About Raccoon Creek State Park
Raccoon Creek State Park is located in Pennsylvania
21 Reviews of Raccoon Creek State Park
Family Fun at this beautiful campground!

My family and I love Raccoon Creek State Park! It's beautiful and has everything you need for a great trip! Well maintained park with tons of stuff to do. They make sure the lake is readily stocked with fish. If your up for it I recommend the trails also. The wild flower reservation also has great trails.They have affordable boat rentals and the beach area is a nice spot to spend a day to relax. Camping is also great here. I've camped with my family several times with no complaints. The park rangers are also extremely helpful and very clear with the rules they want you to follow. Great fun for anyone!Lovely picnic areas. The bathrooms weren't the cleanest but I've seen worse! There were a lot of loud campers late at night(way after 11, even beyond as late as 12:30 am). Other than that, great!

Have to find the right camp spot

Went to Raccoon Creek State Park to camp for Labor Day weekend. We booked campsite F1 since we had 2 dogs and the F loop allowed dogs. This site was great! We could fit two tents and it was nice and secluded from the other sites. I recommend booking a site that is on the outside of the “loops” if you want some seclusion. The inner loop sites are right on top of each other, good for Rvs, not so much for tent camping. The bathrooms were a little bit of a hike, the next loop over, but they where clean and had flush toilets and running water along with a shower and sinks to wash dishes. There was a place to get water across from this site which was very convenient . The dog walking trails weren’t bad, but they where very up and down hill, at points steep and rocky. The spring was a really cool hike (right off the park office parking lot.) Down by the beach they had a place to buy wood, only $5 a bundle and the beach place also sells bags of ice. Overall a really good family campground!

Would definitely go back

Backpacking campground is nice. Trails are well maintained. Beautiful place. Frankfort mineral springs is amazing!

Not private for tent camping

I have been to Raccoon Creek many times as it is one of the closest camping places to the Pittsburgh metro area.  The park it self is large, has over 40 miles of trails, a fantastic backpacking loop setup for beginners, and a nice lake for swimming, fishing, ect.  I would give the park as a whole a 5/5 but for tent camping the campground is mediocre.  It is a really large campground with lots of adjoining loops.  We stayed in the tent loop at the back of the campground.  The area is not wooded at all and most sites look right into the sites next to them.  If you are like me and crave privacy, avoid.  The bathroom was rather dirty also.  There is a trail that leads down from the tent loop to the beach which is cool but very very steep (not for too young or old).  Overall, if you are looking to stay in a camp in this park I'd suggest doing the backpacking loop instead.  Grab your permit at the park office, park at the heritage trail lot in the southern end of the park and hike to the Pioneer shelter.  Sites 4 and 5 are amazing.  Note though that the Pioneer site does not have water so you will need to filter water from a stream on the way, though there are many opportunities.  The Sioux site is overgrown and is not worth backpacking to, though it does have a water pump and is close to the park office.

Wilderness getaway

Very nice park with secluded sites. Clean restrooms and showers. Best fishing around. We visit this place often.

Great for families

We stayed at a site that was right next to the playground. The kids meet a few new friends and we enjoyed them laughing and playing. The site itself was great big enough for what we needed. Water was close and so was the bathroom. It’s close to the airport so planes would fly over head (pretty high). If that’s not your thing then you might not like the noise but me and the kids loved it. We will definitely go back.

Close to Pittsburgh and the pavilion

Great campground. Can get busy on the weekends, but there is pletty of space between spots.

Not really RV friendly

They have some spots for small trailers, but we’ve only ever been able to tent there. Nice clean facilities, plenty of hiking, fishing and swimming.

Great Family campground

Lots of Racoons. Great lake for swimming and fishing. Trails are nice. Bathrooms are clean

First time camping on a tent

I had the most wonderful time on my first tent camping at Racoon Creek. We made a fire, hiked by the moonlight and swam at the warm lake at night. There were other campers around but we rarely noticed them and only when walking to restrooms at the daylight. I will be back soon