Audubon, NEW JERSEY

Most Recent Audubon Camping Reviews
Outstanding 👍🏼👍🏼

Quaint and rustic, heavily wooded. Makes you feel like your camping, not just lined up next to a bunch of campers. Great service and amenities, very friendly and helpful staff ⛺️⛺️⛺️⛺️

Peace and Quiet

Since it was late in the season, I called ahead to make sure this campground (22 individual sites plus two group sites and four cabins– two rustic and two modern) was still open. I was reassured that it was, that reservations were not needed, and that a ranger would come around to collect our fee ($30 cash or check). We arrived around 6 pm to a completely empty campground. Granted it was a rainy Sunday night, but the gates were open and so were the restrooms, so we settled into site 16, across from the restrooms. Aside from occasional road noise on Cafferty Road, we didn’t hear any noise or see another soul (including the ranger) during our overnight stay. There was no place to self/register/pay that we could find. The next morning, we woke to sunshine and the campground looked beautiful. No hookups and the bathrooms were reasonable but not the best we’ve encountered. The shower did not look very appealing. I did not see the cabins or the pool that is open Memorial Day through Labor Day. I read that two water releases each year in March and early November are very popular for whitewater rafters and many of these paddlers stay in the cabins and campground. I also read about hiking trails but could not find them on the Google map on my phone. Not seeing much to do, we packed up and left what was likely the most peaceful night of camping we’ve experienced in a long time!

Great getaway from the everyday rat race

Looking for a place to escape without having to drive out of your way to get to? Lower forge is the place. One if the few places in New Jersey you have to backpack into with access from either (Atsion 5+ miles in) or Batsto (7 miles) located right on the Basto River you’re even able to boat in. It’s one of my personal favorites to disappear for a weekend and great for beginners who you’re trying to break into backpacking. Located right off the Batona trail your bound for adventure.

Red wing lakes

Season camped for 2 years there. Swimming lake catch and release lake sells wood has bath houses, electric, water and sewer hookups. They always have something going on. And a skeet range

Kayaking

Had a great weekend with my family.

Great place to grow up

I grew up with Tyler in my backyard (literally)

Great campground

Enjoyed a site away from the crowds. Quiet. Peaceful. Place is huge with many campsites to choose from. Checking in is slow so come early.

Friendly Staff / Great Location

One of favorite spots! This is the second year we've stayed here. We had a scenic site along the Brandywine River. We had a great couple of families stay next to us and our kids made quick friends with their's. They played in the woods, road bike, jumped on the air mattress the campground has, and many rounds of Gaga Ball.

There is also a great run for the dogs to get off the leash for a bit. Our German Shepard made many a friend there. It served as a great place to meet other families as well as a great way to tire our pooch OUT.

We also did some hiking along the train tracks that boarder the campground. I regret not taking advantage of renting one of the KOA's canoes and floating down the Brandywine. There is something special about Chester County that is hard to find anywhere else. So much history and beauty everywhere you go within the county. We will return and are looking forward to it already.

Another eastern PA gem!

Love it here!Great place to picnic fish from land or boat, go for a nice scenic walk, go Kayaking, etc. If you don't own a boat, you can rent one right at the lake. There is a place here swim as well even though we never swam. The lake is huge and the the area is clean and beautiful! My family and I love going to Nockamixon.DCNR is on top of their game here and my dogs love it as well!There a a couple little spots around the area that have great food as well! Lots of things to do and plenty of room to explore and the cabins are nice and very inexpensive if you want to camp but don't like tents.It's a nice place for boating, but it's pretty popular so don't expect isolation. There are at least three boat launches…one at either end and one in the middle. You can kayak there but the whole lake permits wakes so expect for some choppyness as the boats go back and forth. There are a lot of sailboats there though so at least they're nice to look at.

All around great outdoorsmans park!

Great park to do everything outdoorsy including, hiking, horseback riding, hunting and fishing. I cought a beautiful Brown Trout here a few weeks ago! Great park.(I put the Trout back in, it was very healthy and I managed to get the hook out quickly, otherwise he would have been dinner!) You need a license to fish, and if you plan on catching Trout you need the Trout endorsement on the fishing licence, currently$9.90.The restroom facilities we're clean. There were plenty of maps and brochures available at the different parking areas. It was a great place to walk with your dog and enjoy the Pennsylvania outdoors.

Perfect getaway campground near Philly

We love French Creek, it is a short drive from Philly(about an hour in light traffic), but it feels like you left the city far behind you.Campsites are clean and we'll maintained. Some sites are a bit more private than others, but we've had both and they're perfectly fine. The bathrooms& showers are convenient and clean.Access to boat rentals & a swimming pool(both are a bit more expensive than you might expect-- so we just decide on one to do). Town of Birdsboro is nearby for necessary things(drinks, ice cream, etc). All in all, our family's favorite summer spot.The neighboring Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site is also very interesting. During the summer months, the pool(very large) is open to the public for a fee, and there's a lake for boating(but no swimming). I highly recommend this place for a great day trip any time of year.

