About Tygart Lake State Park

This recreation area is part of Tygart Lake

Tygart Lake State Park is located in West Virginia
5 Reviews of Tygart Lake State Park
Nice Campground with Lake Access

My girlfriend and I stayed at tent site 21 July 26th and 27th and was a good experience overall. We both agreed that we will only camp there if this particular site is open though. It is the tent site with the most privacy and it is the only one on that side of the road which made it nice. Along with the privacy it is also was right beside a trail that went directly to the lake but it is about 200 yards downhill. We took our kayaks along but opted to drive to the boat launch instead of carrying our kayaks down the trail. It is an option though. The park staff was very friendly and the bath house was pretty clean. Our only complaint is that some of the other campers where throwing food in the woods which attracted raccoons but that isn't the campgrounds fault.

Lakeside Retreat

This campground is located in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, so the scenery is  spectacular.  The campground has 36 sites, 10 with electric and 26 standard sites for RV or tent camping.  You also have the  option to rent one of eleven cabins, or a room at the lodge which as great views of the lake.  The campground closes in the late fall, but some cabins, and the lodge, are open year-round.

The main attraction is Tygart Lake which is ten-miles long, so it's good for boating, swimming, fishing, kayaking, etc.  The launch ramps and parking lot at Tygart Lake have been expanded recently, so there's easy access for boaters.

One sad thing about Tygart Lake:  There was lots of trash on the banks when I visited.  When I spoke to the park superintendent, he says it washes in during the rainy winter months and becomes visible when the water recedes during the summer months.  The U-S Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for the clean-up since the lake and Tygart Lake Dam are part of the local flood control efforts.  They need to do a better job of trash removal!

Lake in the mountains

Had a amazing time camping in this are. The camp sites are neat and clean. A lot of hiking trails to choose from and fishing, boating and swimming in the lake. Good place for a weekend trip

Nice place

Had a great time with family and friends

Love this park, bathrooms need updates

I love this park, and I love camping here. I’ve been coming here for 35 years, it’s so peaceful and everyone is exceptionally friendly. The sites are great, but the bathrooms have been exactly the same for 30+ years. They’re “fine” and “clean” - meaning they are cleaned regularly for human filth but they are dirty and old from wear and tear - and it’s be great to see the park update them.