the dyrt
Brussels, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Brussels Camping Reviews
First-come first-served sites available year-round

I was looking for a campground open in March to try to see the aurora (unsuccessful due to lack of auroral activity) and Point Beach fit the bill. Only a couple loops in the campground were open for winter, including sites 1-20 which are non-reservable year-round. These sites are close to the picnic area near the beach and lighthouse. Every site except the one I stayed at were still mostly snow-covered in late March. There was only one other group of campers the night I went, so it was nice, quiet and secluded. I imagine in warmer seasons it's a much more crowded, noisy campground.

Great campground!

We are seasonal and it’s a great relaxing campground! Owners are very friendly!!

Campground on Lake MI

This is the last Michigan State Park Campground as you are heading south and entering WI.

Beautiful views of the Lake looking east and south to Washington Island and Door County Peninsula. Nice stream and playground for kids to play in and on. Mostly grassy campsites so things get a little wet after heavy rains. Most sites have electricity and water.

Chute Pond is my favorite place in the world.

I’ve been going here every year since for at least 10 years. The campsites are perfect, and there’s so many fun things to do. They have a little footbridge to fish off of, a playground, and a nice beach. You can rent out kayaks and little boats. There’s lots of hiking trails. One trail leads to a scenic overlook and another leads to slippery rock. Slippery Rock is a waterfall from the river that you can actually slide down. They also have a rock you can jump off as well into water. Also there’s a big pond where you can boat and swim and there’s a sandbar too. I love this place so much I got a tattoo of the coordinates.

wooded get away

nice campground a lot like chute pond. nice sites all covered by trees. trails close by for short hikes.

shady trails

sites are nice, a lot of shade on most sites. some sites are harder to back into with long trailers. but over all sites have easy access. nice swimming area and hiking trails. slippery rock is a must see. fishing is also good for the outdoors men or women.

nice and quiet campground on the water.

some sites are low, so water flows to the site on rainy days. there are some trails you can walk, there is a ball diamond for kids and a small court for basketball. there is also some nice cabins and areas for tents. you can meet a lot of really nice people here.

Great park in Door County

Peninsula State Park is a huge state park with five campgrounds with over 400 sites (not including group sites) and it can be overwhelming trying to decide where to stay. Our decision was narrowed down somewhat because two of the campgrounds were closed for the season. We camped in South Nicolet along Nicolet Bay for two nights. Our first night was on the water but because heavy rains were forecasted, we relocated to another site closer to the bathrooms for the second night, putting up with the “hum” for a closer dash in the rain. There is so much to do in the park itself and Door County in general. However, we were here during the week in October so while the campground was quiet, bicycle and boat rentals were not available. Many great hiking trails. My only beef is that Wisconsin State parks charge more than many other states and, in general, facilities are not always as well maintained (bathrooms were a little dated and not the cleanest but sufficient for a campground). Still - this is a great place from which to explore Door County!

Wonderful campground with great activities

We spent one night overnight and had a wonderful time - relaxing, good clean water, family friendly, and plenty of activities.

Love Love Love

My family and I have been coming here for years!!!!! The campground is big and beautiful! Every campsite has a picnic table and fire pit; the Yurts and cabins have chairs. The Yurts, cabins, and bathrooms are clean! The staff is friendly! It is pet friendly. It is located near the water and has many trails to hike! Love this place, especially in October with the leaves changing and the festivals around town!!!!!

Slippery Rock!

I love this place I've been coming here since I was a very young child. My grandparents were from the town of Mountain. It will always have a nostalgic feel for me so it'll always receive five stars. But the last few times I've gone there people were taking so many panfish out of the lake at such small sizes it was hard to find large panfish like I remember as a child.

Ranger Review: RōM Pack at Devil's River Campers Park

Campground Review

Every year it seems there are changes at Devil's River. The campsite are still nice, though if you want privacy, there's not a lot. This is great for camping with friends or family. We usually have 4 sites with family over Labor Day weekend. This year they've added a deck off of the bathroom/shower building. It seems like it was almost done.

