Theodore Roosevelt National Park, NORTH DAKOTA

Camping North Dakota Theodore Roosevelt National Park
Most Recent Theodore Roosevelt National Park Camping Reviews
Great little spot .but bathroom

Great spot tent's are on there own grass spot the rv spot's that i seen looked small if you had bigger rig  would be very tight . The guy that lives on site was very nice when i bothered him with question's at home while making dinner twice .Also the public access restroom's were not open and the only bathroom in the tent area was very nasty with fly's and completely full so we had to ride are motorcycle to the rv site bathroom that also had shower's .This was the more costly camp out of the 3 we stayed at at 27.oo not bad for one night there were train's but no other campers so did get good nights sleep

Yikes

Looking at a map, you’d think this place would be great. It’s off the main road and by a lake. However, none of the campsites are very close to the lake. Instead, they occupy a short block away from the lake and though the parking spaces are lined with trees, the sites themselves are not so you are a good 20ft from the camp next to you. Oh, and did I mention that there’s a huge industrial factory right next door? I thought I might wake up a super hero…(or villain 😏). OH! And did I mention there’s a train track right nearby with trains that run pretty much throughout the night, tooting their horns to warn all of the people NOT driving on this random back road between the hours of midnight and 5am that they are barreling through?

Yeah, steer clear.

Great campground

As the only campground in TRNP South, it’s the place to be when visiting this section of the park. Most of the best sites are reservable so jump on those if you can, otherwise there are plenty of good non reservable sites as well (evens I believe). I was fortunate enough to stumble across a couple leaving a non reservable site by the river around 10am and snagged that spot (52?). Great spot with plenty of necessary shade and a great view of sunset falling behind the hills.

There isn’t much to do right from the campsite but you’re a short drive from most of the parks highlights (scenic drive, hiking from the Valley Lodge). Be sure to take a drive at sunset one night. The view from the short Wind Canyon trail is stunning at this hour and you may run into some Bison leaving the river along the way.

Will use this platform to also note that TRNP is one of my favorite hidden gem NP’s around. Didn’t know a thing about it ‘til I got there and absolutely loved it. The more prairie-like section of the “badlands.”

Great place!!!

It is a very great campground. Great fishing, great spots, awesome fire pits and very family friendly.. and the rangers are very helpful

Nice little surprise.

Nice park on the lake. Electric and water on the west side, dump station there too.$26 The two site on either end are 50 amp the rest are 30 amp. East side is dry camping at $16. Near some train tracks but they don't seem to blow the horn as much at night. The staff was friendly.

More an RV park than a campground.

We had trouble finding a campground near Theadore Roosevelt NP and had to settle on this one. It was in Medora,SD and the spaces were extremely close to each other. It was a convent to get to the NP and the staff there was very friendly. They could use some maintainer and cleaning on their bath house. It was had spiderwebs everywhere and was not very clean. They had full hook-ups and some spots with just water. This campground was geared more for people staying only a few nights to watch the towns musical MEDORA not really for camping.

Beautiful Scenery

Campground was clean and well maintained, camp hosts were friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Easy access, nice parking pads, have picnic tables and fire rings at each camp site.  Offers RV dump and potable water in campground.  Does not have hook ups and have limited times to run a generator. Great option close to Medora (7 miles) without the hustle and bustle of town.  Very beautiful views of the badlands.  Easy access to trails for hiking and biking.

Convenient base to explore Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Two loops; the north loop is open year-round. The south loop is open mid-May through September. There are also walk-in sites and a group site, off the south loop. The campground fills up almost every day in the summer, even during the week. Odd-numbered sites are reservable while even number sites are first-come, first-served. We were not able to get into the site we had reserved (a nice pull-through with views of the bluffs and the river) because the people staying there the night before were having difficulty with their RV and not able to move it. We had been re-assigned to Site 38, a much larger site, but among the trees with no view. We were bummed but had no choice as the campground was full. We thought we might try to move the next day, but it turns out friends were able to join us, so our large site ended up being to our advantage. The pull-through in Site 38 was so large that it could have easily accommodated three large Class A motorhomes with room to spare! Large picnic table that was pushed up against the trees; we discovered the next afternoon that it was to take advantage of as much shade as possible. No fire ring; campfires are permitted in charcoal bbq grates or fully contained fire pans. Wood was not available to purchase at the campground; you must go to Medora(about five miles away) to purchase or you can collect dead and down firewood. Bathroom was clean enough with flush toilets but NO SOAP! No showers but we didn’t expect them in a National Park campground. Several very short trails in the park but the most popular Petrified Forest Trail is accessible from outside the park. Saw bison, prairie dogs, pronghorn antelope, wild horses.

Temporarily Closed

Went all the way down the road to the lake. When we got to the end there was a closed sign. Appears they are flooding badly. Wish they would have had a sign at the train tracks considering the road only leads to the lake. Appears no other way to get to the lake.

Beautiful and short walk to the Little Missouri River. Very close to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Nice size camping spots.

