The best WALK IN camping near

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Judson Camping Reviews
SO MUCH HISTORY

Cross Ranch State Park, ND

This campground was CROWDED. Every spot was full. That being said it was not loud, just a low mumble :) of fellow campers. The spots, well they were close but situated in a way that you weren’t sitting staring at your neighbor. There were trees and foliage between the rows so it was comfortable. The showers were in the front office so like a half mile walk from my site. They were clean and well maintained. The trails were close by though. A scenic walk along the River where Lewis and Clark traveled. Cool stuff. Up the road was a extremely interesting, National Historic Site we visited. I didn’t but I imagine fishing was good and of course water travel. The staff was friendly and Informative. Good campground to visit.

Gem of a campsite

Why is this free?! Perfect overnight on our road trip. Spacious, easy and the cleanest pit toilet I’ve ever used!

• Easy to get to. We followed Waze to “Sweet Briar Lake” and looked at Apple Maps to get a sense of the layout. From the highway there are signs to the lake recreation area. Lots of site choices with fire rings and picnic tables. Looking at the map, the little lakefront loops have sites. We arrived after dark and had no problem finding a great waterfront spot.
  • Lots of space, super clean and, when we were there Thurs night early Sept, we saw a camper on the far end of “our” loop and one across the lake. That’s it and that’s about how we like it.
  • Very clean pit toilet with tp. No water or electric, per another reviewer (we weren’t looking for it).
  • Bonus: Great stars with the Milky Way spread out above. Sunrise was gorgeous. Big fish jumping in the lake.
  • Light highway rumbling but nothing to keep you awake (not at all like most KOAs :)

Edit: Drove 10 mins towards town and got a flat tire. Can’t tell how or why. Probably not anything we picked up by the lake but worth mentioning.

Scenic spot right off the highway

Multiple places to pull off and set up around a scenic lake. A few minutes off the highway on well maintained roads- you can’t ask for a better spot than this on a road trip! Water pump at the first boat ramp you pass, pit toilets scattered around, picnic shelters, fire rings, and picnic tables, dumpsters. No fee. The spot marked on this map is under a cell tower, but there are plenty of spots when you drive around the lake.

Clean truth here!

The camp around this area is very plain. And when I’m mean plain I mean the GREAAAT Plains! We had a whole bunch of fun learning about the camp and General Custard. There is a bunch of history and many happy faces in this area. Everything you would need here is only a stone throw away. We enjoyed all the surround community and the bike/hiking trails the most.

If I were to do one thing over, I would have stayed here for more than 4 days. Much to do and see.

Great, spacious campsites right off the freeway

This place was great! Only stayed here one night passing through on our way back to MN. Very well maintained and clean, huge campsites that are well spaced from others. There are campsites all around the lake/park, some in their own little private nook. Great sunset and the bugs were minimal too. Very surprised that a place as nice as this one is free. The freeway is somewhat close just across the lake and can be heard, but it didn't bother us at all. Campsites have a picnic table and fire ring. Vault toilets are scattered around the lake, and there are water spigots too. Happy we found this place!

Space—-and lots of it!

I throughly enjoyed this park. Very affordable and plenty of room between campers. We had so much fun riding bike and viewing the river!

We viewed the Custard House and it was very interesting as well, it’s a must see!

This site was very quiet and the park rangers are always patrolling it felt very safe here.

Beautiful Riverfront

Stayed for free, but I really dont think it was supposed to be based on the county website… oops lol but the sheriff that passed by my tent paid us no mind. The sounds of the river were great, but ruined by the sounds of the vehicles going further south to the fishing and boat docks. About 1am is when the vehicles going by stopped until about 7am so that wasn't too fun. I would stay here again, but not in the middle of summer in a tent. It didn't get cold enough to sleep until 2am

Nice place off the highway

Short drive off the highway quite a few camping spots.

Lots of activities and history for your stay!

Another well maintained campground and even better state park with tons of different things to do with the entire family. For the campground there are tons of trees that offer great shade and trails for walking. The shower house is very clean and felt"modern" for a state park. If you like history and camping this is your spot.

Check out our blog at www.unnamedadventures.com and follow our journey on Facebook and Instagram or on our YouTube Channel at Unnamed Adventures.

Good camping and fishing

A number of good spots to camp is a little hilly as trying to find a tent spot out of the open is challenging but fun. Plenty of fishing spots even has a fishing dock. Only real down side is that it's right off the interstate so there's some traffic noise.