One night there was very loud partying at some of the seasonal campers sites. It was a bit obnoxious, but they were mostly quiet by 11pm. There were a lot of seasonal sites with Trump flags and I saw one Confederate flag…so interesting cross section of humanity.

One of the season campers had some giant inflatable climbing/bouncing things for the pond, so that kept the kids and some adults occupied. The same person also projected a movie in the new covered deck. He's a generous man, willing to share with the other campers.

We played cards and lawn games and Slammo and frisbee in all the open space and also swam in the pond. It was a great weekend, as always.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the RōM Pack from RōM Outdoors.

I'll be upfront and honest…this might be the most disappointing product I've tested for The Dyrt. It definitely isn't all bad, but the concept, in my opinion is a failure.

The RōM Pack is a convertible backpack that can unfold into a poncho or a blanket.

As a backpack…

What I like:

• It is stylish
  • The material quality is heavy duty

What I didn't like:

• It is very heavy…when empty
  • The main pocket isn't very large due to the excess material needed for the poncho/blanket

As a poncho…

What I like:

• It is a poncho

What I don't like

• The snaps don't stay snapped
  • It is too short in the front
  • It is too warm….it has a fleece lining
  • The hood is small
  • It looks a bit funny when you where it with the backpack straps and the flaps…I was laughed at by my family

As a blanket…it is great. It is warm, large enough and water resistant.

Overall, the concept doesn't seem practical. If I'm hiking and I expect rain, I'd pack a raincoat or a lightweight poncho to wear over my regular clothes. I'd dress for the weather. I'd never need a fleece lined poncho. I likely wouldn't need a blanket either…and if I did I could roll up a blanket and put it in a regular backpack.

The RōM Pack is also quite expensive at $120. The build quality is very good, but the execution and the concept are where it fails. The best "mode" is blanket mode, but I can recommend any number of cheaper blankets. I wanted to like this, but I'm afraid I can't recommend it.

Gorgeous views spacious sites

Amazing campground!

Potawatomi is a beautiful campground in Door County Wisconsin. Just a few miles south of Sturgeon Bay, right on the shores of Green Bay. The sites are very large and well placed at this campground. Lots of hiking trails and things to do within the park. A must see!!

Point Beach is an amazing campground

Point Beach campground is amazing. It is a well kept campground, very ckean, right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Sites are huge and not on too of each other. There are numerous trails within the park. Beautiful spot!!!

Beautiful and easy

Perfect and easy campground for novice campers

Hiking Adventure

This campsite on the south side of the park is a mile and a half hike in from the nearest parking lot. The trails are nice, sometimes wide enough to walk side by side. Lots of rocks and roots along the paths, so watch those feet and ankles.

The campsite was great (site 10), right on the shores of Lake Michigan, could easily walk to the water for drinking water, or to rinse and wash dishes. The shoreline is mostly rocks and pebbles. This site didn't have a lot of tree coverage for shade, or trees for placing a hammock.

In May there is an abundance of flies that were swirling around. Found out later these are seasonal "may flies" and they are everywhere. Spiders were also a bit of a surprise at this site, and the number webs that would pop up overnight on every trail we hiked.

All that aside, we hiked over 26 miles of trails at this park and everyone was beautiful. However we were slightly disappointed that there weren't more views of the lakes, as most of the trails were set in just far enough off the coast to obstruct all views. All the trails were well kept, marked and easy to follow.

Ranger Review: Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole at Point Beach

Campground Review

Growing up in Two Rivers, it is surprising that I never camped at Point Beach. I've only ever been there a few times, and never for camping. Overall, the campsites we were on were on the smaller side, but not too small. There was just enough privacy with the trees. You could hear the lake if you listened, you were very close.

