Richmond, VIRGINIA

Most Recent Richmond Camping Reviews
Nice and quiet.

Nice location. Next to King’s Dominion.

Closed

Closed for at least past 10 years

Great location

Just recently stayed here during a weekend getaway to Kings Dominion. Nice and peaceful campground from what I could tell. Did not go through entire park during this stay. Clean grounds and nice shower houses. Friendly staff in the check in center. One convenient option that comes with staying is they have a shuttle service to the amusement park that runs by roughly every 25-30 mins. They even run until 12-1 in the morning for those who plan to do the Haunt the park has during the Fall/Halloween season. Not close to a lot of restaurants but within 10 miles of a nice selection of stores/restaurants

Awesome place!

We have stayed her several times now. Very nice place. Peaceful and quiet. Hiking, canoeing or kayaking, fishing. Will definitely be back.

Great quiet place

Stayed here for a weekend. Excellent bathhouse! Nice size sites with lots of shade. Not much for kids to do once the pool closes, but still a nice place to stay.

Overnight

We came here because it’s about an hour-and-a-half from home, perfect for an overnight. The photo on the website of our particular site was very deceptive. It looked way more secluded and wooded than it actually was, but it was decent.

Acorn Loop has lake-front sites that I would highly recommend. Sites 4-12 are the best, with #11 being the best best: it’s right on the water but also kind of tucked away a bit. #13 is smack in the middle of the loop, I personally wouldn’t want that site. The sites at the top of the hill, A1, A2, A3, and A15 are right on the road, but there wasn’t much traffic in this particular loop, so it didn’t bother us. A1, A2, and A3 will have people walking by a lot for the bathhouses. I don’t think every loop has one.

The lake itself is very pretty, 40 acres and manmade. We brought innertubes and just floated but we saw people fishing, kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle boarding, and paddle boating. There were lots of people fishing, and someone got a catfish and kept it for dinner. 🎣

We drove around and checked out the cabin sites. These cabins are HUGE and really beautiful. They look like they could accommodate over 12 people. There’s also a meeting space/hall that you can book…. would be a great place for reunions, receptions, etc.

Primus CampFire Pot S/S 3L

Last month I received a $50 gift card to Primus Stoves (thanks to Dyrt!) and I got myself this pretty little pot. It’s the 3L stainless steel pot/colander and is a perfect addition to my camping bag 🥣 The handle locks in place which is awesome, especially when you are stashing leftovers in the cooler. It’s also designed to be suspended if needed.

Tonight we made a one-pot meal: spicy chorizo from Pink House Farm, rice and onions, and seasonal veggies (okra, pattypan squash, tomatoes, green peppers) from Phantom Hill Farm.

Great for kayaking and fishing

Definitely recommend following the river inland and kayaking through the marshland

Love!

Great amenities. We went in march during a hot weekend and were surprised how cool it was - a great breeze goes through the camp. Loved getting ice cream and playing in the splash pad and pool. Fun paths to hike and coffee in the morning with deer-friends around. Will return with some non-camping friends who will enjoy the cabins or yurts!

One night, more to explore

Would totally go back. We camped one night after picking up a new camper. Great looking water park for kiddos.

Sites were not level which we weren’t completely prepared for. We made do.

Parents camp there often and love it.

Clean and very helpful

We used this campground to do our shakedown with our new travel trailer. We let them know we were newbies and they were most accommodating! A staff member lead us to our site and stayed to help us set up and was most knowledgeable. Was able to answer many questions we had and made sure we set up and got all connected correctly. Swimming pool was awesome with lites and fountains. Free waffle breakfast every morning. Level sites. And clean, very clean. The only negative comments would be it’s right up against interstate 95 so it’s a constant drone of traffic. And the sites are one right after the other. No real privacy. However, there is not much in the way of camping here in the Richmond area so we appreciated its location and the fabulous friendly staff!

A short stay campground

We needed a place just for the night so it worked out, but I wouldn't choose to stay for any length of time. Thats partly because we like campgrounds that are more woodsy and don't have cement slab sites. It was very clean, with plenty of available trash barrels and very clean bathrooms. There was a train somewhere nearby which will wake up a light sleeper. We were surprised that the pool was 1/2 empty and had dirty water. They did have shuttle service to the nearby amusement park.

A short stay campground

Beautiful Central VA Park

I’ve never camped here, but I took a group of elementary school kids here several years ago on their first canoeing trip and really enjoyed this park, which is a really good day trip option for anyone living in Central VA.

Beautiful Bear Creek Lake!

