Equestrian
About Shenandoah National Park Dispersed Sites

All sites are within 5-8 miles of Skyline Drive, starting from mile 21 in the North District. All are near creeks (runs) and completely undeveloped. Check with the Visitor Center for permits and camping regulations within the park. Many, but not all trails, allow dogs.

Hike In
Shenandoah National Park Dispersed Sites is located in Virginia
11 Reviews of Shenandoah National Park Dispersed Sites
Very spacious!

Happy accident that we were able to stay at the park on a weekend. We drove up and they had availability. Nice & clean and it wasn’t crowded when we were there. No electric or water on our site. So it was pretty rustic camping.

Absolutely stunning

Incredible views and worth the trip.

🏕🐻

Be mindful of bears! If you’re going to invest in a portable bear box for your food, check out http://igbconline.org/certified-products-list/.

There are especially so many incredible hikes on Skyline Drive! I recommend the AllTrails app to search by distance, difficulty, views/waterfalls, etc. I’ve included photos of some of my favorite hikes in the park.

Have mixed feelings about the sight

Found this from a different platform. There it's called South Fork Shenandoah River. 38.769895, -78.394634

I have mixed feelings about this place. Yes it is beautiful, and for the most part quiet. There is a campground across the water a d the sounds do carry. You'll here gunshots as hunting is ok in the area. You still get traffic noise, you'll know when someone is getting too far out of the right lane.

Airport is too close so plenty of light pollution to block out the true beauty of the night sky.

There are about 5 campsites, one was reclaimed by Mother Nature. But you can still find a bench right in front of a fire pit. There could be more past the boat ramp, but didnt bother to go there didnt ant to end up on the 6 o clock news since there was a tent down that way.

Have two toilets that are pretty gross and I dont think Im tall enough to squat over that composting toilet.

2 deers came to visit us at night. Killed a cottonmouth buried it since I didnt know how to properly cook and eat it. Saw Momma and two baby black bears.

Verizon gets no service whatsoever not even the hotspot.

Yellow flies and mosquitos are bad out there.

No upkeep of the area.during my 10 day stay did not see a single ranger, but did see a cop that only came out in response to a 911 call from a now disconnected phone.Locals will party here and leave their traces. One ever put a candle in a tree and almost made it catch on fireballs they will also try to bully you and lie to your face for their favorite spot.

Big thing to note is that the locals will hog up the sites sometimes coming out at least a week in advance to set up a tent. One guy was smart enough to hang a barely used trash bag from a tree to make it seem like the site was being used.

Would I stay here again? Yes and no. Might be better once its cooler, during the week, and if there's no major holiday within a week of when you plan on going.

Beautiful views, well-maintained trails, variety of amenities

I recently led a large group of Scouts to the Mathews Arm Campground in SNP. We spread out over 4 RV/camper/tent sites as our base camp. There was definitely a lot less privacy/space between sites here at SNP than I’ve noted at other parks across Virginia. I suppose it’s because it’s a national park, with a big draw and higher volume of visitors. The roads were well-marked and paved nicely. The bathrooms were okay, I’ve been in better-maintained/cleaned ones and worse ones, so I’m not going to complain. They were quite prevalent though. The staff that circulate around the park were quite friendly! We had a lovely hike to a nearby waterfall that was gorgeous. We even took a group out hiking across the AT and did some backcountry camping. I was impressed by how well-maintained the trails were! We had a really nice time and I look forward to returning again soon. I will note that our original reservation was for the Southern Section, but because of the winter storms, there was a lot of storm damage which caused them to close down quite a bit of Skyline Drive and they automatically shifted our reservation (with the option to cancel) to the Northern Section of the SNP. So, we didn’t hike what we expected to, but we still had a nice time, regardless. Plus, a couple days before our trip they did open the Southern Section, but we left our reservations and plans alone.

Old Rag Mountain

I absolutly love this national park! The facility is clean, trails are well marked and there are plenty of different day hikes and camping grounds. My favorite is Old Rag Mountain. It is a pretty decent hike that requires a good amount of climbing and has great views at the top. There is a bathroom on the back end of the trail but it was a little dirty. Parking is a struggle sometimes as it is a good 1 miles hike to the trail head. There is a 10$ entrance fee per person. Overall a great day hike and a great national park. Highly recommend this

Beautiful!

Amazing views! On this prticular trip, we witnessed a cub get hit by a car and it took over and hour to find a ranger. we felt so bad for Mom and baby.

Magestic Mountains

The Shenandoah mountains and the NPS's campgrounds never get old. They always offer a unique experience offering several campgrounds giving different experiences each time. They also offer camping for backwoods camping. It is suitable for novice campers to experienced off-trail campers. You'll never tire of the wonders this beautiful piece of America has to offer.

Backcountry camping

These sites are backcountry meaning they are not established sites. You just wander down the trail and pick your favorite spot with consideration to not disturbing as much nature as possibe. I got to sleep listening to a river all night. It is also convenient since most places are not far from the trails.

Great backpacking

There are so many trails to hike throughout the park and with a backcountry permit, you can find countless campsites. I stayed in the area of overall run falls. Make sure to hang your food. There are plenty of black bears in the area.