West Fargo, NORTH DAKOTA

Most Recent West Fargo Camping Reviews
Urban camping

Camped here due to my son having a swim meet in Fargo and we were going to tack on camping in Glacier National Park after this. So decided to camp in Fargo. This camp is in a public park next to the river. The park is big and appears to be well utilized by the public. We stayed in the B loop which is by the river. The A loop is basically a parking lot next to the bath house, and it seems like there was very little room between campers/ really packed them in there- would suffice for a night passing through. The B loop sites were also small with little room between neighbors and nothing in between sites, no trees. On the weekend there were people cutting through our site to fish the river which made us a bit nervous since we had our two kids with us and also worried about theft. There was significant noise from the nearby interstate (trucks, cars, and frequent sirens from police) and bright lights shining which made it hard for us to sleep.

The bathrooms and showers were adequate and fairly clean. Saw the occasional local homeless person come utilize the facility which also made us nervous. Nothing ever happened but could be safety issue with children.

There was rental bikes and canoes which was fun for the kids, as well as fishing- only caught one catfish but was fun anyway. There was firewood for sale and snacks available for purchase if needed.

Cost was a bit steep at $30 - we use a tent. Most people were in campers. Each site had water and electric though which was convenient. Not high in our list to return to but met our needs and we had a good time overall.

Check out the Prairie
  • This was my first time seeing a prairie. It was a really neat experience.
  • This Minnesota state park is just outside of Fargo,ND, so it makes for a great get away in nature just outside of the hustle and bustle of the city.
  • I recommend camping in one of the sites beside the Prairie.
  • Extremely clean bath houses.
  • Beware of mosquitos!
Beautiful area for dispersed camping

We dispersed camped for 1 night while walking along the North Country trail. It is a quiet and safe, we parked at the trail head and intended to hike to mirror lake but didn't make it in that far and found a nice place to stop along the way.

There are cows around the prairie which leads to cattle gates along the trail, just a quick flip up of the gate and you are on your way! I recommend selecting an area where the cows are not currently in. Also, note since there area cows and these are equestrian trails keep your eyes open for any droppings along the trail :)

Overall, lovely and cost effective option for a hike and camp.

No Overnight Camping

Called Rothsay PD. Need City Councils approval first.

Small, nice campground

It looks like improvements are underway! We plan on going back when the weather is warmer.

Three seasons of camping

I have camped at Buffalo River State Park at different times. Summer is a very nice time to be there as the park is far enough from city lights to be able to see all the stars in the ski. The trails are well kept. I prefer a camp site with an electric outlet so I can brew my favorite coffee in the morning. That is my one habit. By October the weather is cooler and very nice for camping. Building a fire feels better too after a day of hiking. Cooking a plate of pasta tastes great after a long day.

Easy camping spot

This is a great location if you are just getting into the camping lifestyle. The easy to drive to camp sites and flat geography make it easy to find that perfect spot. If you want to fall asleep and wake up to the sound of running water, you are able to get a site near Buffalo River. If planning on hiking with younger children, the trails around the camp site are very easy as the offer very little elevation change and are very well groomed. The park itself is very pretty all year round whether it's in spring/early summer and seeing the wildflowers and prairie smoke or the fall and the dazzling display of colors.

some lots are better than others

Let me start off by saying, this is a picturesque park and campground located in the heart of Fargo with plenty of trails and paths to go around! we were in the A lot. our spot was pretty spacious, but a lot of the spots in this area were pretty tight. the other downside was the proximity to the interstate. this made for a pretty noticeable drone of vehicles. Would recommend staying in the B lot, spots are spaced apart more, facing the river, and are further away from the Interstate. will definitely be back, just in a different part of the campground.

Great day park

We often take our dog here on the weekends for longer, out of city limits walks. The trails are the perfect amount for that purpose and he enjoys the wildlife that hides in the natural prairie fauna. The trails hug the river so there's easy enough access if you wanted to play in the water. You do have to walk through some brush however, so be aware.

