Richmond, VIRGINIA

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Richmond Camping Reviews
Great first stay at the Center of the Universe!

This was our 1st stay in our brand new RV, and the staff was great with all our questions. The section we stayed in was winterized so we had a spot in the woods all to ourselves, which was magical. The bath house was clean and the showers were hot. One fun surprise, Ashland is referred to as "the center of the universe" by its residents. Being big astronomy buffs, we felt we pick the perfect place for our first experience 🌌

Friendly Family Owned Campground

Awesome campground right off 95 very clean excellent people family owned

Community Campground Close to the Lake and is Peaceful

The main attraction for this campground is, obviously, the lake. It is a place where people can fish, boat, canoe/kayak, etc. My favorite thing to do is put my kayak in the water and paddle around no matter what season it is. I have stayed at this campground numerous times with my son, grandson, and/or his family. The sites are fairly level, although some do have a slight slope. There is no water or electricity at any of the sites, but there are fire rings. Some of the sites have a standing grill and a picnic table. There is plenty of shade, and many of the trees are close enough that I can stretch out my hammock for an afternoon siesta. The sites are grassy, and the road is gravel. Depending on where you choose your site, the bath house is a short distance away. My grandson loves camping there because of the playground, and for dog lovers, there is a fenced dog walk. Sometimes, you can find wood where the local residents cut their trees and shrubbery and drop it off adjacent to the campground. Otherwise, you need to take your own wood for a fire. However, every time I have been there, including this time, we were able to find plenty of wood for a campfire. Since the campground closes during the winter, the bath house is not heated, but the showers do have hot water. There are electrical outlets as well in case you need to plug in a blow dryer or electric razor. The last time we stayed here, only my son and grandson were with me, and we sat around the campfire just enjoying the occasional sounds of geese and the regular sounds of tree frogs and crickets. The only other distractions are a few cars passing by along the road, but that diminishes significantly after about ten or eleven o’clock. For children, another fun thing to do is to play in the spillway, which is also part of the road. The embankment dam and spillway are only a few steps from the campground, and there is a place to launch your canoe or kayak. The boat ramp is farther away into the neighborhood. This campground has ten sites and is by reservation only for its over 4,200 residents and their friends and family. Overall, I enjoy staying at this campground because it is a quiet setting when you just want to get outdoors.

Summer camping at Chippokes

Love this park. Lots of biting flies and mosquitoes during the summer! The left loop sites are a good size but not much shade or privacy. I would definitely stay in the right loop area next time for tent camping. Newer bathrooms and showers. Pretty basic camping setup with fire ring and picnic table.

We love the pool in the summer! Free pool passes when you camp there. It has never been too crowded for us. The plantation area is pretty cool with a farming equipment museum and  farm animals. Great playgrounds for the kids. Love the hiking trails here and hunting for fossils at the beach.

Overall, not a bad experience, just bring your bug spray and sunscreen!

A great day-use park!

This is one of the few Virginia State Parks that does not have camping. Nevertheless, it is definitely worth a visit! The hike to Fossil Beach to search for fossils is a must. Kayaking and canoeing is available as well. The views of the York River are amazing!

Nice and quiet.

Nice location. Next to King’s Dominion.

Closed

Closed for at least past 10 years

Great location

Just recently stayed here during a weekend getaway to Kings Dominion. Nice and peaceful campground from what I could tell. Did not go through entire park during this stay. Clean grounds and nice shower houses. Friendly staff in the check in center. One convenient option that comes with staying is they have a shuttle service to the amusement park that runs by roughly every 25-30 mins. They even run until 12-1 in the morning for those who plan to do the Haunt the park has during the Fall/Halloween season. Not close to a lot of restaurants but within 10 miles of a nice selection of stores/restaurants

Awesome place!

We have stayed her several times now. Very nice place. Peaceful and quiet. Hiking, canoeing or kayaking, fishing. Will definitely be back.

Great quiet place

Stayed here for a weekend. Excellent bathhouse! Nice size sites with lots of shade. Not much for kids to do once the pool closes, but still a nice place to stay.