We had a fun camping trip at Bear Creek Lake! We chose a reservable waterview site (#18) and I'm glad we got the one we did! It is not directly on the water, there is a fence around the site and then a short walk to the water. I'm glad we had the beautiful view of the lake while camping, but didn't have to stress about the kids getting in the water the whole time. Note that there is a hiking trail and fishing spot right behind the fence, so people were walking by all the time, but it wasn't too disruptive. The bathrooms are about a 2 minute walk from the site. There is a shortcut through the woods across the street.

There is a great swimming area with a little kids area that was so fun! We did a hike around the whole lake, lots of great views. Looks like it would be awesome for fishing as well!

Just worth a mention that my kids came back with poison ivy everywhere, so watch out for that!

Great family campground

We stayed in Sycamore 09. The site was clean and level. No fire pit or grill, so plan ahead. We went the last weekend the pool was open, which wasn’t crowded at all. Casino night was a blast! Overall a family friendly place with plenty for the kids to do!

November VAC 2017

New to this site! Had a great time staying here, very peaceful and quiet, stayed in a cabin for one full week, plenty of exploring to do with the dogs. Toured the mansion and also Bacon’s Castle which is not far away, and road on the Ferry visiting Williamsburg. Definitely a great place to camp and get away for awhile!

We made it work

To be fair, I only went the once but wasn’t impressed. The site was so tiny - barely large enough for my friend and I to each park and set up a tent. We were super close to the road and dump station, so avoid that site (I don’t recall the number). There was also very little privacy between neighboring sites. No established fire ring or fire area. We asked the store attendant if we could just build a fire ring with rocks and he said that was fine. It’s the only time I’ve ever seen a site like this haha. The small beach area is nice enough, but it is tiny. Would definitely recommend Lake Anna State Park over this one; they aren’t too far apart.

Great for families

They do an awesome job for 4th of July! Sites are spaced ok, I like a little larger spots. These are typical size for private campgrounds. They have bike trails, fishing pond and swimming pool.

Great place to go with kids

Great park with SO much to do. The hike down to the river isn’t bad, my 2 year old did it. The River bank is known for a great place to find shark teeth and fossils. Though, there was also a decent amount of trash. There are several play grounds, tours of the mansions, swimming pool, and a tractor museum. So much fun!

Great place to go with kids

WOW

What can l say but WOW this is a beautifully put together place and l will definitely be staying here again

August camping trip

Had a great time camping trip from Wed. Thru Sunday . Went to Carter's orchard near Charletville.

Paddling 🛶

Love paddling around this park. Nice sites, well-maintained, close to Lake Anna Winery, Lake Anna Tap House, and Vito’s Pizza (among other things).

Pocohontas Pretty

The sites are gravel, spacious, and private in the newer section of the campground. There is a very nice “water park” type pool for kids (and adults) of all ages. We have enjoyed the hiking and biking trails a lot.  The park has lots of places to go fishing on the water or on shore.  We bring the canoe and kayaks for the lake, but you can rent a wide variety of boats, canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards.

Average

Pretty run of the mill campground, convenient location close to Richmond. Got up early and checked out the fine arts museum and some of the old buildings, theres even a castle hidden in town (now privately owned). Suited my needs just fine, will stop in again if i need a place to stay!

Very secluded (Permit required..?)

Stayed here a night after heading to Williamsburg and jamestown, at the end of the road is a boat launch into the river and just before are the camp sites. Not very well marked just pull off and park in the grass onside of the road, mostly rvs here. I found a really nice spot in the woods though on the other side of the road, if you go all the way down to the boat launch and turn around heading back the way you came, there will be a site on your left hand side that has an amazing view just one site about a quarter mile through the woods and you have your own little spot! Other than that you're camping in a grass field basically no fire rings or picnic benches. Looks like an area kids come to on the weekends, there was a small camp with a trash bucket someone had brought out and sadly, freshly downed tree saplings. The view here though was unbelievable! WMA wildlife management area's require a permit, but i only stayed one night everything was just fine.

Nice and quite

Nice camping great place for a good weekend

Great place

This was our second year….we will return next year! Fantastic place one of our top places to camp. Our son still talks about the cardboard boat races from last season! Always clean, pool complex is great, playgrounds are a hit with our son. Sweet Justice played this year on the Saturday we were there….phenomenal band….we had an awesome time. Cant wait to go back!

Very nice campground

The cabin we stayed in was very nice. It had a very large back deck with a picnic table. We chose one without a bathroom, and the bathhouse was a very short walk. They have plenty of recreational activities for the kids. The staff was friendly and helpful. The playgrounds and pool were very clean, and the store had everything we needed. It is a very short drive off the highway and an easy commute to all of Williamsburg’s attractions. My only complaint is that my dogs typically travel everywhere with me, but I was not allowed to bring them on this trip because pit bulls are the ONLY breed they don’t allow on the campgrounds. However, if you have other breeds there is a very small dog park for them to run around and play. Other than that we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay at other KOAs when the dogs are not with us.