Sequoia National Forest, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Sequoia National Forest

Most Recent Sequoia National Forest Camping Reviews
The best views of Mt. Whitney!

I always wanted to visit the Alabama Hills and I was extremely excited when my wife and I first went. It was an awesome experience! The campsites are far away from each other, so no one feels crowded. From my experience, most of the campers were fairly quite as well. I didn’t see any running water or any other amenities, but it is really close to Lone Pine, CA if you need anything. The area also offers some really cool hikes and rock climbing if you’re interested! As a photographer, the site offered great views of Mt. Whitney and Mt. Williamson. I will definitely go back!!

Quiet and beautiful

Stayed here in January and were the only ones there. Bathrooms were locked. It’s only a 3 minute walk down to the river. Very nice, convenient and clean.

For an RV camp this is top-notch!

We got a spot right on one of the river branches, with a great mountain view. Park was relatively empty. The weather was unseasonably warm and sunny with cool nights. Nice, semi-grassy sites with fire-pits made from washing machine tubs(good idea!). Staff was friendly. Campground close to nice coffee shop--Sequoia Coffee Co; quaint little bar/deli--Totem Market; and nice restaurant with a great patio view right on the river--Gateway Lodge. Also close to small market and general store. Would definitely stay here again.

Quiet as kept. Nice scene. Good camp host.

I stopped here on my way back to Utah and I'm glad I stopped here on the way back.  If I take this route again going to Cali (where I usually go) I will stop here.  The campground is right off the highway and even though you can see cars going by, the traffic is light and the campground is far enough where it doesn't bother you at all.  Each site has a bush (in varying sizes) that provides some privacy, but the space between the spots is a plus as well.  I like it here; hopefully you will as well.

Unreal

We got a permit and camped here. Coldest night ive camped in a long time. The lake froze over but it was beautiful

Next to a small creek and secluded.

We stopped here after we found that all the sites along the Kern were full. It is just North of Johnsondale and just South of the National Forest. Easy driving access to Trail of a Thousand Giants, Moro Rock, and views of the Needles.

We camped out under the stars just after sundown and got up right after Sunrise. No one else camp out near our spot. The road is littered with turn offs for easy and free dispersed camping.

Closest bathrooms are either on the Trail of a Hundred Giants (there is a campground there too but it is closed in Winter) or down in Johnsondale.

Party Time

Camp 3 is a good location if you can book it quickly outside of the Summer months. We usually always camp here in May and since that is right before Memorial day when the campgrounds all open for the season it is usually pretty nice to be able to be in a quiet spot to hit the river and far enough away from town to be barely out of cell service but still close enough to hit up the brewery when you want.

There are pit toilets that are well maintained, the camp hosts work really hard to accommodate all people. This is one of the more covered campgrounds going up the river so if you want shade then this is the site for you.

The River next to the campground is also easily accessed and great for all levels of play.

There is group camping as well here. It is a bit more open and not as well shaded. There is also easy access to climbing routes on rock formations nearby and access to trails nearby.

Great dispersed option

This was a great place to crash for the night. We got in when it was getting dark but were able to easily find a spot to park our campervan. Beautiful sunrise view and close to Kernville to get breakfast and coffee if you want to.

Nice spot

Overall nice campgrounds. Was almost empty. You can hear jet boat noise from the adjacent lake from time to time. No WiFi but good Verizon LTE (25-30 Mbps) and decent AT&T 4G (10-15Mbps). They don’t take cash and the on-site reservation computer was not working so we had to book it online.

First Solo Trip

Was with a group of friends and being young we did come unprepared on a few cases but this was a great spot to settle on. Waters were quick but the few creeks around the area should be cared for, cleaned, and enjoyed on every opportunity possible. The trail across the road has beautiful scenery for those who respect it and has good space for those who can claim them first. Sandles are needed of course and bug spray is handy, and there’s a general store everyone stops at for gas and last minute necessities further down south on the road. A few secret places for those who know how to ask the right patrons.