here every year. Staff around the area really friendly. The people that runs the desk they don’t seem so friendly but they try I guess. You will see them only one time on your stay so don’t let that big you. Awesome place to camp for sure.

Great Spot!

This site was awesome! My boyfriend and I stopped up here several times passing through. It’s a fantastic stop! The park is well maintained and is always problem free. I’ve never had problems with other spots, bathrooms, or even finding a spot. The view waking up is AMAZING and the sunset cresting the Eastern Sierra is always the best! 10/10 recommend!

Wonderful camp ground!

Right by the river! With amazing fishing. Tons! Of hiking trails, horseback riding for 30$ an hr! Trail head to the PCT

Ranger Review: Eclipse Adjustable Neck Gaiter @ Lone Pine CG (CA)

Campground Review:

This campground lies about 10 miles to the west of its namesake town, Lone Pine in the Owens Valley to the east of the Sierra Nevada range.  It is a very popular campground to use as a base camp for climbing Mt. Whitney especially if the Whitney Portal CG is full. which was the case when we were there.  If you can't get a reservation or walk in site at Lone Pine CG, then Tuttle Creek, and the Alabama Hills would be your closest places to camp if you're not planning on climbing Mt. Whitney.

Now on to the actual campground!  Now since this is a few miles from the actual trail head to Mt. Whitney it has more RV camping sites than tent sites.  Campsite range in price from $25-$65 for single tent sites, RV sites, and 1 group site, respectively.  Each campground has a large bear proof box to store all of your food and  smelly items in addition to a picnic table and a metal fire ring.  The campground had potable water spigots and vault toilets spread throughout.  You could also purchase firewood from the camp host, which is recommended due to the possibility of spreading pests.

To list all of the activities you can do in this area would take a book so I'm just gonna touch on some of the things we did!  Our main goal for the trip was to try and summit Mt. Whitney by the Mountaineers Route.  We got pushed back however due to hard route finding and soft avalanche prone snow.  We ended going around 10 miles but the regular hiking trail is 13 miles one way!  After getting beaten down by the mountain we were able to eat some great food at the Mt. Whitney Restaurant which had Americana and diner food.

Since we stayed at this campground in the middle of June the temperatures weren't too hot but I would really try to camp higher up at the portal if you plan on coming here in July or August as it could be really hot and there wasn't a ton of shade.  Also be doubly sure to book your campground ahead of time as I doubt there will be any sites if you show up after 3 or 4 without a reservation.

Product Review:

Being a Ranger for the Dyrt allows us to test and review gear from time to time!  This time we were testing out the Adjustable Neck Gaiter from Eclipse sun protection.  This was honestly one of my favorite pieces of gear I've been able to test for the Dyrt!

Pros:

• Simple design that replaces $100's of sunscreen in it's lifetime! (never washes out)
  • Is multi functional and can be used as a gaiter, headband, buff, and so much more!
  • Super lightweight and doesn't need to be reapplied or leave you greasy
  • It is super cheap and includes a Velcro strap to adjust to smaller neck

Cons:

• The only flaw I could find was the sewing along the neck was a little weak and I ripped it slightly before realizing I needed to be a little more delicate pulling it on

Other than that one con I would say this is an amazing product that helps keep you from spending 100's on a temporary sunblock and helps keep all those nasty chemicals out of nature, the waterways, and the oceans!  I definitely think we'll be trying out the sleeves for fishing as my fiances arms can get pretty burnt sometimes.

Secluded group site

Shady campsite for up to 50 people. Fire pit and pit toilets. Very small stream nearby. Scenic. Was not able to use tap water due to bacterial contamination.

Great little campground

Spent a very enjoyable 3 days at Belknap. Our site was between a creek and the river so we listened to water the whole time. So relaxing! Nice trails to explore. Husband caught a nice trout. There’s a decent swimming hole. Vault toilets. A few water spigots scattered throughout the campground. Camp host Dan keeps everything clean and is really nice too. My only negative is that there are no bear boxes. There was a bear in the campground our last night there. So put your food away at night.

A perfectly lovely campground

We spent four nights at the end of July in this beautiful campground in Sequoia National Forest. The entrance to the road which leads from Sherman Pass to the campground does not give a clear indication that there is, in fact, a campground at the end. It’s an old logging road which we had to take quite slowly in our Hyundai Sonata, but we were very glad that we did. There are several hikes which are accessible from the campground. The water is potable, but spring fed, so availability is dependent upon whether things have dried up for the season. The nearest supplies are an hour one-way and there is no cell or wifi anywhere nearby. The camp host, Wayne , has been hosting the campground for 20 years and does a great job. The campsites are a truly mixed bag. Some are spacious, shady, flat, and along a creek while others seem a bit more attractive to those who are part mountain goat and do not require level surfaces for any reason.😁. At 7,600 ft., the nights dropped into the forties. A welcome break from the southern CA heat. We will definitely be returning often!

Every time

This campground never lets me down. I’ve been here 3 times now, and every time I’ve encountered friendly faces, clean amenities and fun activities for everyone! From movie night to arts and crafts, you can explore the river or enjoy relaxing by the beach, it has something for everyone. Thank you Frandy!

Small and Quaint

We love this site, we’ve been 3 times now and site 2 is the best for us. Site 4-6 are a bit close together. You have a 1/2 mile drive on a dirt road and it can get pretty rutted from the winter rain/mud. Close to trail of 100 giants !

scenic and close to hiking trails, the visitor center, and market

This campground is definitely worth all 5 stars! The location is unbeatable, and the views are to die for. We stayed at site 144, which is right along the river! The river was high and boasting, which made great white noise for sleeping, as well as drowning out the sounds of other nearby campers - it gave us lots of privacy! While the campsites are sort of close to one another, we couldn't hear a thing they were saying, and we could have our music on without worrying about it disturbing our neighbors. Lots of places to hang a hammock if you are into lounging. There are a few hikes straight out of the campground if you don't want to travel far to get your adventure on, yet there is also a Shuttle stop right at the campground, which means you don't have to fight the crowds for a parking spot and can leave your car right at your campsite. Sequoia Nat'l park is pretty large, so having the market and visitor center within walking distance is also an added bonus. I recommend booking in advance, but if you aren't luucky enough to get a spot right away, keep watching the website! We actually kept daily tabs on in and were able to find a spot only a few months before, simply by watching for cancellations. Weather is great - only in the high 70's/low 80's for our July trip, and not too chilly at night - mid 50's to high 40's. The vast number of trees also provide shade at every camp site! This is much more comfortable than some of the other campgrounds that are lower in elevation in the area, which have much higher temperatures and amounts of sun exposure. I hope you get the chance to stay at Lodgepole! Strongly recommend the Alta Peak Trail high for experienced hikers, and the Commerce Trail for an easy high around lots of Sequoias (with less traffic than the General Sherman tree area). Happy exploring! :)

Wonderful campground

We stayed here a couple years ago. Had a wonderful time. There are several short hikes very close by as well as walking distance to the sequoia shuttle that can take you almost anywhere in the park for free. Plus the river goes through the middle of the campground so swimming is available. It’s a short walk to showers, market and a visitors center. Must make reservations 6 months in advance.

Great little campground

This is a wonderful campground I’m late fall to mid spring. Too hot in the summer. This is a very small campground and has several trail heads from it. It’s in sequoia national park but low in elevation, ~1500’. It’s pretty secluded and quite the times I’ve been there.