Houston , MISSISSIPPI

8 Reviews1 Campground
Top Hike In Campground near Houston Mississippi

Most Recent Houston Camping Reviews
Quiet

Due to the "pandemic" the park was a little short staffed but the gentleman there was very helpful once he got to the office. I was only there for the one night but it was beautifully quiet and fairly well kept. I'd stay there again for sure.

Quiet

Remote & Serene

This state park is definitely “off the beaten path” — but if you’re looking for a quiet location, with few spaces for additional RV’s; this may be for you. (In total, there may be 18.. but they were not all occupied during our visit.) RV spacing is not bad.. most with full hookups.

The green space; natural habitat and night sounds get high marks from us.

Apple “Maps” took us on an interesting way to get to the park from the interstate.. we were concerned about low hanging tree limbs with our rig; but everything turned out ok.

If you like to jog; this is a great space for it. And, if you like disc golf, there’s an entire course.

We will be back.

To Each His Own

The park was nice but it's not my style of camping or at least not my site #008. My view was surrounded by campers, felt packed in like a sardine. (At the entrance to the camp sites seem to be the best ones, they'd be on the left as you enter) Some it may not bother them but I like more open wide spaces with my view of trees or a lake at least. Bathrooms were okay. No gate after hours. Very quiet though. Hiking was nice and there are many trails. Staff was Very friendly!!

Pleasantly surprised!!

We have camped at several MS state parks near Memphis (Tishomingo, Wall Doxey) and have left feeling like MS didn’t have a lot to offer, but Tombigbee State Park is great. There is a video included in the post which includes the entire campground area. I hope you find it helpful. Additionally, here is a basic overview of pros and cons:

Pros:

1. All sites close to the bathhouse
  2. Most sites with full hook up including sewer and 30/50 amp plugs. (see pics)
  3. Multiple updated playgrounds
  4. Very affordable. $24 a night for a full hook up site.
  5. Very walkable. Small campground with access to amenities by foot.
  6. Disc golf course is very fun. It is has an interesting layout in the woods so it is much like a hike.
  7. The park is near Tupelo, MS and there is a Dollar General right at the entrance to the park.
  8. If you are primitive camping, the tent camping area is outstanding. (see pic) There are picnic tables, elevated tent platforms, places for hammocks, a porch swing and bench around a raised fire pit. If you are primitive camping, it is a great place.
  9. There are several docks for fishing and there were signs for the option of boating with a trolling motor, but no one was boating while we were there.
  10. The park office was not open while we were here, but it did look updated
  11. Great for young kids because the campground is small with a flat loop that is easy for bike riding, skating, or scooters. It is easy to see the kids from your campsite and not worry about them getting lost
  12. frequent monitoring by the park rangers. Appears that this park is very well taken care of.

Cons:

1. Absolutely no shade on the playground.
  2. Inside loop spots are mostly close together. very little privacy.
  3. We were not able to view the inside of the bathhouse.
  4. only 20 sites and only 4 tent camping areas and were without water or electric.
  5. No SP swag so no stickers, patches, shirts, etc.

This is an A+ for the price, amenities and location to our home base of Memphis. We will definitely be back.

Beautiful with gorgeous trails and lots to do

Stayed for one night in an RV. Single female traveler with one dog. We hiked all the trails and they were well manicured and followed a frisbee golf course. They have full hookups and back in spots. I went in August and there were many vacancies. I stayed as a stop between destinations but could’ve easily made a trip out of the park itself. There were picnic tables, lots of trees, paved roads. I made reservations through reserve america. There was a camp host to answer questions .

Great park

This is a great park for any type of camping. We were in an RV, there is full hook up. There is a small lake and close to Tupelo. Has hiking and biking trails. Highly recommend !!!

Heavily wooded. Large lake for boating, fishing...

Very well kept. Frisbee golf. Ball field. Large lake. Very quiet.