Great stay

Had a great getaway here in early September. During the week it was quiet the weekend came and every site filled up. Even picked fresh apples just down the road.

Nice, spacious campground in DE

This State park campground is very well maintained. The staff is friendly. Quiet, clean area and had no problem navigating in our 40’ 5th wheel. Great place to stay and check out “Lower, slower Delaware.”

Stay here when visiting Philly!

This is a very nice KOA, just over the Delaware River from Philly. The park is clean, quiet, full of families. The staff are friendly and welcoming. It’s easy to navigate to the park from the interstate, and big rigs fit easily. I would definitely plan to stay here to visit Philly!

Good stop to visit Philly

We stayed here a week in October. The owners are nice and we found the campground to be quite and a good place to hop on a train and ride into Philly. We camped right by the large/nice playground that my kids enjoyed. It’s not far from town, but far enough to drown out the noise of the city.

Gorgeous in the fall

Stayed in B-08 on mid October and had a great trip. The site was non-electric and it seems most of the outer side of this loop is basic camping with the inside of the loop having power. The other loops offer full hookups but opting for this area kept us from being surrounded by massive RV's. Easy back in spot for our car, partially shaded, decent brush cover between sites and able to keep tent about 20 yards from the road on a crushed rock pad. I will say this site has a little bit of slope but nothing that affected our sleep. The fire ring is very high sided and if you're not sitting on a higher camp chairs you kind of miss the fire. Picnic table was sturdy but easy enough to move lnto place to fit our needs. Tons of hike mg within the park including some historic sites at Hopewell Furnace like the blacksmith shop and old residences. Checked in a. It before the stated 3pm time without issues. Very few rangers seen during stay but it is after labor day and most of the seasonal attractions like the pool etc were closed for the season. Very clean bathrooms with easy to use dish sinks on the outside. Overall for a trip that within 75 minutes of Philly you can't go wrong for a quick jaunt out of town.

Looks cool

Good to have a list of sites

Ranger Review: Wenzel Ivanhoe 6 Tent at French Creek State Park

Campground Review: French Creek State Park Campground is located in Elverson, Pennsylvania and sits adjacent to Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site. There are 200 individual sites in four loops, some with full hookups for RVs, some with electric only but mostly primitive sites. There are also several cottages, cabins and yurts available as well.

For this trip, my husband and I camped alongside our friends, which included three other couples and their children, so we took up two electric sites for the tent campers and two full hook up sites for our friends with RVs. We stayed in Loop C, which is the only dog friendly loop in the campground, on sites 35, 37, 39,& 40. Thankfully, a short walk to the bathroom facilities for us tent campers.

Normally site 35 would have been way too small for our usual gear– a behemoth 9X15 tent- but it was a perfect fit for the tent I was reviewing on this trip. Our friends, who have the same large tent as us, stayed on site 37 and had plenty of space to pitch it, but many of the sites surrounding ours were very rocky and left little option for a larger than normal sized tent so keep this in mind if you have a large family sized tent. I’ve included a few photos of the surrounding sites for future reference. The bath/shower house in this loop was adequate and includes two dish washing stations outside. The showers had good pressure and hot water. It was cleaned often throughout the weekend, however it is definitely in need of an update.

We also checked out the other loops for future use and found Loop A to have very spacious, less rocky sites, however, there was little shrubbery between each site, making them less private than the sites in Loop C.

There are two lakes in French Creek, Hopewell and Scott's Run and each contain many species of fish. We spent Saturday afternoon fishing but not catching anything at Scott's Run. It’s a beautiful location and it was still a fun way to spend the day with the kids away from the site.

We found several places nearby to purchase wood, besides the supermarket and a nursery in town, there are a few residents that sell it right on their front lawn so be on the look-out en route to the park entrance.

Generally, we camp in the off season, and usually have the whole place to ourselves, so I had some concern prior to arrival that every site in every loop was booked for the whole weekend and expected it to be noisy, however, I was pleasantly surprised. It was quiet and our neighbors were respectful of the quiet hours and our space. It was a wonderfully peaceful weekend for us all and we will definitely visit again soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Review: Wenzel Ivanhoe 6 Tent

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am occasionally offered the opportunity to test new outdoor products. For this trip I tested the Wenzel Ivanhoe 6 Tent https://wenzelco.com/ivanhoe-6/.

Generally, my husband and I use a larger ez up tent, but I liked this tent specifically for the design which is reminiscent of the tent my parents used when I was a child and figured it would be a good option for shorter weekend trips, rather than our 9X15 ez-up.

The set up was relatively easy, although one person might have some difficulty. It held up well during an evening thunderstorm, but for a small seam leak near the door. We believe this is a result of the fact that our site was slightly uneven and that particular corner was not as evenly pitched with the other corners of the tent which resulted in a bit of a gap in the roof.

