the dyrt
About Raccoon Creek State Park
Raccoon Creek State Park is located in Pennsylvania
13 Reviews of Raccoon Creek State Park
Great Family campground

Lots of Racoons. Great lake for swimming and fishing. Trails are nice. Bathrooms are clean

First time camping on a tent

I had the most wonderful time on my first tent camping at Racoon Creek. We made a fire, hiked by the moonlight and swam at the warm lake at night. There were other campers around but we rarely noticed them and only when walking to restrooms at the daylight. I will be back soon

Wildlife and lake views

We stayed at Raccoon Creek State Park while attending a wedding near Pittsburgh, as it was one of the closest campgrounds. We really enjoyed our stay. There were water spigots very near the campsite, as well as a very nice camp host who was great to have conversation with. The showers might scald you, though, so be careful! We had a great time exploring the trails and biking around the park, but be prepared for plenty of hills. We stayed here for a week and really enjoyed our stay.

Very beautiful, secluded area!

I enjoyed my stay at this park. We had a tent site for the weekend. It was a beautiful area and I really enjoyed exploring. Looking forward to going back soon!

Primitive Stay

We stayed at a primitive site for a couple nights. We enjoyed the seclusion and all the nature surrounding us.

quiet place

near good fishing lake and hikeing trail need a little improvement but not bad

Great outdoor getaway from the city life!

I started camping at Raccoon back in the 60's as a little person with my family. Hadn't been for several decades, but finally got back with my husband and cats the past couple of years. Great park ony a 1/2 hour outside of Pittsburgh. The campground has something for everyone - RV sites with electric (although I wouldn't recommend bringing your 40' rig…sites can be a tad on the smaller side) or secluded sites just for tenting. Restrooms are clean and well maintained. Two loops allow pets F and B, but only some sites in F have electric, so be sure to check if that is what you need. There are many hiking trails that are not too strenuous or you can take a 10 mile trip around the lake. Lots of birds for viewing, particularly near the beach. You can put in your kayak or fish on the shore at the fairly large lake. Boats do require a launch pass which you can obtain from the park office. And don't miss the Wildflower Preserve if you are there in May or late summer! Great place to take the family and relax in nature!

We had an amazing time!

We had a great spot here! The restrooms and showers were very clean. Loved the stay and view!

Nice Plan B...when You Can't Get to Ohiopyle...

Raccoon Creek is half an hour from Pittsburgh, and it's a big park with lots to discover. In addition to 7,000+ acres of woods, Raccoon has pretty much anything a camper could want: good scenery; a nice little lake with a beach and concession stand (in summer); more than 20 miles of trails; a backpacking loop with primitive camping and Adirondack shelters; picnic areas; cabins; fishing; hunting in the late fall; a canoe rental shop… The campground is enormous and has all different kinds of campsites--sunny, wooded, solitary, tightly packed, dog-friendly, dog-free. It's even got a few dismal little sites that are open year-round, except that the road to them may be snowed over in winter. Make sure you check out the online map and reserve a good campsite in advance, because a lot of them are crowded too close together. Raccoon is great, a fun, woodsy place. It gets really crowded and doesn't exactly have the wilderness feel that I like. Hiking here is more like "taking a walk in the woods," which is better than no walk in the woods. Raccoon is the # 1 "go-to" for Pittsburghers who don't pre-book at Ohiopyle or some wilder place in time for Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend.

Memorial Day

Long holiday weekend trip. Love this park. Designated pet areas, flush toilets and shower house available. Plenty of trails.