The park is beautiful. The beach is very nice. It isn't a big swimming/volleyball beach like the nearby Neshotah Beach, but there is enough sand and space to find a spot and the swimming is fun. Nice big waves on the Great Lake.

There are some trails along the lake and some other hiking, but we spent most of our time at the beach relaxing.

The firewood for sale was bad, we had a hard time keeping it going. Most of the pit toilets in the park didn't have ventilation for the vault, resulting in very smelling restrooms. The flush toilet building was fine, though, and pretty central.

I'd definitely go back!

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole.

I've eat a fair number of Mountain House meals in the last few years and this one is near the top in taste. It tastes just like Thanksgiving. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. Mountain House meals aren't cheap, but if you can find this one on sale or just need something easy, definitely try this one. So good.

Stay away from ticks in May

Beautiful Lakes secluded areas and a crazy amount of ticks in May. This could be why we were the only people in our loop of the campground so early in the season. sprayed the entire site with Apple cider vinegar to try to keep the ticks off the dogs.I deal site is number 26. Lots of geocaches in the park to keep us busy.

Tons to do in Door County

This Campground in fish creek is in an ideal location. The wild tomato pizzeria is at the entrance to the park and a definite must stop. Went in October and did a door County ghost tour and walked around and looked at shops and had an amazing time At the door county fish boil. This is a must experience for everyone!!

would be a 5 with new bathrooms

Right On the bay of Green Bay that you can boat to with really nice large sites and lots of mature trees. Site of the Wisconsin camping Facebook get together.Ideal sites 30, 29 or 9

Door County Retreat

This Campground have a pool sauna but the lake is about 3 miles away

My favorite place

This Campground is on the Niagara escarpment and the best site is number 21. They have nice black top drives to park on nice large grills water and electric on every site and right on the Bay. The Beatles rocky but very nice sunset views

Good for young kids

This Campground has a very party Atmosphere. They have immature trees but has updated the plumbing and have built a new clubhouse. They have a trips to tube down the river the ideal site for us who likes a secluded area Is site number 44.

Good for a Packer PreSeason Game

This It’s a small campground south of Green Bay down the 41 freeway. The campground does not offer a ton of amenities. The campsites are very close together. This would be a good place to stay for a Packer preseason game or if you were going to be away from the campsite. We stayed at this one a few years ago so I do not have pictures but have it recorded In my camping diary.

wholesome family fun.

this campground is geared for family fun. several playgrounds are dotted throughout the campground and kids can be seen pedaling bikes around throughout the day. This is the first site I've been to with my teardrop camper and I plan on going back in the future.

childhood favorite

this was one of my favorite places growing up. beautiful river access.

Great location on Lake Michigan

We booked this campsite strictly on location and DNR review. We drove from south central Indiana, approximately 6.5 hours, hauling a pop-up camper. Arrived and we were greeted by park ranger. Got paperwork, asked about fishing, but the ranger was unable to answer any questions. She said go in town to Two Rivers. Got to our campsite and set up. Perfect location, secluded, but still close to the facilities. We quickly learned there is a mosquito problem and found the source. A nasty algie filled creek behind our campsite. Thankfully we had a mosquito net to keep us somewhat protected.

There are many different activities to do on site, hiking, bike riding, beach going, and relaxing. There was a storm while there. There was little to no cell service and we did not have an emergency radio.

If if I could provide a recommendation or two…mosquito control and WiFi throughout for emergencies.

Nicolet Bay campsites are EVERYTHING

The campground in general is pretty fantastic. However, there is a loop of campgrounds in Nicolet Bay that, if you are lucky enough to reserve them, better than any campsite in the state. The trails and beach offer something for everyone. We’ve camped here before kids and with kids, and were never bored.

Gorgeous hiking, lots of activities

This campground is the best of all worlds. Perfect opportunities to hike , Bike, kayak and much more! Located right outside fish creek, easy to hop into town to enjoy shops and local cherry orchards!