It’s okay

This is hot spot for the area. While it has some pros there is a huge con

Pros: Great Lake with best fishing you can get Activities such as swimming, trails, basket ball, geocaching and lots of activities put on by the park Cabin rentals Swimming beach Small craft rentals such SUP 2 playgrounds Dock/ boat launch/ boat storage

Cons: There is absolutely no space or privacy. Expect to be feet away from your neighbor.

Very few trees except for the older lane nearer the lake. The newer loop has no trees, shelter or shade. Prepare the bake.

People books spots for week and months. Getting a “good” space is pretty dismal.

There a few trees in the older part

Great base camp for exploring TRNP

Camping inside National Parks is always a treat. Cottonwood Campground makes exploring Theodore Roosevelt NP very accessible. The site is close to the river and you can easily walk to it from the campground. Very peaceful and secluded, it makes you feel like you are really in the wild. We saw bison and wild horses across the river from the campground. Some sites don’t have a lot of shade so get there early if you want a site with trees.

Pleasantly surprised

After arriving late for a site in the Theodore Roosevelt NP we decided on this one. Since I have a small van with a bed I was able to get a nice tent site with plenty of room to spread out. Bathrooms and showers are nice and clean. Surprised to see bats flying at night it was actually cool. Definitely would stay here again.

Grassy!

From reading other reviews, this is the best you'll find in the area. Bare bones camp sites, mostly in the open. I found a nice space on a grove of trees, and there were a few others like it. $6 per night! Free showers! The water was a tad sulfuric and had a slimy feel, but I feel refreshed and I don't smell like the road. A little bit of high speed trucker freeway tire noise in the near distance, but overall a great overnight experience. FYI, I pulled in at 2am in the height of summer, and there were plenty of sites to be had.

Grassy!

Rustic National Park camping

I have mixed feelings on this campground. We were here mid- July and it was incredibly hot. There is limited shade and little relief from the heat. We had a nice site with the river running alongside it, but it was a dark muddy brown, so not at all enticing to go in it. The host was very friendly and helpful. Bathrooms & water access were nearby but there are no showers within the park. There was also no soap in the bathroom. I was disappointed that there are no fire pits, just small grills at each site. I understand there is probably a moderately high fire danger in the park often, but disappointing nonetheless. The campground has tent, RV and walk in sites available. Some are reservable- some not. The scenery is beautiful in a weird, other worldly way. Unfortunately it was challenging to enjoy it fully due to the 90+ degree temps.

Great camping & fishing

This is one of our favorite places to camp because fishing is awesome out there. Usually a pretty busy place, so if you are looking for seclusion you won’t find it here. We tent camp so we aren’t as packed as the rvs but still a great place to be & fish for all the species that the lake has to offer

Cute spot

Cute spot to go fishing or boating, but I wouldn’t camp here. The pervious review said the water is dirty… it comes off the confluence and Yellowstone at a fast pace. I wouldn’t say it’s dirty to swim in or fish in. I’ve done both & have a great time out there… except for camping, I need more privacy then what they offer.

Great camping

No fish!

Nice camp

Very open area not much shade making the site not very private. Staff is nice and accommodating. Showers are 1$ for 8 minutes. Close to trails and close to Medora which is the closest city to Theodore Roosevelt national park. A good alternative for tent camping if you can get into cottonwood because it’s too full.

Great place

Really enjoyed staying here. I had to stay elsewhere the first night I cake because the campsite was full so make sure to get there early for walk in or make reservations. Great views great staff. Lots of families and children if your ok with that. Spaces are not very private.

Glorious

This spot is unbelievable. Gorgeous views. Buffalo in the campground. Quiet, private enough, clean pot toilets, secure bear garbages. Just amazing!

Large, tree-filled site within walking distance to the river.

Plenty of trees provide privacy in this nice National Park campsite that's just a short walk to the banks of the Little Missouri River. Has the standard National Park features, but our kids especially enjoyed the ranger presentation on prairie dogs.

Nice little park

We really enjoyed this site. The views were great. Park will be even better in the future with all the new trees they have growing. Bathrooms and pay showers were in great shape. Kids loved the horses that people brought to ride.

Memorial Day

Great little campground. Friendly hosts, clean, plenty of spots and didn’t even fill up for the holiday weekend. Bison will definitely stroll through your sites if you’re over by the field like we were. Peaceful and beautiful.

A Cheap Alternative

A cheaper alternative to TRNP’s Juniper Campground. This campground offers beautiful panoramic views of the North Dakota Badlands. Additionally, you can access the Maah Daah Hey Trail and explore the Badlands from here. The campground is well kept and is typically pretty quiet. There are no showers, but there is toilets and accessible drinking water.

Tight and dusty, but close to Teddy Roosevelt

We stayed 3 nights in a PT FHU for $177. The sites are dusty red dirt (but that's the natural landscape of the area) and a little close together. The staff is very friendly and they have a small store on site. There's a picnic table, but it was very hot outside without shade. There's a great creek within walking distance that you can cool off in and let the dogs run around. The proximity to Teddy Roosevelt NP is the winner to stay!

Bbeautiful and quiet. Super close to Medora ND

Perfect for fishing

Its perfect for fishing and kayaking

A beautiful camp!

This camp is wonderful, and I would definitely stay here again!