The swimming area is wonderful! Less chlorine than you'd ever get exposed to in a public pool and picnic table access with lots of area to picnic.

We have not camped in this park yet.

everything you need in this small park

we love Buffalo River and try to make it out to at least enjoy the trails once a week. it's about a 15 minute drive from Fargo, with a few smaller towns closer for picking up things you may have forgotten.

there are several rv spots and a separate tent section. bathhouse in good condition. trails along and the river and through the prairie. they even have a swimming pond in the summer.

stunning no matter the season

Not exactly accommodating

The phone system relies on a return call. They did return the call but I was on the road and missed it. I called back (remember, it's a system, not a person) and told them we were on our way. They did call back and say they had room for us and the site would be there. I called again, with my name and number, and said we were close and would be there. When we arrived the woman didn't recognize my name and dismissively said they were full. She was adamant about us not having a paid reservation. She had not received the message that we were coming in. We ended up driving another four hours (on top of the eight we had already driven) to find another campground that could accommodate us. The park looked nice enough but, based on the non-caring attitude, we will not return to stay.

Decent place to stay near the lake

Not a bad place to stay. Only have electrical hook ups, water fill station available. More or less just a field with power poles in it. We stay every year in July. Nothing fancy, but its near town and we've had pretty good experience with them.

A remote camp with trails right there

.Built 3 years ago, Jorgen’s Hollow is a new campground that is in the Sheyenne Grasslands. Half the sites are for people with horses and half are for those without. During my 2 night stay, most sites were empty. If it fills up, there is a campground just down the roads a piece.

Sites are very different. Choose one in the shade or sun. Some have more space than others. There is a central hand pump for water. Vault restrooms are at each end. The North Country Trail goes right through camp. Hike (or ride your horse) it into the grasslands or the other way to join more trails.

There is no fee to camp here until the fall of 2018. We couldn’t pass up 2 free nights in a quiet and remote setting. Getting up early and out onto the trail in the cool morning let us relax as the day warmed up. A midnight walk let all the stars strut their stuff.

Thrre are horses and riders who camp here so be aware they added some noises to keep my dog interested. You might consider bringing your own water - the water from the pump has particulates in it. This is also a “pack it in, pack it out place” for now. Bring your trash out with you.

This place is a beautiful find!

Very nice, great man made swimming beach.

This place has a great swimming beach with beautiful tree filled campground.

So peaceful!

I went camping in the Grasslands with my family last fall, we enjoyed it so much, we went back for a second time the following weekend. Very peaceful at the minimal campground. We also hiked a trail and saw so many different plants

Open campground

The campground was pretty open, but it was a fun place. There is a swimming pond close to the campground and some open area to play lawn games. Would go back here!

Alright place to stay outside of city

Very quiet not sure people allow real camping there. Paid way too much for just 8hrs. No alcohol allowed big downfall for campers. Wouldn't stay again.

Nice!

The campground is very nice with all facilities either new or extremely clean and well kept. Overall, I was thrilled with the campground but I honestly didn't care for the Fargo area. There was always a strong smell of sulfur in the air and very little to do. The Roosevelt National Park is a few hours drive away if you are in the area and need some good outdoor entertainment.

Sherin Memorial Park

This is a welcome find along the Northern Tier bicycle route by Adventure Cycling. Showers and restrooms were unexpected but very nice. The water was a little iffy. One spigot said that the water was not drinkable and the other spigot didn't have a sign. We assumed it was drinkable and are alive to say it was. There is a bridge crossing the water and beautiful walkways. The international flags adorned the bridge by day and were taken down nightly.

Fishing is fantastic

The fishing here is amazing. You can fish right by your camp. The owners are very nice people and helpful for someone that didnt really know the area. I was just passing through but I'm so glad I did!

Nice campground - swimming hole

Nice enough to get away from the city - firewood from the park itself was damp and unlightable.