Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
About Juniper Campground

As the name implies, Rocky Mountain juniper, as well as prairie cottonwood, shade the North Unit Juniper Campground.  Located along the banks of the Little Missouri river, the quiet campground is the starting point for many hikes within the park including the Little Mo and South Achenbach trails.  Just across from the campground, cannonball concretions can be found at the Buckhorn trailhead.

National Park Service
Juniper Campground is located in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota
Directions
From 85 S: Located approximately 14 miles south of Watford City on 85 S. Make a right into Theodore Roosevelt National Park, proceed 5 miles, make a left into Juniper Campground. From 85 N: Located approximately 50 miles north of Belfield on 85 N. Make a left into Theodore Roosevelt National Park, proceed 5 miles, make a left into Juniper Campground.
9 Reviews of Juniper Campground
Buffalo!

This campground sits on the riverbank of the Little Missouri River. There is a resident bison herd that is very comfortable in the area. We woke up one morning to see one grazing 20 feet from our tent. No showers but makes up for it by having space available for a drop in on the 4 th of July weekend! Warning: mature cottonwood trees can drop a branch without warning. The unit next to us had a large limb come down on a windless night. Luckily it was a pull through and dropped on the opposite side of the tree from the tent trailer. Try for a unit with small cottonwood trees!

Teddy Roosevelt National Park camping

Really beautiful site here with lots of easy and moderate trails to explore with lovely sunrise/sunset and wildlife! Similar feel to Badlands with some fewer crowds. You can’t choose a bad place to camp but be sure to drive through both the north and south areas. Pretty simple campground. Plan to stay at least two nights.

Yay: some of the sites are first come/first serve so if you don’t have a reservation you might get a spot (yay spontaneous adventures). Lots of different campsite configurations so you don’t have to be next to an RV in your tent.

Nay: pretty much guaranteed to fill up on summer/holiday weekends, trails were muddy when we were there in July.

Surprise: BISON EVERYWHERE!! If you have kids don’t let them wander around, the bison are close and plentiful!!

Fall camping

I decided to go camping for the weekend. Went to TRNP.north unit. Even though the trees were bare..it was still breathtaking. The Buttes and Vistas, the buffalo, the river.i couldn't get enough. I was the only one in the park ..so I had a nice quiet weekend The park ranger ( P.Thomas) Stopped by for a chat. He explained the buffalo Roundup to me. He was so nice and very informative. The campground as usual was spotlessly clean. I will continue to to return again and again.

Now I know why Teddy Roosevelt loved North Dakota! Check out Juniper to camp!

I have already posted my review for the Theodore Roosevelt South campground - Cottonwood. I won't repeat myself too much. Believe it or not, but I would put the North unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park even ahead of Yosemite.

The trees and the canopy in the Juniper campground is really cool. Especially against the terrain that surrounds it. The campground is low on amenities but high on scenery, and it is very clean.

The hiking in the North unit is amazing. There is so much wildlife. Never have I been so close to so many animals in the wild. I saw a lot of wildlife in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, but not as much as I did here.

I never thought I would ever want to visit North Dakota. Honestly, I cant wait to go back. This place will blow your expectations, especially if you take an adventure on a hike or two. In the North unit, I highly suggest stopping at the River Bend Overlook and hiking down to the CCC shelter for some amazing views. Then drive to the end of the road and take a quick hike to Sperati Point.

Small

The site was really small. It was slightly crowded being only me and my husband. The site could fit two tents but we would occasionally bump into each other. The site is really clean and is surrounded by grass. During the drive you can see buffalo on the side eating.

A North Dakota Gem

While this may be in the middle of nowhere, it is worth the trip off the beaten path. From what I understand, the north unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park is even leas visited and less crowded. We were there in the middle of the summer and only saw a handful of others. The scenery is breathtaking and unique, not exactly like anything else I have ever seen. There are abundant buffalo wandering the fields roads. The campground was quiet and clean, kind of in a prairie with abundant trees. While we didn't go hiking, there are a few trails, both long (18 mile backpacking loop) and short. If you are making the trip to Glacier from the east, don't miss this park/campground!

buffalo

Buffalo walking through the campground- how awesome :) We were just passing through on our way to Glacier NP and spend a night here, but have decided we must return. This park is not overly popular or busy, which was a bit of the appeal. The sites and bathrooms were average, but an enjoyable place to spend the night. A couple good-sounding hikes that we want to try.

Nature at its best

Amazing! We took our two boys August of 2015. The weather was amazing. we spent the day in the town of Medora which has so much to do and so filled with history .back at the campground, which we located a spot right next to the river ,the boys went fishing. Then we drove around and saw 3 herds of wild horses. we saw Buffalo also. Though not as many as in the north unit. the bathrooms have running water and are immaculately clean. the campgrounds are clean and well kept and the oark rangers were friendly.

A must see

The scenery is breath taking. The abundance of wildlife is amazing. The campground is well kept and the park Rangers are friendly and knowledgeable. The Buffalo come right in the campground. Amazing experience