Equestrian
About Buffalo Gap Campground

Buffalo Gap Campground features many amenities for an enjoyable camping experience. A camp host is on site from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

National Forest
No Market
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Buffalo Gap Campground is located in North Dakota
Directions
 Approximately seven miles west of Medora, ND on I-94 at exit 18 just off of Forest Road 726A.
8 Reviews of Buffalo Gap Campground
Peaceful and clean!

NF Campground. Pay $6 per night or less with America the Beautiful pass. First come first serve. Lovely wildflowers to admire. Right on Buffalo Gap Trail which bypasses TRNP for us MTB folk.

Amazing, secluded, beautiful. Heated Shower stalls, flush toilets, $6!

This was a real gem.  Very close to the entrance to Teddy Roosevelt NP, it was perfect for our camper.  Big rigs would be fine there, but I did not see any drive through sites.

First we were amazed that it was open when nearly all state, local, and federal campgrounds were closed. Next we were impressed by the quality of the sites: clean, mowed, fire pits, nice picnic tables, paved road (and I think the slabs were paved?), but the OMG was the individual shower rooms with radiant heat that was motion activated.

There are no hookups, despite what other sites may claim.  But hydrants were plentiful and the clean flush toilets and hot free showers made this a perfect place for you if you don't need to be hooked up to water and power.  It was only $6 a night and that was not a discount, that was full price!!!

The interstate was just over the ridge, out of site but you knew it was there.  This is I-90 in Western ND, so traffic noise was not an issue at all.  The first night I was woke by a plane flying overhead, so you know that the Interstate was truly not an issue at all.

Actually, being close to the interstate meant being close to the park, which is fabulous.  We loved the Grand Canyon a few years ago, but meaning no disrespect, this was a far more enjoyable experience.  You have the color, the rugged creation, but you are going in it, and through it, and on top of it.  Buffalo, prairie dogs, Big Horn Sheep,
wild horses, deer, eagles, warblers, jack rabbits, antelope, and that is just what we saw in a day and a half!

Beautiful Scenery

Campground was clean and well maintained, camp hosts were friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Easy access, nice parking pads, have picnic tables and fire rings at each camp site.  Offers RV dump and potable water in campground.  Does not have hook ups and have limited times to run a generator. Great option close to Medora (7 miles) without the hustle and bustle of town.  Very beautiful views of the badlands.  Easy access to trails for hiking and biking.

Grassy!

From reading other reviews, this is the best you'll find in the area. Bare bones camp sites, mostly in the open. I found a nice space on a grove of trees, and there were a few others like it. $6 per night! Free showers! The water was a tad sulfuric and had a slimy feel, but I feel refreshed and I don't smell like the road. A little bit of high speed trucker freeway tire noise in the near distance, but overall a great overnight experience. FYI, I pulled in at 2am in the height of summer, and there were plenty of sites to be had.

Grassy!

Bbeautiful and quiet. Super close to Medora ND

Much to be desired

Not much privacy. The site or group site that we stay at has no grass, is on top of a hill with no protection or privacy which most of the campground is similar. There is also a bar just around the corner which gets quite noisy if bands are playing on the weekends. There is one restroom facility with showers.

Midnight Arrival

We were thankful to have found Buffalo Gap Campground on our return drive home from Glacier National Park. There are not a lot of options when driving the lonely highways of Northrn Montana. When we arrived at the campsite at Midnight during a thunderstorm, we were surprised to see so many available sites that were level for our small A-frame Popup. While located right off the highway, the noise was not excessive. Due to other reviews we had anticipated paying to take a shower; however the coin slots were taped over and we showered for free with plenty of pressure and hot water. We spoke to the very friendly camp host the next morning and he confirmed the nightly charge of $6 per site. If you have the National Park Senior pass it is only $3!!! Quite the bargain for a night's stay in a very clean and convenient campground. Note: The cost may increase to $10 in the future, but even that is still a bargain!