The airflow is great, with the small vent in the rear, two side windows and the full screen door. There are also two smaller vents at the top- though neither seem seem to add that much airflow,- perhaps a design flaw or more likely the uneven ground it was pitched on.

I love the fact that there are awnings over the side windows, but in order for them to be effective one must stake out three guy lines on each side, plus the one on the front and the back. Knowing this I had purchased some small lights to hang on the lines to prevent tripping on them at night and it worked out perfectly.

The front doors are secured closed from wind and rain by velcro strips, rather than the standard ties. There are four side pockets and a handy troubleshooting guide sewn into the interior wall for any issues you experience while in use, such as leaking, condensation, or a faulty zipper.

I am very happy with this tent. For the two of us it was the perfect size for our ten inch high queen size air mattress and some minimal gear. The peak height was just over 6 foot, so we were both able to stand upright without issue.

Very friendly, clean, nice store, extra helpful!!

This was our first time camping with our new to us pop up trailer and we decided to stay local Incase we ran into any problems!  We ended up pulling in after dark since we both ended up working late and took us about 1 1/2 hours to set up our water and electrical lines were short from where we parked and they lent us loaners for the weekend. Owners were extremely nice and helped us tremendously!  They have kayaking and tubing available with their own transport 2,3 and 5 hour trips and you come right back down to the campsite!!  Bring your own and just pay a small transport fee.  We will go back and do the kayaking for sure!! We had a beautiful weekend and the camp activities were great for the kids!!  Can’t wait to go back!!

It’s ok

Stayed here once a year for the past three years but this is the first time I feel I need to write a review. I felt like I was bothering the front desk by checking in. The golf carts driven by minors speeding through the park. The water stank and was straight brown. The site itself was ok and it had a concrete pad The dirt/sand roads were horrible. The pool was heated

7900 + acres of enjoyment and fishing too!

Our first shakedown of our new Ranger 12 Aliner camper. Reservations were easy through DCNR and check in was smooth. Level site, quiet evenings along with comfortable sleeping. Site was wooded, bathrooms/showers were good but required more attention in maintenance and follow up inspections throughout the day. Park offered hiking for visiting family members, something like 35 miles of trails, lakes, streams and offered fishing and boating opportunities. Enjoyed other local streams like Hay Creek, French Creek, and we are looking forward to fall trout fishing as well. Enjoy this gem.

Great campground

I've been camping at French Creek since I was a kid. I now take my daughter (6). I usually stay in loop A and enjoy the sites. Bathrooms are clean and easily accessible from any of the sites in the loop. The hiking trails are close by and there are plenty available. Never had a bad time there and will continue camping at French Creek for years to come.

Great place to stay

Mom was away so took 3 babies on a trip. Went to Ringing Rocks county park and the kids were having so much fun making music they didn’t want to leave. Made a last minute decision to try out Ringing Rocks Family Campground 2 minutes up the road instead of finding one back in Jersey. Owner was very accommodating. Campground was clean and well layed out. Kids had a blast with hay rides and playground. All other campers were very nice and courteous of noise curfew. Would Definetely go again and plan to next time with the wife as well.

Close to Philly

Stayed here in our RV. It was the closest campground to Philly so we called a Lyft to get us into the city. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We also filled our propane tank here The restrooms were immaculate compared to most campgrounds.

Small but clean

Stayed for a night and enjoyed our experience. Bathrooms were clean and the pool was nice but very cold!!!! Not a big Campground but they fit us in last minute.

Small but clean and friendly

Small but very clean campground. Great swimming pool. Lots of activities planned for kids over weekends. Hay ride etc.

Fun and natural experience

Wharton Forest has several campgrounds.

We tent camped at Atsion in 2015: had flush toilets and was close to the checkin station/store as well as the beach on the lake. Some sites were right on the water and the sites were very big.

We wanted a more rustic experience and tent camped at Bodine campground in 2018. Our site was right on Wading River and we launched our kayaks right at the site! Our tent is has a full view of the sky and at night it was like a planetarium as we admired the sky from our cots. Pit toilets, pump water, fire ring, nice big site. Road in is sandy but it is the pine barrens. Although we were there on Friday the 13th, sadly neither Jason or the Jersey Devil stopped by for s’mores.

Great State Park Campground

Plenty to do: Trails for biking and hiking, rentals (canoes, kayaks, paddle boats), Go Ape zip lines, playgrounds, fishing piers, and more. Well maintained, clean and friendly camp hosts. Sites are huge and most are level.  We stay here a few times throughout the year and have never been disappointed with the campground.

Nice county campground. Sand roads, nestled in stands of trees and brush.

Enjoyed the rustic setting.  In the sparse woods of the northern pine barrens. Nicely manicured sand roads and sites.  Stay in the outer loops if you like more privacy.

Beautiful park with gorgeous shore line

Love coming here with my family. This park has everything from trails and shore line to playground and pavilions. Isn’t a campground though.