The best WALK IN camping near
Haneytown , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Haneytown Camping Reviews
Great place

Stayed for a night back in October and loved it. Originally planned on staying at one of the shenandoah campsites but nothing was available so in desperation I called this one the day before our trip. Pam was super sweet and helpful. She had no openings at that time but told me to call back first thing in the morning because she might have a cancelation. Sure enough she got us in. As we pulled into the property I was a little leary due to the check-in area where the family lives and the fact that the highway overpass goes across one end of the property, but once we pulled into our spot and got settled in it was fantastic. Located right on the bank of the creek you sleep with the sound of the babbling water. Spaces aren't very big but big enough that we didn't feel like we were on top of our neighbors. To sum it up, this is a great little place that is sort of a hidden gem. At first look you might keep driving but I assure you, you'll be missing something great.

Cozy campground along a creek flowing through the small town of Edinburg.

Restrooms were clean. We had water and 30A electricity. If you’re coming into town from I-81 don’t follow Google Maps to the left on Main St, but rather follow the signs to turn right– it makes for an easier access to the campground.

Great location!

This campground has full-hookup sites, tent-only sites, and some hip camp sites as well. We tent camped here in January at a full hook-up site so we could have heaters in the tent. During the summer we would definitely choose one of the tent only sites because they have more privacy and are more so in the trees. Site 23 is a pull-through site. It was super cold and windy (it snowed while we were there!) and being out in the open like that is not ideal but it was ok for what it was! We set up close to the electric outlets and didn't have any issues with that. This campground is so fun! There are trails in the campground a beautiful view of the mountains all around. It is really in the best location. You are in walking distance to Devils Backbone and Blue Frog Cidery and a short drive to Wintergreen Resort, awesome restaurants, amazing hiking, and so many places on the Brew Ridge Trail. I can guess that during the summer this place is probably very busy but in the middle of winter it was pretty quiet! The bathrooms are nice and new looking but really far away from the RV sites, so keep that in mind. Fire wood was available for a fee. Self check-in to the sites because of COVID and masks are required in bathrooms. Reservations required if you want to eat or drink at Devils Backbone Restaurant and Brewery :)

Bunnies everywhere!

Great campground with lots to do with the family. My kids loved all the bunnies, the river, pool and putt-putt. The one problem is the camper section is very tight, whereas the tent sites look more roomy.

Beautiful and wild

Me and my boyfriend stayed here during our road trip through VA, we stayed in late January. It was COLD, but I love a camping challenge. We got there in the dark and had no clue what we were walking into. The bathrooms were compostable toilets, the sites were beautifully maintained. On the way we got a personal call that the campground was quite flooded and they recommended different sites. When we woke up it was beautiful! We saw in the early morning a coyote and a great horned owl. We also saw many types of hawks, song birds, and eastern bluebirds! I was amazed by the sheer amount of wildlife. The cabins on the other hand, were breathtaking. They were absolutely beautiful with amazing views. I felt like I was in the midwest! I will 100% return to this campground to just enjoy the park instead of rushing out!

Nice little campground

No amenities other than a pit toilet and a gravel pad at each site. Not easy if you are pulling a trailer (I would not recommend that for any large trailers) but it was a nice place with awesome atv trails we’ll be going back

Quiet and a great getaway

I was the only one here on a Saturday night. Very quiet and it was great to have the place to myself. I took advantage of the trails in the morning. It was pretty muddy even though it was in the low 30s so wear applicable footwear. The stars were amazing! There was plenty of wood scattered about to use as firewood.

Only stayed one night due to complications with my cooking stove, but I'll be back.

Great campground!

We stayed here on the night of December 11, 2020. No problem finding a spot, campground was about half full when we got there around 4pm. The Primitive Camping spots were all taken however, so arrive early if you want one of those. Water and electrical available at all the spots even though it was winter. Bathrooms and showers were nearby and clean. No cell service but the Visitor’s Center has WiFi available. Lots of hiking and mtb trails, although we only did a bit of walking. Campground is maybe 100 yds from the Shenandoah River and it’s beautiful down there.

Great place, beautiful crystal clear lake

We stayed here December 10, 2020. The campground was closed for the winter, but we called ahead and they were fine with us staying in the parking area. No amenities, but we were in a Revel,so didn’t need anything anyway. We were completely alone there, which was pretty cool. The area closes completely (entrance gate is locked) from Dec 21 - May 1. The site was super clean and well maintained. Lots of hiking trails and a very easy one that loops around the Rockcliff Lake. Also be sure to take the short walk to the Trout Pond. More crystal clear water, and the pond is an active sinkhole, so that’s pretty cool. And the Lake is socked with trout (license required) during the regular season for those who want to fish.

What more do you need ..

Traveling south during the Covid pandemic, we were looking for a place to rest for the night where we could be safe. Downey meadow is set up with self check in , a clean and convenient toilet, power and water hook up out in a large field. There are beautiful roads to walk if that is what you like. And the price is right !