About Rappahannock River Campgrounds
Contact
Rappahannock River Campgrounds is located in Virginia
4 Reviews of Rappahannock River Campgrounds
Rustic at its best

Very primitive, tent only camping. Nothing near it and very private. An awesome place to relax!

Awesome campout trip

We decided to have a guys weekend so my uncle, cousin, and I decided to head out to Rappahannock. We had an awesome sized campsite (I believe it was #9), and we had a blast.

Off the beaten path NOVA campground

I spoke with Steve, the owner for the past 20 years, and this campground has some significant history that goes along with it including the river facing campground used as a crossing point during the civil war. He specifically mentioned that Custer came through for which Steve has documented in a book he wrote about his 50 acre estate.

The area of the campground is deep in the woods with the only audible intrusion coming from the infrequent airplane or helicopter passing by.

I slept in campground 37 which is in the area closest to the river. There are some other sites (1-15) that are further up the hill. The river side campground has sites that line the perimeter of a large oval opening in the trees near the water. Some sites are wooded (37 was the most wooded with the ability to handle a few tents) with half of the sites along the river bank.

In general, you are open to the other sites which is not my cup of tea, hence I selected site 37. If this were a big group outing, then I think I'd prefer to hangout closer to everyone else especially since the stargazing through the hole in the trees was very nice.

The bathrooms are more like outhouses and the showers are a drive from the campground. Steve said the showers had hot water from propane, but I stayed overnight only and didn't try them out.

I purchased 10 large pieces of wood for $5 which is a way better deal than any of the places where I live and a few more pieces than the national parks/state parks offer for that price. That was nice burning the fire late into the night.

The area is quiet and a nice drive from local worries and stresses.

absolutely adore this place

Used to go with family and miss it dearly. PLanning on starting regular trips with friends now. Amaazing and cheap way for a weekend of floating down the river.