The best WALK IN camping near
Heistersburg , PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Heistersburg Camping Reviews
Nice campground, kind of far from trails and attractions

Stayed at the Kentuck campground just outside of the town. The campsites are nice. Adequate room, clean bathrooms, and overall a good campground. For us, it wasn't within hiking distance from the main attractions or hiking trails. The campsite sits on top of a long hill with really no room to walk on the road so you have to drive everywhere. Other than that, nothing to complain about.

Puts more 'camp" in camping

This is a no frill camp area that actually feels like a campground instead of a resort.  Not great swim areas, but one can jump in the river to cool off.  Lots of bugs…but thats the Mid Atlantic.  It was a good time away from the city.

Very busy

Nice destination spot if you have children.  A great swim area where mom can relax while kids play.  Campground well maintained.  Great showers.  Very high traffic during the summer.

OK, but not real camping by West Coast standards

Nice, crowded.  Grandkids had fun.  Lake was nice to cool off in.  Not a place I would do again.

Small campground suitable for family car camping

New Germany State Park is a pleasant location with a small lake for swimming and kayaking, as well as numerous trails in the wooded mountains of western Maryland. Supplies are available in Frostburg and Accident, and there are even restaurants available near Deep Creek Lake. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed a long weekend and found it conducive to relaxing and discussing his future plans.

Beautiful and peaceful. Worth the drive!

Site Details: We stayed on site#40 in the Garrett Loop. It is one of only three FHU sites in this loop(the rest are primitive tent sites). The site was level, spacious, beautifully shaded, and convenient to the bath house. In fact, almost every site on the inside of the loop had its own little direct pathway to the bath house. The camping loop in general was beautiful, quiet and heavily forested. I don’t think there was a bad site in the whole loop.

Facilities/Overall Park: This park very quickly rose to the top of our list of MD state parks. The trails to the namesake falls are beautiful and very family-friendly, with lots of helpful signage. However, the parking lots and trailheads were PACKED on the weekend, so if you’re a day tripper, get there early! The bath house was meh, but it didn’t matter much to us since we had hookups.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: The neighboring sister park, Herrington Manor, has full-service deluxe cabins and a nice swimming beach. Also, be sure to hit the nearby Rock Maze trail, especially if you have kids. Swallow Falls is also very convenient to the Deep Creek area, with all the touristy things of a lakeside resort town. Check out Lakeside Creamery for some awesome ice cream!

Overall, this was a gorgeous, well-maintained park, with plenty to keep us busy in the park and surrounding area. We already have a return trip booked for next year!

Great Snow Hike

Got out for a couple hours hiking in the snow. It was great. Just what we needed to stretch the legs and enjoy some family time. We did the Palomino Loop.  It also was quite interesting getting to the trail. Some nice snow covered back roads.

LHHT

Oh the LHHT. What can I say. You are beautiful. And a beast. And breathtaking. Rafting in the yough is lovely as well. Such a fun area!

My go-to

This is my absolutely favorite go-to weekend exploration spot. She never looks the same, and every season has a new vista to offer

Nice stop on your way somewhere

Very nice folks when you check in and large general store/laundry facility. It is a great launching pad if you would like to do things in the area. The campground hosted a gigantic bonfire the night we were there which was a sight! The sites are pretty close together and we couldn’t use our fire ring because it ended up being very close to our rig. Luckily we camped with friends who had more space in their spot (the end spot near the lake has to be the best spot in the place). I couldn’t get it level with my Anderson levelers it was pretty slopped. On my way out I heard they were having someone come in to level the sites so I imagine it was just the time of year we visited.